Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,420Posts
    • 27,035Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
Page 181
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 7:52 AM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,511 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    So engrossed was I in my new PC ... that last night I fell asleep in my clothes

Got up at 4.30am today. Just toast for breakfast this morning.

I have a raft of food .... I won't go hungry, but have nothing planned.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    Caron - re the time factor and I found that one spends (a noticeable amount of) initial time getting things "set up for retirement" in effect. That was my own experience anyway - exacerbated by being in a different house and a different area (ie having to find my way around).

So a lot of time went on research/then work on getting things sorted to be "easiest/quickest way of running them". For instance - the garden now takes a LOT less time for weeding than it did - as I've made alterations to the garden on the one hand/developed a policy of leaving attractive flowery type weeds to just grow (and hide the cracks in that awful concrete that's still down on some of it at the moment) on the other hand.

Working out a personal routine (have just made up that bodycare folder - entitled "Getting back to normal") and starting to incorporate bits into a daily routine. That took a lot of research to figure out what I need to do to "get back to normal" (ie slim/fit/reasonable hair). Now I've worked it out - then it doesn't take any time to massage nails/scalp/eyebrows for instance - whilst I'm watching a tv programme anyway and can't do anything else. Now got to slot in things like making hair masks/doing regular yoga/etc.

I think that would be the thing for everyone though - on retirement (be it standard or ill health retirement) - ie initial time spent figuring out how you're going to do things now/how much of a routine to have and getting it "up and running".

Re the shopping even - I'd have to have changes even if I were in my home city. Shopping whilst I was still working meant - buy things on the way walking to/from work or whilst I'm having a walk round the city at lunchtime anyway. So I'd have to make a special effort to get my shopping - by going out when I wasnt out anyway iyswim. So one has to figure out how to do the shopping with the minimum amount of "extra" time/effort and going out specially for it.

It takes a while to get a handle on these things I feel - even if you havent had the disruption of "upping sticks and moving elsewhere" that I've had.

.....and I've still not found the time to make my own sourdough either. I'll get there...I'll get there...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    My life/routine is definitely a "work in progress"

Good morning everyone,

Definitely a tad cooler this morning and slightly overcast, I doubt it will rain though. My Dad is coming for lunch and I'm making him the promised swedish-style meatballs. We'll have them with steamed spuds, veg and cream sauce. I have a jar of ligonberry jam in the cupboard so we can have the full "IKEA" experience. Assuming it doesn't get unduly warm later I plan to tackle the jungle greenhouse. My new hose system should arrive today but I suspect I will struggle to get it set up so will have to soldier on with the current one until my son's home.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • klew356
    • By klew356 5th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    klew356
    Was in such a foul mood (work related) ((doesn!!!8217;t happen often)) that I didn!!!8217;t enjoy the night away the horses like I should of, came home early, had the LO pasta blog and then ended up consoling myself with madeira cake and choc ice cream, which I felt that guilty about the last portion of choc ice cream I let melt and have chucked it! Whata woman

Tonight it!!!8217;s the pork chop and roasted veg but im gunna take the dog out for a long wander, ifs super hot it is a long swim and a shorter walk !!!8211; make some thing nice for tomorrows lunch seeing as thank goodness its Friday
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,511 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Generally ... not happy .... I'd bought some rolls from 4ldi the other day, today's date on the pack; ate one 2 days ago and immediately sealed the pack with one of those clips. Just opened the bag to freeze two and use one and all three are mouldy!

That's the second lot of mouldy food I've had from them in the past week.

"Getting a refund" isn't as easy as it sounds either, as you look a right tight wad and have to go through the horrors of queueing at the till while everybody sees you whip out your mouldies... which is why I didn't bother with the tomatoes and won't be bothering with the rolls.

Bl00dy annoyed ... is the phrase I'd use.... bl00dy annoyed.

EDIT: I was so bl00dy annoyed... I gave them a bell ... and a small voucher is winging its way to me

Not bl00dy annoyed any more
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 05-07-2018 at 1:13 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Things definitely aren't lasting in the heat PN
    The cooler, overcast weather didn't stay for long and it's back to scorching, I'm feeling a bit hot and bothered after cooking lunch for my Dad. He did enjoy it though (as did I) and as usual I just made small portions which seems to work well for us both. I do wish I had made salad but has I promised him swedish-style meatballs I didn't want to not make them.
    Dinner tonight will be something light-probably salad of some description. I have spuds and sauce LO but they can be used another day.
    Tesco is coming later with supplies for the bbq and my son coming but apart from that I think it's feet up for me for a bit between hoovering everywhere earlier and cooking I'm ready to be horizontal for a bit.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Farway
    • By Farway 5th Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 6,492 Posts
    • 10,770 Thanks
    Farway
    Phew, it's very humid & close here, even had about 6 drops of rain, which vanished as they hit the ground

Had porridge with more of the HM red currant glop, honey & HM yoghurt

Into town, running out of things, like chips & fizzy water, very noticeable how many shelves are empty in both Adsa & W/rose, can't think why. I was going to buy full fat UHT milk for my yoghurt making, empty shelf instead, very odd, it's not on offer or anything, same with loose tea in W/rose, did I miss a food panic alert somewhere?

Lunch cheese & salady sandwich

Dinner, too hot to bother, but I've got LO cooked runners & boiled spuds, omelette thing looking likely

PN,
    since my mouldy bread episode the other week I've taken to putting it in the fridge, not ideal I know, but in this humid weather it just goes mouldy here. And I only have a couple of slices most days

I think I'm going to have to top up the bird bath, was hoping rain would arrive and save me a job, and noticed woolly aphid appearing on one of my apple trees, I'll squish them before they get going. And that will be all of today's gardening
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

It's really hot & sticky here, despite the temperature being a couple of degrees lower it feels hotter as there is no breeze. Needless to say the jungle in the greenhouse hasn't been touched. I'm aiming to get in there tomorrow morning before it heats up.
    It's been afternoon of deliveries including some plants so now I've got my grocery order put away I'm off to pot them on so they can hopefully start to get hardened off in a few days.
    I might make some veggie pasta later but will see what I feel like having later and might just have a salad or sarnie.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,511 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I pigged out earlier. As I had no bread rolls ... I opened the freezer and there was nothing in there of any interest, so I opened the cupboard and spotted the tin of Meatballs in tomato sauce I'd bought some months ago. I'd usually have half a can today and half the next day .... but I thought "what the heck, I won't fancy that tomorrow", so I steamed some rice and added some peas ... so it was rice, peas, whole tin of meatballs

I had 4 squares of chocolate a bit later... that's the end of that bar.

I have no sweeties!!!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 5:54 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc

I have no sweeties!!!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    PN that's not like you
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,511 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN that's not like you
    Originally posted by caronc
    It is really .... and I never used to eat so many.
    Dunno what got into me, it's only been the last 5-6 years I've bothered with sweets. I blame the budget supermarkets as I used to be too tight to pay out the price of sweeties... but the budget supermarkets have quite a little array going on at more affordable prices
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    I blame the budget supermarkets as I used to be too tight to pay out the price of sweeties... but the budget supermarkets have quite a little array going on at more affordable prices
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yes but if you eat more of them there's probably no saving
    I could send you some as there are choccies here still lurking from Christmas. I must remember to get my son to take them away with him and pop them in the tea room at his work!
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    New baby plants have been potted on and given a good drink, I had a mooch round the veg pots and discovered caterpillars have been munching on my kholrabi leaves - though no sign of any now nor in the neighbouring chard & calvo nero. Also found a lurking round courgette that was the size of an orange so has been picked. That's my third courgette so far which is probably near the total I got for the whole season last year. I think my pak choi has bolted beyond salvation and my mustard leaf too. I'll wait until the heatwave is over to sow any more. Runner beans are still only sporadically setting & I don't think I'll get masses of broad beans which although doing ok look as though the plants from the first sowing will die back quite quickly. My tomatoes are loving the heat though, as is the bramble patch- lots of flowers and lots of bees so hpefully a good crop.
    I'm peckish now but still a bit undecided re dinner, think a small bowl of pasta might hit the spot with mushrooms & peppers and the LO sauce from lunch
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 5th Jul 18, 8:31 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    Brambling
    choccies here still lurking from Christmas. I must remember to get my son to take them away with him and pop them in the tea room at his work!
    Originally posted by caronc
    We have a magic table in our work kitchen if you place biscuits, cake, sweets and during the growing season surplus veg it disappears it's great. In fact that reminds me I'm trying to be 'good' so the biscuits in the cupboard will find their way there tomorrow.

Still hot and muggy here, it tried to rain on the way home but only enough for one swipe of the wiper blades if we do get any i think it will thunder, but too be honest I'm not expecting any, then again I've just watered so it might the very small amount we had a couple of mornings ago wetted the leaves but didn't touch the soil. Tried to weed earlier but the ground was too hard.

Lunch was unusual for me I tried a ready meal , I didn't have time to make any lunch last night and forgot to take something out of the freezer. I saw a low fat prawn pearl barley risotto YS in Waitrose, it was ok a little too much liquid but not very filling, if I was home I would have added veg, definitely won't have been enough for dinner without, or maybe I'm just greedy maybe wait another 5 years before I have another RM

Dinner was a really nice piece of sirloin steak again YS it was on the bone which I haven't seen in a while with runner beans, tender stem broccoli and jersey royals, simple and a really nice meal .

I'm trying to avoid bread at the moment, it doesn't like me and currently a lot of my joints are acting up which usually occurs when I eat it, so feel free to slap me if I mention eating it

Knew Hope you had a better day at work today
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    We have a magic table in our work kitchen if you place biscuits, cake, sweets and during the growing season surplus veg it disappears it's great. In fact that reminds me I'm trying to be 'good' so the biscuits in the cupboard will find their way there tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Yet another reason why I miss working as it was so handy for offloading surplus treats etc. (basically anything tbh)
    Very lucky with your YS sirloin on the bone
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    caronc, many of these leafy plants bolt in this heat, normal round lettuce, now in the compost. Good heat survivors are mazur lettuce, which grows huge but is really bunches of small lettuces on the short stem, mine are very good, very big and standing fine in the heat, it is a frise type lettuce. Also fordinghook giant chard, it doesn`t bolt and is lovely to cook. It isn`t giant in size, ebay for that and sow in situ, also good with an early autumn sowing.

I have no appetite with the heat, toast, cheese and cherries for breakfast, lunch will be salad with beans or nuts. LO rhubarb crumble will be binned. I need to dress now and quickly go pick raspberries. If the heat continues then I may well leave the other 4 blackcurrant bushes to the birds. Those bushes were strongly pruned in winter and again in late spring. If it gets cooler then I will go and pick, the berries will get very big this year
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 16,620 Posts
    • 45,889 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That's me learning more gardening facts for the day then - ie days of continuous heat = vegetables bolting.

Next lesson will be how to get seeds to "work" I guess - none of them have worked. I got little seedlings showing on most of them - but they sorta drooped and died. Not quite sure what I did wrong there....

I've got two blackcurrant bushes and I have now duly pruned the one that had ripened so far and stripped the remaining berries from it - that's my freezer loaded then (despite all the ones I gave away). The other one is on the verge of ripening and I'll "prune as I pick" on that one. I'd have only planted the one if I'd known how prolific they'd be.

Down to just one rhubarb plant - but I've only picked a couple of stalks off it to date and I think that's still going to give me rather more than I want. Oh well - at least I've got some when I do want - so shall leave it be.

It's just a shame (from their pov) that a couple of my neighbours made like nfh - or they'd be obvious recipients for some of the fruit surplus. Still (assuming I stay in this house - ie if I can't afford to move) then I'm due for some new neighbours at some point whatever happens here. Fingers crossed they're nice. Now what I could really do with is a nice (modern of course) unattached man that's handy with DIY living nearby......(though "positive thinking" has seen me start a Pinterest board for houses I'd take a closer look at if I could - 18 of them up there on it - and I find they're basically between 300,000-400,000....keep thinking positive LOL).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-07-2018 at 7:33 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    money, seedlings in pots need to be watered from the bottom and never soaked. They get damping off, if you look carefully you will see that weak patch at soil level. Once they are in the soil, water twice and then leave most things to grow their roots down strongly as they go in search of water. Mollycoddling is what kills plants
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 6th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    • 64,318 Posts
    • 377,511 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm starving - but it's that age-old issue of starving -v- making an effort to find food in the kitchen.... so CBA.

It's hot here today. It's not been "as hot" for some days now, 75-78, rather than 78-83. It's not been so hot that I thought it worth watering the grass again ... but that's more about laziness than knowledge.

I did notice an article headline of some "expert" saying there's no need to water grass, but I never clicked to open/read it... as ... grass actually holds no interest for me. I only ever want to know what is the bare minimum for owning grass (cut it when it reaches your knee, water it every 40 years if there's a heatwave) ... and then aim for 10% below that target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Jul 18, 9:25 AM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 27,035 Thanks
    caronc
    caronc, many of these leafy plants bolt in this heat, normal round lettuce, now in the compost. Good heat survivors are mazur lettuce, which grows huge but is really bunches of small lettuces on the short stem, mine are very good, very big and standing fine in the heat, it is a frise type lettuce. Also fordinghook giant chard, it doesn`t bolt and is lovely to cook. It isn`t giant in size, ebay for that and sow in situ, also good with an early autumn sowing.

Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks kittie - my chard is ok just now thankfully so fingers crossed.

Good morning everyone,

Hot & sunny again here. I'm just off to tackle the jungle in the greenhouse. I may be gone some time..........
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I just forced myself to eat my daily healthy 85% chocolate and will force myself to make a large very cold minty green juice, enough for 2 glasses and it will be a nice drink. I have no appetite in this weather, I may just have the nuts for lunch, the green juice will do all day plus the last bit of cooked beetroot, which I will eat as it is

Pity help a lot of oldies, the ones who don`t know how to order online and cannot go out because the heat would kill them. They need as much looking out for now as in icy weather
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,677Users online

Martin's Twitter