Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,648Posts
    • 28,128Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 180
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Darn - your comment re a "trundle around the block" reminded me Caron...it's one of the "daily to-dos" now, on any days where I don't intend to walk any further. Reason being I've finally gotten around to making out a self-improvement folder and it's down in there under the sub-heading of "Breathing exercises". Yep...I've read enough about things like Japanese Deep Breathing and other (more Western type) breathing exercises to rev up metabolism to lose surplus weight that I thought I'd try it. Courtesy of a friend coming round and not feeling too good - I didnt get round to it. Sections in the folder to date = get back to normal on figure, upper arms, hair, eyelashes and eyebrows, general strength and suppleness. Just a few things LOL. Shan't bother to list "remove few new skin blemishes" - as that's on the "next visit to Home City list - visit beautician". In this town I find it would be a lot easier than I'm used to get fancy "nail jobs" done or my hair dyed wierd and wonderful colours or red - but a lot harder/impossible to get "natural unnoticeable put things right" work done.

The idea of the "trundle round the block" is to have 5 minutes walking with a mouth full of water (tried that - can't manage it) or at least keeping one's mouth firmly shut - so that one HAS to nose breathe only for that length of time. Well - I've timed it out and a "trundle round the block" for me is 10 minutes.

Will monitor on a bit re fruit - it feels like it's pretty much coming out my ears at the moment a bit. It feels like my blackcurrant bushes/another berry bush I have are the "magic porridge pot". I keep giving loads away to anyone that will take some and there's still hordes left

Had another drink of plant milk just now from fridge and, thankfully, it didn't bring on a 3rd bout of upset stomach for the day.

Haven't bothered much today all round - courtesy of that couple of bouts of illness and the weather feeling too hot to cook. Though I did make a couple of loaves of bread - had no choice. The options were either make some more myself or have to walk into town to buy some - as I was totally out of bread.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 03-07-2018 at 8:47 PM.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world.

It's the only thing that ever has.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Jul 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Evening

so trying to catch up before the headache which is currently threatening occurs, self inflicted I know
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Pop your feet in a basin of cold water and sluice your wrists under a cold tap - works wonders for a threatening headache due to dehydration

The idea of the "trundle round the block" is to have 5 minutes walking with a mouth full of water (tried that - can't manage it) or at least keeping one's mouth firmly shut - so that one HAS to nose breathe only for that length of time. Well - I've timed it out and a "trundle round the block" for me is 10 minutes.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    A "trundle" for me is a slow walk pushing my rollator, if I followed the water in mouth scenario I would actually suffocate as I have problems breathing through my nose due to a deviated septum so I'll stick to my version which for me is probably just as challenging

• By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    NB; At least there was a plus side (I think - fingers crossed) for the day.

Maybe I'm not as much of a computer-illiterate as I thought I was. Latest bout of computer playing up had me googling like mad, asking Google various questions. Had computer guy round about it. Gave him a couple of very specific instructions about what I wanted him to alter on my computer and my router (as from said googling). He gave me A Look and I got the distinct impression he wasn't familiar with what I was telling him to do.

He had to do it though - as I was insisting on it and just kept repeating I was going to have those couple of amendments.

Today - my computer has been working normally. I think it may be the first time it's worked normally since I moved here. Glad I know what "normal" is and refused to be fobbed-off any longer with "what's regarded as normal here".

• caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Discovered I had accidently "liberated" 2 burgers instead of one from the frozen depths so the spare has been cooked and popped in the fridge. I did enjoy my flat mushroom/burger sandwich - made a nice change from stuffing it in a roll and yes a few onion rings made it onto the plate.

• caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Whoops might just have eaten the extra burger in a "need something else in my tummy" moment

• By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Feels marginally cooler here today - should be about right today (the Goldilocks bit then).

Told myself off yesterday for the fact that a minor ailment had been hanging around (ie troublesome elbow) for a few days and I hadn't even tried to cure it myself. The jury is still out imo on whether "healing" works - but done the course (ie Reiki) some time back - all the way to Master standard - so told myself to at least try. Woke up this morning - verdict - it's 50% back to normal. Will keep at it then - and hopefully save myself yet more money on NHS bills ('twas an acupuncturist I had in mind this time).

Right - time to get pruning two of those fruit bushes - and stuffing yet more berries into my freezer.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 4th Jul 18, 8:00 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Brambling
    Pop your feet in a basin of cold water and sluice your wrists under a cold tap - works wonders for a threatening headache due to dehydration
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks Caronc it worked no need to take painkillers and even the niggle has gone . I will do better today, my colleague has threatened to keep bringing it over every time she gets one for herself

A little cooler over night, still sleeping under just the duvet cover but did sleep better, it looks like we had a shower as well, not a lot but the first in weeks

Right best be off to work now
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Glad it worked Brambling

Good morning everyone,

Hot here again today though forecast to be a good bit cooler tomorrow thankfully.
    I do think it was marginally cooler during the night as I slept better.
    I've no plans for today apart from dead heading - which is never ending at the moment.
    Breakfast was toast & boiled egg, I had some eggs just past their use by (all passed the "float" test) so have cooked them and will use up over the next few days. Lunch will be crackers with the last of the chicken & salad. I've no idea about dinner yet.

• Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jul 18, 11:16 AM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 11,270 Thanks
    Farway
    Exhausted, watching England in Penalty Shoot outs must have knocked a few years off whatever time I have left. Can I dream of 1966 repeat? Bit too early for that. I remember watching & hearing what seemed like the whole country whooping in 1966 as the goal went in

Back to CFO, I did lightly stew my currants, over 400 grammes, and had some last night, stirred into bowl of porridge with HM yoghurt at halftime

It was so tasty I repeated it for breakfast, plus pot of Assam tea.

Hung my washing out, that will ensure the possible showers arrive, just in case they don't I watered the pots again.

Some of my runners are ready, caused change of meal plan, despite the heat it has to be runners & courgette tonight because they are ready NOW.
    Home roasted 1/4 chicken removed from freezer & on the side defrosting

I'll wrap in foil & steam alongside the beans & courgette, maybe plop some newish spuds in the steaming water, I think I have some mint hiding out the front

Lunch, I think I'm in the need of something a bit green, could well be back to cheeses & salady sandwich
    • klew356
    • By klew356 4th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    klew356
    still on the pasta bolognese! tomorrow night i be at home so its pork chop and roasted veg whatever is lurking in the fridge
    • Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 11,270 Thanks
    Farway
    Urgent change of dinner plan, the frozen chick portion I'd left defrosting at 11 this morning I found flies on the exterior poly bag at 1300, inspection revealed fly eggs laid, and maybe some inside the bag:e ek:

Quickly into bin, wrapped in another plastic bag, luckily today is bin day, bin collected and it is all on the way to the tip

The runners & courgettes are still go, quick rummage in freezer found a L's beef dinner, minus instructions, must have binned the sleeve, bummer I'll read them next time in L's, don't fancy guessing & regretting later

Next stop was pantry, found a 200g microwaveable FB steak pud, bought on offer no doubt, this will be my first time with one of them.

I had a look at reviews earlier, doesn't seem very pleasant and gone same way as other FB pies it seems.
    "Poor flavour and stodgy. Only ever had this the once, and not bought it since."
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 4th Jul 18, 3:17 PM
    • 64,942 Posts
    • 381,224 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Bought a new PC, which came this morning. With that and faffing around looking at Internet provider options I've not had my eye on the ball with food.

Can't really remember much. I remember there was a tomato/egg sandwich yesterday and a cocktail sausage and brown sauce sandwich (last of the sausages) ... and some sweeties and a little chocolate ... and I think I had two hot sausage rolls... it's hard to remember isn't it.

Today I had a breakfast of beans and scrambled eggs on toast with brown sauce. I've still got two sausage rolls, so they'll probably get eaten at some point. I'll probably also polish off the fruit pastilles as there's only about 2-3 left.

Today here it's more cloudy/overcast and there was even a little light rain earlier for a bit. 73F the thermometer says.... it's not been above that all day.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    ...and possibly not that well-known fact about computers being that each Internet provider seems to have their own favoured servers they operate from and they may not be the best ones.

Cue for one of the alterations I've just insisted Mr Computer made was to swop my server from my providers one to another one I'd seen recommended. There seem to be several one can swop to of oneself and it depends what suits your purposes best.

Hence that could be the reason why my computer has been working normally yesterday and so far today - for the first time since moving here. It's amazing how much more time one spends online than planned if it's going "slow/slow/stop/stop/slow" on you - when you've only come on for a quick 10 minutes catch-up. At least if you're a stubborn wotname like me and determined to do what the computer should be allowing you to do quickly/easily/etc.

The other thing I found out of myself and also insisted on was that sometimes the reason a new router works better ISN'T because it's a new router. It's because it's got the latest update on it - and that can be hauled up and installed on an existing router.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 04-07-2018 at 4:29 PM.

• Farway
    • By Farway 4th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6,649 Posts
    • 11,270 Thanks
    Farway
    Dinner eaten, I picked over 250g of runners, more than enough for a meal

Steamed all of them, with the one courgette, now have some LO cold cooked runners, and boiled spuds which I'll probably use in an omelette another day

The FB mini micro pud was down to the normal these days FB standard. I think they must be aimed at the "come home from pub, nuke summat, eat, fall asleep in front of TV" market. Not something one would enjoy with full faculties. I binned 9/10ths of it

If I get peckish later could be toast, luckily there are no biscuits or chocs in the house
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 4th Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It was "a bit of effort" of a day food-wise today.

A plate of vegetables at lunchtime with some hummus I'd made, few olives, fill up on bread. I've worked it out now as to a pretty failsafe/easy hummus recipe with no oil. Just half can drained chickpeas/juice of half lemon/salt/pepper/garlic granules/onion salt/couple of teaspoons of hummus. Blitz (ie shove everything into my heavy-duty liquidizer).

Evening meal - more blitzing. Shoved some soaked cashews and the water they soaked in and some frozen strawberries in my liquidizer and blitz. Put on top of cooked quinoa. Scatter goji berries/almonds and some of my blackcurrants on top. First attempt at that. Was nice. Had more than I meant to. Filled up on my homemade bread again.

So - a reasonably healthy food day then.

• caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Farway - lucky you having runner beans ready, I reckon I'm at least 4 weeks away from that, re the chicken bet your glad you spotted that before the flies had departed!
    Happy new computer PN

I finally have signs of more cucumbers I just hope they take. My greenhouse looks like a jungle but it's been too hot to work in there. Hopefully if tomorrow is cooler as forecasted I can get some work done in there. This afternoon I bit the bullet and dragged a garden chair through the house and into the front garden so I could get some much needed work done there, it was hard going in the heat but it's looking so much tidier now.

One pot dinner tonight of pollock, rice and veggies.

• kittie
    • By kittie 4th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,967 Thanks
    kittie
    I could get a greenhouse but don`t think I will. I remember the old one that was with our family home in 1984, it produced lots of tomatoes and cucumbers but I also remember the elaborate watering system I set up on a timer and tbh I was glad when it went. I don`t grow enough seeds to need a greenhouse and it would take a long time to reach payback and I would have to get a base. Thats that then, no more greenhouse thoughts

I have bought a sd bertinet loaf, yummy, not sliced into it yet and have taken 2 fat pork sausages out for breakfast, yummy. Salads every day at the moment with my own everything except tomatoes and the same tomorrow
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 28,128 Thanks
    caronc
    Unfortunately kittie, in this part of the UK without a greenhouse I'd struggle to grow cordon toms and cucumbers as the weather doesn't support them being outside. Mine is only 6ft by 8ft but I love it dearly and I don't have a watering system but still get loads from it.

Re your bread - I have his "Dough" book it's fab, him and Dan Lepard are my "go tos" in bread/dough making. Best tip I got from them was to weigh everything including liquids it made such a difference to my end products. I keep telling myself that now I have all the time in world I should make my own sourdough, for reasons unknown I can't seem to find the time to do so
    Last edited by caronc; 04-07-2018 at 10:24 PM.

• By moneyistooshorttomention 5th Jul 18, 7:48 AM
    • 17,120 Posts
    • 47,341 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Caron - re the time factor and I found that one spends (a noticeable amount of) initial time getting things "set up for retirement" in effect. That was my own experience anyway - exacerbated by being in a different house and a different area (ie having to find my way around).

So a lot of time went on research/then work on getting things sorted to be "easiest/quickest way of running them". For instance - the garden now takes a LOT less time for weeding than it did - as I've made alterations to the garden on the one hand/developed a policy of leaving attractive flowery type weeds to just grow (and hide the cracks in that awful concrete that's still down on some of it at the moment) on the other hand.

Working out a personal routine (have just made up that bodycare folder - entitled "Getting back to normal") and starting to incorporate bits into a daily routine. That took a lot of research to figure out what I need to do to "get back to normal" (ie slim/fit/reasonable hair). Now I've worked it out - then it doesn't take any time to massage nails/scalp/eyebrows for instance - whilst I'm watching a tv programme anyway and can't do anything else. Now got to slot in things like making hair masks/doing regular yoga/etc.

I think that would be the thing for everyone though - on retirement (be it standard or ill health retirement) - ie initial time spent figuring out how you're going to do things now/how much of a routine to have and getting it "up and running".

Re the shopping even - I'd have to have changes even if I were in my home city. Shopping whilst I was still working meant - buy things on the way walking to/from work or whilst I'm having a walk round the city at lunchtime anyway. So I'd have to make a special effort to get my shopping - by going out when I wasnt out anyway iyswim. So one has to figure out how to do the shopping with the minimum amount of "extra" time/effort and going out specially for it.

It takes a while to get a handle on these things I feel - even if you havent had the disruption of "upping sticks and moving elsewhere" that I've had.

.....and I've still not found the time to make my own sourdough either. I'll get there...I'll get there...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 05-07-2018 at 7:50 AM.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 5th Jul 18, 7:52 AM
    • 64,942 Posts
    • 381,224 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    So engrossed was I in my new PC ... that last night I fell asleep in my clothes

Got up at 4.30am today. Just toast for breakfast this morning.

I have a raft of food .... I won't go hungry, but have nothing planned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,751Posts Today

6,560Users online

Martin's Twitter