Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,233Posts
    • 26,298Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 69/140
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Page 205
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Aug 18, 11:40 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 10,512 Thanks
    Farway
    All over....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Great news PN, lets' hope normal people move in now

Nice one on the Balcony Yellows Caron, I know you are way further north than me but the ripening differences are so marked, I love my Balcony Yellows, so prolific, and as we have both found, first to ripen

Meg and beans, our local food bank does not accept fresh veg or fresh meat, even prepacked from S/m, keeping it fresh is the problem I believe, and of course some recipients do not have "proper" cooking facilities, or a bob or two for the meter, something which many of us are not aware of.
    As others have said, local charities may be glad of them, I volunteer at my local Age Concern, and we love donated bags of fresh veg, but we have volunteer cooks to prep & cook, not all do.

Had a lie in, no idea why, but weather has changed at last, not so humid, and down to a comfortable 70F, maybe it was a well needed good night's sleep

Late breakfast, same old porridge, banana, honey, & HM yoghurt

The promised rain never happened, just had a peek at the radar weather, loads of rain in the Channel, just none making ashore. Thus out watering the sunflowers & dahlias in pots out the front. I'll attend to the runners, figs etc in the back later

I've decided on a fishy meal day, tinned sardines in tom sauce on toast for lunch, and packet of YS boil in bag kipper fillets out & defrosting for dinner, probably with my last pack of instant mash. I tried to replenish but seems lack of the own brand cheapo mash, of course loads of the stuff the Martian robots eat
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 5,873 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Good news PN, though Cassandra like, I am reminded of my own NFH. The problem was noise and it was caused by the son who wanted to be able to listen to his music (from a player in the house) at the bottom of a 70 foot garden - right opposite my house. It was so loud I couldn't hear my own radio.

How we cheered when they sold up! Only to discover that they'd sold it to said son ...

Brunch was North African eggs, 'as advertised' on the meatless meals thread, with a YS mini garlic baguette. Dinner will either be YS lamb steak with broccoli or toad in the hole and mange tout peas.
    Last edited by bouicca21; 08-08-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Fingers crossed that's the end of "nuisance neighbour" Pastures.

It's mind-boggling just what an impact they can have on you in your own home I know from experience.

I guess it's that phrase "An Englishmans home is his castle" - updated to "A British persons home is their castle". Maybe we expect life to be "normal/as we decide/etc" more in our homes than others are used to?

One wonders if there are equivalent problems in other countries about noise/boundary disputes/et al. I guess so - but only hear about ours??

Maybe it's only a British person that would walk round puzzled in some countries thinking "But I can't see where this persons property starts and that one ends Where's the boundaries - there don't seem to be any?"

I know I like my home to be quiet/peaceful/"I'll keep off your land and you keep off mine etc".....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-08-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

Glad you put that ice cream out of it's misery PN and great news about your NFH moving out. I've been really lucky with my neighbours over the years thankfully.
    bouicca21re your NFH's son buying the house
    Farway - yes my crops for most things seem to be a good month or more behind yours. Our last frost date tends to be the second last week in May which I suspect is well after yours.
    MTSTM - boundary disputes are a real pain, my friend's had a terrible time with a farmer who insisted he owned a strip of land and right of way through their property. It took ages a lot of expense to sort out but they got there in the end.

Definitely sunshine & showers here today and the showers are really heavy. I should only need to water the greenhouse & deck baskets this evening. Small amount of ironing done so it's time for lunch and then my feet up for a couple of hours.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    Just had some wonderful news my elder son's lovely gf said "yes", I am absolutely delighted
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th Aug 18, 2:06 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Brambling
    Just had some wonderful news my elder son's lovely gf said "yes", I am absolutely delighted
    Originally posted by caronc

Great news Caronc is this the Greek lady?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 63,758 Posts
    • 373,270 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Re neighbours... until somebody's suffered at the uncaring hands of poor neighbours you can't begin to understand the way the anxiety of what/when/where consuming your every waking moment; you're unable to relax, expecting "it" to start at any minute... the trouble is that, in the main, there are few others who are affected by them/in the same way/to the same degree.... so you're really "on your own" - and when you ARE "on your own entirely" ... and feel/are powerless to change anything, it sucks all the energy from you night and day, day and night, week in, week out, endlessly .... never a moment's peace. Nothing... anxiety all the way, awaiting for the "next bit of nonsense".

I'll be moving soon - and the next house will have the lessons learned applied to the decision-making ticklist. But you never know what new horrors you're buying into do you
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Aug 18, 2:11 PM
    • 63,758 Posts
    • 373,270 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... said "yes" ... I am absolutely delighted
    That's handy - it'd be awful if you begrudged the very air she breathed!

Nobody ever asked me.... so I never got to make the decision.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 2:13 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc

Great news Caronc is this the Greek lady?
    Originally posted by Brambling
    It is
    I'll be looking out my copy of a "Big Fat Greek Wedding" tonight
    That said I don't think they are in any hurry to tie the knot and I suspect when they do it will be low key.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    That's handy - it'd be awful if you begrudged the very air she breathed!
    It is - she's a lovely lass and so very good for my boy.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    Re neighbours... until somebody's suffered at the uncaring hands of poor neighbours you can't begin to understand the way the anxiety of what/when/where consuming your every waking moment; you're unable to relax, expecting "it" to start at any minute... the trouble is that, in the main, there are few others who are affected by them/in the same way/to the same degree.... so you're really "on your own" - and when you ARE "on your own entirely" ... and feel/are powerless to change anything, it sucks all the energy from you night and day, day and night, week in, week out, endlessly .... never a moment's peace. Nothing... anxiety all the way, awaiting for the "next bit of nonsense".

I'll be moving soon - and the next house will have the lessons learned applied to the decision-making ticklist. But you never know what new horrors you're buying into do you
    Thankfully I can only imagine how distressing a NFH can be. <<hug>>
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 10,512 Thanks
    Farway
    It is
    I'll be looking out my copy of a "Big Fat Greek Wedding" tonight
    That said I don't think they are in any hurry to tie the knot and I suspect when they do it will be low key.
    Plenty of time to look for a "new hat" then?
    Lunch was the tinned sardines as planned, but no fig, not quite ripe enough, maybe tomorrow
    Dinner will be as planned, with nuked frozen peas

Rain looking even less likely now, sun's out, watered everything
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Caron

.....and not forgetting the hat
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    I don't really "do" hats unless it a woolly one
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Brambling
    I don't really "do" hats unless it a woolly one
    It's not that I don't do hats, they don't do me my sister says we look like mushrooms with a hat on

I think most of us have had annoying neighbours but few of us have been unlucky enough to have NFH I'm just glad they have gone PN as no one should feel unsafe in their own home especially if they live alone hopefully you can sort your move without the added stress of these awful neighbours

Lunch was a smoked mackerel salad, a lot nicer than yesterday lunch, TBH it would have been difficult to have been worst . Dinner will be late to night as I'm just off out so depending on time will be eggs of some kind or I've crumpets hiding in th e freezer

Or could be both
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I have a large skull & very thick hair, hats no matter how glam never sit well. Small ones get lost and big ones make me look even shorter & squatter. As for cloche types - well they really, really don't suit my square jaw. A very small plain facisnator is my limit if I really had to but I'd rather not.....

After all this afternoon's excitment I remembered that I have a 120 pansy plugs arriving tomorrow or Friday. Thankfully the weather was kind and I managed to get 120 small pots filled ready for them.
    Garden gatherings today are runner beans, peas, chard & calvo nero for diiner tonight but I'll also cook some of the French beans for tomorrow's Salad Nicoise and some extra spuds. My Dad is coming over mid morning as he has some online stuff he needs a hand with so I want most of the prep done in advance. Despite my sister getting me some stuff I'm running really low on fresh stuff and my younger son is home this weekend so Tesco order has been placed for tomorrow evening. While I feel I actually eat less in the summer or perhaps eat lighter/differently and I have my home grown veg I do seem to need to shop more frequently in the warmer months. That said my last fresh stuff shop was on the 30th July (apart from filo & aubergine) so maybe not so bad after all.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Hats are problematic.

Personally - I think scarves wound round my head sorta Iranian style suit me and I like them - but they do have "connotations" and it's more difficult in a less cosmopolitan area (ie where people do "blink an eyelid" I notice).

I like the idea of various headwear made from scarves - but that has other "connotations".

Cue for getting stuck as to just what headwear I can wear....and no conclusions drawn yet. So my sympathies on that problem..

Hmmm...thinks....errrrm....I wonder if we even do them in this country - but maybe a large/glamorous (but not "over the top") hair ornament so to say. That rather than a hat. I'm sorta picturing an elegant/classy looking large hair ornament. I can picture what I mean - but its describing it that's the problem.

EDIT; Aha - apparently we do (possibly). Quick google of "hair ornaments for short hair" brought up some images - some of which are something like I'm picturing.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-08-2018 at 8:43 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    I don't do scarves either - they make me look like Les Dawson
    I don't think a hat etc. will be needed as I think they might just take themselves off at some point in the future and get wed, though you never know.
    ETA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrp78EZ4jCQ
    Last edited by caronc; 08-08-2018 at 8:54 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Aug 18, 8:54 PM
    • 16,396 Posts
    • 45,397 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Shucks - when I'd just found:

www.fashionbeans.shomalevarzeshi.com/23-pictures-of-hair-accessories-for-bob-hairstyle/

which has got the nearest images to what I'm picturing.

Awww...maybe no chance of a bit of Greek plate-smashing/Zorba the Great type dancing and Greek food then? Not to mention the retsina - ah! retsina

Shucks!!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 26,298 Thanks
    caronc
    Shucks - when I'd just found:

www.fashionbeans.shomalevarzeshi.com/23-pictures-of-hair-accessories-for-bob-hairstyle/

which has got the nearest images to what I'm picturing.

Awww...maybe no chance of a bit of Greek plate-smashing/Zorba the Great type dancing and Greek food then? Not to mention the retsina - ah! retsina

Shucks!!
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm staying away from the hair thingies but I'll take a bit of plate smashing- jury's out on restina but if it has to be done I'll do my best
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin