Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,596Posts
    • 23,512Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 122/200
    GC YTD - 349/590
Page 34
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Feb 18, 9:36 PM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 28,862 Thanks
    suki1964
    I love back in time

Least this family the mother can use a can opener and didn't faint clean away when presented with a rabbit

The pie recipe does indeed make for pasties. That's how I found it. I used to adore Greggs cheese and onion pasties and it was one of the things I really missed moving here. I saw Simon make that on tv, found the recipe, and now Greggs has made it here, I no longer like their pasties lol

Bit of a weird tea tonight. Popped into M&S as I was in town and noticed they had a new range of food out. Anyways there was Prawn laska , raw prawns, coriander and the sauce, reduced from silly amount to 80p so into the basket, along with some spare ribs for 40p. I had rice and spring rolls at home

Now it wasn't 'bad ' but it weren't good either. I know I only paid 40p but 3 pieces of rib just 2 inches long and one piece of bare bone!! I'd be raging if I'd paid the 3+ it was originally priced at

The laska whilst had plenty of prawn was tasteless

Oh well , serves me right for being seduced by yellow sticker. Back to scratch cooking tomorrow
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc
    I love back in time

Least this family the mother can use a can opener and didn't faint clean away when presented with a rabbit

The pie recipe does indeed make for pasties. That's how I found it. I used to adore Greggs cheese and onion pasties and it was one of the things I really missed moving here. I saw Simon make that on tv, found the recipe, and now Greggs has made it here, I no longer like their pasties lol

Bit of a weird tea tonight. Popped into M&S as I was in town and noticed they had a new range of food out. Anyways there was Prawn laska , raw prawns, coriander and the sauce, reduced from silly amount to 80p so into the basket, along with some spare ribs for 40p. I had rice and spring rolls at home

Now it wasn't 'bad ' but it weren't good either. I know I only paid 40p but 3 pieces of rib just 2 inches long and one piece of bare bone!! I'd be raging if I'd paid the 3+ it was originally priced at

The laska whilst had plenty of prawn was tasteless

Oh well , serves me right for being seduced by yellow sticker. Back to scratch cooking tomorrow
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Love the "back in time" too

I think M&S food has lost it's "edge" recently, it used be a good notch above SMs but I think they have lost some of the quality but kept the prices while others have upped their game a good bit. It's a shame as food from M&S used be something I very much saw as a real treat.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Feb 18, 10:15 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 9,701 Thanks
    wort
    Spirit congratulations, a lovely new life how wonderful. Sorry you're having a hard time with sil.
    Farway that pie looks great.
    I gave dgson most of the meat in the hotpot!! 1 portion went in the freezer. He also asked for tortilla crisp with cheese on, so we had that with the hotpot, I had beetroot on mine. Ate some more of the choc buttons I opened the other day and had with a cuppa.

My cheese pie turned out nice too, even with the ood pastry, I will try again but use Lancashire cheese it might be a bit tastier. I had half of it for lunch today, I've also had 2 satsumas.
    Tea time I had fish fingers and cheese ,with lettuce on gf seeded brown bread spread with garlic mayo and ketchup. Then a whipped yogurt with seeds, finished of the bag of big buttons from yesterday.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Pigsy just wolfed down a bread roll and margarine

Didn't need it .... but we all know how that works out.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Very frosty and cold here this morning but lovely and sunny. Hopefully I can get my wheels aired in a bit and I must sweep under my bed as the sunshine has revealed rather a lot of hair and stoor.
    Toast & sardine pate for breakfast and lunch will be a "use it up" of the remaining soup and a bacon & coleslaw sarnie. I've some ricotta defrosting so plan to make a spinach & ricotta lasagne tonight using up the rest of the veggies I roasted last night. I've a portion of garlic bread in the freezer which I suspect may get liberated as well. While the oven is on I plan to bake a potato & mushroom gratin for tomorrow.
    I'm feeling very efficient food wise today though in theory rather than practice as apart from defrosting the ricotta I've not actually made any of it yet
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'll have a toastie in a bit.
    Got 2 slices of bread out, defrosting. Removed sausages from freezer, defrosting.

When I CBA I'll get round to eating

Later on ..... stew .... and compulsory dumplings.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc
    I spoke too soon re the sunshine, I popped for a shower and when I came out (and I wasn't long) it had dulled over and now it's drizzling. Doubt I'll be straying very far if it stays like this, just back from walking skating to the bin and it's very icy underfoot.
    Wort - glad your pie worked out ok
    Last edited by caronc; 07-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 6,082 Posts
    • 9,523 Thanks
    Farway
    Up early enough to make a pot of tea, with Gin marmalade on toast for breakfast

Sunny but cold and windy, stayed in, feeling cold today and have left the CH on, I wonder if I am coming down with something as I feel hungry as well?

Caronc, Stoor, a new word to me, had a search and I think I get the gist of it. I'll try and chuck it into a conversation at some time

Wort , cheese pie, I was thinking the opposite after mine, use something other than Lancashire. Maybe the ideal would be mixed cheeses? Once upon a time you could buy cheese left overs / odd shapes in SMs, like bacon bits or smoked salmon bits. But I looked and that seems to have vanished from the shelves.
    Maybe some enterprising SM exec is reading this and next thing is "Cheese pie mix" on sale at inflated prices, like fish pie mix

Lunch is same as yesterday, BF ham & salad sarnie
    Dinner will be LO C & O pie, with last of the tin of Baked beans

Wish I had biscuits in the house, I fancy one right now!!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc

Caronc, Stoor, a new word to me, had a search and I think I get the gist of it. I'll try and chuck it into a conversation at some time
    Originally posted by Farway
    Whoops sorry - I didn't realise this wasn't a UK wide word . "Stoor" is dust and general debris.
    Used in lots of ways round here "don't rattle your stoor" being a favourite - means getting into a tizz/needlessly upset or angry.
    Last edited by caronc; 07-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 42,659 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Nope not UK wide - it's the first time I've had that word "stoor" and I was wondering what it meant - though had the general idea in the context. We'll forgive 'ee m'dear LOL.

Though I occasionally chuck in a West Country word or phrase and tend to assume people know it - so "clidgy" or "back along" for instance - which, to my mind, describe perfectly what I'm on about.
    "Clidgy" = sorta sticky. "Back along" is useful for "It was a while back - I'm not sure exactly how long - but it wasnt last week for instance".

'Tis fine by me with the odd word - what annoys me is when whole phrases get used in a different language and it's been done (I'm told) in order to "encourage" people to learn it and never an apology if one doesnt understand it.....

Today's lunch (also from current cookbook) is going to be french toast with berry drizzle. Think it's a pretty safe bet I'll like that.

Dinner will be the leftover dish from yesterday (minus the bit I'm not that keen on then.....).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 7th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 6,148 Posts
    • 29,488 Thanks
    pineapple
    My timings are all to pot today! 'Brunch' was toasted Burgen bread with some hard boiled egg mashed up with seasoning and a bit of olive oil.
    Mid afternoon I'll have the rest of the stew blended as a hearty soup (not much meat in this portion) and early evening will have either sea bass or hake with some frozen peas. Fresh fish is my fortnightly treat from the travelling fishmonger.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Once upon a time you could buy cheese left overs / odd shapes in SMs, like bacon bits or smoked salmon bits. But I looked and that seems to have vanished from the shelves.
    Originally posted by Farway
    I used to buy that. It was good/cheap and handy as it was all good cheese, just a mixture of the ends of cheddars, whites and reds, randomly bunged into the bags and sealed.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 12:03 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've randomly decided to pop out and buy a shelving unit because, even though it's ugly, it's cheap and needs no tools... it's a black plastic one, but strong. (Head says "you could decoupage that"; Thinking Head says "yeah, but you won't"). I've got it into my head that it'll be "handy" to organise the various piles of "stuff" in the 2nd bedroom .... I've already got shelving in there to be honest and that's not working for me, so I've no idea why I've randomly decided another shelving unit's going to work - but maybe getting everything off the floor will then enable me to move things about/between the 3 units to get everything in some semblance of order, which is a pre-cursor to actually "sorting it all out". A lot of it's "handy kitchen stuff I don't actually use, but might wish to use randomly and I'll be glad I've got that". Then there's a raft of paperwork I've lugged about because you have to keep papers and stuff .... and every time I "tidy" the living room it involves putting all random stuff into a bag, opening the door to bed2 and plonking it on the floor

Food is therefore delayed.... might see something new while out - I'm going to the shop where I buy "my favourite chocolate biscuits", so I expect to buy those
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc
    IMHO you can never have too much shelving or cupboard space PN

Pineapple - one of the joys of CFO I find is that meal times are when you want them to be

We under the bed has been swept, my I shed a lots of hair.......

My Dad popped by after his art club bearing milk. It was his turn to buy it this week and he bought a 4 pinter and only a bit got used. Nobody else wanted it and he already had one so could I use it? Well actually yes for a change as while I have most of a 4 pinter in the fridge I plan to make bechamel later and also need some for the gratin so it's now in my fridge. I thought it only fair to offer him the remaining sardine pate in return which he accepted like a shot so he must have enjoyed it yesterday.....
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 15,283 Posts
    • 42,659 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Had my french toast and berry drizzle then.

Yep...sorta...it tasted nice. But notes made to use biggest frypan in future and a firmer bread than my own homemade. Eaten with an orange, a banana and some walnuts.

Must work out some more new recipes to try shortly - as I've not got many left. Summat to do whilst waiting for legs & arms to stop feeling a bit shakey (guess I've got shakey legs at the moment because I've "stood up for myself" on summat over the last 24 hours - and I know I'm not on the popularity list currently with person that likes to "tell others what to do"). Bet she's wishing - again - that I didnt come from somewhere where we tend to function more democratically in groups.....so I don't do "being ordered around"....You can take the girl out of the city - but you can't take the city out of the girl

Time to head for some of my mouthblasting off strong coffee and my recipes again - whilst I await return of legs/arms to normal and can get on with the housework I really should be doing right now...
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 7th Feb 18, 1:13 PM
    • 6,148 Posts
    • 29,488 Thanks
    pineapple
    Martin Lewis was on TV recently showing just how much you can save by timing your shop till just before the produce is marked down. Has anyone done this? As long as 20 years ago, I used to work with someone who shamelessly shadowed store staff as they went round with the reduced stickers. He used to boast about how much he saved.
    That said, it is generally more difficult for the single person. For example - all these bumper bargain bags of veg that are better value even when not marked down have to be cooked or blanched then frozen otherwise they are wasted.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 7th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 6,148 Posts
    • 29,488 Thanks
    pineapple
    I've randomly decided to pop out and buy a shelving unit because, even though it's ugly, it's cheap and needs no tools... it's a black plastic one, but strong
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Keep your eye on freegle/freecycle. Got some fabulous heavy duty wooden shelving for the shed that way.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 23,512 Thanks
    caronc
    Martin Lewis was on TV recently showing just how much you can save by timing your shop till just before the produce is marked down. Has anyone done this? As long as 20 years ago, I used to work with someone who shamelessly shadowed store staff as they went round with the reduced stickers. He used to boast about how much he saved.
    That said, it is generally more difficult for the single person. For example - all these bumper bargain bags of veg that are better value even when not marked down have to be cooked or blanched then frozen otherwise they are wasted.
    Originally posted by pineapple
    Not recently because I can't but when I was still working the bus used to drop me off near a tesco express just after 7pm which timed beautiful with them doing some serious reductions. A lot of it was ready meals or processed stuff but there were some really good buys less good for CFO though as you say. The shop wasn't used much (it's away now) as unless you were using the bus it wasn't in a great location for parking but I did make some great savings at the time especially on chilled fish.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Keep your eye on freegle/freecycle. Got some fabulous heavy duty wooden shelving for the shed that way.
    Things like this are area specific .... and I've never lived anywhere where anything worthwhile was ever advertised.

I'm hooked into all of them and did used to watch, but you end up watching 24/7 for nothing to come up.....

Many things work well in big cities, or big towns, especially where you've got several big towns close by and/or for people with smart phones/alerts ... but if you're in a small place and have to be glued to the PC they are simply not a useful use of time.

I drove to the shop and they didn't have the shelving at all. I plucked up the courage to ask a member of staff as they were in the right aisle ... and she checked with the manager and said they'd never had them ... and I should try ordering online, or phoning round all the other stores ... so faffery.

Spent 18 in there .... it was mostly useful. Loo rolls (36), 50 heavy duty bin sacks, some swing bin liners, shower gel (which I'd completely run out of already) .... and a bag of chocolate biscuits and some marshmallows for drinking chocolate.

EDIT: I went to the shop website - and I could see they do Click/Collect, so I went through the pain of registering with them and ordering it - and it'll come to my local store

I expected there to be "a problem" at various stages of that.... e.g. that they might say it's out of stock, or they won't deliver there, or all sorts of problems one can encounter with seemingly straight forward things.... but it all worked out OK. 1-3 days and I can go and collect

The thing about this shelving is it needs no tools and is lightweight/plastic... you literally build it up piece by piece, pressing down on the corners to secure it. So easy for me ... achievable ... and then movable at any future point. To try to get one free would end up finding a 10 year old scruffy one that'd been in somebody's garage and had paint pots on it, so scuffed and with splashes. I wanted a new/clean one for a bedroom area. 9.99 so what's not to like
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-02-2018 at 2:33 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 62,158 Posts
    • 363,882 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... timing your shop...
    It's often bleated out, especially by people trying to draw more attention to their website - but the reality of it is that few people are in a position to take advantage of it.

For starters, you have to be close to the sort of shops that do that stuff. Then you have to work out when, theoretically, they do the last reductions.

So, if you happen to have one of those shops close to you - and happen to be passing at the correct time (or go shopping regularly and can change that time) - then it's still hit and miss whether there'll be anything at all, stuff you want/like and/or whether the person who usually does it's changed shifts and they're doing it later/earlier today ... not to mention running the gauntlet of those "regulars" who know the shop/system and live next door and are in there to elbow newcomers out of the way

Even if you shop once a week and time your visit to coincide with that you'll soon change your mind because you'll find the shelves that should contain what you NEED are already empty by that time of day .... so you end up having to go twice, which is then costing you time and money ....

For me to even try to see it'd cost me 2 there/back "just to look", so it's never been any kind of priority for me to try to work out the best times etc.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 07-02-2018 at 2:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter