PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• The burgers were nice, although very spicy. I overdid it with the cayenne pepper.:rotfl:
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hey all

Caronc - hope you are feeling more 'stabilised' now, and no donkeys are bothering you....

Today''s exciting menu is:

Porridge! With nana.
    Jacket spud, coleslaw, salad (the chinese leaf isn't limp), sliced chicken, followed by mashed up meringue basket, low fat yogurt and slightly wrinkled YS nectarine.
    Tea tonight will probably soup n bread.

For sardine enthusiasts I read an article about it providing just as much polyunsaturated fatty acids (EPA and DHA) as salmon. (Metro, Money pages). But for the money-savers amongst you, salmon being £14/kg compared to sardines at £3/kg....especially if it's fresh sardines (gag) :o Maybe if I bought some and disguised it in lots of hot sauce....?
    Also, instead of expensive superfoods they advocate:

Replace blueberries at £2 for 150g for kiwi - 6 for 90p (for your vitamins C and K)
    Replace dried goji berries £1.50 for 100g for spinach £1 for 300g (for your vitamins A, B2, C and iron)

Guess you don't need to be 'fancy' in your diet, just eat a reasonable variety of different coloured foods to get all your needs.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    drat, my knitting went completely wrong, Its full of twists and turns, so I stood up and suddenly remembered about the packet of soft shortbreads that I was given for christmas. Drat drat drat, I couldn`t help myself, it was comfort eating. Grhhh
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,198 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    kittie wrote: »
    cost me £3.99 and would come to that (almost) if I made home made, ingredients, energy and most of all my precious time :D Having had a very (money) poor start to life ie the first 21 years and then being very very frugal all through the next 30 years and becoming mortgage free and then accruing savings and knowing how to trade shares, well now I am in a nice position but should it all go in my will to be spent on cars and holidays, when we did without? No way, from now on in, I am spending, even if only to buy nice piccalilli :)

I'm with you there Kittie, I wasn't complaining or being sarky honest, like you, and others, my early life was frugal through poverty & necessity, now, like you I can afford to buy what I want should I feel like it.
    I have made piccalilli, unsuccessfully I should add. And I will try the W/r one once I have used up the Hayward's one, £1 on offer
    I also have shares, one of which was Carillion:(

Anyway, lunch was ham & piccalilli as it happens. The ham was a bit tasteless, but worth trying if only to know not to get it again

Dinner, decided on the baked spud, in the oven as I type. Salad yet to be sorted, I will make my own dressing I think as I have some lovely pressed virgin olive oil
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Haven't eaten yet today. CBA and couldn't decide.

Just decided to nuke a spud before it gets dark ... opened a can of beans and grated some cheese. Will serve in 5-10 minutes.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BucksLady wrote: »
    Caron, he's a lot better since he retired 18 months ago. His doc always said that stress aggravates the condition and once retired he would see an improvement. The doc was right :).
    Yes there is a definite link between the two, like your Dad I'm generally feeling the benefit from no longer fretting about work:)
    Morning All

Caronc thats a shame you are suffering again, was wondering if its the atmospheric pressure dropping that sets it off - not that you can do very much about that but forewarned is forearmed, maybe interesting to check this out to see if it coincides with any of your previous episodes - just a thought

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/barometer/uk-storm-centre
    Yep changes in the weather pressure are a key trigger for me:(
  • caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Farway - you definitely need to try a corned beef and beetroot sandwich. I had one a lunch time and enjoyed every bite:)

Unfortunately still wonky donkey but had a lovely lie down for a couple of hours this afternoon which always helps. Corned beef hash ingredients were lobbed into the slow cooker late morning and were left to do their own thing. Just switched them off and they taste great:D, so a nice easy meal tonight. I've got a savoy cabbage so will steam some of that and have with them. :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been very lucky and got taken out for lunch my neighbour. We had a lovely meal at a country pub I haven't been to for a year because it can be difficult to get to. We both managed to eat three courses as well.

Right now I'm not hungry but if I want something to nibble on this evening I'll have some cheese and biscuits. Back to reality and CFO tomorrow.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Haven't eaten yet today. CBA and couldn't decide.

Just decided to nuke a spud before it gets dark ... opened a can of beans and grated some cheese. Will serve in 5-10 minutes.

Nuked spud is my 'go to' when I CBA. Does the job :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • caronc
    I've been very lucky and got taken out for lunch my neighbour. We had a lovely meal at a country pub I haven't been to for a year because it can be difficult to get to. We both managed to eat three courses as well.

Right now I'm not hungry but if I want something to nibble on this evening I'll have some cheese and biscuits. Back to reality and CFO tomorrow.
    Oh Holly that sounds lovely glad you enjoyed it :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback