Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,781Posts
    • 24,308Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Page 136
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 74,855 Thanks
    kittie
    its dull here, perfect for my new plantings and rain expected tomorrow night. Ok did the plantings this morning but nothing much else today, didn`t feel like cycling, just read my book. It feels cold now, I need wool around my neck so will have to change from a thin scoop neck jumper to a warmer thin polo. I think I have inertia and certainly could gobble up lots of crisps, good job I don`t live near a shop. Maybe a big mug of hot tea will satisfy my mouth

I do think we need to rest every few days, body certainly thinks so today
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,308 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Must be "salmon/new spuds" season as I'm planning on having that tomorrow.
    Farway - happy to send the wet & cool weather here to you.
    It's decidedly on the chilly side here tonight, not cold enough to have the heating on but I've added a gilet on top of my jumper!
    Wintry meal here tonight of root veg mash, sprouts, shallots, beef olive and gravy. I reckon this will be the last of this type of mash I'll make until Autumn though there will be a few portions from this batch frozen for bubble & squeak etc.
    The rain eventually stopped early evening, too late to do anything outside but at leadt I got the recycling wheelie bin out without getting soaked. It would seem the rain stopped just in time for the midges to appear in force, the first time I've noticed them this year and they are hungry wee beggars...
    I've done very little today, following kittie's advice of listening to my body which was very much in don't move too fast or much mode.
    Did get my next batch of pea & bean trays sown and a load of laundry done so not a completely wasted day.
    For reasons unknown when I did my last shop I forgot to get milk and loo roll. My sister was heading to the SM so she kindly got some bits for me including more fresh stuff. I'm beginning to wonder if shopping only every 9 & 10 days will work as well in the warmer months or at least at the moment when my garden isn't producing anything edible yet as salady veg really doesn't keep as well as winter veg. One I'll think on and see how it goes.
    Last edited by caronc; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5,020 Posts
    • 45,759 Thanks
    meg72
    Weather today was supposed to be cooler, feels even hotter to me, sun out & hot. Killjoy hoping for rain some time.

Originally posted by Farway
    Ohhhhhhhh it was you was it that ordered rain. Was having a lovely sunny stroll around Shrewsbury Charity shops with my DD when a big black cloud suddenly appeared followed by dirty great drops of rain, had to dive into the nearest watering hole which happened to be a chippy, lol gorgeous fish and chips instead of the planned healthy salad lunch. Did so enjoy it.
    Slimming World at target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 3,781 Posts
    • 24,308 Thanks
    caronc
    Can't beat fish & chips it always seems to fit as an enjoyable meal regardless of the season/weather, probably why it is such a favourite in the UK
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th May 18, 9:44 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Brambling
    Another warm, sunny day today 24c, unfortunately I was working i did get out lunch time to enjoy it. We finally have a new person started today he will need training which mean we will get busier for quite a while longer as we juggle both. A quiet young man (did that make me sound old?) his hands were shaking as he was talking to me when he arrived, darn it I definitely feel old

Lunch was salad and the last of the spinach quiche and dinner was scallops and bacon with raw baby spinach, asparagus and new potatoes. I don't remember the last time I cooked scallops I really enjoyed them it helped that they were half price on W*itrose fish counter

One of the villages I drive through on the way home has a fish and chip van Tuesday night, I always have to advert my eyes when I drive pass there's always a queue so I'm assuming they're good, but it would be just because they're handy
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 5,020 Posts
    • 45,759 Thanks
    meg72
    Oh er that's brave meg, love what you've used the drawer for
    Originally posted by caronc
    Lol What would have been really brave would have been to actually get rid of it, as it is I am thinking if I hit a really lucky time with reductions can always take the pots out and put it back. Must stay strong, must stay strong. Nooooooo really want a new fridge freezer, will make a world of difference in my ridiculously small kitchen.
    Slimming World at target
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th May 18, 10:16 PM
    • 15,602 Posts
    • 43,334 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Nooooooo really want a new fridge freezer, will make a world of difference in my ridiculously small kitchen.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Well - in that case far be it from us to stand in your way about getting one. You totally have our permission - you go gal.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • meg72
    • By meg72 8th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 5,020 Posts
    • 45,759 Thanks
    meg72
    Another warm, sunny day today 24c, unfortunately I was working i did get out lunch time to enjoy it. We finally have a new person started today he will need training which mean we will get busier for quite a while longer as we juggle both. A quiet young man (did that make me sound old?) his hands were shaking as he was talking to me when he arrived, darn it I definitely feel old

Lunch was salad and the last of the spinach quiche and dinner was scallops and bacon with raw baby spinach, asparagus and new potatoes. I don't remember the last time I cooked scallops I really enjoyed them it helped that they were half price on W*itrose fish counter

One of the villages I drive through on the way home has a fish and chip van Tuesday night, I always have to advert my eyes when I drive pass there's always a queue so I'm assuming they're good, but it would be just because they're handy
    Originally posted by Brambling
    No didn't make you seem old at all, observant and caring yes, lucky lad to be training with someone like you. We all have to learn when we go into the work situation, totally different to school or college. I would like to strangle the old dragon that bullied and traumatised my Grandson on his work experience in a charity shop for Gods sake. Two weeks of hell.
    Slimming World at target
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th May 18, 5:32 AM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 74,855 Thanks
    kittie
    A fridge/feezer meg72 is essential and a new one will be ultra efficient, don`t dither, if you can squeeze one in and can afford it, then go shopping. It is always handy as a notice board too and the taller the better and half and half

I am up at a ridiculous time again, dawn chorus is very loud this morning but I also over-ordered plug plants, which are arriving today, kept churning over where I would put all the extras, silly me

Nice jasmine tea, the 5th brewing, plus a banana and a few walnuts, while I recover from getting up to early. Could also be the pollen as my nose is feeling a bit less clear. Sky is red and not a breath of wind. Later scrambled egg and cheese on puffed rye crackers. Lunch will be a salad with fresh asparagus and tuna.

I need more potting compost, drat, means I will have to go out
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Brambling
    No didn't make you seem old at all, observant and caring yes, lucky lad to be training with someone like you. We all have to learn when we go into the work situation, totally different to school or college. I would like to strangle the old dragon that bullied and traumatised my Grandson on his work experience in a charity shop for Gods sake. Two weeks of hell.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Thanks Meg72. I know I was lucky when in my early 20s I changes jobs and went into a office for the first time the people I worked with were mainly men in their 40s and 50s mostly management level and fantastic people. They gave me the skills I have now and im not talking just how to do the job but how to deal with people and more important the confidence in my self and my abilities.

With regards to your grandsons tormentor she should of seen she had the opportunity to make his first working experience a good one not making him weary of the next time
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 74,855 Thanks
    kittie
    got another sack of jacks magic and am in my togs for potting, ok ok, yes I did stock up on ice cream, cones, lollies and ice cubes while out. It took a lot longer to get home, roadworks starting today so I followed the diversion, luckily along lanes I know. Did 2 miles and only one way to go, straight but there was a road closed sign up and workmen. At least it was clear behind me when I had to back into a drive to turn around and find another way home. Feeling sorry for the bigger vehicle drivers and the impatient

I have changed my mind over tuna, it can remein in the tin. Got a magnificent piece of frozen red snapper out, which will cook nicely in butter, which will slowly get darker and tastier. I have lots of fish left from my last order and the drawer is lower. so I can see into it.

ooh and thanks to pn, I bought one pack of dark choc ices. Got to be so self-disciplined to just eat one

How do you cook scallops? I have never in my entire life eaten one
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 62,466 Posts
    • 365,861 Thanks
    PasturesNew

How do you cook scallops? I have never in my entire life eaten one
    Originally posted by kittie
    Years ago, the only scallops I was aware of were what my mum chose at a chippy instead of chips - it was a whole slice of potato, dipped in batter and fried, sold individually usually.

For those fishy things, I've never seen one ... but on the telly the cheffy blokes usually just put them in a frying pan for 1-2 minutes, turn and cook for about a minute, then serve. Really quick/no faffing.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th May 18, 10:03 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Brambling
    [QUOTE=kittie;74263188] How do you cook scallops? I have never in my entire life eaten one /[QUOTE]

Basically what PN said (the fish not the potatoes) add oil / butter to the frying pan and once hot add the scallops they only take about a minute on each side depending on how big they are, these were lovely big ones with the coral still on. I like to cook them simply with some crispy bacon or pancetta on a bed of baby spinach leaves and a light dressing, but I don't like to pay full price for them. Like squid the trick is not to over cook them.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th May 18, 10:15 AM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 74,855 Thanks
    kittie
    do you eat the coral too? They do sound lovely, saw them on my online fish site for 44 for 6, only looking!! Oh I see that the coral are the eggs, mm I don`t think I would like the texture of that but the meat bit sounds nice.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Brambling
    do you eat the coral too? They do sound lovely, saw them on my online fish site for 44 for 6, only looking!! Oh I see that the coral are the eggs, mm I don`t think I would like the texture of that but the meat bit sounds nice.

Do you mean 44 for 6 scallops or to feed 6 people? I brought King Scallops from the Waitrose fish counter, they are usually 36 a Kilo but they were reduced down to 18 a kilo and I brought the last 4 (they were large) I think they were about 2. I prefer the bigger ones and I enjoy them as a treat. I ate the coral but again it's a matter of choice
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 74,855 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ll only be going to waitrose for them, if ever brambling

Just popping on to say that the red mullet (snapper) which was free with my last order, is a fish I will never ever buy. It was as tough as old boots, smelt like oily fish and for the first time ever, I could not eat it all. Tasted ok but more like tough tasteless meat than fish. I had to spray everywhere to get rid of the smell, open windows and eat fresh local strawberries. No wonder certain fish are so popular and others aren`t

I have re-potted all my plugs and the sky is full of rain clouds
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Brambling
    I`ll only be going to waitrose for them, if ever brambling

Just popping on to say that the red mullet (snapper) which was free with my last order, is a fish I will never ever buy. It was as tough as old boots, smelt like oily fish and for the first time ever, I could not eat it all. Tasted ok but more like tough tasteless meat than fish. I had to spray everywhere to get rid of the smell, open windows and eat fresh local strawberries. No wonder certain fish are so popular and others aren`t

I have re-potted all my plugs and the sky is full of rain clouds

That could explain why it was free! I haven't eaten red mullet for years I think I remember it being bony if brought whole but I don't remember the taste I assuming as I haven't brought it in about 20 years I didn't like it
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 6,144 Posts
    • 9,716 Thanks
    Farway
    Last night I made a trifle, sudden urge. Used the LO HM carrot cake, my free tin of mangoes & tinned custard
    Good job the mangoes were free, not to my taste at full price

Up a bit earlier than normal, I had planned a photo shoot morning and spent a bit of sleeping time thinking about it

Anyway, pot of tea & usual banana porridge breakfast before setting off. I popped into Morries on the way, must have been the magic clear out time, small YS thick sliced loaf, 6p, from 57p Ideal CFO size. Nothing else I fancied though

Nice & sunny again, so I went to see a sculpture using some of the poppies from the Tower of London display last year, in a fort near here. Good MSE stuff, free parking & entrance, can't be bad

Unfortunately with my wobbles I could no longer mooch around the gun emplacements & battlements as I used to. But I achieved my main purpose of photo shooting the poppies

Seems like minds are synchronising again, shop / van bought fish & chips this time. I had sort of intended buying fish & chips after my photo outing, but finished earlier than expected, 'cos of mobility troubles, so that plan failed, but the idea is now lodged in the brain and no doubt will be actioned soon

Lunch was cheese salady sarnies, using the 6p YS loaf, followed by a few spoonfuls of trifle

Dinner will be LO cauli cheese, and more trifle
    • wort
    • By wort 9th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 10,147 Thanks
    wort
    Tea last night after work was a large rosti potato, and some tempura chicken, with lo salsa and garlic dips.

Some fruit and nut choc and a cuppa, went to bed late, and slept badly again.

A quick tidy today, and done hair colour, I had ham salad with garlic dip on the bread instead of butter sandwich for lunch , and an identical one for tomorrow. Some lo crisp too.

I've got hot smoked salmon fillet with black pepper, with mash and carrots and green beans for tea.
    I fancy trying the steaming in foil of the salmon a la Kittie, anyone know how long to cook it???

I will have Greek yogurt with raspberries after.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th May 18, 4:39 PM
    • 62,466 Posts
    • 365,861 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... I had planned a photo shoot morning ...
    Originally posted by Farway
    I've managed and run two major photo libraries in the past, including choosing the snaps for national papers and evaluating inbound image sets for quality/commercial resaleability.

I've sold some photos in the past, but cameras are too pricey for me to ever "take it seriously" - and I have a cheap/simple android phone just for snaps ... although I can't see what's in the viewer when I'm outdoors as you can't see the screens in daylight ... so I "hope" what I'm after is in shot, then see when I get home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,308Posts Today

7,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin