Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,544Posts
    • 27,529Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160, 126/200
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
Page 251
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 18, 10:55 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 27,529 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Brambling, no wonder your cat was less than impressed. I hope you manage to secure it.

Sounds like a challenge flubberyzing but hopefully the lad will settle once he gets to know you

Glad you did the deed and binned the chicken PN,

And still it rains.... At this rate I'll be looking up ark building instructions on the internet. The wind has died back so hopefully the rain will to. It's much cooler than it's been today to. I sploshed my way to the bin earlier and I think that's as far as I'll be going today. I have my "to do" list written with all I need to do for tomorrow, my grey matter is so scrambled these days that without a list I'll no doubt forget something crucial and don't want to be hareing about at the last minute and miss spending time with my guests. My plan is to do everything food prep wise that can be done in advance today so I just need to make the pud and finish off the rest tomorrow.

I'm going with flow meals wise today, I'll probably have soup again for lunch and dinner will be something easy once I get my feet clear.
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 16,877 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...still blowing a hooley here and I'm feeling gloomy that I've got to go out this afternoon for a voluntary work stint. I might chicken out and take a taxi there - we'll see. Fortunately the friend I'm going out with tonight rang up and announced she'll be picking me up (rather than having me walk there in this weather). I didn't refuse. I could buy myself dinner there - but it's a bit later than I would like and I daresay I'll be "off piste" on the diet front buying myself a couple of drinks anyway.

Flubberyzing - I took that phrase as being a distinct underestimate. Well - it's all money into the bank account.

Bit unnerving to have to do a Catholic prayer when one is an atheist. I find I "know" things I've never learnt sometimes in that respect. Church of England is understandable - as I've had plenty of that as a child and so it surfaces from memory. But I've had the experience of going round a Catholic church (when I'm totally unfamiliar with it) abroad with a boyfriend one time and I was explaining everything to him. Fortunately - he didn't ask me how I knew - because he'd have been laughing if I'd told him why I "knew" it in my opinion. Well - as someone that believes in reincarnation - I'm bound to have been a Catholic more than once and so I suppose it just surfaced from some VERY long-ago memory #shrugs.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 13th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I can just about handle Church of England, but Catholic is in a whole new ballpark. Fortunately I'm atheist enough to think that if a higher power did exist, that I'd be forgiven, and if they don't... It doesn't matter anyway!

I'm generally of a view of "you do you" when it comes to religion, but I'm not fully in favour of making it such a big part of kids school lives, and treating it like it's definitely, absolutely, 100% scientific fact.
    Because it's fun to have money!

32.15/70 October Grocery Challenge
    44.32/70 September GC
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 18, 12:21 PM
    • 16,877 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I tend to the "you do you" viewpoint as well. Goodness knows - few people in this country think the way I do in that respect

I tend to the school of thought of "Give them a good general overview of all the different religions and none - and let them make up their own minds". I'm not sure which I would feel most "uneasy" about - a Catholic education or an Evangelical one. I wouldnt feel too happy about either. I would have been okay about sending kids to a Steiner school or a standard non-faith one. I'd have been okay-ish about sending them to an Anglican one - but would be monitoring closely in case it turned "evangelical" (at which point I'd be considering moving them).

With an Anglican mother and agnostic father - I was going to be left to make up my own mind anyway - they didn't "battle it out" about that.

So my schools weren't religious ones and I was sent to Anglican Sunday School as a young kid (probably so that I would know the basis of our country's religion) and then left to myself teenage onwards to "go my own way" and, goodness knows, I investigated a very wide-ranging line of thought before I decided what I personally think

EDIT; Though I've just recalled that my attitude to an ordinary school turning to being biased towards a different religion than our own - and any kids I had would have been whipped out of there so fast their feet wouldn't touch the ground.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-10-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 18, 12:41 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 27,529 Thanks
    caronc
    State schooling here is divided into Catholic and "everyone else", however both must admit any pupil if they live in the catchment area. In my area many non-Catholic families opt to send there kids to the local Catholic primary as the main centrally located primary is full or because it tends to have smaller class sizes. Families are able to opt their kids out of the more religious aspects of the education.

Personally in all aspects of my life I'm a "each to their own way" kind of person but sadly there is still quite a bit of sectairinism here frequently hidden under the guise of if you are a Rangers or Celtic fan!

First three items are off my "to do" so enjoying a cuppa before I prep some puff pastry pinwheels and make my lunch. After that it's my usual feet up for a couple of hours.

It's still tipping it down.......
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 1:06 PM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It only rained first thing here today - I can see blue sky but the sun's behind a cloud somewhere. It's been breezy, but eased off now.

Re religion - I was never baptised/christened, none of us were. Mum was non practising Methodist, dad was born/raised Catholic, but married a divorcee so that was out the window Dad never went to church to my knowledge as an adult.

Growing up, I went to a variety of Sunday schools - mum didn't bother what sort they were. We coloured in pictures of Jesus. Mum liked a sing song and carols, so there'd be carols on the telly at Xmas and Songs of Praise on Sunday nights.

I managed to not kill anybody, nor covet a neighbour's goat/whatever .... all without religion needing to tell me that.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 18, 1:46 PM
    • 16,877 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Pastures and I think my general way of thinking was probably more influenced by my father than my mother anyway (and he describes himself as a Humanist) - so I admit to having realised much of the time I'm acting the way my father would in a lot of situations.

Yep...that's right....I didn't make it to my voluntary work this afternoon. To be more accurate - I made it there...but I was absolutely soaked to the skin and no-one much was there anyway - so I came back home again. It's still not sunk in yet that the weather here sometimes stops people doing things.....

You'da thought I might just have clicked when I've been reading Facebook pages about various roads round here being blocked and it was starting to become clear that a social event some drive from here tonight looked likely to be cancelled (it now has been).

Just left a message with friend I'm due to go out with tonight about all this (as she'd be driving in from some distance away) and told her all about this and that I'll expect her if I see her. Visions of them making it here okay and then not being able to make it back to where they live okay and that's 3 extra people for breakfast tomorrow When you live in this sort of area - between the weather and the poor public transport it's as well imo to be able to put a couple of people up for the odd night if they get cut off Well - I've got extra milk and bread in most of the time anyway so not a problem for that.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Oct 18, 3:56 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 10,996 Thanks
    Farway
    Sorry folks, the weather here is fine, bit windy but warm & sun peeks out now & then

Up early, couldn't get back to sleep again, thinking about the planned day ahead

Usual porridge / banana combo for breakfast

Then out, today was planned photography day, there is a church nearby which has made a large outside display of knitted memorial poppies, donated worldwide, and I wanted to see that for myself, plus exhibition inside.

Very impressive considering it is just a small village church. Very sad though reading some of the tributes, "from the daughter he never saw" etc.
    Found a gravestone of the daughter of Alexander II of Russia, I was not expecting to find a Russian princess buried in a village churchyard

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie

Dinner is basic ex Navy food, cheesy, eggy, hammy. Very CBA CFO food
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 4:20 PM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    That bit of fish went down a treat

Glad I got that.

It's been on my mind to buy the frozen 4-packs of battered fish for awhile now... but hadn't ever got round to it. Today's purchase was based purely on it having a 50% off/Use by today sticker on it....

The remaining three have been foil wrapped individually and popped into the freezer.

I had chips and mushy peas with it - to be honest, I don't like tinned mushy peas, but there are few options. As I tend to eat just one can of mushy peas every year, or less often, I don't want to clutter up the freezer with frozen mushy peas - and I can't make my own due to quantity issues and then it'd clutter up the freezer. So it's tinned or nothing - but tinned ones are nothing like proper, steeped, mushy peas.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 13th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 7,339 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I buy a can of mushy peas from time to time. I find they are best with a good glug of vinegar. It loosens them up and gives a bit more of that "chip shop vibe".
    Because it's fun to have money!

32.15/70 October Grocery Challenge
    44.32/70 September GC
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 27,529 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Hope you've dried out Money and the storm is passing in your area<<hug>>
    Sounds like a very thought provoking display Farway, neither of my grandfathers saw front line service, My maternal grandfather was based was involved behind the scenes in radar developement and my paternal grandfather was in a reserved occupation (steelworks) though probably wouldn't have been classed as fit due to very poor eyesight and what was then classed as "stunted growth". He was a very poorly baby and toddler and not expected to reach school age, he surprised them all by living to he was 80.

Hard to beat a "steeped pea" PN but they are a bit of a faff, I don't mind the tinned mushy peas though.
    Thankfully in the last hour it has actually stopped tipping it down, the house feels very quiet without the sound of wind & rain battering it!
    My "to do" for today has been done, though I realised after I had formed the meatballs that the chopped parsley was still in a ramekin on the counter. Doubt it will make a huge difference to the end result but annoying! Lentil stew looks and tastes great, I'd happily eat it without the meatballs. I know Yottam Ottonlenghi gets stick for the complexity, length of (sometimes obscure) ingredients etc, but this dish was reasonably straightforward if you like cooking as I do. Still have a bit of a long list for tomorrow but very doable I hope.
    I am however bushed now so something easy for dinner is needed, I'm swithering between some keema curry & pitta from the freezer or "something", wedges and roast veg done in the oven. I'll see what comes to hand first when I look in the freezer.

ETA: dinner ended up as naan bread pizza
    Last edited by caronc; 13-10-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Oct 18, 10:11 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    Brambling
    Like Farway we had good weather here a little overcast but fine, unfortunately I've been working on and off all day so when not working I've had to keep an eye out for emails and couldn't go out. Just finished now so about to have a glass of something and catch up on Strictly

I had older parents so both my grandfathers were soldiers in WW1, although both came home they died before I was born relatively young. One was a blacksmith in France until he got TB. The other was part of the expeditionary forces and was captured September 1914 and walked to Germany to work as slave labour in the salt mines the entire war. My dad was in a reserved occupation for WW2 but lost his eldest brother in France on the retreat to Dunkirk with two other brothers rescued from beaches, until he died my dad would get upset Remembrance Day and whenever the Last Post was played. He had to break the news to my grandparents and said my gran knew which son was dead and that the others would make it home.

My education was in village schools so although not a church school we had assembly every day with hymns and once a week one of the vicars or ministers from one of the village churches would take the assembly, with the exception of Catholic we seemed to cover the range from CofE, Baptist, Methodist etc. My older sidlings all had to go to church but not us although both my parents went back to church when they got older.

I invited my sister for lunch today, we slotted in steak, chips and salad between working and I kicked her out when I had to start working again at 2.30pm my nephew popped in after we had eaten for an hour which was lovely, I hadn't seen him for a couple of months . Dinner was cheese and biscuits with grapes eaten on the run

Enjoy your lunch tomorrow Caronc
    Last edited by Brambling; 13-10-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 11:10 PM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Nobody mentioned the War when I was growing up ... mum just mentioned how much "fun" it was and how she sneaked away to London to see first hand (with her sister I think) what the blitz looked like.

But you have to put things in perspective ... and now I've done family history I can see that mum was "one of a huge gang of family", with cousins/siblings etc of every age who all lived within 300 yards of each other, so every time they went out of the house they were running into their family and going to do stuff etc.... dating Yanks seems to have been a bit of a thing too, with a station of them just half a mile up the road the Yanks were in all the local pubs and "the family" were in some way in the pub trade. So you have a bunch of young things (mum was 14 when the War started, 20 when it ended), with a huge entourage of cousins, all outgoing, surrounded by Yanks, just 1 mile from the main town....

Mum always "did" Remembrance Sunday - she said once that she'd often be waiting for dates to arrive and a friend would come instead to tell her he'd died. But that's unsubstantiated as to frequency/truth. She did have a "cousin" who died in the War, civilian dead, died when a bomb hit her house, she was aged 12. Mum'd occasionally mention how unfair it was.... I've managed to work out who this "cousin" was from doing the tree.

My older sister said something about our step-granddad being injured in WW2, he died when I was 10 and I've not got his service records at all (he's not a blood line).

Looking at WW1, I've found stuff I had no idea about:

Paternally, my grandfather's brother died in the War (of illness) and my grandfather had a couple of distant/cousins who died too. But my paternal grandfather died 7 years before I was born and I only met my grandmother a couple of times (aged 2 and about 6), she died when I was 13.

Maternally, my grandfather lost two brothers and a cousin. But as mum was illegitimate she probably didn't know this.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Food.... again???? It's endless isn't it.

Freezer's looking "healthier" now (definitiion: full of goodies) and there's a WP mince/onion pie, crispbakes, breaded fish fillets, chips.... but, well, I don't fancy those

It's peeing down with rain here... endlessly wet.... so I don't fancy going out to browse for food.

Yesterday I boiled four eggs - ate two mixed with salad cream in an oven bottom muffin yesterday - and I've just mixed up the two remaining eggs with salad cream, filled another of the muffins and foil wrapped that in the fridge to be grabbed later if I'm hungry.

Yesterday I bought 2.5Kg of English Baking Spuds - so the best idea might be to have jacket spud with baked beans and cheese in all honesty.

The trouble with CFO/shopping is you go from nothing much in the house to food overload and indecision...

I'd like a nice roast dinner.... but it won't be happening
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 27,529 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

It has actually stopped raining, it's much colder too though I don't mind that so much if it's dry out.

I'm just off to do the final prep and cleaning for this evening. Folk are due to arrive around 5pm so I should have plenty of time.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... Folk are due to arrive ....
    Originally posted by caronc
    A phrase I've never used

As a rule people don't visit me .... those that have suggest their home as a future venue as my houses have always lacked what others see as essential creature comforts.... good heating/on, good lighting, a telly, bit of comfort.... food in the fridge, drinks available (especially alcohol). None of those luxuries here.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 14-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Oct 18, 10:44 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 10,996 Thanks
    Farway
    It's hammering down here, woke me in the early hours and has never really stopped since
    Which is a shame because I had pencilled in going to a local Apple Day, but I'll give it a miss, I'm not going out in this to mooch around a nursery & Farm Stalls
    My DD on the other hand is out in some Stampede running event over your way PN, rather her than me

Breakfast usual porridge / banana set up

Lunch, I've found a pack of rashers, looking like bacon butty time

Today is ideal roast dinner day as mentioned by PN. Luckily I've got roast beef LO, and spuds plus fresh veg. No Yorkies, and I'm not making any, the weight is going the wrong way at the moment, bread pud excesses

I've got half a tin of mushy peas LO from the other day, not a big user, buy a small tin once a year maybe. Never knew about splash of vinegar in them, thanks Caron, I'll try that with the remains
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 12:08 PM
    • 64,697 Posts
    • 379,685 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Never knew about splash of vinegar in them, thanks Caron, I'll try that with the remains
    Originally posted by Farway
    Mushy peas + vinegar is pretty compulsory in my experience. Chips and peas is always a generous splash of vinegar over the chips, then a small/quick splash over the peas.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Oct 18, 1:25 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 27,529 Thanks
    caronc
    It's was flubberyzing not me that suggested that Farway, but would completely agree. Vinegar & lots of black pepper are a must.
    Prep is well in hand so it's been a quick lunch of crackers & salami before I do my usual and put my feet up for a bit. I've gone very "Abigail's Party"and made a bowl of carmelised oranges to go with the tiramisu. I can't think when I last had them but I'm hoping there might be some LOs.
    GC YTD 2018- 1311/1590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 10,996 Thanks
    Farway
    Dinner is on the way, just waiting for the broccoli to turn to mush
    Then make the instant granules gravy & job done
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,690Users online

Martin's Twitter