Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,637Posts
    • 28,057Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 185
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 5:46 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    Its too hot to go shopping or have the oven on, so I am running out of stuff. No eggs left, only a few slices of bread, my granola is being eked out. No cakes but I have healthy stuff aplenty, lots of meat and fish and lots of allotment veg and many berries, enough milk and butter for 2 more weeks in the freezer.

a case in point, breakfast is almost ready and is freshly cooked turkey breast, just poached in a little beef fat in a frying pan with a lid, should taste lovely and a big plate of salad. I have one slice of bread available and will look forward to that later, with peanut butter. Upside is that there is no point in me getting mouth hunger and the weight is nicely dropping off and starting to make a real difference. Its the non-eating window that is doing it
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 6:47 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    an hour later and have eaten breakfast but it was hard going, all of it was. I will feel good, having eaten it but this weather has sapped my appetite. Having eaten that salad, I can get away with anything later, not that there is much to choose from

I am going to change now and try and grab a couple of hours in the big shed/insulated outbuilding. I am going to miss that place when I go. I still have my husbands drawings for it, I think I will get another one built, on the site of the summer house, which looks as though it won`t last more than 2 winters. I can store everything in there
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    slow and steady rain here, so I am able to carry on sorting/packing garden/allotment stuff. I have just washed all the muddy plastic pegs for ground cover. Lunch will be chopped veg plus quinoa/lentil pasta all done in one pan because I cba. I started work on the garden stuff at about 7 and tbh am grateful that it is not baking hot right now.

It is so tempting to now ignore weeds on the allotment but I won`t because it will be handed over to whoever buys my house, if they want it. Otherwise I will choose someone who is out there and keeps his/her patch neat (ish) one very messy person (lots of overgrown weeds bushes etc) already asked me and I said no. We have a couple of male newbies here with tiny plots, so they are good potentials. Shed, 2 big plastic boxes etc plus very fertile ex raised beds and stunning amount of fruit. What`s not to crave
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 11,237 Thanks
    Farway
    Kittie, I'm surprised you can get to choose who has your allotment next, ours was always next in the queue gets it, but council run, I'm guessing yours are private

Last night's match caused freezer raiding, one choc ice & one nutty choccy cone

Cooler day, breakfast was 1/4 of the Galia melon, sliced banana, HM yoghurt & honey

Envying Kittie rain, Fed & watered pots out the front, the sunflower "faces" are looking nice now, plus spotted two "Sungold" tomatoes ripening
    The runners I had last night were sweet & tender, so nice I'm intending to be picking more for tonight

Lunch will be cheese & salady sarnie

I found the heating destructions for the RM chicken dinner, has to be heated in oven from frozen, learning from last weeks flygate I've removed from freezer but put it in the closed microwave to stop any of the blighters getting near it

I'll do extra veg using my runners, very homespun, sorta
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 18, 12:37 PM
    • 64,929 Posts
    • 381,128 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    So far today I've just had 4 squares of chocolate.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    I cba going out in the car and anyway don`t want to get sucked into cba puddings and cba bread. Then there is the thought of crammed car parking and I don`t want to spend money this month and it would definitely have been MnS. I need to use up what I have so am doing just that and have prepared to make lots of cotswold crunch rolls. I don`t know why I have not thought of making rolls for such a long time. I am just testing old unopened active yeast, if it rises and foams then all will be well. CC is a very malted flour with lots of grains, smells lovely
    Last edited by kittie; 12-07-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 28,057 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I've spent far too much of the past 24 hours sorting out an issue with Argos, talk about a company not joining the dots up. Eventually got it sorted out this morning but it took a visit to the nearest store which I struggle with. I shall "nurse my wrath" for a few days before I draft the complaint email.....
    As Aldi is next door I made the most of being loaded up with anti dizzy meds and ventured in. I had hoped to take advantage of the super 6 but the various fruit & veg included all look a bit tired so didn't bother with them. I'm suitably stocked up though on jars of anti pasta, cheeses etc.
    Lunch was a ham & cheese salad wrap with flat peaches and tonight I'm baking turkey steaks topped with onion, tomato, mushrooms & chorizo which we'll have with green beans, orzo and some more of the HM pesto.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 18, 3:05 PM
    • 64,929 Posts
    • 381,128 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've just had crust of bread, toasted, topped with beans and scrambled eggs. Had the stuff in/open, so it seemed the best idea.

If the weather's on the turn, I'll use that time to do a slow cooker chilli as I've got an assortment of mince and steak in the freezer that could all be tossed in ... have to see how the quantities stack up when it's closer to the actual day it'll be rubbish... that needs carrots really, but instead of buying a whole pack of fresh I'll just use a can.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    32 yummy rolls are ready, I ate one, so that is bread for a whole month ahead and if I want sweet then I will add jam. They were easy to make. I used 1.4kg of flour
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 64,929 Posts
    • 381,128 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    32 yummy rolls are ready, I ate one, so that is bread for a whole month ahead and if I want sweet then I will add jam. They were easy to make. I used 1.4kg of flour
    Originally posted by kittie
    In my little oven, I'd still be standing there waiting for "the next batch of about 6" to rise/bake

It's just quicker/easier to walk into the shop with 50p and walk out with four and 1p change.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 47,269 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Dinner currently cooking - later than planned (courtesy of a suspected ants nest in a bodgers gap between outside upvc window cill and stonework underneath). Fingers crossed it's sorted - ie I've just cleaned off what looks like brown rice husks for the second time recently and had a darn good scrape underneath into the bodgers gap they left

So cooking up pasta that has some spring onions in. Will have with my home-made oil-free hummus, little bit of milk to thin the hummus down a bit, tomatoes, olives. Scatter a bit of nutritional yeast on top and eaten with salad.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 64,929 Posts
    • 381,128 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm on a roll now .... once you start eating it's hard to stop

Currently cooking fish fingers and chips.... won't bother with peas. Apparently there'll be a shortage later this year, so I'd better hang onto them
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    Brambling
    I got the best night sleep I've had for a while, this heat has been so draining. Just as well a work was manic I managed to finally leave after 6.30pm rather than 5 and I'm not hopeful that tomorrow will be better

Lunch was salmon salad and dinner ended up as bacon and egg with beans, I intended to cook kedgeree but cba when I finally got home, the bacon needed eating so that's good. However it means no LOs so I will need to think lunch for tomorrow

I brought a half side of salmon YS in s*insbury lunchtime it worked out less than 1 per portion when I cut it up to freeze, it was good timing as I've just used the last of what was in the freezer.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 28,057 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Overcast this morning but still really warm.
    Usual toast for breakfast and lunch will be a salad of some sort. Dinner tonight is still tbc.
    The orzo with pesto served as a side with the baked turkey/veg worked really well. There is some LO so might have that as part of my salad at lunch time.

• caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jul 18, 2:04 PM
    • 4,637 Posts
    • 28,057 Thanks
    caronc
    Thankfully after all the hassle getting it my new printer was a dawdle to set up.
    I'm currently enjoying a late lunch of LOs & salad. I think I'm CFO tonight as my son has headed off to get his Dad.

• Farway
    • By Farway 13th Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    • 6,644 Posts
    • 11,237 Thanks
    Farway
    Walked down to L's this morning, nice day and car was still duff

Needed milk and salad stuff, just in case car was still non runner on Saturday.

Update car now back on the road, it was "only" a blown fuse, grrrrr, first breakdown bloke should have spotted that, and TBH so should I.
    Once upon a time it was standard practice to look at the fuses more or less first, so easily to think it is big immobiliser magic problem when a quick check would have shown otherwise. Oh well, lesson learned, again. Now, where did I leave that starting handle?

I found YS black pud again in L's, liked it a lot last time so got that pack and changed meal plan. Couldn't buy much of a lot else because at the time I never knew if I would have a car or not, so it was whatever would fit & I could carry in a backpack

Collected car lunchtime. Late lunch was cheese & salad sarnie

Some sausages out of freezer and defrosting in my fly proof meat safe AKA microwave

Dinner tonight is black pud, bangers, frozen chips & eggs

Rain is a possibility here according to forecast, wish it would, it is very humid & close
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    love the sound of your dinner farway, a real meal for a man

I went to waitrose because I needed a break from all this overwhelming bottoming of rooms. Ate a small salad thing and part of a pizza, both were reduced. I only really went to get a couple of their tiny pots of orchids, they look fab in my bathrooms. I left a mess here but have finished now, hands and knees stuff but by golly the bathroom looks lovely. Lol, I almost daren`t use it but will have to get over that. Photos on wednesday and then a nice break until september, when I will have to do it all over again. No fun selling a house btw. I can`t tell you how many things I have hidden in the shed. More window cleaning tomorrow and the next day and then I am done

I bought some (cba making it) scrumshus granola, mine tastes the same but I only have very little with frozen strawberries and greek yoghurt. I am loving my frozen strawberries, so will be pegging runners down on my allotment, to take with me

I have umpteen mini cucs and a lettuce in the fridge, I am going to bin them, might as well get fresh straight from my plot tomorrow. I have cold cooked pizza and a bit of salad will be nice with that but I need more protein and will have sardines on rolls for breakfast. I can`t buy rolls as nice as these
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening

It looked like we were going to get some rain when I drove home, it was getting dark and I thought I heard a rumble of thunder when I got out of the car, unfortunately it seems to have passed over again

Work was as I suspected a little what is it they say 'a lack of planning on your part doesn't mean an emergency on mine' unfortunately that only works if that person isn't your senior and covering for the boss finally got things sorted but that meant a 3pm lunch, so haven't really fancied dinner yet

Lunch was smoked salmon and cottage cheese salad and dinner will probably be fruit and cheese maybe some crackers.

Just off to wonder why I have so many peppers in the fridge and what to do with them, thinking stuffed or roasted, truthfully probably enough to do both some may end up chopped and frozen
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Jul 18, 9:10 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,966 Thanks
    kittie
    all change on the food front for tomorrow, at least as far as lettuce and cucs are concerned. I won`t be picking any tomorrow and glad I didn`t chuck them. Reason being I am dressing up in lycra, having decided to go on a group bike ride tomorrow. Never worn lycra before but I tried the top and pedal pushers on and they look fine. Tyres are pumped and bike is shined with a rag. Water out and ready. The pedal pushers have a padded rear and that is the worst bit on a bike, hence me buying the gear a few months ago So breakfast will be as I wanted, rolls and sardines and I will be glad of the pizza and quick salad when I come back
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 17,097 Posts
    • 47,269 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Breakfast - errrm...porridge oats still soaking. Forgot to soak those oats overnight for the default breakfast. Guess I coulda had avocado toast for breakfast - as I've got half of one left over from yesterday. Somehow I can never go for anything "savoury" at breakfast time - even if I'd happily eat the same thing for lunch.

Been more focused on making sure the ants get their "breakfast" today. Re the fact that I discovered the ants nest I had figured out during recent years was somewhere in my back garden - and then found out it's lurking in two gaps of the exterior of my house. One gap that a bodger left between the upvc windowcill and original concrete windowcill underneath my larder window. The other gap a different bodger left where base of my adjacent back door step joins the path outside back door.

Cue for me throwing corn grits (nearest thing I have to cornmeal - and I've not even tried cooking it myself yet - to see what I think of it) at both those gaps. I've now read divided opinions as to whether ants take it back to the nest/they eat it/they explode/end of ant problem on the one hand OR they take it back to the nest/eat it/think "Ta very much for breakfast" on the other hand.

Either way - they want it - and so I'm still chucking some more cornmeal at the bodger gaps at intervals and waiting to see if any more of them rush out and head for it. At which point I belt them one and poke a crochet hook into the bodger gaps to see if I can hoick any more of them out to belt them one.

The cornmeal being my "makeshift" whilst I'm waiting for a tube of Nippon gel to turn up from Amazon.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

5,029Users online

Martin's Twitter