Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,218Posts
    • 26,240Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 69/140
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Page 208
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Aug 18, 6:31 PM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 45,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Noss Mayo = nice. Plymouth = reminds me that I've still got a draw entry in to win a house there (well....the house looked nice...as well as being back in the West Country) and I don't think they've had that draw yet - welll......you gotta be in it to win it.

Just tried some of those buckwheaties cereal. Actually - not bad (with suitable additions). So duly had a bowl of that, with blueberries, orange slices, drizzle of maple syrup, dollop of Oatly "cream".....and yep......I shall be making them again I think.

Shame re my apples - but I know where I can probably forage some later on this year and there's a good chance a neighbour will pass me on some (having done so in previous years) - so I'd better get picking a bit more of my surplus fruit for them (now that it's starting to produce a reasonable amount).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-08-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Well if you win the house MTSTM, I could probably be persuaded to come and cook for you.....
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 45,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well if you win the house MTSTM, I could probably be persuaded to come and cook for you.....
    Originally posted by caronc
    You're on

You don't mind sharing the house with my mother do you - as her first comment was "You win that - I'm coming to live with you". I have a feeling she wasnt joking. Not sure my father would be getting any say on that somehow

So - if you want a meal minus my mother around - make it a holiday in Wales instead - as she doesnt even want to come and visit me here....
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    My sister does that too!!
    Snap re the "steak dinner" tonight

I enjoyed mine the steak was bigger than I thought so I shall have a steak salad for lunch tomorrow with LO asparagus and LO coleslaw.

Sitting thinking about something sweet to finish off just deciding between grapes, cherries or greengages - you can tell I've been to the SM today
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    You're on

You don't mind sharing the house with my mother do you - as her first comment was "You win that - I'm coming to live with you". I have a feeling she wasnt joking. Not sure my father would be getting any say on that somehow

So - if you want a meal minus my mother around - make it a holiday in Wales instead - as she doesnt even want to come and visit me here....
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I could bring my Dad to balance things out

I enjoyed mine the steak was bigger than I thought so I shall have a steak salad for lunch tomorrow with LO asparagus and LO coleslaw.

Sitting thinking about something sweet to finish off just deciding between grapes, cherries or greengages - you can tell I've been to the SM today
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Grapes & a bit of cheese with a glass of red would my choice
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    Grapes & a bit of cheese with a glass of red would my choice
    Grapes and cheese it was, decided no wine as work tomorrow
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Grapes and cheese it was, decided no wine as work tomorrow
    For me that's one of the pluses of earlier than planned retirement - no more "school nights".....
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

It's still raining......
    I've admin bits to sort out including yet another phone call to my Building Society who have mucked up my online account and only half fixed it.
    Halloumi skewers for dinner tonight, I'm still swithering about making soup for lunch.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Aug 18, 5:10 PM
    • 16,371 Posts
    • 45,329 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Leftovers for lunch and dinner today - but never mind....just accepted an invite out for a meal later this week

Thinks.....can't recall ever turning down an invite for a meal out yet LOL. Anyone would think I hated cooking - which I don't....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    It's a quiet wee thread today must be 'cos Farway is on his holidays !
    MTSTM - I don't equate eating out with not liking cooking - just shows an overall appreciation of food to me. Hope you are going somewhere nice.
    The rain finally eased late afternoon and I had a foray into the garden. Picked about 11/2 lbs of brambles, 3 cucumbers and I reckon 3lbs of tomatoes. Quite a few of the tomatoes have split which I think must be done to the very hot temperatures recently. I'll sort through them and get any split ones roasted this evening while I'm baking the halloumi skewers. There's more beans ready but I'll pick them tomorrow as I not planning on using any tonight.
    I didn't make soup in the end as I spent nearly an hour on the phone to the Building Society, lunch ended up being a toasted corned beef & pickle sandwich, rather a lot of cherry tomatoes and a cupasoup. Halloumi & assorted veg are marinating so just need popping on skewers so won't take long to prep tonight. I'll toast a Greek pitta and make a yoghurt dip with the pan juices & some natural yoghurt which should go nicely with the skewers.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Aug 18, 9:01 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening

I enjoy eating out as it's not just about the food but the company having said that I object spending a lot if money on something I could cook better myself at home.

Typical Monday brain, I left my coleslaw and pita on the work top this morning with my fruit. So lunch was small steak salad . Dinner was courgette and rice filo pie I halved the recipe and cut back on the filo as I'm trying to be good I also made a spinach ricotta filo pie with toasted pine nuts which I froze uncooked. I've cooked the filling for Indian potato pie I haven't made the pie yet as I want to freeze the other one flat first before rejigging the freezer not sure about the filling as it seems a little dry but it was only an experiment so not one to cook when I have company. All were half of the recipes, I've now just sat down with a cuppa a cat cuddle and catch my breath
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    Sounds like a very productive evening Brambling.
    I love spinach & ricotta in filo (in fact in most anything). Reckon the dryer potato pie would work well with some Indian chutneys or raita
    Did you enjoy the filo, rice, courgette pie? I thought it was defintely a "keeper".
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Aug 18, 10:03 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    Sounds like a very productive evening Brambling.
    I love spinach & ricotta in filo (in fact in most anything). Reckon the dryer potato pie would work well with some Indian chutneys or raita
    Did you enjoy the filo, rice, courgette pie? I thought it was defintely a "keeper".
    I've got some mango chutney, so when I cook the Indian pie it I'll remember your tip re raita as well .

It was a toss up between filo pie or lasagna with the spinach but I really needed to use up the filo so pie it was. I often make the filo triangles using feta rather than ricotta, one of my sister comes to stay around her birthday in Oct so it will be ideal to cook quickly after we've been out for the day.

I enjoyed the courgette pie too I agree about it being a keeper so quick and easy as well, I'll thank my colleague tomorrow for the recipe recommendation she tell me I should invest in Hugh's book
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 63,603 Posts
    • 372,452 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had a portion of chilli/rice. Then I had two bits of toast topped with chocolate spread. That's been it for today.

The phrase "eating out" means different things to different people. I've never been to "a smart restaurant" ever... where "smart" could even mean something like TGI Fridays or Nandos I really doubt I ever will go to a "posh place", especially as food served becomes further and further away from anything I'd like. All this modern stuff's not to my liking.

2-3x a year I'll have a 6 pub meal of fish/chips or pie/chips - that's "eating out" to me. I pushed the boat out a couple of months back and had a 9 Sunday roast dinner while I was away ... that was nice enough ... I prefer carveries though where you can pick what you want and where it is on the plate.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 10:14 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    I've got some mango chutney, so when I cook the Indian pie it I'll remember your tip re raita as well .

It was a toss up between filo pie or lasagna with the spinach but I really needed to use up the filo so pie it was. I often make the filo triangles using feta rather than ricotta, one of my sister comes to stay around her birthday in Oct so it will be ideal to cook quickly after we've been out for the day.

I enjoyed the courgette pie too I agree about it being a keeper so quick and easy as well, I'll thank my colleague tomorrow for the recipe recommendation she tell me I should invest in Hugh's book
    I'd second the investment in the "Every Day Veg" book, I like HFW recipes- very forgiving if (like me) you like to tweak things. My favourite "Hugh" book is "River Cottage Every Day" (that one's pretty smudged and tattered) especially for the "baked chicken curry" which is truly fab
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    I had a portion of chilli/rice. Then I had two bits of toast topped with chocolate spread. That's been it for today.

The phrase "eating out" means different things to different people. I've never been to "a smart restaurant" ever... where "smart" could even mean something like TGI Fridays or Nandos I really doubt I ever will go to a "posh place", especially as food served becomes further and further away from anything I'd like. All this modern stuff's not to my liking.

2-3x a year I'll have a 6 pub meal of fish/chips or pie/chips - that's "eating out" to me. I pushed the boat out a couple of months back and had a 9 Sunday roast dinner while I was away ... that was nice enough ... I prefer carveries though where you can pick what you want and where it is on the plate.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Tbh if I enjoy it and it's well cooked and tasty I couldn't care less if it is "high end" or "cheap and cheerful". What I hate is overpriced "pinged" food where you are paying for the "experience" pretending to be a decent meal. Weatherspoons I'll happily eat in one (fishcakes for me please) - you know what you're getting and the price reflects that but some of the other chains well no I'm not paying that for something brought by Brake Bros etc, nuked and served at several 100 times the purchase cost, I'd much rather just "ping"/pop in the oven a pre-prepped meal at home.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Aug 18, 10:27 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'd second the investment in the "Every Day Veg" book, I like HFW recipes- very forgiving if (like me) you like to tweak things. My favourite "Hugh" book is "River Cottage Every Day" (that one's pretty smudged and tattered) especially for the "baked chicken curry" which is truly fab
    But I don't need any more cookery books

not that I've ever let that stop me she says just popping off to amazon to check River Cottage Every Day I'm like you I like to tweak especially if I'm missing any ingredients

Do you know if you can freeze LO ricotta?

PN any time you don't have to cook and aren't eating at home is eating out, that includes chips at the beach
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Aug 18, 10:33 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    Tbh if I enjoy it and it's well cooked and tasty I couldn't care less if it is "high end" or "cheap and cheerful". What I hate is overpriced "pinged" food where you are paying for the "experience" pretending to be a decent meal. Weatherspoons I'll happily eat in one (fishcakes for me please) - you know what you're getting and the price reflects that but some of the other chains well no I'm not paying that for something brought by Brake Bros etc, nuked and served at several 100 times the purchase cost, I'd much rather just "ping"/pop in the oven a pre-prepped meal at home.
    Or like I overheard in a pub near me 'no you can't have the beef without gravy, it comes with it in the bag'
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 26,240 Thanks
    caronc
    [QUOTE=Brambling;74655906]
    Do you know if you can freeze LO ricotta?

/QUOTE]
    Yep you can - it goes a bit grainy but is fine in cooked dishes though I wouldn't use it uncooked. I always have (at least) one tub in the freezer.
    PS- I consider my cookbook collection as a "hobby" some folk spend loads on collecting stamps or cross stitch etc. so I justify it to myself as a social activity ( and it means you are never stuck for something to read)
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Aug 18, 10:54 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    Thanks Caronc

I may steal your cookery book excuse as my own
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,810Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin