Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,042Posts
    • 25,507Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Apr 164/200, May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 149/150
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
Page 142
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Brambling
    wort you're lucky your cat waits until the alarm, mine has decided 5am is a good time to wake me up. This morning I ended up with a 10lb cat sitting on my chest demanding an ear scratch. My sister nags me tells me I shouldn't allow him upstairs if that doesn't work he jumps on the dressing table and knocks stuff off.

Farway the bread recipe is really cba but you have to wait 18 hours for it to rise rather than kneading. I do find kneading bread very satisfactory, some of the best bread I made was the day I was made redundant from my last job, I wasn't really imagining it was the management team

I managed to get a walk in with my sister tonight it was lovely to still be walking in tee shirts at 8.30pm across the fields watching the rabbits. We were only out for just over the hour but we both got work grumbles off our chests and then enjoyed the walk. My knee had been playing up since sitting in traffic yesterday morning and a good walk always helps.

Lunch was the last of the LO chicken, with a green salad and potato salad. Dinner wasn't so good I now remembered why I don't buy ready meals I picked up some YS goats cheese and caramelised onion ravioli In w*itrose as I wanted something quick, It was too sweet and I couldn't taste the goats cheese. I don't like to waste food but I think I'm going to throw the LO half pack away. Life's too short to eat what you don't like . Back to cooking my own
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 6:23 AM
    • 63,254 Posts
    • 370,451 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...My sister nags me tells me I shouldn't allow him upstairs...
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'd say this too. Although he's lovely and fluffy and cute, you have to make the choices.... you are the adult in the relationship ... and, ultimately, it's an animal that used to live outdoors, so it won't be neglect if you don't let it upstairs.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 6:53 AM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 78,629 Thanks
    kittie
    I wrote a similar post and deleted it but I cannot abide pets upstairs and especially in bedrooms. We never allowed it when we had cats and dogs. I never had any pet in this house and it is always fresh, visitors with asthma never get any breathing problems here. No hair, no fleas, no lurking dander, no tapeworm segments. On a duvet!!

King`s breakfast is eaten and the pasta bake was very good, not creamy and stodgy like bought bakes. I now await my organic box and will decide how to make a veg medley for my lunchtime omlette, maybe stir fry rather than roasted

Definitely nice for cycling later, that will be exercise done for the day
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 7:39 AM
    • 63,254 Posts
    • 370,451 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ...tapeworm segments. On a duvet!!
    Originally posted by kittie
    I think that nails it!
    Gross.

I've never had a pet, so had no idea!

Growing up, we had a cat. He was never allowed upstairs, it never occurred to us that it'd be something to do. Cats live outside, get fed outside or in the kitchen - and are allowed into the living room when humans are present.

If you've ever watched Come Dine With Me you'll see some episodes where a host has a pet, usually a dog.... the programme is 4-5 contestants who cook the others a meal in their house and then they are judged/get points from the diners for hosting, the food, entertainment... winner gets 1000. That's a whole 1000 ... and time and time again some cat/dog owners have the animals all over the kitchen while they're cooking - and even bring their pet to the dining table, letting them walk on the table (cats), and/or be fed at the table.... and every time all the other contestants mark them down for it. They could've won the 1000 if they'd started their day by tossing the pet into the garden and locking the door until the guests had gone
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 16-05-2018 at 7:44 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 78,629 Thanks
    kittie
    I just prepared flapjacks, took 5 minutes. malt extract/honey/oats/butter add anything to that, I added chopped almonds and sultanas. Will bake now, while the small oven is still warm
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 16th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 6,232 Posts
    • 29,796 Thanks
    pineapple
    My dogs have always slept in the bedroom. As a singleton it feels nice to have another being breathing close by. Plus my current dog would probably chew the leg off any unwanted visitors. At the least he comes to get me if he hears anything untoward, so it gives a feeling of security. Also, when my last dog had health problems in later life, I could monitor her over the night.
    I have never had a problem with letting them in the kitchen. My last house was open plan downstairs anyway so banning the dog would have been an impossibility. Also I eat in the lounge and my dog is always in there, so I don't see the difference. To the best of my knowledge I have never caught anything. What does gross me out however is keeping cat dishes/food on the work surface and the cats roaming round on the work surface. I know someone with 5 cats and her work surface is plain nasty. Also people who wash pet food dishes along with theirs or who put down their own plate, with scraps, for the pet to eat off.
    Anyhow - this week I was given a dozen fresh duck eggs and last night I made an omelette with a filling of chestnut mushrooms, chopped fresh garlic and cheese. The only downside was the cheese - which came from the travelling butcher. I got red cheddar as that was all he stocks. He says he has no call for white cheddar. Quite why people want extra dye with their food escapes me. But the main thing was the flavour - or lack of it. I usually get mature or extra mature and this was just a big lump of unnaturally coloured nothing.
    Last edited by pineapple; 16-05-2018 at 8:47 AM.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Brambling
    The advantage of living alone I get to decide what pet I have and where it roams . Complaining about him waking me up is always done tongue in cheek because it's my choice he come upstairs, he's not allowed in the spare bedrooms because it's not always a visitors choice. he has a catflap but it is shut in a night, helps to save the local rodent population

As with Pineapple, I like something else living and breathing in the house, I lost both my cats last year and took 7 months to go and get a rescue one, One of the reasons was an bad asthma flare up just after I lost the last cat which lasted 6 months it seems its worst when I don't have cats! He's 5 so has come with some bad habits which we are carefully working on as he's been mistreated and needs a gentle hand. No cats on the table or work tops in my house, but I'm sensible enough to know he could be when I'm out so I use antiseptic wipes before doing anything. I also don't want to live with fleas or worms so he's treated for both regularly

I used to know someone who bred cats and even I as a cat lover didn't want to eat there, cats on the worktop as she cooked and on the table when you ate, combined with the fact she was a really bad cook I only did it once and then made excuses or suggested the pub.

Back to food meatballs and pasta for lunch, not CFO tonight my neighbour wants to go to the beefeater and I've been putting off going but he's coming up to 86 so I've said I'll drive him up there tonight, it won't be a late night we just have to avoid talking politics, religion, immigration......
    • wort
    • By wort 16th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 10,284 Thanks
    wort
    Brambling you don't need an alarm clock then!!
    I meant my house alarm, the cat is usually out at night, it's a pain trying to keep him in !!!
    I've never let him upstairs at night, though we he comes in from his night on the tiles he goes up to the spare room and goes on the cat tree in the window, he can observe the world going by from there!!!
    Just to clarify, I wash his dishes and tray after I've washed mine with his own sponge kept under the sink. He doesn't ever go on the worktops and table. Even though I always wash worktops down before I prepare food anyway. A bit of a clean freak me!!
    And he's wormed regularly

Dull day today, my niece has messaged she is going shopping later so I'll hitch a ride and get mine too.
    Mainly fresh stuff plus loo rolls and toothpaste.
    I had an offer on the made without wheat on my sparks card so got some packs of tempura chicken on 3 for ten pound less 20% 8.00 then 20% discount, 6.40 . And gf fish fingers, 3. -down to 1.90 so got 2 packs. Might have slipped blueberry muffins in

I've lifted black pepper hot smoked salmon fillet out for tea, baby potato, and carrots plus any veg I might get from shopping today. Tartare sauce may be involved.
    I will have lo tinned salmon salad sandwich for lunch. With yogurt after.

Caronc I hope your not as wobbly today, and can get around better.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 25,507 Thanks
    caronc
    Thanks wort

Good morning everyone,
    It was early to bed for me last night and I managed to get a reasonably decent sleep and definitely feel the better for it this morning.
    Cats I think can be harder to restrict than dogs, my pooches got reasonably free roam apart from bedrooms, though were always confined to the dining room/kitchen at night or if we were out. Next door's cat does sometimes join me on the bed for a snooze which we both enjoy. I know he is up to date with worming, flea treatment etc. so don't mind. The doors are always closed on the upstairs rooms so he can't visit those. I do miss not having a pet for the companionship but equally don't want to take a new one on.

It back to sunshine this morning and so it's back to pottering outside for me. I'm still going to avoid anything overly bendy but have lots I can do that won't need that.

Not much cooking planned today, usual toast for breakfast and lunch will be a salad roll. Last night's chicken made two portions plus some spare sauce. I'll use the sauce to form the basis of a pasta sauce for tonight's meal. The other portion I was going to freeze, however I am out early evening tomorrow so will be looking for something quick when I get home so might have it then. If I don't fancy it I'll freeze it at that point.
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 78,629 Thanks
    kittie
    I am back from cycling and am having coffee and a small bit of flapjack, oh my word this recipe is going sraight into my favourite hand written recipes book. No gunge, not sticky, light with a gorgeous malt/slight almond taste. I used jumbo oats and can see me breaking some up to top scrummy puddings like fruit/ice cream/cream/hm trifle

Trouble is that it will have to go straight into the freezer, very moreish
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 25,507 Thanks
    caronc
    I bet frozen flapjack would be nice on a warm day
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 78,629 Thanks
    kittie
    Ah don`t caronc, I often eat a slice of frozen cake, always start with good intentions

AnC box came and I am very happy with the juicing box which contains spring cabbage, celery, cucumber amongst other things. I could actually survive the week nicely on that as long as I buy carrots. So now my fridge is full and I have decided to do a stir fry for my omlette filling, bok choy/spring onion/ ginger/garlic. Tomorrow I will be having a kale, lentil, cranberry ragout in a GF case plus some veg stir fried, which I will need to prep tonight or I won`t bother at 6am

I am still not changed, am wearing untidy cycling gear but want to make my hemp drink first. Still fretting, a bit, about houses, still in my mind. Had a vivid dream last night, about teaching a small class in a school but making cakes with them, I slipped out to buy something and came back to see the headmaster with his back to me writing on the board. We finished the cakes. I apologised to the class for leaving them. Still didn`t see the headmaster`s face and he did not confront me. No idea what it means but a dream that was definitely vivid but calm. I was a physics/science teacher!

Drink now, then change, then read, then lunch, then read again, then spin, then read, then spin
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 16th May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 6,232 Posts
    • 29,796 Thanks
    pineapple
    . No gunge, not sticky, light with a gorgeous malt/slight almond taste. I used jumbo oats and can see me breaking some up to top scrummy puddings like fruit/ice cream/cream/hm trifle
    Originally posted by kittie
    My problem is I love sticky, gungy, claggy things.
    The Pudding Club is pineapple's idea of heaven. I saw a TV feature about it years back and it 'stuck' in the memory. Lots of scrummy and ridiculously unhealthy recipes on here too.
    http://www.puddingclub.com/
    Last edited by pineapple; 16-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 45,784 Thanks
    meg72
    [QUOTE=caronc;74291608]Thanks wort

Good morning everyone,
    It was early to bed for me last night and I managed to get a reasonably decent sleep and definitely feel the better for it this morning.
    Cats I think can be harder to restrict than dogs, my pooches got reasonably free roam apart from bedrooms, though were always confined to the dining room/kitchen at night or if we were out. Next door's cat does sometimes join me on the bed for a snooze which we both enjoy. I know he is up to date with worming, flea treatment etc. so don't mind. The doors are always closed on the upstairs rooms so he can't visit those. I do miss not having a pet for the companionship but equally don't want to take a new one on.

It back to sunshine this morning and so it's back to pottering outside for me. I'm still going to avoid anything overly bendy but have lots I can do that won't need that.

Not much cooking planned today, usual toast for breakfast and lunch will be a salad roll. Last night's chicken made two portions plus some spare sauce. I'll use the sauce to form the basis of a pasta sauce for tonight's meal. The other portion I was going to freeze, however I am out early evening tomorrow so will be looking for something quick when I get home so might have it then. If I don't fancy it I'll freeze it at that point.[/QUOTE

Grrrrrrrrrrr Cats!!!!" well next doors Cats anyway. This Woman moved n with 3 so called rescue cats. Huh she hardly ever lets them in they sleep on my porch and the smell is just horrible some days. Another neighbour told me she puts chill powder on her porch to keep them off. I told her that's extremely cruel and she hasn't spoken to me since.

Anyway I opened up the greenhouse at 7am this morning and at 10a went to pot up the Red Robin Tomato plants I had promised my DD and Brother to find a great Fat Black Tom curled up snoozing right on top of tray. All squashed, ruined and the greenhouse stinking. I let out a yell and shooed it off.

It wasn't untl I popped down to Asda and met a neighbour four doors down I realised my yell of " Get your great Fat,Hairy, smelly !!! of my plants" had been so loud. Lol a now wondering how many others wont be speaking to me
    Slimming World at target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 25,507 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

meg re you shouting like a fishwife, I've had a few of these over the years though thankfully not at next door's cat. He's a gentle soul and he really well cared for, so behaves really well indoors and in my garden. He was a rescue cat and had never been outside when the neighbours got him consequently he'll only "go" in a litter tray which suits everyone.

I had a right moment earlier as I managed to drop a large tray of busy lizzies all over my deck. What a mess! All swept up now and thankfully the plants seem mainly ok.
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th May 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6,325 Posts
    • 10,252 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon all. My pets have long since turned to dust, I never replaced my last dog, mainly due to my age it could well outlive me, and the thought of a poor old dog looking for a fresh home is not something I care to have on my mind. None slept in bedrooms, did have a cat that could & would climb up the ivy & in the bedroom window in middle of the night

Dull & cooler today, nice warming porridge, banana , yoghurt breakfast
    Made more yoghurt, getting into the routine now

Into town for mooching and some basics. Touch of luck, YS fresh salmon fillet, the right chunky size and price for once. Dinner sorted

Lunch was PB baguette, with salady bits & the pickings from the LO, surprisingly meaty, chicken carcass, maybe meatier 'cos it was free range and had to walk around a bit?

Dinner will be the YS salmon fillet, steamed in tin foil with butter, and boiled new spuds. Plus more salady stuff. I'm doing extra spuds to give me a LO option another day

Flyer through my door, a new huge Lidl is opening in town on Friday.
    Somehow it sums up the UK economy. It is built on the site where I and approx 1000 engineers worked. Now it has Lidl & McD drive through, hardly a fair job & skills swap IMO

I expect I'll use it at some stage, but can't see it having anything extra that my nearer one doesn't have, just more of it

PS, glad the busy lizzies survived the drop Caron
    Last edited by Farway; 16-05-2018 at 3:04 PM. Reason: PS added
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    Brambling
    Brambling you don't need an alarm clock then!!
    I meant my house alarm .
    Originally posted by wort

I did think it's strange having an alarm clock with a passcode. No need for a house alarm here too many of my neighbours are retired, nothing gets pass those men and they say women are nosy

Farway I used to work with someone whose cat came in the bedroom window via the porch roof, she woke up one night to a thumping noise, their cat had managed to do the climb with a young rabbit and it was hopping around the bedroom floor

Caronc it's good to see you can get busy lizzies again my local garden centre have them for the first time in several years can't remember what they said was killing them off but they stopped stocking them
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 25,507 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Yes it's lovely to see busy lizzies back
    Lots of potting on done, mainly toms that are now in bigger pots sitting on temporay staging in the greenhouse. Many more still to do but slowly but surely my conservatory is emptying.
    I'm certainly cba for cooking tonight so I'm pleased I'd planned simple pasta, I've done no house chores today so need to empty the dishwasher and sort out some laundry before I settle down with food & TV.
    Has anyone ever tried or grown "New Zealand spinach"? Apparently it grows like a vine but you eat the leaves not the fruit. The leaves need cooking but taste like spinach. My friends brought seeds back from NZ and are going to give me one of the plants they have started for my green house. Apparently they are ideal CFO fare as you can just pick what you need and won't bolt.
    Last edited by caronc; 16-05-2018 at 7:16 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th May 18, 7:33 PM
    • 16,195 Posts
    • 44,604 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'd be interested to know what New Zealand Spinach is like too - as I gather it's a prolific and easy plant to have and in fact have finally got round to opening the packet of those seeds that I've had in for a while and planted a few of them in mini-pots to start off with earlier this week. Am waiting with interest to see how long it takes before they poke their little heads above the soil.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 25,507 Thanks
    caronc
    I'd be interested to know what New Zealand Spinach is like too - as I gather it's a prolific and easy plant to have and in fact have finally got round to opening the packet of those seeds that I've had in for a while and planted a few of them in mini-pots to start off with earlier this week. Am waiting with interest to see how long it takes before they poke their little heads above the soil.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    We can share experiences once they are producing. I love spinach and green leafy veg in general so I'm hoping it does well
    GC YTD 2018- 735/1090
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,580Posts Today

8,697Users online

Martin's Twitter