Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,662Posts
    • 28,220Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 183
    • Farway
    • By Farway 7th Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 6,652 Posts
    • 11,286 Thanks
    Farway
    I woke early, too sticky for sleeping, so up & at it by 6

Breakfast of porridge, my redcurrant gloop, honey & HM yoghurt

Then out watering by 7.30, it was still cool and lovely then, and wanted to get it over & done with, fed both back & front pots, feeling chuffed all done.
    Spotted black fly on the runners, too high up to reach them for a squishing, luckily a ladybird was on the plant, so here's hoping

Temporarily car less so I was staying in, but got offered a lift into town, went along, nothing exciting but I did buy some big baps for later

Lunch, used the last PB baguette, with cheese & salady bits. My "bargain" L's toms had gone manky, only a couple worth saving, rest will be on the compost heap

The big baps are part of cunning plan for dinner, combination of the footy and heat I've decided that tuna / mayo bap will do for tonight

In my car less state I'm hitching a lift tomorrow, down the sea front, it will be hot but hoping for a nice sea breeze, and eat out in a cafe, no idea what

OK, 45 mins to kick off, 'ere we go ' ere we go etc

Update 1745. England 2 Sweden 0 Time for tea
    Last edited by Farway; 07-07-2018 at 5:46 PM.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 7th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,308 Thanks
    Brambling
    Didn't need to watch the football Farway I heard every time we scored from the neighbours I may watch it if we get to the final

Lack of sleep is getting to me now so a quiet afternoon pottering doing not a lot really I know we shouldn't complain but I'm not made for the heat, a fair skinned English Rose carrying too much weight

Lunch got missed so a early dinner for me, I marinated chicken in soy, honey, five spice,sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fried with soba noodles lots of different veg including lots of bean sprouts. It was really tasty, the LOs will keep until Monday lunch although the bean sprouts will have lost their crunch . A bit hot stirring over the hob so I'm not so ladylike sweating now
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 5:44 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    up at dawn, I think it was the birds again. Just had sardines, mashed with apple cider vinegar, on toast. I don`t know about food for later but am thinking salad (what else) and added tinned beans. I still have some cherries and cold stewed rhubarb, yoghurt. All decent food, so no cooking, except maybe some runners, which I think I still have in the fridge. Me planting just 3 runners was a good idea, I have enough but not overwhelming

I drew my new allotment on paper last night. I am going to take every one of my link a bord bed edges, you cannot buy them any more and have decided that yes I will be putting them in view of my west facing conservatory as it is the best place. 9 x beds plus a strip for properly supported summer raspberries, they were far the easiest to look after in the old days, 2 ben conan and a rhubarb or 2. I am still going to have to get help in because I want a big area of gravel for my 8 blueberry plants, 6 are already in large pots. I was going to get help from a designer but changed my mind. The front can remain pretty but the back will be an old fashioned useful area. I think the beds and decent sized paths will take about 32 x 32 feet.

It is going to be interesting converting flat neat lawn to beds (again) much use will be made of ground cover for paths, upturned turves in beds, lots of added composts and covering, I hope by winter. I think I can do one bed a day, when the ground is damp again
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jul 18, 5:49 AM
    • 64,954 Posts
    • 381,273 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had thought of car booting... but it'll get hot too soon and then I'll have queuing traffic to contend with everywhere.... so I'm now thinking "buggah it".

I've plenty of food in the house... no idea what I'll ieat.

Yesterday I scoffed 2 veggie samosas and the pizza I bought.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 6,652 Posts
    • 11,286 Thanks
    Farway
    Up early, bit too hot for sleeping.
    Breakfast of porridge, my redcurrant gloop, honey & HM yoghurt

Today is down the seafront, however I've now found out about a squillion others will be down there, a charity run hogging the common & esplanade,cafes and the parking spots. Bum

If plans were not already made I'd leave it, glutton for hot punishment. At least I can still feel entitled to wear my England baseball cap

Lunch, goodness knows with all the cafes heaving

One for the foodie growers on here, anyone hear GQT n Friday? Near the end, James Wong was advocating growing, outside in the gound, avocado tree from a stone

Although it will never fruit in this country, and will be cut back by frosts, which may be good thing because they can grow over 60 feet tall. The point is you can eat the leaves, seems they are posh and expensive gourmet grub.

I'm going to give it a go, I've grown from the pip before but never put the tree outside. I'm guessing start stone now, grow indoors until next summer, plant out, sit back while looking up just how the leaves are used. They always looked tough so I assume not in salads
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 47,373 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Looks like I'll be looking up Gardeners Question Time - errrm...is that a tv programme? and, if so, which channel?

I know I've seen various clips on growing an avocado from the stone and got the general idea we can only think of growing a few feet high ornamental indoor plant from it. But I'm willing to be proved wrong on that. Think I shall google avocado leaves and see what info. comes up.

I know one can use fig tree leaves - and, from memory, it's down to putting one or two in some milk one simmers up to use in a recipe and the leaves are supposed to add a sorta coconut type flavour. That's an idea I've mentally saved up to try at some point

Not deeming it a good idea to add much heat to the kitchen (by cooking) in this weather. So I'm tossing-up and trying out a couple of "more ideas - than recipes" I came across on YouTube.

1. Making a sauce from steamed cauliflower, nooch (nutritional yeast), plant milk, flavourings and "blitz" (Honestly a lot of the current bloggers and myself would be a bit lost without our Vitamix mega-power blenders and being able to just have a single recipe instruction that just says "Blitz" .)

She chucked in frozen peas and some mushrooms (presumably cooked - she's a bit ditsy and didnt say...) and using as a sauce with pasta or rice or whatever.

2. Also thinking it's worth trying her burrito bowl - cooked rice and black beans re-heated a couple of minutes in pan. Then it's bowl food - along with salad greens, hummus, avocado, seeds.

Time to get the slowcooker going (in this weather) to cook up some rice for myself when I get back from supermarket visit.

Standing joke for the day being - how can one tell someone that eats this way - the amount of avocadoes, chickpeas, bananas, porridge oats, quinoa and spinach we get through
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-07-2018 at 9:21 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Interesting re the avocado leaves, I'll be planting the stone the next time I have one!
    kittie - lucky you get to plan a new growing space
    The bbq last night was really good and apart from a little salad & some bread there are no LOs, I sampled the seaweed gin and really liked it. Definitely one if you like savoury rather than sweet tastes. I must get some more elderflower tonic as that worked really well with it.
    Apart from cleaning out the bbq, I'm not sure what my plans are. My son is going fishing but just catch & release so no fishy dinner tonight. Weather looks as though it's going to be another hot and sticky one. It did get chilly late on yesterday and it rained for all of 5 secs just after 11pm, when we felt the spots I hoped we might get a decent shower overnight but it never came to anything.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 47,373 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re avocado leaves - done a bit of googling and I wouldnt be using them myself.

www.cooksinfo.com/avocado-leaves

So, I'm wondering if James Wong was specific about different types of avocado leaf?? I suspect we'd be growing the wrong sort in this country - ie the toxic sort - if we tried it.

Add that they said the "correct" sort taste rather of liquorice or aniseed - and I wouldnt like the taste anyway personally.

Thinks - coulda just saved two members of our thread from poisoning themselves there......
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-07-2018 at 9:49 AM.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jul 18, 9:51 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    caronc
    Re avocado leaves - done a bit of googling and I wouldnt be using them myself.

www.cooksinfo.com/avocado-leaves

So, I'm wondering if James Wong was specific about different types of avocado leaf?? I suspect we'd be growing the wrong sort in this country - ie the toxic sort - if we tried it.

Add that they said the "correct" sort taste rather of liquorice or aniseed - and I wouldnt like the taste anyway personally.

Thinks - coulda just saved two members of our thread from poisoning themselves there......
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Cheers MTSTM , I'm not a liquorice fan either and certainly don't want to poison myself

• kittie
    • By kittie 8th Jul 18, 11:28 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I went to the allotment to pick some things and came back 2 hours later. Thought I might as well remove lots of structural things for the new allotment. Garage is getting very full. Needless to say I was very hot and very skin damp so had a shower and washed my hair, just shows how efficient is the body-cooling mechanism

Veggies very lightly cooked, baby carrots, runners, courgette and salad stuff ready, beetroot, lettuce, onion soaking in vinegar, tomato, cucumber and I think I fancy feta with that and the LO sardines. I will be full, might just have room for a piece of healthy chocolate

Plot neighbour has asked me to water her plot while she is on a 3 week holiday, definitely taking the michael, I may give a couple of essentials a drop of water from time to time but quite honestly it is hard enough keeping up with my own. Cheek of it, not like it is a couple of plants. Some people have no empathy, I mean she knows that I will be moving, on my own
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 13,418 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Hello again.

I had two slices of toast for breakfast. I can't remember if I said this on here but I tried to give up gluten for a while but realised that I can eat organic bread so I order fruit, veg and bread from Abel & Cole now. It's so much nicer than that horrible gluten free bread, haha.

I also had a banana and a big handful of unsalted, mixed nuts.

I am going to have boiled new potatoes and salad for lunch with lemon and olive oil dressing. Too hot to cook properly.

Lack of sleep is getting to me now so a quiet afternoon pottering doing not a lot really I know we shouldn't complain but I'm not made for the heat, a fair skinned English Rose carrying too much weight
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Same here, I hate this very hot weather!
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Jul 18, 1:29 PM
    • 64,954 Posts
    • 381,273 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had a samosa for breakfast (quicker/easier than toasting a slice of bread).

Later on I did a boiled egg and made an egg/tomato sandwich and I grated cheese and made a cheese/tomato sandwich. I put them in a sandwich box in the fridge.

Later on I grabbed the sandwich box and ate most of those... just one one half sandwich left..... now for some chocolate covered peanuts.

Weather feels like it's on the turn. It's gone a bit overcast, a bit breezy and a bit "ominous feeling".

Curtains shut since first thing, patio doors open, front door open for through draught - and it's 83F/28C inside.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 08-07-2018 at 1:31 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 6,652 Posts
    • 11,286 Thanks
    Farway
    Thanks Money re avacado, GQT is on radio 4, 3pm. It appears on catchup https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qp2f garden party potting shed

James Wong bit is at the very end, last question. James has a blog somewhere, I may just ask him about the different types of leaves, he said about the bay similarity.

Either way I'll give growing one outside a bash, if only to experiment, and could save the fare to Zurich if so inclined

Back from my scorching walk along the sea front, bit of a breeze thank heavens. The charity run was nice, not a problem at all, lots of people out enjoying themselves, and a lot in the sea, must be summer at last

Stroll along the pier, into the newly refurbed posh bar on there, pint of soda & lime for me, excellent in this weather
    Lunch turned out to be fish & chips, in a kinda pubby place, pleasant enough but it was a meal deal, 2 for 12 so that gives an idea of the standard.

Now back home, I may have a roll later, I did scoff another of my choc ices
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jul 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

It's been very hot & humid here so apart from cleaning the bbq and some deadheading done I had a lazy afternoon. Son headed off fishing armed with his fishing gear, a hat, a bottle of frozen water and his factor "duffle coat" sun block. He's a fair skinned red head so easily frazzles.

I've just finished watering the plants and after all my earlier moaning I seem to have a good few baby cucumbers, the calvo nero is looking a bit sorry for itself but I'm hoping it might pick up. I think I might sow another batch and hope for a winter crop.

Dinner tonight is going to be a use up of tomato, chorizo & mozzarella bruschetta aka jazzed up cheese on toast and salad.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 2,308 Thanks
    Brambling
    I think the heat has fried my brain because I thought it would be a good idea to cook tonight, and to cook something which would need the meat browning and to be cooked on the hob for over an hour time it finished I was no longer that hungry and picked at it enough for 3 more portions so not all bad. And just to ramp up the heat I made a compote of mixed berries.

Other than cooking a lazy day. I made a pastry free quiche for lunch, yep that meant the oven on and dinner was Sicilian lamb and fennel dish, a hairy bikers recipe not one to make in 30 degree heat. I'm not cooking for a couple of days now I'm going to use LOs.

Wednesday i was interested to read about your reaction to organic bread. Bread doesn't like me so I either eat it and complain or go without. May give it a if I can find a source

Weekend has gone too fast as always at least there's air conditioning at work
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Jul 18, 7:18 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I don`t feel like eating, I know it is body telling me because it does not want the bi-product of heat while assimilating food. Any food today will be cold food and small portions, to make it easier on the digestive system and heat control

I have changed my daily programme: nap in the afternoon because I am in that cooler cave, then out to the allotment at past 7. I could be out at 6.30 am but spent 4 split hours up there yesterday, started to dismantle my brilliant raised bed system, which harboured no snails and will outlast me

Breakfast one piece of toast with scrape of peanut butter and big mug of tea. Later a bowl of my own blueberries. Later a green drink with lots of skinless mini cucs etc with added water and crushed ice. Small salad at some point and small compote pud. I`ll be having my very black choc this morning
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Overcast & much cooler this morning though forecasted to get warm again later. I took advantage of the lower temperature to finish (for the time being) taming the jungle in the greenhouse. Everything is looking nice and orderly now.
    My son has just headed off to get his car MOT'd and I'll be CFO for lunch. I think either cheese salad or BLT in a piece of stottie cake will do nicely. I'm not sure what we are having tonight yet.
    The "use up" bruschetta" last night was really tasty and also good for CFO as it used up a few lurking bits of things so I'll be keeping it in mind if I have stale bread.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 64,954 Posts
    • 381,273 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Hot again here today - do you know I've not actually "left the house" except to go 200 yards or so for food ... for over 3 weeks. Not seen/spoken to a soul either

I can't think of anywhere I'd want to go, I've not got a hat to wear in the sun ... and the thought of hat shopping in this heat would never appeal.

I've scoffed my way through the samosas and opened the bhajis. All out of chocolate peanuts and the fruit pastilles are nearly finished.

Not sure what I'll eat today .... but I won't starve.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 28,220 Thanks
    caronc
    It's back to hot here! Managed to get some gardening done while there were still some shady bits but the rest of the deadheading will need to wait until the sun goes over a bit.

I remember I had some pate in the fridge so lunch is pate & cucumber in a piece of stottie with radishes & celery.

• Farway
    • By Farway 9th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 6,652 Posts
    • 11,286 Thanks
    Farway
    Another hotty today, and noted that yesterday's hottest place in UK was just over the water from where I was walking, I "knew" it was hot

Up & about, watered early the into town on the bus, wanted to make sure garage knew about my car & try spare clever key in it, just in case the immobiliser had gone out of sync some how. It hadn't, still a dead car

Seems I hit Asda at right Monday YS time, luckily I had the trolley with me, dinner is now RM cod in parsley sauce, mash & veg. Plus a veggie flatbread for tomorrow, half price. Looks like an oblong pizza to me but what do I know?

Err, and YS crumpets & carrot cake

Lunch was cheese & salady sarnie

I may pick some more runners to have with the cod etc, plenty of runners now, glut anytime soon

And, the first tomato is ripening , a Balcony Yellow cherry tom, in wall basket in conservatory. Think it will be a few more days before it is perfect to eat.

I've discovered I have real liking for the dark choc ices I bought last week, good job it is a faff to buy & bring home before they melt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

3,934Users online

Martin's Twitter