Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,781Posts
    • 24,315Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Page 139
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Brambling
    LOL we are both (or were) redheads, she has my mum's temper & I'm more placid like my dad unless I get really riled (rarely), in which case everyone dives for cover. Thankfully neither of us "do" sulking.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I am was a brunette with red highlights and a temper when younger which came from 2 red head grandparents I have learnt to control it as an adult (usually) When my sister who rarely loses her temper does we all duck . I no longer remember why I hit her I just remember being really annoyed that my dad took away my cricket bat she has never let me forget it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th May 18, 3:34 AM
    • 62,476 Posts
    • 365,914 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have the 3am munchies. Been up since 3am, had a coffee... and now I think I really fancy something to eat.

Wish I'd got something exciting in, but I don't have.

I might cook pizza at 5-6am, or chips .... who knows, eh! It's that combination of what you've got in the house and what you CBA to get out/re-heat
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th May 18, 6:26 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,894 Thanks
    kittie
    cool bedding was, er, cool last night, every time I turned over and I was kind of wishing I have left the warm bedding on but realised that I had slept better in cool

Had tea and banana so far and waiting for turkey sausages to cook, will have those with baked beans and an egg. Lunch will be stir fry, I liked it yesterday and have shallot to use up, no garlic left and I have used up all my grown garlic from last year, new garlic will be ready to harvest in a few weeks. LO pinto beans (few) to eat with the stir fry and will nibble some walnuts and pistacheos after. I may well have half a tin of sardines on a slice of spelt mid morning. Just normal stuff, nothing exciting but all healthy enough

I won`t be thinking much of food, I have some hm jumpers to sort ie re-design/re-knit necklines.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

After yesterday's stormy & wet weather the sun is shining this morning and it's supposed to get to 15C temperature wise. Yesterday it barely reached double figures.....

Usual toast/fruit for breakfast and lunch will be a salad roll. Tonight I fancy baking some pollock in diced tomato & chorizo, I'll probably have that with baked baby spud and either kale or spinach.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th May 18, 1:14 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Quite likely to move again. Nice village, nice people but I still hanker for Yorkshire and could do without the rainfall here. So that is definitely a factor in choice of finance. I might even just get a loan if it means I can do certain improvements together instead of piecemeal - which can add to the expense anyway.
    Had a couple of Ginster pies for lunch. Plus the Methodist church is doing crafts and a cream tea at the village hall. There is an admission charge which includes the cream tea. I'm not a cream tea kinda gal but to get at the crafts I'm going to have to fork out - so might as well get my money's worth. It's official - Methodists make you fat!
    Not only that but it seems we have to thank them for there being no pub in the village - the Temperance bods got the last one closed down!
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-05-2018 at 1:17 PM.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Brambling
    Raining here today, I don't really mind as I'm working from home this afternoon and evening, hopefully only to 7pm but as our IT guys often over run it could be later.

Found some scampi in the freezer so had that with veg for lunch, I've taken out some chicken curry for dinner as I'm not sure when I'll finish work, I think it will need yogurt added as it was a bit when it went in the freezer

I'm going to marinate some chicken thighs later for tomorrow dinner, I use a Tom Kerridges recipe for oven baked 'fried' chicken, my nephew will appreciate the left over buttermilk for pancakes as I'm not sure what to do with it and it says it doesn't freeze and I don't want to make soda bread. Any ideas what else I can do with half a pot of buttermilk?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th May 18, 3:02 PM
    • 6,145 Posts
    • 9,717 Thanks
    Farway
    Dull & cool today, up before 7, but just slumped about drinking pot of tea, then nuked normal porridge + banana etc

Had time to go out, but so dull & chilly out decided to stay in, nothing needed TBH

Bit of poncing about working on PC, then lunch of cheese salad sarnie

Spur of moment decision, made some scones, bog standard.
    Up to, or more like down to, my usual scone standard, they are like thick soft biscuits I've tried all recipes & methods, just do not turn out like cafe, or MIL, ones. I'll eat them regardless, strawberry jam solves many problems

Dinner will be use up one of the YS cheese & onion pasties, may have some oven chips with it, or maybe just scone + jam binge post pastie
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 12th May 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Any ideas what else I can do with half a pot of buttermilk?
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Buttermilk rice pudding. Hot or cold - delicious.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Decent weather here today - always occasion for a feeling of relief to me here.

Been planting up some seeds for growing a bit more food - none of which I think I've ever eaten before. Always glad of the chance of something different I am...

Coffeebreak - and then I think I'll do some outside house maintenance.

Lunch was just puffed quinoa cereal with fruit and some toast with marmalade (healthy version - complete without sugar being me ).

Dinner will probably also be something cba - could be the roast vegetables again and I've forgotten to get some chickpeas out of the freezer again for making hummus. So - that'll mean another half tin of chickpeas getting put in the freezer. I've got rather a lot of half tins of chickpeas in there by now....

Pineapple - I can sympathise with frequent rain getting one down, if you're not used to it. I know it's depressing to people that are used to it - but I'm sure it must be even more depressing to those of us not used to it. I guess we all prefer "our norm". It's gobsmacking too, I find, just how much different communities live in their own little bubble and some bubbles are a good bit more opaque than others (ie such a low proportion of people have spent much/if any time outside said bubble that they don't really realise what life is like/how people think elsewhere). I keep being gobsmacked at coming across people who havent been that far at all actually. Back at "Home" I only ever once literally came across someone that told me he had never been outside the county.

Hope you can figure this out to your satisfaction okay. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-05-2018 at 3:21 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Brambling
    Buttermilk rice pudding. Hot or cold - delicious.
    Originally posted by pineapple

Thanks Pineapple, do you mix it with milk or just make it with buttermilk.
    • wort
    • By wort 12th May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    wort
    A nice day here, I've got some washing dried, and been in the garden till now.
    Done some weeding and pruning, had a scare when a black bird flew into my open fresh door, I thought it was dead then realised it was breathing, I'm really squeamish, and it was really upsetting, luckily it must have just been concussed, as it eventually started to move, going into the bushes, and then over the wall.
    I had a cheese and onion toastie and a pear and satsuma for lunch, tea I have just put fish fingers and a rosti potato on, I'll put it on a part baked baguette, with cheese and lettuce, some alliolli and ketchup.,
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,894 Thanks
    kittie
    Always glad of the chance of something different I am...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    now that is definitely welshie, my friends always spoke like that

I have been reading about some very interesting developments in the mortgage markets ie interest only mortgages for oldies, they are not equity release. Would make a very good lifeline for those who definitely want to stay in their homes but want/need cash. Looks as though the rate is <4% worth looking into if you want to stay where you are and need updating. There is a big difference between those and equity release, its a much better deal ie you can borrow a % and if you sell the house, they will take that % and you retain the capital that remains

Food has been fine today, plenty of veg and a couple of nice things. Main thing is that I have successfully altered 3 hm knitted tops that will be excellent to wear all through spring and as layers. Just finished and done no exercise at all, will be wanting to change that tomorrow.

I know I have a chicken lasagne rm in the freezer, it will be calling me tomorrow, maybe for first meal, eat like a king and all that
    Last edited by kittie; 12-05-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th May 18, 6:19 PM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Kittie - LOL. I pick up phrases and accents from all sorts of directions - always have....

When I had an American friend one time I apparently rapidly acquired a mid-Atlantic accent. I'm probably quite good at speaking American if I want to.

I have a neutral/modern "received pronunciation" type voice basically and, according to my mother, virtually went to primary school speaking with my own voice (ie the same as my parents) one day and it took me a matter of weeks before I started speaking in the local accent (I was local.) Cue for my mother not being very happy about that - and "steps were taken" to get my own voice back again. Hence I like my own voice and my own language and regard them as the best I could have, so I'll keep them - but pick up those phrases and temporary accents from other people.

Apparently I could soon put on a perfect local accent after moving here...if I tried.

Just call me "verbal chameleon"...

Well - afternoon was spent on house upkeep. So dinner was just total CBA of toast with nut butter, some melon and some rice milk.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-05-2018 at 6:24 PM.
    It's MY life......
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th May 18, 6:50 PM
    • 62,476 Posts
    • 365,914 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    For breakfast I had hash browns, sausages, beans, scrambled eggs, splash of the brown stuff and a black coffee... thought "that's it until tea time", but had an unexpected "bonus meal" when I was served with a hogroast (pork, stuffing, apple sauce in a big bread roll). That was welcome - I'd have never got round to buying one myself to try .... I found it "very bland" to be honest. But it was free, so hurrah to that!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,315 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Brambling - I've frozen buttermilk lots of times and it's always been fine defrosted for cooking.

It turned into a glorious day here, over 22C on my deck mid afternoon, though cooling down rapidly now. I've spent most of it in the garden and for me got quite a lot done. Also had a nice sit in the sunshine on my rocking chair with my book, a naughty ice cream cone and a cuppa.
    I'm glad I've planned an easy meal tonight as I really cba standing for ages. Forecast looks promising tomorrow so I might start tackling the weeds in the front bed. I've found a long handled hoe and old pair of very long bbq tongs ideal for avoiding too much bending. While the good weather lasts cooking will very much be taking a back seat so I'm holding off doing a meal plan for the time being. I've made a list of all the bits I need to use or freeze and will keep an eye on that so nothing gets wasted.

I think I mentioned that the beautiful begonia I had last year that had been carefully kept over the winter didn't seem to have survived, well it has and I swear the appearing shoot has doubled in size since this morning.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Brambling
    Thanks for the buttermilk tip Caronc I do like the chicken recipe but have to think what to do with the left over buttermilk other than soda bread or scones. I just have to get off the sofa to make the marinade

Worked until 8.30pm due to server issues, so I'm hoping I don't regret eating too spicy curry at 9pm I also wanted to try a no knead fruit bread recipe I found but that will need to spend 18 hours proving I'm currently feeling too tired to move the cat
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th May 18, 6:55 AM
    • 15,609 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    caronc - re your barbecue tongs for picking things up - and you might find a litterpicker even handier? They are longer-handled and can get a firmer grip of things.

I know this - because I bought a litterpicker - community litterpicking for the purposes of...as there is a HECK of a lot of litter round here (well - there was.....). I've got my suspicions by now that one could trace out an ever-increasing circle which, coincidentally, has my house as its epicentre within which there are "normal" litter levels (ie very little of it). All part of making my environment feel more "familiar" to me LOL - as I'm used to not noticing any litter in most places and very little in more countryish places (not vast amounts of litter in loads of places - as this town did to start with). But the area is getting more normal on that front bit by determined bit by a group of us...
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-05-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    It's MY life......
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 13th May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    Thanks Pineapple, do you mix it with milk or just make it with buttermilk.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I would mix it with milk but if you google buttermilk rice pudding there are plenty of suggestions.
    Up early to cook some new pots while on E7 and sausages for sandwiches. I'll be having the pots with some tinned salmon (I always wonder if tinned isn't healthier than fresh as it is generally sourced from wild as opposed to being farmed in chemicals and effluent?).
    I'll add some foraged greenery to both and maybe some of my own lettuce though it isn't properly ready yet.
    So pleased to see some drizzle this morning. It means I don't feel pressured to rush outside and start digging, painting and varnishing like a mad thing.
    Edit: Scrap that, here comes the sun...
    Wish I hadn't been up till the early hours watching re-runs of Versailles. I loved that series including the theme music - even if I do have to run and hide during the gory bits.
    Last edited by pineapple; 13-05-2018 at 8:35 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 74,894 Thanks
    kittie
    I did too much sitting yesterday, was working but only sitting stuff, so I am wanting to get out and about today, for starters my legs feel heavy and the blood needs moving

Started with rm, chicken pasta bake and enjoyed it too. Did my AnC order for next week, ordered a juicing box this time and only a few other bits, 2 pints of milk and will freeze one. Brown cow yoghurts but I only use half at a time. Put some stuff on which I deleted as it is too easy to get carried away and I want to limit what I spend

Made and drank a veg juice already and got through all the LO unbagged carrots + lemon/ginger/celery/fennel/parsley. Took 2 eggs out to get to room temperature plus a small cube of goats cheese and will make a cheese omlette with sliced tomato for lunch. Got frozen rhubarb compote and blueberries out for my last meal. I am very proud to say that I have grown and frozen enough fruit for just about the whole year through and am still using it from last year. Must have saved a fortune besides producing so much organically, even the blueberries, I now have 10 bushes and 6 are in pots at home. Wish I could grow slug resistant strawberries, I buy strawberries but my latest plants are holding flowers high up but the birds will dive in before me, I know it

Only cycling is planned for today, a longer ride but fairly flat, will add on the canal towpath. There will be more people out today, being sunday and the fishermen will be along the bank, everyone having a good time and enjoying being out
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 13th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 29,748 Thanks
    pineapple
    caronc - re your barbecue tongs for picking things up - and you might find a litterpicker even handier? They are longer-handled and can get a firmer grip of things.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Round here you are more likely to need a dog cr*p picker. That's because some locals and tourists think it is OK to leave deposits anywhere and everywhere - because it's the countryside innit.
    I'm fighting back and have even forked out for official looking notices from a certain well known shopping site. I'll be putting them up under cover of darkness though guaranteed someone will spot me and it will be all round the village in nanoseconds.
    Last edited by pineapple; 13-05-2018 at 8:36 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,178Posts Today

8,587Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin