Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,404Posts
    • 26,989Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £105/£140, Sep £152/£160
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
Page 143
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I have just finished a quick prep for breakfast, my veg drawers are very full, I even got a large bag of baby spinach in my new box and am going to have to `work` quite hard all week, to use everything up. Lol, I will be able to fly up hills by the weekend. Veg prepped for tomorrow to go with my veggie tart breakfast, roasted beetroot/sweet potato and shredded cabbage to which I have added some mint as they gave me a lot of mint and parsley. Won`t take much effort to reach high a day tomorrow

I have reached dozy stage of the day, my body certainly winds down for bed. I am watching something or other at 9, must be interesting because I can`t remember what. Kate humble from 7-8, was interesting. I cannot read or do nothing or I fall asleep before I blink, hence the food prep. I am loving having the mains in and ready to use.

Now what will I have for lunch? I think a stir fry veggie mix with a piece of pan fried fish and I have no space for nibbles by the time I have had my hemp drink, dark chocolate, berries and creme fraiche. Tbh, I look forward to all my `treats` during the day but no treat after 1 and then something like 2 small pieces of spelt toast at latest 5 and that is it. I have my eating window and then don`t eat and never feel hunger pangs when I know I am in that no eating window

A couple of houses popped up via alerts, one was overlooking school playing fields, furthest local area. Delving online, I see that those fields are busy all the time, football, hirings etc so crossed off. Another is an hour away but am too `scared` to go that far, my friends are local. It isn`t good enough for me to risk a viewing and garden is too small as I would have to give my allotment up, anyway typical big family house
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    Quick post before bed for all who used to love the Frey Bentos Pies. Poundland have a really lovely tin of stewed steak, lots of chunks of meat, not the gristly couple lol, add a topping of ready made pastry and two, like it used to be pies.
    ITs brand name is Churchfields.
    Last edited by meg72; 16-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    Slimming World at target
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I am full, kale and lentil pie was filling, just read ingredients and too much grain in there for me, vegan tart and not tasty. I can do much better, making my own tarts but have to not be in cba mode. Toms tarts arrive next week, hope they also have thin pastry and taste better

The lemon in the fridge is calling me today, I have 2 1/2 lemons. It will be warm out so I will juice lemon, spinach, mint, cucumber then serve with with crushed ice. Juice into vitamix, add ice, 2 seconds on high= cold spoonable drink to enjoy outside

Got to get a piece of fish out for lunch, freezer to fridge. Some dill sauce left in jar, loved it and will try to find more to buy, cannot remember where I got it, is packed with dill. Lasts about 3 months in opened jar in the fridge, mine didn`t, I ate it
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    went to the allotment, minimal hoeing now, easiest ever this year because I am keeping on top of it. Something has decimated 5 out of 8 lettuces, underground, so either small underground slugs or ants. Here we go, us against the small world. Farway I have a humungous beautiful crop of gooseberries on every scalped standard plant. I don`t even think the sawfly will get up those lengths of stem. This is only the second year after scalping.

So now I am sitting here drinking my experimental iced drink and it is wonderful, I did add an apple to the juicing bit because I wanted the flavour and I used the half lemon, cut skin and pith off. I only added 2 ice cubes but I had a pack from sainsburys and didn`t appreciate how big the cubes (blocks) are, the size of tennis balls. I was ready to switch the vitamix off but didn`t have to, took 6 seconds not 2
    Last edited by kittie; 17-05-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 26,989 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

How annoying re your lettuces kittie
    Nice and sunny here this morning so more potting on will be done.
    Usual toast for breakfast and a salad roll planned for lunch. I'm out early evening so it will be something quick for dinner when I get back.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 64,279 Posts
    • 377,357 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I popped into L1dl to get some sausage rolls .... and they have their hash browns again! Hurrah. So I bought a bag of those, bag of chips (while I was at the freezer I might as well), some sausages and eggs, so I'll be enjoying some cooked breakfasts with my favourite HBs in the next week or so They've not sold them since late last November, I thought they'd stopped... maybe they're a "summer item" for some bizarre reason.

Also bought a bag of 350g of "unknown chocolate bars", which turned out to be a bag of mini milky ways and something identical that has some nuts in ... which are pretty unexciting, so I won't get those again... eaten four I think... still loads more to go.

Been "doing house tidy up" bits and pieces. Nothing major.... decluttered/tidied under the stairs, went out to get basic painting paraphernalia (£land) ... and bought a random large tin of white (you can always use white) ....

Also dropped off an old printer at the tip that I'd kept as it was also a scanner, but I've not had a need to scan anything now for over 6 years, so it was time to get rid.

Sunny/hot here.... had two hot sausage rolls for lunch.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 64,279 Posts
    • 377,357 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    .... Frey Bentos Pies. Poundland ... stewed steak.... ready made pastry .... Churchfields.
    Originally posted by meg72
    I'll keep an eye out
    Trouble is, that's £1 for the tin, plus the pastry - whereas the FB pie's £1 for a pie... so I'm unlikely to bother as it's pricier and you end up with more food than you'd have liked to have committed to.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm being lazy today and haven't gone for a walk lunchtime, I feel I may regret that about 3pm when the brain fog creeps in especially as it's look nice out there.

I'm looking at my freezer and cupboard audits and trying to meal plan for the next week. I want to try something different or retry something I haven't cooked for a while, so have been searching for ideas. If I'm not careful I easily get stuck in a rut with food. I've also realised that I'm eating a lot more meat than usual, I usually plan for a couple of fish dinners a week and a couple of meat/fish free days.

Lasagna for lunch it was probably more a dinner size portion rather than a lunch one, so dinner will be something snacky I think either cheese and biscuits, crumpets or fruit
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th May 18, 3:14 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 10,756 Thanks
    Farway
    The "make some bread" urge overcame me yesterday afternoon, luckily I had a pack of YS gluten free mix I impulse bought a few months back, not something I normally buy, but it was 49p down from £2.50, and in date. Helen's gluten free, mine was from Asda

It turned out OKish, but not for me. At least I tried it

Breakfast was porridge, banana , yoghurt as usual

Hot day, blue sky into town, one YS cheese & onion quiche, a not very hungry family size

Back to spot of gardening, the busy Lizzie problem BTW was downy mildew, infected seed stock. It has been rebreed, hence all back to normal. Mine are in a wall basket

Potted on my dahlias, by now I had planned them to be planted out, but the late spring means my daffs still have the leaves on and stopping me putting the dahlias in

Bit of pruning, I saw on You tube about tip pruning figs this time of year, so did that, looks like I'll get a good crop this year, unlike my cherry, only 3 left, the snails scoffed all the blossom
    Goosegogs, another fail, a few skulking under the leaves and that's it

Lunch was sandwich using my GF loaf, with cheese & HM 2013 vintage apple & blackberry chutney.

Dinner will be half of the YS quiche, with salad & maybe some cold LO new spuds from yesterday. CBA to make spud salad, I'll just plebby pour salad cream on
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I found the dill sauce online and have bought in bulk, was worth it to me, lasted quite a while for quite a few meals and if it helps me to eat fish, then all the better, called clives

I have loved my food all day today, had umpteen more than 5 a day, more like 14 and it was easy. It is the time of year, effortless because of the variety. Downfall were the frozen beautiful flapjacks that were more like a yummy sweet than flapjacks but heyho, I will make them again in future and that is a definite. Still lots left, wish I could forget about them

I need to think of tomorrows food, well in advance and it is going to be lamb to start with, I have a couple of small chops, so small that I will be having the two. Oven cooked, so I can get beetroot and sweet potato wedges in at the same time. Shredded cabbage and parsley will also be ready in a pan in the fridge. Lunch halloumi and stir fry veg, yes I like food cooked simply and light cooking is enough to break down the fibres

I have had a lovely day, mostly doing nothing but reading in the sun and helped by sleeping 8 hours last night
    • wort
    • By wort 17th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    wort
    Extremely busy day I work, my feet and back are talking to one another!
    I had tinned salmon sandwich and yogurt with raspberries and a satsuma.
    Tea was potato wedges and a couple of tempura battered chicken bits. With a mound of alliolli to dip them In .Yummy I really enjoyed them , too full for anything else yet but may have something later.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 64,279 Posts
    • 377,357 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Had an afternoon snooze.... woke up not knowing what day it was/what the time was.... cooked two sausage rolls for tea
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 26,989 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I thought I was going to be AWOL as I was internetless due to an area fault......
    My meeting got postponed, so rather than a repeat meal of spanish chicken; pork souvlaki, spicy courgettes and Greek pita are just about ready and the chicken frozen for another day. (All from freezer stocks so very little cooking involved).
    Glorious day here, I'd like to say I got lots done in the garden but it would be a lie as much more lazing/reading in the sunshine was had.

A lot of my bedding plants are having their first night out on my deck so fingers crossed they don't get slugged!
    Last edited by caronc; 17-05-2018 at 9:09 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • wort
    • By wort 18th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    wort
    Sounds like a perfect day Caronc.
    I didn't make any sandwiches for work today so I've thrown together, a salad , I had a salad bowl sweet and crispy, with lettuce, onion, peppers cucumber, sweetcorn,tomatoes ,sun blush tomato, olives,carrot, and some cubes of cheddar with pickles and chives in it. I had lo baby pots from weds, so I've chopped them small and added a spoon of green pesto and will micro warm and add to salad later.

Dgson here for tea so no doubt chicken jalfrezi, with magnum style lollies for after.

I'm looking forward to my weekend off, hope the weather stays as nice as it has been.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 10,756 Thanks
    Farway
    Morning all, up at silly time with my pot of tea listening to the farming bit on radio 4, actually of more interest than constant wedding deluge, slips into grumpy old git mode

Although today is volunteering day I had a breakfast because I was up early. Normal porridge, banana, honey & HM yoghurt

I'm into L's before the volunteer duties, I'm on the lookout for the hash browns as per PN, I've never had them except in a cafe, so going to give them a bash

PS Caron, hope the slugs left the bedding pants alone
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 26,989 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Overcast but warm here so I'm hoping the sun manages to break through.
    The bedding plants appear to have survived the night unscathed.
    After my lazy day yesterday I'm hoping to get a bit more achieved today.
    Food plans so far are non existent though lunch will no doubt end up being a salad roll.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 64,279 Posts
    • 377,357 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've been up since just after 5am ... pondering the question of whether I'll become motivated enough today to dab some paint at the wall in a "first coat" fashion. So far I've decided "No.... "

Breakfast was hash browns, sausages, beans, scrambled eggs... big bowl it was, with a splash of brown sauce and a coffee
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I decided that I had to do something with the garage, it was too full of `packed ` boxes of tools etc. I started it this morning and garage is done, some stuff simply transferred to my outbuilding, got to tackle that today, I had too many times of `dumping` stuff in there lately. At least now I can get to carve or scrollsaw or sharpen tools. On the way back up my side entrance and always being watchful in case of maintenance jobs, drat a scary 6` hairline crack in the lime render, a curve and starting below the corner of a tiny high window. Probably caused by heat and cold lately. Sorted it with diluted paint, I believe that the dilution enables paint to be sucked into the crack. Cannot see it now but fingers crossed. The sooner I leave here the better

Kings breakfast was nice and I find them easy to eat. Had a consolation slice of hm malt loaf with my coffee. Will re-start sorting in the outbuilding again and keep at it until done and only then will I have lunch. I have small mushrooms, so will have mushroom omlette and sliced tomato. Will make a drink like yesterday, juice and then blended with ice. I can`t keep up with myself today
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I always knew why I hibernated in winter, just getting ready for tail wagging dog time in may. Jobs are done, hooks screwed up, thank goodness for battery drills. Things hung on the outbuilding walls, leaving the floor in an `open` state, looks a lot better and I will be able to find things. Always got a mind on viewings, which could happen out of the blue as soon as I find somewhere. Won`t be time to do anything but bare bones stuff then

Having my drink now, cannot believe how nice it is in spite of looking so green, the number one taste is ice cold mint, lemon and cucumber but I put half a bag of spinach into it. Eggs are out and so is a small cube of cheese and the mushrooms are sliced. Omlette soon

I am dressed in very casual working clothes, nice and comfy, clean,loose and cotton and I don`t care who sees me so am not changing. I will be very cosy reading after I have cleared up after lunch. I have been outside a lot of today, with my sun hat on, will be happy to stay in now
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,404 Posts
    • 26,989 Thanks
    caronc
    I've been up since just after 5am ... pondering the question of whether I'll become motivated enough today to dab some paint at the wall in a "first coat" fashion. So far I've decided "No.... "
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I can`t keep up with myself today
    Originally posted by kittie

Perhaps the two of you could swap oomph and cbaness.....

I've just treated myself to a lightweight electric drill/screwdriver. I'm finding the one I have too heavy for me to wield and keep my balance at the same time! I only need it for small things so the new one should be ideal.

I've not made to the garden yet but have been to the library. I realised I would run of of books before Monday which would never do..... It's still very overcast but will be fine for working in. That said it's feet up with a book for me for a couple of hours before I do anything else.

Lunch was a cheese, lettuce & coleslaw roll with a handful of radishes.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,469Users online

Martin's Twitter