Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,641Posts
    • 28,079Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 278
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 9:42 AM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,153 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    B/B/marmalade prepped and in the fridge. This is a 3-slice sized one. 3's plenty for CFO. They charge about 2 if you buy one in the shops... maybe 1 if you really grub around and look for a cheapie. Bread/6p, egg/9p, milk/8p, other bits/bobs say 10p.... costs 33p to make! I'll try to remember to weigh it when it's done, for /100g comparison with bought ones.

This is the time I always think "should've done it last night then I'd have simply needed to get it out when I was ready to cook it"

Blue skies, sunny here at the moment - but "a bit nippy in the wind".

No significant rain expected. Wind 21mph gusting at 32mph.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-11-2018 at 9:57 AM.
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Nov 18, 10:00 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 10,909 Thanks
    wort
    I've just had egg on toast, used up another egg, and will keep me full longer than just toast.
    It's tipping down here , which is a mess ! The square at the cenotaph is not big and add umbrellas into the mix!!
    Dgson will be coming back with me and I've got a rotisserie chicken for tea, and I've peeled the potatoes, will do carrots and broccoli Yorkshire puds and gravy. The chicken can go in about 3pm and we can have tea about 5pm. I reckon the standing in the rain and walking will make us hungry.
    Off to check PN s weather site. I've already checked 2 others, I'll choose the best !!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 10:01 AM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,153 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The chicken can go in about 3pm and we can have tea about 5pm. I reckon the standing in the rain and walking will make us hungry.
    Originally posted by wort
    Think of the crowds... that might end up as 7pm and 9pm
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Nov 18, 10:02 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 28,079 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning,

Cold & wet here, there will be a lot of people getting soaked at the Rememberance service as it's mainly outdoors.
    I'm still a tad wonky but less so than yesterday.
    My "fusion" dinner was really tasty but I only ate someof it so the LOs were breakfast this morning.
    It will be broth again for lunch and I'm having gammon steak & pineapple tonight.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Nov 18, 10:17 AM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 47,299 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If you're going out to a remembrance, then to check the weather in your area, use ventusky.com

Once loaded, type your place in the top area.
    Then look to the left you'll see Precipitation - and be able to see when/where rain will come. You'll also see wind - and be able to see wind and gusts. At the bottom you can click through the day/times to see how it changes.

To change wind from km to mph you want Settings, top right and scroll to the bottom.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Had a quick check. Found the "settings" thing and changed to mph and inches as I want. It told me the facts for current town.

Then I mucked it up. I put my home city in the search box and it won't find it. It's now also refusing to bring up current town either - after I "told" it my location and it promptly chose another location in Wales and insists that's my location.

Any suggestions for putting it right?
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 10:21 AM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,153 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Any suggestions for putting it right?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    No, you're on your own matey.
    Clear cache?
    Load the page, then hold down Ctrl and press F5 then let them both go.
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 11th Nov 18, 11:24 AM
    • 5,217 Posts
    • 5,718 Thanks
    ariba10
    I find the BBC weather app to be very good.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,153 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Nom nom nom.

Eaten half the b/b pud now ..... with custard

It was lovely.

That bit probably weighed about 185 grams.

EDIT: Went back and got the second half. Couldn't face thinking of having to re-heat it later/tomorrow.... did more custard with it.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-11-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Nov 18, 2:27 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 10,909 Thanks
    wort
    Back in now. Loads more than usual this year couldn't get near our usual spot. It rained during the service then the sun came out and it's been sunny since.
    We went for a coffee in one of the bars in town then I called back to my brothers on way home for an hour.
    I've had a crust toasted with cheese spread. As I couldn't wait till tea .
    I'm thinking of stewing some apples, then put a piece of sponge cake on and custard for pud .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Nov 18, 2:40 PM
    • 6,645 Posts
    • 11,246 Thanks
    Farway
    The weather held off for the wreath laying, quite warm & sunny actually.

Tea & a couple of choc biscuits followed, no cake available

I'd taken a mini pizza out of the freezer before I went, back home by 1145, just in time to pop the mini oven on for the mini pizza for lunch

It filled a hole but they are not "improved" by freezing, but "silk purses" spring to mind

Prepped a couple of small spuds for tonight's chips, so it's fried rump steak, eggs, HM chips & maybe open tin of beans, which reminded me I forgot to get some beans when in W/rose, I was going to try their Essential ones to see how they compare with Asda
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 11th Nov 18, 7:05 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    I went out on an 8 mile walk this morning, out to the Peaks. Lunch was an egg sandwich, some malted milks & a flask of coffee. I need to buy a better flask.

Got home & did loads of washing for work clothes next week, & finally could be ar5ed to batch cook my tuna curry. 5 small food bags of it in the fridge cooling down to go in the freezer. Lovely, HM, cheap & quick meal for after work when I'm tired - nuke the curry from frozen, grill a couple is chapattis & jobs a good-un.
    Didn't put spinach in it. I might do a chicken & spinach one some day soon.

Curry was tonights tea. I've loads of food in, so I'll be spending most of next week trying to decide what to eat....

Work lunches will be egg mayo or egg salad sandwiches. Got the tastes for them atm
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 11th Nov 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 7,571 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    We got EXTREMELY luckily with the weather at Shrouds of the Somme. There was 5-10 minutes of drizzle just as we were waiting to be allowed access to the site, then it was pretty much blue skies.
    We were up on a raised platform though, and there was quite a wind, and I was just starting to get chilly by the end. Jim Carter (Mr Carson from Downton Abbey) did a beautiful reading of "They shall grow not old", and there was some singing and prayers. Usual business really.

I had a brief catch-up with Rob, the artist, later in the afternoon, who told me he'd come down late last night and it was bucketing it down, but he liked it, because it was so atmospheric! Rather him than me!
    Because it's fun to have money!

23.62/70 November Grocery Challenge
    47.19/70 October GC
    44.32/70 September GC
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Nov 18, 8:02 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 47,299 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Diet meal again and that was dinner - my own concoction this time.

Stuffed aubergine with onion/canned tomatoes/quorn "mince" as the filling. With steamed spinach and a few potatoes. It was actually quite tasty. Second helping tomorrow.

Can't be that much longer now - hip measurement now down to 39.5" - so 3" more to go there for instance. My guesstimate calculations say "Diet should be over/mission accomplished in early January".

The way dress sizes work for me personally - I think I've probably got just over a stone in weight still to lose.

Am promising myself champagne once it's dealt with.

• caronc
    • By caronc 11th Nov 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 28,079 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm glad all went well flubberyzing, my poor Dad, despite his waterproof gear, got completely drenched at our service. It's dried up now, the skies have cleared and the temperature dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if there were icy patches first thing.

Novice-I've never had tuna curry sounds tasty assuming it uses tinned and not fresh tuna. Fresh tuna is one of the few fish/food I'm really not keen on.
    After another stint of trying on I've decided all three dresses are being returned.

We have decided as a family to do a "Secret Santa" this year rather than buying individual presents. Should be fun and certainly cuts down on shopping and cost. Someone will need to tell my Dad though that if he gets me in the draw that I don't want garden centre vouchers - he seems obsessed with buying folk them

I had a large bowl of broth for lunch and have frozen the remaining portion. Five decent portions isn't bad from a lot of odds and ends.

Three Scotch eggs are chilling in the fridge just need baked now. Not my best effort, I could have done with cooking the eggs a bit longer as they were pretty fragile and only making two as there wasn't a huge amount of sausagemeat. I've double crumbed but I'm not convinced they won't split/leak, still just me to eat them and hopefully they will taste ok. Gammon steak baked with pineapple, corn cobette, baked spud and LO salad from last night for dinner.

ETA - I do like a stuffed aubergine Money sounds like a tasty meal
    Last edited by caronc; 11-11-2018 at 8:16 PM.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Nov 18, 8:42 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 2,284 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening

That's a good walk Novice there's nothing like a brisk walk to clear the cobwebs especially if you've been working long hours

Money let me know when you crack that champagne I've a bottle here and I'll join you, I don't like to drink alone

Mixed weather here today following yesterday's torrential rain we had blue skies mixed with heavy showers but at least it stayed dry for those at the march and service today.

Lunch was HM soup I tweaked T*sco nana magic soup recipe from when I made it previous and seems to have fixed what was missing . I shared a teacake for afternoon tea with my sister, we toy with one each but decided to be good

Dinner was LO roasted vegetable with spicy chicken thighs, I grabbed cayenne instead of paprika so it cleared my sinus with Boulangere potatoes with celeriac, green beans and purple sprouting. I had to use up half a tin of coconut milk left from the soup so made rice pudding in the pressure cooker .

PN I love marmalade B & B pudding and I've now been thinking about it all day, I've been known to add a drop of rum or brandy to the custard when making the pudding, but I shouldn't eat it

Caronc shame the dresses have to go back, that's the problem with shopping on line, it always looks better on the screen, you're have to do some more browsing, white stuff or fat face often have nice tunic dresses, I haven't looked recently as I'm avoiding clothes shopping at the moment. I cheat with my scotch eggs, one good sausage removed from its skin tends to do one egg, I agree if the egg is too soft they are a pain to peel
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Nov 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 28,079 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks Brambling - nothing caught my eye on white stuff but will have look at fat face
    Scotch eggs are out of the oven and looking better than I thought, one has split ever so slightly but I can live with that

• By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Nov 18, 9:51 PM
    • 17,107 Posts
    • 47,299 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sounds like we might have similar tastes in clothing there then.

I've identified which brands stock styles I like now - White Stuff, Seasalt, Fat Face and Boden about covers it.

Thankfully I can find some Seasalt stuff around here in various shops - but wondering nervously whether I'm going to have to shop online for some of my clothes in future too.

• caronc
    • By caronc 11th Nov 18, 10:16 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 28,079 Thanks
    caronc
    For some reason Boden doesn't seem to fit me, I'm broad across the shoulders and (the admittedly few things) I've tried just don't work, If I buy to fit my shoulders the rest is huge....
    On a much cheaper and cheerful note I've had some great stuff from "Tu" @ Sainsbury this year especially their linen stuff this summer.

I'm still waiting for my Seasalt dress to arrive so fingers crossed.

• Farway
    • By Farway 12th Nov 18, 10:49 AM
    • 6,645 Posts
    • 11,246 Thanks
    Farway
    Woken early by rain tipping down, decided it was "turn over time" rather than get up and watch it raining

By the time I did get up it eased, then bucketed down, overflowing gutters. Good job I'm in today, doing a bit of catch up. I should really plant the last of my daffs but too soggy now

Last night's steak turned out well, confirmed marinading is the cheffy secret but it does need thinking ahead

I also nuke stewed the last of my HG apples, someone here mentioned stewed apple recently which set me thinking, Elstar variety, not impressed with it's taste as a desert apple but cooked down fine.
    Not complaining, the tree was YS from Asda, 2.25 and I bought it mainly to use as a hand hold near my steps

Breakfast of usual porridge

Lunch no idea

Dinner, I've vacillated from FB pie, kipper in a bag, pasta bake, beans on toast, baked spud and still no idea

PS, my clothing is Millets or George
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Nov 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 13,327 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I ate quite badly at the weekend, pizza on Saturday and lots of wine and cider both days too! I went into London and so did get walking in at least!

I am over my stomach bug but woke up this morning almost losing my voice! I have had 3 slices of toast with marg and marmite and a hot cup of tea with some ibuprofen and am feeling a bit better now. My voice is back. My husband will be so relieved haha.

I stepped on the scale and haven't lost any weight, but I haven't gained any back either.

I'm going to have some vegan kebab strips with fried peppers and salad in a tortilla wrap when I get back from my walk.

I've been listening to the Dr Rangan Chatterjee (from the TV show Doctor in the House) podcasts while walking. Very interesting.

I seem to be on a sweet run at the moment! Normally I would prefer savoury, so not sure why?
    After chicken Balti last night I had Greek yogurt with honey with the last kiwi.
    Originally posted by wort
    Now I fancy a kiwi, I haven't had one in ages.

I went out on an 8 mile walk this morning, out to the Peaks.
    Originally posted by Novice investor101
    Wow, well done!
    2018: Simplify your life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,553Posts Today

5,344Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin