Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,953Posts
    • 30,291Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC: Jan 76/120
Page 334
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 19, 10:46 AM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 30,291 Thanks
    caronc
    'morning all

The patient had a restful night and is much improved this morning

Sounds like you & I have same lurgy Caron, same symptoms anyway

The butter fried salmon fillet & splodge of salad was just right last night, easy to prep & not too big to over-face me in these lack of appetite times

B - usual porridge etc
    L, not sure, I've been asked to pop round to look at someones laptop, so may get something there
    D - Use up day, I've LO roast veg, plus one cold cooked banger. Plan is fry & make omelette thingy out of them

PS, just read Caron post, I think I'll rename my omelette thing frittata, much posher
    Originally posted by Farway

I think I've got off lighter than you n the lurgy stakes mine thankfully is lurking at the sniffles!
    Frittata is great name- bung in what you like and no one can query it .....
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Jan 19, 2:40 PM
    • 2,260 Posts
    • 15,784 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I made two jacket potatoes with cherry tomatoes and vegan cream cheese. I only ate one so one is in the fridge for later.

I forgot about my soup so had to chuck it, it was lurking at the back of the fridge behind my bottles of kombucha so I forgot about it!

I had a ginger and lemon kombucha too, it reminded me of Lucozade.
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jan 19, 3:03 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 12,051 Thanks
    Farway
    Back in time for lunch, so it was a cheese & salady sarnie

Dinner remains on course, frittata, I'll check over my unopened 1 Kg net of tomatoes for any wrinklies to add in the pan
    Quite looking forward to it now
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 19, 6:23 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Brambling
    Glad you're feeling more human Farway hope you enjoy the frittata is it the same as mum made stew I make casserole?

I see PN is back on another thread hopefully she will be back CFO as she has been missed

I spent the morning trying to help an old neighbour sort out her new iPad it seems the words i never wanted to hear from a 82 year old (hopefully I've not caused offence ) were I've brought an iPad can you help First words when I walked in the door were I can't get the internet on it, I pointed to the symbol that was the internet and was told 'no that's the wi fi' it was a long two hours not helped by her leaning over me talking about her week I wasn't even offered a cuppa and her parting words were I'll call you when I have more issues

I made a spinach, ricotta and mushroom lasagna when I got home using griddled aubergine and courgette instead of pasta. Slightly bigger than planned It's not for today but a couple of dinners early next week and LOs for the freezer I texted a picture to my sister and her reply was 'interesting' which means I wouldn't like that

Lunch were falafels with a spinach salad and Tahini dressing dinner will be sirloin steak on the bone, HM chips and veg I have some LO cheese sauce so I will make a single portion of cauliflower cheese as well . I'll have to take soup from the freezer to add the lasagna

Larder cupboard tidy and audit log updated tin tomatoes or rice anyone? And why do I have two half bottles of cider vinegar, amongst other vinegars
    Last edited by Brambling; 13-01-2019 at 6:26 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 30,291 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone
    Hope PN rejoins us on CFO
    The weather has been horrible here so I've been happy to snuggle down indoors. Might just have bought another Seasalt dress. I have a family do in a couple of weeks and that's the excuse I'm sticking too.
    Brave you Brambling tackling your larder cupboard. I have lists for two of the shelves in mine but really must do the others. Tinned tomatoes are something that seem to breed in mine
    Lunch was more picky bits as planned followed by rather a lot of strawberries and then later a couple of lurking LO profiteroles. I've the cheek to want feeding again soon! I've vac packed surplus cheese and frozen the remaining portion of pate, my Dad was by earlier (in all his wet weather gear) and was delighted to be offered some more to take home. He brought me a lovely little indoor rose plant so it seemed like a good swap.
    Pork steak is defrosted so dinner won't take long once I cba sorting it out.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 19, 7:38 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Brambling
    It could have worst Caronc, it could have been a lot of profiteroles and two strawberries you couldn't wear the same dress to two family dos in a row well that what I tell myself the larder cupboard contents are hand written just need to type, when it got to the herbs and spices in the door I gave up

Well I lied it wasn't one portion of cauliflower cheese made it's become a chain reaction lasagna - LO sauce - cauliflower cheese - LO cauliflower cheese the lasagna divided into four so I've squeezed two portions into the RM freezer drawer I'll have one for dinner tomorrow and then its a lunch time portion for Tuesday or probably Wednesday. Just got to fit in LO falafels
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 19, 7:58 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 30,291 Thanks
    caronc
    It could have worst Caronc, it could have been a lot of profiteroles and two strawberries you couldn't wear the same dress to two family dos in a row well that is what I tell myself
    Originally posted by Brambling
    It'd be the 3rd time as I wore it on Christmas day and New Years day, so I reckon it's pushing it. I feel your pain re the freezer tetris/squeezing still they say they are cheaper to run full so we are just being very
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 19, 8:04 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Brambling
    It'd be the 3rd time as I wore it on Christmas day and New Years day, so I reckon it's pushing it. I feel your pain re the freezer tetris/squeezing still they say they are cheaper to run full so we are just being very
    Originally posted by caronc

I'll say that to my sister next time she makes comments
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jan 19, 8:11 PM
    • 65,362 Posts
    • 383,607 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Boo!

Beef stew today, that I made in the SC yesterday (3 portions, yesterday's was served with a herby dumpling). Today I served it with one of the packs of mash I made/froze in mid December. One portion of stew left in the fridge.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 2,990 Thanks
    Brambling
    Welcome back PN
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 19, 8:51 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 30,291 Thanks
    caronc
    Boo!

Beef stew today, that I made in the SC yesterday (3 portions, yesterday's was served with a herby dumpling). Today I served it with one of the packs of mash I made/froze in mid December. One portion of stew left in the fridge.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    You're back PN so lovely to see you
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Jan 19, 12:39 AM
    • 5,060 Posts
    • 45,950 Thanks
    meg72
    Boo!

Originally posted by PasturesNew

YAY welcome back.
    Slimming World at target
    • wort
    • By wort 14th Jan 19, 7:25 AM
    • 951 Posts
    • 11,409 Thanks
    wort
    Happy new year PN.

Thanks sunny girl, the back is a bit better as not had to do much heavy stuff at work. I'm off now for 2 days too. The physio says I can have the 2 sessions I missed back, which is lovely of him.

I love frittata, not keen on omelette though, the former is more potato less egg, I'm not keen on eggs unless they're hard boiled.

Sat cba tea was fish fingers chips and beans.
    Dd1 called yesterday with dd2 birthday present, she had cooked a chicken biriani, so no cooking after work !
    Had a glass of wine with it, and there's a portion left for today. Supper was the rest of aero mint choc .
    Hope everyone's lurgy is feeling better.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Jan 19, 10:22 AM
    • 12,787 Posts
    • 45,285 Thanks
    Nelski
    Popping by again to say hi as a long term lurker and cooking for one person "wave"

Truth is I missed PN's classic posts and wanted to say welcome back. cant believe why you got banned ...I read that that comment and totally agreed ...cant stand him.. but anyway I have a question to complete my world PN what did you have for Christmas dinner?

Cooking for one wise I used the last bag of Chrimbo sprouts yesterday for a shredded sprout and bacon dish with some left over pigs in blankets....just dont stand down wind of me Will of course be having that again tonight as is our want.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th Jan 19, 10:26 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Farway, its your fault !!! I have never had a rat or mouse and then after reading your post last week I saw a rat run across the kitchen floor, EEEKKKK I have kick panels under all my cupboards and no holes so ?????? I have a downstairs bathroom but thats tiles all throughout. I saw no droppings etc so thought I had finally lost my marbles, it was after 10.. at night but a couple of days later my seedling on bathroom shelf had GONE. EEEEKK again. Still no sign of anything but ordered a kit and got son & g/son to come on Saturday to put poison down. The only place we/they could see was the hole where tumble drier trunk went out. Well am playing the waiting game now, then check if any poison has gone and then look in cupboards. Definately your fault!!! xxxx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jan 19, 10:57 AM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 30,291 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Nelski and whmf00001.

Sprouts, bacon and pigs in blankets sounds grand, well worth the wind factor. whmf00001 re ratty hope the bait has worked!
    The storm has blown itself out thankfully though taken the milder weather with it and left the rain and cold. My balance and tinnitus are settling but I doubt I'll be doing anything too bendy today. I must go through the veg bin now I have space in the fridge and see what needs using sooner rather than later. I think I'll make a pot of tattie soup as it's definitely soup weather and I have some carrot & celery sticks LO from Friday to use up. Lunch will be crackers with HM hummus, sliced ham and salad with a mug of soup if I get it made. Dhal from the freezer tonight with a poached egg, spinach and pitta bread.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Jan 19, 11:07 AM
    • 27,008 Posts
    • 113,248 Thanks
    candygirl
    Welcome back PN, i've missed your posts
    NELSKI i've got a spare bag of sprouts you can have
    No idea what i'm eating yet today.My baby Boy is at the vets having the snip, so will be looking after him later
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Jan 19, 11:46 AM
    • 12,787 Posts
    • 45,285 Thanks
    Nelski
    Welcome back PN, i've missed your posts
    NELSKI i've got a spare bag of sprouts you can have
    No idea what i'm eating yet today.My baby Boy is at the vets having the snip, so will be looking after him later
    Originally posted by candygirl
    God no ...Im done with them for a while now love them but ....

Next challenge is 2 bags of carrots and I dont really love them I know I know but they are good in casseroles and in salads so will have to do some planning I guess.
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 14th Jan 19, 11:46 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Itisme
    Breakfast: 2 bananas and some cherries.
    Lunch: Boiled egg and chips.
    Tea: Spaghetti lentil ragu (ate in a restaurant).
    Last edited by Itisme; 15-01-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 14th Jan 19, 11:51 AM
    • 27,008 Posts
    • 113,248 Thanks
    candygirl
    God no ...Im done with them for a while now love them but ....

Next challenge is 2 bags of carrots and I dont really love them I know I know but they are good in casseroles and in salads so will have to do some planning I guess.
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Ooh me n the Furnutters love raw carrots
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,621Posts Today

8,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin