Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,499Posts
    • 27,381Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160, 95/200
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
Page 203
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Definitely dark choc ices for me through preference
    I really like feather steak, lovely flavour but another cut that is hard to get locally.
    I now have filo and a few other bits including importantly loo roll (thanks sis) I hadn't realised my stash had fallen below my "comfort" level until I was cleaning the bathroom earlier.
    I had a succession of visitors so no gardening done, I must trundle off and give my toms etc. their weekly feed and I'll pick some runners before they get too big. There's rain forecast for tomorrow so the deadheading will need to wait!
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 5th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    Brambling
    Glad the toilet roll situation was resolved Caronc I too have a 'comfort' level which I twitch if it goes under not sure why as I would still have at least a couple of weeks worth maybe 3

The only place I've seen the feather steak is the W*itrose next to the office, the one near home doesn't have it. Im not sure if many people know it can be stir fried so it's often reduced to half price on the meat counter I have two more pieces in the freezer

Popped out to the garden centre for a smoothie with my sister this afternoon, I know how to live it was her turn to off load today so she got to buy the smoothies and I got to listen

Another hot day forecast for tomorrow so I've made some peri peri chicken for lunch, another hot day so another salad, tomato, cucumber and leaves from the garden
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Sadly no Waitrose locally and I'm out their delivery range.
    Our local Morrison's used to stock some of less used steak cuts but stopped as no demand to make it worth their while, mainly I think because folk didn't know how to cook them.
    Picked some runners & more french beans but I forgot to feed the veggies as my sister popped back round. I'm sure they'll be fine for another day or so.
    I also forgot to eat my brambles (I forgot I had picked them) and had cherries instead. I'm full now so they are in the fridge for tomorrow.
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 64,536 Posts
    • 378,977 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The trouble I have with buying choc ices is that they have to be from a shop close by - and I have to be going straight home.

4ldi aren't selling them this year - so I eyed up Sainsbobs the other day (1.10) ... but they only had milk when I looked. Nearest Morries to me is on a route that I tend to do on Wednesdays (2x a year roughly)... Wednesday market, so go and park in a side road, do the market, do the Poundstretcher/whatever, do the charity shops, into Morries, walk back to where I parked, then do their Lidl, then home - with the possibility of stopping in another place if I randomly spot an unexpected free parking spot on the High Street. So I can't guarantee I'll be going straight home from when I buy them...

Today I started by finishing off the tuna/pasta salad. Then I made two cheese/tomato rolls, which I took out with me later when I walked to a "local thing that was on". I ate one while out, brought the second one home and ate it. Then I had the final bhaji.

All out of bread rolls now though....
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 5th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    Brambling
    Sadly no Waitrose locally and I'm out their delivery range.
    Our local Morrison's used to stock some of less used steak cuts but stopped as no demand to make it worth their while, mainly I think because folk didn't know how to cook them.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I wonder if W*itrose will stop selling the feather or the skirt for the same reason, it's often reduced. I once stood at a meat counter telling someone what to do with shin of beef

The problem is there are so few proper butcher shops now, where they would tell you how best to cook each cut if you ask
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Dull and wet here today, so a day in the house I think.
    Continuing the theme of "use it ups" and reducing my courgette "excess", I'm making the recipe below from a WRI booklet I've had for 25+ years. Although it serves four it keeps well in the fridge, reheats well if wished and also freezes well. I used to make it lots for work lunches. It's a great way to use up any spare veg or garden surplus.

Allotment Slice (serves 4)
    2-3 medium courgettes grated and squeezed to remove excess water (or diced cooked potatoes)
    lb mixed veg chopped small (if using frozen defrost first and drain any liquid)
    Handful chives or a few spring onions finely chopped
    Sliced tomatoes to top
    4oz grated cheddar
    4-6oz cooked ham or bacon diced (optional)
    6 eggs
    pint milk
    Chopped parsley (optional)
    Salt & pepper

Mix all the veg bar the tomatoes, the ham, the parsley and half the cheese thoroughly.
    Whisk the eggs with the milk and salt & pepper, combine well with the veg mix.
    Grease and line a small roasting tin
    Pile mix in the tin and spread evenly. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese. Bake at 170C for 30 40 mins until the middle is just set. Allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before slicing. Delicious warm or cold.
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 2:08 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

That sounds like a good arrangement for you PN

Allotment slice has been baked and I'm enjoying a slice for lunch warm with some salad and a cupasoup.
    The sun looks as though it might break through so hopefully the forecast for more rain today is wrong.
    Mince & tatties for dinner tonight.
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 10,944 Thanks
    Farway
    Another scorchio day dahn sarf
    After standard porridge, honey, banana & yoghurt, off out for hopefully final cash injection into my car, repair tyre with nail in it's hoof. Job done, new tyre not required
    Because by then I was near town I mooched into Asda, at last full fat UHT milk for yoghurt making is back in stock, bought 3L just in case

Hope your handyman did a decent job PN and you now have someone "To hand" should the need arise

Lunch, last of the BF ham in salady sarnie

Then scoffed one of my figs, ripe & sun warmed, plenty more to follow in the next week or so by the looks of them
    I think my beans are about done, I may oik them out soon if CBA

Today is repeat of repeat meals, dinner will be last of the quiche, with salad, and CHIPS. Too hot for anything but salad really, but I'd eat meat pie & mash if it was plonked in front of me

I bring my frozen stuff home in an insulated bag, just gives it that extra few minutes, I do make sure the frozen purchase is the last one before heading home though

Talking of frozen, I was thinking about getting another freezer, so I could buy decent meat and other stuff on line. After my car troubles I am now driving around in my freezer cash stache. Oh well, best laid plans etc
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

That's good news about the tyre Farway, shame it means your 2nd freezer plans are delayed. I love having loads of freezer space and I'm sure they have paid for themselves many times over!
    Sun peeked through briefly then it poured, it's dryish now but how long for who knows.
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    My veggies have been fed and a pot of mince is simmering. I've a portion mash in the freezer and runner beans in the fridge so an easy meal to put together in a bit.
    I forgot to post earlier that I had eaten the brambles I picked yesterday, my they were delicious- tart but sweet at the same time.
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Aug 18, 7:19 PM
    • 64,536 Posts
    • 378,977 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Earlier today I was the owner of a 4-pack of 'cornetto' ice creams, as I had to do a tip run after the handman left and 4ldi's next door ... somehow I am now only the owner of one

Today I've had:
    2 sausage rolls
    3 4ldi/cornetto ice creams
    2 slices of bread and marg (which would've been a cheese sandwich, but I've run out of cheese).
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 06-08-2018 at 7:23 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    PN, 3 cornettos, much as I love them one is enough ( well maybe two well-spaced if I had to .)
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Aug 18, 7:25 PM
    • 64,536 Posts
    • 378,977 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Talking of frozen, I was thinking about getting another freezer, so I could buy decent meat and other stuff on line. After my car troubles I am now driving around in my freezer cash stache. Oh well, best laid plans etc
    Originally posted by Farway
    This could be the time to keep an eye out for a small/cheap deep freezer online/2nd hand.... 20-30 or so ... so you can test it out to see if you genuinely do benefit from owning a 2nd one and buying meat online. You might find it's a chore to then eat it all... be careful what you wish for and all that.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Aug 18, 7:30 PM
    • 64,536 Posts
    • 378,977 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN, 3 cornettos much as I love them one is enough ( well maybe two well-spaced if I had to
    In my defence at that, I thought the own brand ones were smaller, so I could "justify" my gluttony. But then I checked.

Original/proper: 90 ml each
    4ldi own brand: 110ml each

Oh well ... not had one for about 20-25 years, so it's not all bad
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Making up for it then PN
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 6th Aug 18, 8:29 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    Brambling
    Today's excuse for missing work 'it was too hot last night so I couldn't sleep' I'm sure nothing to do with our manager being out for four days he couldn't sleep! he should try being a overweight middle aged woman this weather maybe just as well I was on my own today, lack of sleep makes me really grumpy . I have said chocolate and gin will be appearing on my expenses

I'm hoping tomorrow is going to be the last really hot day it's due to be 30 again, temperature is then due to drop to 21 Wednesday with rain later in the week

Lunch was peri peri chicken with salad and dinner was pan fried hake with HM chips and corn on the cob, the open jar of tartar sauce use by 01/04/16 was binned just before I used it.

And I'm sitting her with ice cream envy, determined not to go to T*sco Exp
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    Bl@@dy hell Brambling that's scraping the barrel in the excuses department.
    Not wanting to tempt you but the tesco "choc & nut" cones are very tasty......(as are the toffee ones) and only 1 for 4
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 6th Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    Brambling
    Bl@@dy hell Brambling that's scraping the barrel in the excuses department.
    Not wanting to tempt you but the tesco "choc & nut" cones are very tasty......(as are the toffee ones) and only 1 for 4
    If that excuse was valid I could have had most of July off sick

I have a devil on one shoulder saying go buy those ice cream cones and an angel on the other saying stay away from the ice cream I have removed a certain under garment to avoid going out
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 4,499 Posts
    • 27,381 Thanks
    caronc
    A cardi or loose wrap, big deep breath and no running and I'm sure they will never notice - just don't stand under the air conditioning
    GC YTD 2018- 1281/1590
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 6th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 2,027 Thanks
    Brambling
    A cardi or loose wrap, big deep breath and no running and I'm sure they will never notice - just don't stand under the air conditioning
    Or too close to the freezer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

906Posts Today

7,860Users online

Martin's Twitter