Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,635Posts
    • 28,036Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 277
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Nov 18, 8:17 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    Brambling
    GrowingPlants I did make pumpkin scones once using LO roasted pumpkin you use pumpkin instead of fat it was a online recipe I think I adjusted the sugar as it looked too sweet. They went down well

Wednesday I hoped your tummy has now settled

Caronc the scotch eggs were lovely, now I've found how much nicer they are air fried rather than baked I'm going to have to stop myself making them too often or I'll go off of them

Day off today I walked into town in between the rain to take a former elderly neighbour to lunch as a belated birthday meal. I must remember next time that my looking good for lunch boots aren't really suitable for walking 4 miles I walked because I knew I would need a glass of wine I think I was lucky that I avoided getting wet as it's been very wet and windy since 5pm looks like it's going to be a wet weekend and I have a hair appointment

Lunch was a Breton fish stew not sure why it was different to bouillabaisse but it was very nice, it was served with a very nice bread to mop up it up which I probably shouldn't have eaten as my joints are a little achy at the moment and it makes them worst, hopefully I may get away with it or I won't notice the difference Haven't eaten dinner yet I'm not really hungry but I should probably have a snack or I'll wake up hungry or with a headache, may be just some fruit I'll raid the fruit bowl later
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Nov 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 28,036 Thanks
    caronc
    I've not got an air fryer Brambling and resisting getting one as I've no space for it.
    I do love a good fish stew for the stock/liquor as much as anything else it's the best bit in a good one. I think the Breton one uses cider rather than wine in the stock .
    The soup is in the fridge and it looks like a thick one, loaded with veg & pulses- just what I need.
    Dinner is in the oven and looking rather beige but at least the wedges are HM and there's peas & sweetcorn to brighten it up, I decided I cba prepping cabbage. A splodge of tartare sauce and a lemon wedge and it will be good to go.
    Last edited by caronc; 09-11-2018 at 9:07 PM.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Nov 18, 9:45 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    Brambling
    I've always baked them Caronc and when I'm feeling chefy make them with soft yolks, but the time before last I air fried them and they came out like deep fried ones I don't really have the room for one it gets swapped out with the slow cooker, pressure cooker and on a rare occasion the toaster it's why I can't get under the stairs

Soup sounds like a winter warmer, I resisted buying a whole chicken today for the stock

Fish stew had a lot of fish, squid, mussels etc in and the liquor was drank with a spoon
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 9th Nov 18, 10:30 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    Finally finished my week of late nights at work. I've lost 2lbs from living off sandwiches all week.

Set my alarm to be up early tomorrow. Really, really need to go to 4ldi & get some food stocks in. & Looking forward to a hot meal.
    I'll be doing an inventory of the freezer as I can't remember what's in there. I might start sticking a list on the freezer door to remind me/give me meal ideas so I actually eat the stuff instead of forgetting about it.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Nov 18, 9:49 AM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 28,036 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I have lists stuck to my freezers Novice, I do find it handy.
    Weather is much better this morning though more rain due later, it's much colder though.
    I'm a bit "wonky donkey" this morning so not planning to do much.
    HM broth for lunch and souvlaki from the freeezer for dinner tonight.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 17,085 Posts
    • 47,198 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm a bit "wonky donkey" this morning so not planning to do much.
    HM broth for lunch and souvlaki from the freeezer for dinner tonight.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Hope you're feeling better soon Caron.

Someone remind me that if ever I turned meat-eater again - then buy the house next door to Caron and invite myself round for meals at intervals

Don't worry Caron - I'd make it the one the other side - so you didn't lose "Visiting Cat"
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    • 64,926 Posts
    • 381,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Had to abandon the house as a viewing was booked.... only the viewer thought it was next week, so I did all that clearing/cleaning/polishing for nothing

Then I went out to the shops and "killed time" a bit.

I noticed the flatbreads in Sainsbobs - thought about them for my kebab, but at £1/four it seemed a bit pricey. Didn't buy anything in Sainsbobs... as usual as they don't sell food I like, or they're expensive.

Ohh, I did notice though - 8 packs of crumpets at Sainsbobs were marked at 50p and a sticker "New Regular Price". So if you're a Sainsbobs crumpet fan, looks like they got a bit cheaper for you.

Into 4ldi... they were completely out of their 4-packs of baked beans. I've not run out so didn't need them today ... bought some oven bottom muffins for my kebab meat... and some cherry tomatoes. Also picked up a bar of chocolate and some fat/deep fish cakes that were marked as half price - pack of two usually £1.25, so ~60p (they're in the freezer now).

Then it was into £land. Don't ask why, but I appear to have emerged with an ovenproof oval dish (not a fan of oval dishes in the main), but it "looked a handy size" and was quite deep... and a nice deep blue colour. I also got a "pizza tray", a round oven tray type of thing that's quite small - again, no idea why .... but I got it anyway.

I also got a 4-pack of Walkers C/O crisps - for £1. What a rip off, you used to get 6 for £1... but I've been craving them for about a month so got them anyway.

Panettone fans? I've never had one, they're huge, so I won't. £land has some, £2, weighing 500g. The make is Duca Riserva. I've no idea if that's a good one, or a good price, but thought I'd mention it for "fans" of that type of cake.

Breakfast today: Packet of C/O crisps.
    Lunch today: Kebab meat in an oven bottom muffin
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Nov 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6,638 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    Farway
    last night's W/rose FR pork chop turned out in the OK range, shame really I was hoping it would be as nice as the farm shop one, no luck. Next trial one is detour to butcher and try one of their's
    Job for another day

Breakfast of usual porridge + bananas, yoghurt etc, not doing too well, this batch of HM yogurt is a bit runny Looks like I'll have to get a new starter for it

Taken salmon fillet & a rump steak out of freezer for defrosting
    Salmon today & steak tomorrow

Lunch will be last of the LO HM chicken soup & maybe cheese sarnie

Fish stew had a lot of fish, squid, mussels etc in and the liquor was drank with a spoon
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'm sure it was lovely, but it is just not for me. And I bet garlic featured somewhere in there
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 10th Nov 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I was going to buy my usual pizza for tea tonight... But when I got to the shop, I suddenly didn't fancy that any more. So ended up grabbing an individual quiche, which I'll do with a bit of veg. Whatever I've got hanging in the cupboard.

Feel like I need to eat quite a bit today... I haven't really had a "proper" meal since Tuesday! Good for the waistline I guess.
    Because it's fun to have money!

£23.62/£70 November Grocery Challenge
    £47.19/£70 October GC
    £44.32/£70 September GC
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    • 6,638 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    Farway
    Dinner confirmed, salmon fillet fried in butter, baked spud, more butter, and salad to show some willing

Funds now recovering from car repairs so I'm back to checking freezers out, although I think the Black Friday malarkey is mainly a con I'd be daft not to wait until then to make a decision

Was hammering down, with thunder, a nice warm spud baking kitchen is what I need to warm me through
    • Novice investor101
    • By Novice investor101 10th Nov 18, 3:49 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Novice investor101
    My day went to pot a bit, after having an extra long lie in...

Decided in the end to go to Mr T to do my big shop, wasn't in the mood for 4ldi's weekend bedlam & I needed so e stuff from T anyway.
    I was actually quite surprised that I managed to get about 2 months worth of food for about £48. Would have been £45 if I'd remembered my voucher...
    I was good & stuck to my list, bought the stuff on offer & only bought things I can make meals out of by adding ingredients I've already got in, hence it'll last a good couple of months. Treated myself to some McCain french fry chips as well.

I'm going to have a couple of done in the oven microwavs pizzas, then crack on with making a huge pot of my fave tuna curry to portion up & go in the freezer. Got some frozen spinach so I might add some of that in too.

Got all of my spices from the Indian food aisle, much better value than the normal aisle.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Nov 18, 5:11 PM
    • 17,085 Posts
    • 47,198 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Second helping today of a Slimming World recipe I did yesterday - ie quinotto. That being a sort of risotto - only using quinoa instead of rice.

It's actually not bad. What is helping to give it flavour is some fresh lemon juice and some lemon zest in it.

Trying to feel virtuous again - after a couple of drinks whilst out listening to music yesterday evening and then an attack of "the munchies" after that.

Yesterday's workman did actually turn up/has done the job.

No further forward as to who will be replacing my nfh in the nearby "house that is for sale". On making enquiries to find out what's happening - I realised I've been a bit "slow on the uptake" re how house sales work round here. I now know of several nearby houses that are for sale - and none of them are with estate agents and being sold in the normal way. I can see now that, in this area, there are probably a lot more properties for sale than ever see the inside of an estate agents office. I have distinctly mixed feelings about that one..... (it's not fair for lots of people to be excluded from even having a shot at getting them and I personally want them to be "popular" to put up house prices here v. would them being sold openly and fairly mean some of them might become holiday homes and be unused for part of the year).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-11-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Nov 18, 6:34 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,906 Thanks
    wort
    I seem to be on a sweet run at the moment! Normally I would prefer savoury, so not sure why?
    After chicken Balti last night I had Greek yogurt with honey with the last kiwi. Then not long after had a cuppa with a stick of fruit and nut chocolate, 1 hour later was back in the fridge for last stick of choc with hot chocolate. !

Today dgson made a sponge cake to use up some eggs, we left it cooling whilst we nipped for paint. When I got back I had a slice with jam on . Just had tea, tempura chicken and chips with garlic mayo, and 3 plum tomatoes to make me feel more healthy!
    Whipped up some cream and had another slice of cake with jam and cream, I decided the piece would be to big to fit in my mouth, so left it as 2 halves with filling on both !!!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Nov 18, 6:37 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 10,906 Thanks
    wort
    Tomorrow all the family will go to the cenotaph service in town as my nieces partner was killed in Afghanistan, so we all go up together.
    It's usually very cold as the cenotaph is in a square with the church on one side and buildings on 2 others so it's in the shade. So will need to layer up.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Nov 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4,635 Posts
    • 28,036 Thanks
    caronc
    Hope you're feeling better soon Caron.

Someone remind me that if ever I turned meat-eater again - then buy the house next door to Caron and invite myself round for meals at intervals

Don't worry Caron - I'd make it the one the other side - so you didn't lose "Visiting Cat"
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

(Thanks for the good wishes)

Had to abandon the house as a viewing was booked.... only the viewer thought it was next week, so I did all that clearing/cleaning/polishing for nothing

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    At least it wasn't the other way round......

last night's W/rose FR pork chop turned out in the OK range, shame really I was hoping it would be as nice as the farm shop one, no luck. Next trial one is detour to butcher and try one of their's
    Job for another day

Breakfast of usual porridge + bananas, yoghurt etc, not doing too well, this batch of HM yogurt is a bit runny Looks like I'll have to get a new starter for it

Taken salmon fillet & a rump steak out of freezer for defrosting
    Salmon today & steak tomorrow

Lunch will be last of the LO HM chicken soup & maybe cheese sarnie

I'm sure it was lovely, but it is just not for me. And I bet garlic featured somewhere in there
    Originally posted by Farway
    Och that's a shame Farway, perhaps when you get the other freezer you could buy a few from the Farm shop or buy online.
    Certainly when I make French style fish soup it has lots & lots of garlic in it

wort - sounds as though layers will definitely be needed. My Dad goes to the local one every year (ex-Marine) and wears his long johns and thermals under his "smart" clothes as the cenotaph is beside the shore.

Good evening everyone,

"Wonky Donkey" decided it was winning earlier, so I've been mainly horizontal today. Spins have settled and as long as I watch how I'm moving I'm feeling better.
    Three of the frocks arrived and two are definitely going back and probably the third. A bit like Goldilocks one was too big & small at the same time and made me look like a sausage in places and sack in others, one was too long and I'm not sure the third is "quite right".....
    Broth was suitably rib-sticking and I had a big bowl for lunch, my Dad has taken a tub too and there's still loads left.
    If I was being cheffy I describe dinner as a "fusion" meal, pork sovlaki (LO from a bbq), refried beans (LO from a family get together) in a roti (LO from the engagement do) served with kebab shop style salad . Think it should be tasty though .

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 10th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    Brambling
    Originally posted by Farway
    It was a French restaurant Farway I think it's illegal for them not to use garlic

Wort maybe the winter weather is making you body want additional calories and sugar and fat are the quickest way of stocking up

Sorry you've been visited by that donkey again Caronc are you sure your dad hasn't got you bugged he seems to know when the best LOs are in your fridge

I worked from home today either side of my hair appointment, I got home in time to grab apple and cheese at 2pm for a late lunch and log in, we were suppose to finish at 5pm but IT had problems with one of the systems so we had to hang about until after 7pm. Therefore dinner was just some roasted vegetables I did make some parsley pesto to go over them but unfortunately I added too much garlic and it was too harsh with a raw garlic taste, luckily I didn't add it to all the veg so was able to have garlic free LOs.

Flubberzing hope you have a good day tomorrow
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 10th Nov 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 7,569 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Have a good day tomorrow, all you attending remembrance services... I'm about to head off to bed, as have a 5:30 alarm set for tomorrow morning...

I had the quiche with some baked beans for an early tea, and although it was a nice one, it wasn't terribly satisfying. So I've just demolished a chicken sandwich for supper!
    Because it's fun to have money!

£23.62/£70 November Grocery Challenge
    £47.19/£70 October GC
    £44.32/£70 September GC
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    • 64,926 Posts
    • 381,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm probably like a lot of people in that cooking in the SC seems like a good idea... but, when it comes down to it, it remains an idea, then it's too late (other excuses are available)...

Sometimes though ... I think of what I'd like to make for 1-2 weeks.... then decide "it's the day" and mentally prep for it for a few days.

Today is the day .... marmalade bread/butter pudding day.

I need to "begrudgingly drag myself through the motions" of getting it ready.

I've already got the SC out and on the worktop ... and I've got out a container for the pudding and put that alongside. In the fridge I've put the marmalade at the front. I'm actually wondering if the oval dish I bought at £land yesterday might make for a great size for CFO b/b pudding ... although I plan to make a two portion one today. That dish is nagging at me..... I bet it'd be the right size ....

Now, the other issue is, it doesn't take long .... so when to start it .... it's too early now as I don't fancy it for breakfast.

Today's food will be b/b pudding and custard.... and I'm not too sure what else really.

Got a bread roll that needs using up and I've got tomatoes, so maybe a tomato roll. The kebab I made just two days ago has been fully consumed because it was simply too bl00dy gorgeous... so I ate two portions of that in a pitta; one portion in a bread roll; one portion in a toasted bread roll ... and the final portion was simply meat alone, eaten directly from the container I'd nuked it in, with a fork.

If I do get round to fancying "proper food" it'll most likely be a baked spud/beans as I've still got a bag of spuds to get through.

Of course, there's always fish cake and chips from the freezer.

That's the trouble isn't it, with food overload - so many choices and you can't actually decide.

P.S. I have crisps, chocolate finger biscuits and choccies in the cupboard
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-11-2018 at 7:51 AM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Nov 18, 9:31 AM
    • 6,638 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    Farway
    Up and about a bit earlier, off to Remembrance later. the one I'm going to is mainly held inside, only venture outside for wreath laying
    It may be a bit busier than usual being the centenary, and a larger one nearby will entail closure of the A3 for nearly 2 hours, that should be chaos to our local roads

It tipped down in the night, & still looking a bit iffy now

Breakfast was usual porridge

Lunch, no idea, there are "refreshments" post Remembrance service, secretly hoping there is LO cake for a doggy bag

I've taken the steak out & it is now marinading back in the fridge
    Having removed it from the package it's not one I would pick from a counter, had to trim a lot of fat away, the thick hard stuff, rest will be fine once it's had a soak

Caron "Och that's a shame Farway, perhaps when you get the other freezer you could buy a few from the Farm shop or buy online."
    Yep, that's my intention, get it stocked with decent meat & fish, and maybe some frozen chips

I good idea... but, when it comes down to it, it remains an idea, then it's too late (other excuses are available)...
    Today is the day .... marmalade bread/butter pudding day.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Sounds lovely for this weather, I think can smell it from here on the West wind, as someone said recently, like a Bisto kid
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 18, 9:40 AM
    • 64,926 Posts
    • 381,114 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    If you're going out to a remembrance, then to check the weather in your area, use ventusky.com

Once loaded, type your place in the top area.
    Then look to the left you'll see Precipitation - and be able to see when/where rain will come. You'll also see wind - and be able to see wind and gusts. At the bottom you can click through the day/times to see how it changes.

To change wind from km to mph you want Settings, top right and scroll to the bottom.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,585Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin