Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,839Posts
    • 29,324Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 250
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Oct 18, 9:51 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm not even thinking about the understair cupboard - thankfully I know my sister's is in a worse state than mine and mine is a "boldly go where....." job
    Originally posted by caronc
    Unfortunately this sister is my most house proud one she also can't sit still for too long, it's not unusual when she's here for me to come out of the shower to find her sweeping the floors downstairs on the plus side I usually send her out into the garden for it's end of summer tidy
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Oct 18, 10:13 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Unfortunately this sister is my most house proud one she also can't sit still for too long, it's not unusual when she's here for me to come out of the shower to find her sweeping the floors downstairs on the plus side I usually send her out into the garden for it's end of summer tidy
    Originally posted by Brambling
    If she runs out of things to do at yours I could easily find her a "to do" list......

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Oct 18, 10:24 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    Brambling
    If she runs out of things to do at yours I could easily find her a "to do" list......
    Originally posted by caronc

I already get complaints from my sister who lives round the corner that I reap the benefits

I've just been sent obscene photos from my sister my nephew is baking so she is sending me photos of baked goods covered in caramel and chocolate, flapjacks and millionaires shortbread I believe. It seems if she has to be tortured so do I if I wasn't in my pjs I would be on my way over "
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 12th Oct 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I went up to Birmingham Uni yesterday evening for an education lecture thing... 40 minutes of delay, whilst on the train. We sat for an AGE at Coventry "waiting for a signal". People were starting to mutter, because lots of people need to make connections at Birmingham New Street, which they were now missing. I wasn't in a desperate hurry, gave myself a good hour more than I needed, and it was a good thing to!

Just managed to dodge the rain. It drizzled while I was on the train, but then dry in Birmingham. Blowing a gale though! Arrived at the lecture like I'd been dragged through a bush, and wishing I'd bought a comb with me.

Quite an interesting evening, and travelled a bit of the way home with a friendly lady I ended up sitting with. Hopped in a taxi (there were LOADS waiting at the station, and I'd been a little anxious that there wouldn't have been any!) and home at 9:55. So just made my normal bedtime!

2 lots of tutoring this evening... Meeting a new lad for the first time, a Year 6. Surprisingly, I don't actually often get new Year 6 kids for tutoring. Those kids that might need/want it, usually have a tutor already, from previous years, or get hooked up with someone from within school. His mother describes him as "a bit autistic", which in my experience, ranges from "a bit quirky" to "very difficult". So we shall see!
    It makes my Friday night rather long though!
    Because it's fun to have money!

28.56/80 December Grocery Challenge
    61.71/70 November GC
    47.19/70 October GC
    44.32/70 September GC
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Oct 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Good luck with the tutoring flubberyzing, is Year 6 the year before secondary school?

Forecasted storm arrived in the early hours and is still going strong. Apart from some dislodged pansies everything else outside seems intact.
    Housework beckons today and with all the manky weather my floors are filthy, nothing a good mop wont sort out though.
    Lunch I think will be some soup from the freezer with crackers & brie. Not sure about tonight yet.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 11:34 AM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,313 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Still on the diet and feeling cba - so supermarket visit included me getting a packet of quorn lasagne (as in I define quorn as being "diet food").

To be eaten with cavolo nero kale and (yep....I know it doesnt "go") a baked potato or (Slimming World) chips with it.

Though, on the other hand, I decided to err on the side of "positive thinking", rather than "caution". So I bought myself a half bottle of champagne to toast the departure of one of my two nfh (now it's quite clear they've definitely gone). The "positive thinking" is watching nervously to see what their replacement is like (if anyone buys such a problem house as that one).

As PN says "You lose one baddun - but you may get another baddun instead" - but I'll think positively and hope for a nice one (if it's a nice helpful man that can do DIY then all the better). Tuning into local estate agent websites regularly and hoping I spot that house on them for sale soon - as I'll be a bit worried it's a private sale (ie to someone they know - so might be just as bad as them) until I spot it out there on the open market.

Champagne isn't exactly diet food - ahem...but in my defence I did just buy a half bottle size.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 18, 1:04 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Hopped in a taxi (there were LOADS waiting at the station, and I'd been a little anxious that there wouldn't have been any!) and home at 9:55. So just made my normal bedtime!
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    I am not of the taxi using classes... I'd have been plodding in the dark/wind/wet to a bus stop, to take my chances on one of those arriving... followed by becoming impatient as it wended its way round ... then finally getting off and scuttling home ... arriving home fed up, tired, annoyed, dishevelled, forlorn, hungry, angry and moody
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 18, 1:11 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew

As PN says "You lose one baddun - but you may get another baddun instead" - but I'll think positively and hope for a nice one (if it's a nice helpful man that can do DIY then all the better). Tuning into local estate agent websites regularly and hoping I spot that house on them for sale soon - as I'll be a bit worried it's a private sale (ie to someone they know - so might be just as bad as them) until I spot it out there on the open market.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Anxious times... curtain twitching ... it's endless watching/waiting/wondering.

I am looking to buy - and, if I have the b4lls, would like to knock on potential new neighbours' doors ... so I can see what I might be getting - and they can stop worrying as to the size of my accompanying entourage (which is precisely 0).
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Oct 18, 1:18 PM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,313 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Anxious times... curtain twitching ... it's endless watching/waiting/wondering.

I am looking to buy - and, if I have the b4lls, would like to knock on potential new neighbours' doors ... so I can see what I might be getting - and they can stop worrying as to the size of my accompanying entourage (which is precisely 0).
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Well - I know how long the house has been "Empty - waiting for its next occupant" now and maintaining a watching brief.

This mainly consists of checking out local estate agent websites on a daily basis. I'm waiting to see it Out There - ie up for sale on the open market. That will be reassuring of itself.

Until it does go onto the Open Market - I will wonder whether nfh (ie neighbour from hell) is trying to sell it privately (ie to someone like themselves). It was the local grapevine that told me about this in the first place - hence wondering if the whole thing has been put "out there" deliberately trying to attract someone like the nfh.

This is very much an area where "locals" will try to sell to other "locals" and, if they can't manage to do so, might well charge us "incomers" more.

It's certainly struck me that my house is now (some years of me owning it later) standing out as "noticeably different". That being there are various indicators of "fits in with area" on many of the other nearby houses - including my neighbours. Mine has now had me living in it for some years - and it does visibly show up as Distinctly Different to Nearby Norm. That might help with attracting someone I'll get on with as a neighbour - fingers crossed - rather hard.

Anyway - I'm having my champagne and celebrating the fact one of the nfh has gone (ie 50% of Trouble in the Locality) and trying hard to Think Positive.

This whilst thinking "I'm so glad I visited a supermarket earlier - as it's blowing a right hoolie out there at the moment". I'm still not used to Weather (with a capital W) and I do find it somewhat scary. It feels very "primitive" to stand there watching The Weather through my windows and seeing all this rain and wind and it's sorta a wierd combination of = exhilarating and Something Different on the one hand v. the dead practical thing of "I do hope this isn't going to damage my property in any way" on the other hand.

Lunch (which is destined to be the main meal today) has still not happened yet.

So - how are you getting on? Has yours sold yet?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-10-2018 at 1:27 PM.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Oct 18, 2:53 PM
    • 6,734 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    Farway
    The storm is just windy here, no rain today

Into L's, needed bread, the rest was mooching. But the broccoli is on offer, 39p for large lump, so bought one of them, plus hand wash gel, I've plenty but I noticed the newer ones do not have a fitted pump, just a screw top, more cost cutting.
    No doubt there will be a special offer of something pricey with a fitted pump to decant it into

Lunch was ham & salady sarnie

Decide to bung the beef into the oven, gas 3, wrapped in tin foil. Hint of exotic, I picked a bay leaf and put that in with the joint

Dinner is planned as some beef, with the new broccoli and carrots, plus mash and last of my cooked beetroot. I'll make extra to give me a fry up base over the weekend. cold meat + fry up + piccalilli coming soon

Update - beef cooked, smells lovely, and looks like pleny of hopefully dripping for a nice salty beef dipping slice over the weekend
    Last edited by Farway; 12-10-2018 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Update added
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 18, 6:10 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Mine has now had me living in it for some years - and it does visibly show up as Distinctly Different to Nearby Norm. That might help with attracting someone I'll get on with as a neighbour - fingers crossed - rather hard.

Anyway - I'm having my champagne and celebrating the fact one of the nfh has gone (ie 50% of Trouble in the Locality) and trying hard to Think Positive.

This whilst thinking "I'm so glad I visited a supermarket earlier - as it's blowing a right hoolie out there at the moment". I'm still not used to Weather (with a capital W) and I do find it somewhat scary. It feels very "primitive" to stand there watching The Weather through my windows and seeing all this rain and wind and it's sorta a wierd combination of = exhilarating and Something Different on the one hand v. the dead practical thing of "I do hope this isn't going to damage my property in any way" on the other hand.

Lunch (which is destined to be the main meal today) has still not happened yet.

So - how are you getting on? Has yours sold yet?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    You see that in the areas I've lived - the wealthier incomers do their houses in a particular style; they're often very twee and middle class/London style... with specific colours and wooden blinds/shutters in the window - and they're often a holiday let too...

Yes, weather - it is a shocker how much of your life you 'have' to spend indoors as it's wet/windy out there

Not sold mine yet.... market's died. 4 viewings, one made interested noises except hers hasn't sold ... another I came 2nd out of 2 viewings they did ... and the other two I've no idea of any feedback.

I am spending FAR too long looking/logging every house that has the potential to be viewed if mine sells.... but I'm settled to the fact I'm here for Xmas now, whereas, when I dropped the contract off at the agent's in the first week of September I was thinking "might not have a home by Xmas". Not "desperate" to sell as such ... but I need to be gone before the better weather comes next year, so I can put my efforts into doing what I can in a new place, not pacing about an old one thinking "sell, sell, sell".

I think I'll have to drop the price, just because everybody else will at some point - nobody in my property type/price band has dropped yet (except one, who became a "vendor suited", so are keen to secure their onward purchase).

I've got a big spreadsheet.... RM link, address, area, work out the door number, find it on Streetview and grab a link directly to the frontage, check the orientation/make a note, write down the agent and price and any price changes or if that one's sold, find past selling prices for that house/similar in that road, then assign it to a list. After that I will be looking at other things: what's the crime map say, where's the nearest bus stop and where does that route go?, where the nearest food shop/which is it? where's the nearest chippy/takeaway? ... and similar things will be checked/compared over time.

I have an AA List (view first), an A List (better see these), a B List (OMG nothing on AA/A were any good), C List = "meh, but it's a place to view", D List = scraping that barrel now and the Z List = Never see this, ever.

I've checked out, online, nearly 350 houses so far like this

FOOD:

Today I had crumpets for breakfast.
    3 chocolate digestives mid afternoon.
    WP Mince/onion pie, chips, beans for tea - those WP pies are a good individual pie, but not as good as a wedge from a family pie. I'd buy them again if I see them knocked to half price, but wouldn't rush to buy them -v- going next door and getting a family pie.

As for that "chicken and sauce that shan't be mentioned" - I've been lead astray by caronc's concept of throwing food out - and I've convinced myself it's a good idea... so that'll be tossed sometime soon. I NEVER waste food, this is a shocker for me.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-10-2018 at 7:06 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone
    Fingers crossed Money that you get decent neighbours and you can crack open the champagne
    Your beef sounds lovely Farway, I do love a piece of thick toast spread with dripping
    Sensible decision re the chicken PN - sometimes needs must despite it going against the grain. I hate food waste but made myself ditch some very elderly cous cous & wild rice earlier. I don't bother too much about BBE dates but 4 years + OOD was pushing it.
    I'm never convinced Autumn is the best time to sell as house, certainly the market which is usually quite good here, dies off from early Autumn until Feb/March. Personally unless I really need to sell for quickly I'd be taking it off the market and restarting in the New Year rather than dropping the price. (I appreciate house buying/selling works very differently in England from what I'm used to.)
    The wind has finally died back but we are still on weather warnings for flooding for another 24 hours. The rain has been torrential and the bottom of my garden is like a swimming pool. I think I might need my wellies to do the bin run tomorrow.
    Dry goods shelf has now been tidied, I have rather a lot of lentils..........
    Floors are all spick and span though how long for remains to be seen, still they'll be fine for Sunday as my friend's will be bringing their two no doubt muddy/sandy dogs as they tend to take them to the nearby beach to tire them out before they arrive. Time for a large glass of red I think
    Although it's not cold I'm definitely craving wintery food today due to the horrible weather. I had a bowl of rib-sticking pea & ham soup for lunch and for dinner I'm having sausage & mash with onions, mushrooms, peas & gravy.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Oct 18, 9:58 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,648 Thanks
    Brambling
    Windy day today, but we got away without any rain the wind blew over my mini greenhouse this morning luckily it was empty of any plants, it very nearly blocked my back door, I did think I was going to have to go next door to get into my garden as my back gate was locked but managed to make enough room to push my arm through and inch it out of the way. I'm hoping no neighbours were watching as I hoisted it up only in my dressing grown and moved my blueberries pots to try and wedge it against the fence so the catflap was left free. It was new this year and is bigger than my old one just a little taller than the fence so allows the wind behind it I'll either have to find a way to tie it down or find a new home for it the whole time I was being watched by his lordship from under a bush at the back of the garden he wasn't happy about the noise it made, not a good start for the day for either me or a skittish cat

I was once told Easter was a good time to put a property on the market as people go house hunting over the four day weekend. I think it depends to the property market in your area, not sure what it is like here now but at one stage three bedroom houses were almost selling the same day and open houses was the norm. I was told it was a nightmare if you wanted to buy one as they were telling buyers to put in sealed bids and houses were going for tens of thousands above listed price

Lunch was LO chilli with a jacket potato and dinner was the last of the fish fingers I brought last week I was trying to make a little room in the freezer just served with LO green beans and tartare sauce. I think as soon as I turn my back someone is adding food to my freezer
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Oct 18, 7:44 AM
    • 17,400 Posts
    • 48,313 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You got it PN re my house. But I've not got the wooden blinds/shutters - I tried - but they won't really "work" for the large picture windows a 1970s house has got and I couldn't find anyone in the area that does them anyway. But yes - my house has been called "London style" and I couldnt wait to rip out the "office blinds" that so many houses here have (which I positively loathe).

The funny thing is that a couple of people have commented that my garden is now "rather Welsh". I think what they mean by that - is (carefully cultivated) element of semi-wildness

Caron - the champagne has already been drunk. You didn't think it would last long did you? I decided to toast that neighbour having gone - plus do my "positive thinking" for suitable replacement. I'm mentally giving it until the end of next week for it to be openly "on the market". I'd give it till the end of this week in my own area and I've added an extra week to that - to allow for this being a slower area.

If it's not "on the market" publicly by 22 October - then I will start getting a bit concerned in case it's a private sale (ie might be someone like the nfh).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-10-2018 at 7:49 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 7:52 AM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Windy day today .... mini greenhouse .... very nearly blocked my back door, I did think I was going to have to go next door to get into my garden ..... I'm hoping no neighbours were watching as I hoisted it up only in my dressing grown and moved my blueberries pots to try and wedge it against the fence so the catflap was left free.
    Awwww, yet LOL

CFO = dealing with all problems alone ...

I was once told Easter was a good time to put a property on the market as people go house hunting over the four day weekend. I think it depends to the property market in your area,
    You're right, every area is different. I spoke to agents in May when I first decided and they said "now ... or August". So I fannied about for 2-3 months gettting it market ready... but the market's changed across the country. It's not that I got my timing wrong as such.

I find "just after Xmas" seems to be popular too in areas I've lived in.

I think as soon as I turn my back someone is adding food to my freezer
    Send them over the mine ....

My freezer's full of "things I kept/chopped/froze" rather than "attractive looking packages of supermarket food and frozen goodies". I don't like pawing through all those bits and bobs of random items in freezer bags.... it's disheartening. I don't want ingredients, I am looking for INSTANT DINNER.

Today, here, it's started off VERY windy - and it's just started chucking it down.

I have no sausage rolls .... I want sausage rolls....

Breakfast will be the final two crumpets, as that's easiest.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 9:06 AM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Big haul alert

Firstly I chucked all that chicken stuff. It hurt.... it hurt DEEP .... as I've always had the rule "you chose it, you cooked it, now you have to eat it ALL, no waste". But it's officially .... gone

I figured if I got my 4rse into gear and dragged myself to the shops soon after they opened, I'd stand the best chance of spotting a red sticker (50% off).

From 4ldi I bought 2.5Kg English baking potatoes*, a pack of 2 cheese/onion breaded crispbakes*, a 4-pack of long breaded fish fillets*, 4-pack of beans, tin of mushy peas, pack of crumpets, pack of 4 oven bottom muffins, pack of chocolate digestives . Total cost 4.96.
    *=red sticker.

Then it was off to L1dl as they've got choc spread on special offer and I'm almost out of chips. In there I just bought 1.5Kg chips, a bag of hash browns (I rarely find those in there), a jar of chocolate spread. Cost 2.49.

Lunch today will be: Breaded fish fillet with chips and mushy peas

Loads of meals there.... loads. there's at least eight jacket spud/bean meals... and four fish/chips meals .... and two crispbake/chip meals.

I won't starve

I'll have to freeze three of the fish fillets and both crispbakes.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 13th Oct 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Morning gang!

Right after I posted yesterday morning, my agency called, asking if I could go and look after a Year 3 class for the day. The same school as I went to a fortnight ago. A lovely school, but very "high church catholic", which, as a committed atheist, sits a little weird with me. Especially when I have to make up a lunch time prayer, with the sign of the cross! Amazed myself by just about knowing the Hail Mary in assembly as well! The only catholic I ever knew was my grandma, who was very lapsed, and I'm certain she didn't teach it to me. So no idea where I picked that up from.

From there, I got an hour at home, then went off to tutoring session #1, then went to meet my new lad straight after. He was described as "a bit autistic"... Actually the most autistic lad I've met in a long time. I hope he'll settle as we get to know each other, but I think it'll be a challenge... I did wonder if it's in his best interests, but parents are VERY KEEN to proceed with it as a weekly event, so, if it's not me doing it, they'll just give their money to someone else! So I might as well. I'll just go as gently as I can. Luckily he'll be my "once a week kid", as opposed to my "4x a week kid". My 4x kid is also special needs, but very personable, and good fun.

In other news, apart from coffee with a friend tomorrow, nothing else planned. It's been a busy week, so looking forward to some chill time.
    I've just returned from Waitrose, with my free coffee and a pizza for tonight.

61.71/70 November GC
    47.19/70 October GC
    44.32/70 September GC
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 10:01 AM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,140 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....described as "a bit autistic"... ...
    Originally posted by flubberyzing
    You probably know ... I'm one of those
    Aspergers.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 13th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    You probably know ... I'm one of those
    Aspergers.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    As is my older sister. Team Aspie! She was kind of hard to grow up with (could be quite violent), but I wouldn't change her.

61.71/70 November GC
    47.19/70 October GC
    44.32/70 September GC
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 18, 10:55 AM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Brambling, no wonder your cat was less than impressed. I hope you manage to secure it.

Sounds like a challenge flubberyzing but hopefully the lad will settle once he gets to know you

Glad you did the deed and binned the chicken PN,

And still it rains.... At this rate I'll be looking up ark building instructions on the internet. The wind has died back so hopefully the rain will to. It's much cooler than it's been today to. I sploshed my way to the bin earlier and I think that's as far as I'll be going today. I have my "to do" list written with all I need to do for tomorrow, my grey matter is so scrambled these days that without a list I'll no doubt forget something crucial and don't want to be hareing about at the last minute and miss spending time with my guests. My plan is to do everything food prep wise that can be done in advance today so I just need to make the pud and finish off the rest tomorrow.

I'm going with flow meals wise today, I'll probably have soup again for lunch and dinner will be something easy once I get my feet clear.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,701Posts Today

4,553Users online

Martin's Twitter