Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,410Posts
    • 27,018Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
Page 120
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm "late on parade" today as a bit of a "literal" balance wobble earlier due I think to the storm coming in. Feel much steadier now thankfully.
    Today would definitely seem to be my day for less than healthy food- no breakfast so was hungry at lunch time so scoffed a bacon & tomato roll followed by the LO profiterole pudding from last night. Dinner of sausage roll, beans, mushrooms and oven chips will be ready shortly. I do prefer HM sausage rolls but the last batch I made ended up in the freezer for the best part of a year as I don't often fancy one. Tonight's are Morrison's Cumberland snack ones which are on SO just now (6 x 66g for 1). Re veggie ones, I've not had one made with sosmix but have had them made with veggie haggis and also glamorgan sausages both of which were really good.
    Already meals for the week are getting shuffled about as I didn't start the moussaka for tomorrow today and I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow so won't want to do much afterwards. I'll make it later in the week.
    I got a nice surprise in the post - "Santorini" tomato seeds from Greece from my son's gf's folks so I must get them potted tomorrow (and post the ones I'm sending them). The tomatoes and veggies seeds I planted 7-10 days ago are beginning to show signs of life so hopefully lots more will pop up over the next few days.
    I think my younger son may be following in my footsteps re loving growing things. Despite having a garden the size of a (small) stamp (he's taller than than the length of his lawn) he went off today with pots and a hanging basket he made up yesterday.
    Our duck dinner last night was excellent, too faffy for me when CFO but nice to do for a change.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    Brambling
    I too prefer veggie 'sausage' rolls I've never heard of sosmix but my sister does make some lovely cheese, potato and onion ones.

Lunch was chicken salad with lots of little bits like artichoke hearts and stuffed cherry peppers I'm still eating what I brought for Sunday lunch last of the chicken for tomorrow's lunch

Dinner was salmon, pasta and asparagus it needed a creamy element and annoyingly I only remembered I had some cream cheese I could have stirred in after I had finished it

Sorry to hear you're a little wonky donkey Caronc hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Send me down a portion of moussaka please it's the one thing I really cba to make just for me and it's been years since I've made one. Unfortunately we no longer have a Greek restaurant in town so I can't get my fix.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Send me down a portion of moussaka please it's the one thing I really cba to make just for me and it's been years since I've made one. Unfortunately we no longer have a Greek restaurant in town so I can't get my fix.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Like lasagne I've never found a way to make a small one so will lob a portion in your direction once made

ETA - a small carton of double cream whipped and then frozen in tablespoons is my "go to" if a dish needs a bit of cream
    Last edited by caronc; 16-04-2018 at 9:34 PM.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 16th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    Brambling
    Like lasagne I've never found a way to make a small one so will lob a portion in your direction once made

ETA - a small carton of double cream whipped and then frozen in tablespoons is my "go to" if a dish needs a bit of cream
    Originally posted by caronc
    For some reason I can quickly throw together a lasagne but moussaka seems to take me forever, I shall await the carrier pigeon with my portion

Thanks for the tip on freezing cream in portions, I never think of doing that and don't usually buy it because of having to finish it
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    The sun`s cme (discharge) seem to affect you very badly caronc, many people get headaches from them, A sudden discharge of the energy and radiation that we don`t want and more hitting earth from the 19-20th.Perhaps arrange to do nothing much at that time

I saw half a tin of baked beans in the fridge and have some bread, so beans on toast it is later. Will think about other meals when I sit down, I have windows to wash and some wall rendering to do this morning.
    • wort
    • By wort 17th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 10,503 Thanks
    wort
    I was just going to post that I'm not too fussed about sausage rolls, even less so when they are glutenfree! But love cheese and onion, so Brambling if you can get your sister to do gfree ones post some for me please ! Eagerly awaiting! !
    Realized I've put Friday as salad and jacket , but dgson will be here for curry so that will be postponed to Saturday. Also remembered I've half a small tin of beans open !
    Quite windy here , I know rain is forcast, I'm off to work today, I'll be having repeat of Sundays chicken peppercorn dinner when I get home just warm in micro.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I am waiting in, for a neighbours bleeping parcel, one massive and another almost massive, they will have to go (dragged) into my garage. I am quite honestly rather peeved at always being asked to do favours for people and some people take the michael, every time they go away for a few days, which is very very often, ok not always on holiday but still away. Grhhh, even down to dragging the bins out. I must be the only one who hardly ever bothers people
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    parcels supposed to be here between 9 and 10 and still not arrived, I am going out after my lunch, end of.

I was struggling with the 5 a day today, had a banana and am now baking eggs on top of carrot/swede mash, also cooking purple sprouting in a pan. Got berries and stewed apple out so will manage 6 today and it will have been hard going

so the courier just rang, an hour ok, I will be in but he knew my first name and pronounced it right and it most definitely is not the name I use except amongst friends and family. Grhhh and he was given my phone number.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6,273 Posts
    • 30,085 Thanks
    pineapple
    I am waiting in, for a neighbours bleeping parcel, one massive and another almost massive, they will have to go (dragged) into my garage. I am quite honestly rather peeved at always being asked to do favours for people and some people take the michael, every time they go away for a few days, which is very very often, ok not always on holiday but still away. Grhhh, even down to dragging the bins out. I must be the only one who hardly ever bothers people
    Originally posted by kittie
    Totally with you there. In my last house, my immediate neighbours were working and I was retired so I became Chief Parcel Receiver Most never said thank you and one even put a notice on her door 'to deliver to my address' without so much as a word
    I once came home to find a mammoth package filling the porch and blocking my way - it was a Morris Minor bonnet! (my neighbour restored them). I got paranoid at the sight of lost looking delivery men and would sometimes actually hide before the inevitable knock. My spiel if I got nabbed and if it was for someone I didn't like was 'Sorry can't help, I'm about to go away'
    Last edited by pineapple; 17-04-2018 at 1:28 PM.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 10,767 Thanks
    Farway
    Bit of a cold wind today, no breakfast as volunteering day time constraints

Hoped for lucky dip dinner in L's. not so lucky today, nothing YS except salami slices, which are the Devils' curse on food IMO

Lunch was use up one of a pack of PB baguettes, I just fancied some Spam and chutney with that. It was not as tasty I I had hoped, but did the job

Dinner is a head scratcher, I'm in use up mode, and there's a pack of Long Chawton cheese & something Wellingtons in the freezer, which I think are posh pasties really.
    Could have one of them, with frozen chips

Or rinse & repeat of Spam lunch
    Both take no time at all, decisions, decisions

Just had mystery phone call, robot message from text to voice, press this, that or the other to listen. Testes to that, selected 5, killed the lot forever & ever

I'm a parcel taker inner, but my neighbours do not take the wee wee, and they in turn are helpful, offering to take my bins in etc, which I decline, storing the offers up until I really need them
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Here's a fact ... if they're away they won't know if you are. So you can say what you like really.

Next time when asked say "I'd love to, but I'm probably going away myself then too, so it's better if I say No now rather than letting you down at the last minute"

I was struggling with the 5 a day today....
    After that it was 10/day .... but "the latest" is that you need 400 grams/day and don't worry about 5/10 different ones so long as you get the 400 grams and have different ones over time, not all on the same day/plate.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 17-04-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Apr 18, 4:08 PM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    So far today I've had two hot sausage rolls.

I think I'll buy some actual sausages in the next fortnight or so and do an assortment of sausage recipes I've intended to cook for the last 3-5 years or so and never got round to.

For tea tonight .... I've still got spuds in the 2.5Kg bag, so that seems easiest. Spud/beans/cheese.

Not hungry at the moment .... and it's still early.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    I've been well and truly shorn, a literal weight off of my mind.
    My balance is still very off so apart from that haven't done very much.
    I don't mind taking in parcels for immediate neighbours but I had to curb the local Hermes guy who thought I was good drop off point for anyone in the area.....
    Last night's sausage roll really hit the spot, I cooked two but only ate one so t'other was lunch with a banana.

Sumac roasted chicken tonight so apart from slicing an onion not much prep. I'll have it with Greek pitta, mange tout and spinach.
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 10,767 Thanks
    Farway
    Dinner turned out to be the cheese & mushroom Wellington, with Sainsbugs "steak cut" frozen chips

They were both nice, first time with the Sainsbug chips. I know they cost more than L's but i think I prefer them, but then L's always seem to be OOS these days anyway

I think I'll buy some actual sausages in the next fortnight or so and do an assortment of sausage recipes I've intended to cook for the last 3-5 years or so and never got round to.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Maybe out of you normal shop zone PN, but if you venture into W/rose their "essential" ones are nice & not gristle ridden, far better than some of the branded "Irish" ones
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    Brambling
    I was just going to post that I'm not too fussed about sausage rolls, even less so when they are glutenfree! But love cheese and onion, so Brambling if you can get your sister to do gfree ones post some for me please ! Eagerly awaiting!.
    Originally posted by wort
    Since she retired Wort she hasn't got time two of my brother's grandchildren are coeliacs so I know that not only is GF not very good in a lot of cases it's also expensive in comparison.

Went retro for lunch and made coronation chicken mixed in some cooked LO pasta and added to salad, really enjoyed it must do again when I have LO chicken. Not sure about dinner my plans for tonight changed and I didn't eat lunch until after 2pm so maybe something on toast, I have a tin of sardines so could be sardines on toast.

I don't want parcels delivered to my closest neighbours due to their age and health issues but postmen/delivery men tend to ignore my instructions and leave them there. I did have one who saw my instructions of leave between bin and wall and put the parcel in front of the front door and then moved the wheelie bin so it was in front of the parcel /door, not at all obvious
    Last edited by Brambling; 17-04-2018 at 9:24 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    I accidently discovered last year my son's (Greek) gf adored coronation chicken having discovered it when she moved to the UK, it's definitely one of those dishes that done well is gorgeous.

I'll not mention the parcel lobbed through my bathroom window many years ago when I didn't answer the door quick enough ...........
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    post vanished, grhhh

Yay yay yay, I just discovered that I ordered a chicken pie with my veg delivery today. Just at the right time because I have already been busy outside and if my paint comes this morning then I will be busy all day. Lunch is 1/2 a pie and sweet salad leaves and tomatoes. Pasta sauce is prepared for spelt pasta last meal

Now this work: I have a big expanse of smooth rendered retaining wall that has streaks on it, needs painting and I found a fantastic paint last year, did the pale salmon pink wall, you can get all sorts of colours. These walls have soil behind them so I wasn`t that hopeful but the pink is still pristine, so ivory is on its way to me. I bought screwfix roller sets at 3.99 and am prepped ready for off. Masking has been done on wood and metal, downpipe to big water butts unscrewed and moved. Cobwebs brushed, re-rendered patches done and dry. This is costing me in total 44 and I am saving a good 200. I enjoyed doing the 2 coats of pink and am expecting to see the same miraculous result. I have safe ladders btw, would never be unsafe

sunscreen on, coffee being drunk and I am excited, weather is perfect
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Maybe out of you normal shop zone PN, but if you venture into W/rose their "essential" ones are nice & not gristle ridden, far better than some of the branded "Irish" ones
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yes. I've never been a shopper there - until I moved to this area the nearest one was 50 miles from my house. There is one now about 1 mile away, but you have to pay 2 for parking. You can get it refunded at the till if you remember to ask and if you've spent more than X. As I'd be in there to "see if they have anything", I can't guarantee how much, if anything, I'd spend, so I don't go in there. I could park/walk 1/8th of a mile, but on the basis I am not in there for anything specific it's simply not going to happen
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    when I didn't answer the door quick enough ...........
    Originally posted by caronc
    One very bizarre human behaviour I've encountered is when a random person knocks on your door for their own purposes and it takes you ages to answer the door and they're walking away, so you chase them to find out what it's about and they launch into some kind of "verbal attack" about how long you took to answer your own door!

Bl00dy annoying that is .... there are many valid reasons why I can't answer the door immediately - and I am not about to install a commode and portable shower alongside the door "just in case somebody knocks"
    • wort
    • By wort 18th Apr 18, 10:32 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 10,503 Thanks
    wort
    Morning all, I've just had spicy chicken and cheese toastie, as I'm going to garden centre in an hour, don't know what time I'll be back. I also left the cheese spread I normally have on toast for breakfast I the fridge at work, such was my hurry to get out !!
    It's yoga night and as I'll be eating early , I think I'm changing what to have from salmon fillet to jacket potato, what goes with it wi.l depend on the weather and how hungry I'm later!!
    I feel chilly at the moment, but the air outside when I brought the cat in was warm, though rather windy.
    Next door neighbour is cutting our shared front lawn, and I know the back needs doing but it's wetter than front so will post bone , till Friday as it's supposed to be warm and dry.
    No problems here usually with parcels, though years ago an amazon delivery was thrown over my gate. It was a video recorder!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

422Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter