Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,220Posts
    • 26,242Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
Page 119
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,493 Thanks
    Farway
    Back from mooching, dinner sorted, YS fresh, head & tail on, cook in bag mackerel, plus YS yummy W/rose pork pie

Lunch was half the pie, with piccalilli, I had this in my warm conservatory, watching a wren collecting moss from one of my walls. They are nest building under the eaves. Love them, they work very hard every year eating my garden bugs

Now raining so not putting anything out to harden off today

Dinner will be the mackerel, I think with boiled new spuds and perhaps salad if I CBA with the salad part now it's raining and really not salad weather

I will say the YS smoked salmon was Hestons lapsang Souchong smoked from Waitrose and I realised why they had so much at half price not my cup of tea! .
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Ha HA, I saw what you did there

PS, now fancying scones ever since I downloaded the misers cook book yesterday
    Last edited by Farway; 15-04-2018 at 2:15 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I will spread my "bad habits" .... but there'll be happy little faces following the route

I had two hot sausage rolls for lunch. They aren't as good as the identical pack in the rival supermarket, but at least I've confirmed it now by having this 2nd pack from that shop.

I had 3 squares of chocolate a bit later on .... that's the whole bar gone now.

It's been raining here all day. I woke up at 5am, but then fell asleep again at about 6ish until 8.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-04-2018 at 2:26 PM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 16,894 Posts
    • 42,645 Thanks
    elsien
    Having decided to be organised and cook/freeze some frittata for packed lunches, so far I've dropped the eggs (happy Gitdog) and set fire to a baking tray. Think I might just give up and go back to bed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....set fire to a baking tray....
    Originally posted by elsien
    That takes extra talent! How on earth did you manage that?

I went for an easy option. I'd bought spuds the other week (14p for 2.5Kg!), so went with the "baked spuds, cheese, beans" option again
    • meg72
    • By meg72 15th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    Horrible weather today, cold wet and windy, so disappointed really wanted to crack on with garden. So spent time sorting my wardrobe instead. Found a few items for charity shop that missed the last cull.

Have been good and stuck to meal plan but must fess up to drooling over sausage rolls after reading other posts and really struggled not to make a quick dash to grab a pack. The rain helped lol.

B Banana Berries and yoghurt
    L Prawn mayonnaise salad
    D Roast chicken with carrots,cauli,parsnips and cabbage.
    S Cheese ryvitas and grapes.
    Slimming World at target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 26,242 Thanks
    caronc
    Having decided to be organised and cook/freeze some frittata for packed lunches, so far I've dropped the eggs (happy Gitdog) and set fire to a baking tray. Think I might just give up and go back to bed.
    sounds as though heading back under the duvet is a good idea, at least you have a happy pooch though
    Horrible weather today, cold wet and windy, so disappointed really wanted to crack on with garden. So spent time sorting my wardrobe instead. Found a few items for charity shop that missed the last cull.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Same apart from it's quite mild but wow the rain has been torrential.

The sausage rolls are still intact mainly because I don't want to spoil my appetite for my dinner- duck breasts, garlic mash, mangetout, green beans and a duck/red wine "jus", for afters my son has treated us to a profiterole dessert. I'm not a huge pudding eater but have a weak spot for profiteroles.

I think I have my meal plan for the week sorted out:-

• Sausage roll, beans, oven chips,tomato and mushrooms (with a splosh of HP)
    • HM Moussaka
    • My Dad is coming for lunch - bacon chops, colcannon, glazed carrots and parsley sauce
    • Sumac baked chicken & onions with greek pitta and spinach
    • Spaghetti and clams
    • Slow cooked honey,garlic,ginger & soy pork ribs with rice and stir fried veg
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,945 Thanks
    kittie
    ah scones, so quick to make. I mix with a knife, plop on the worktop lightly squish and cut with a knife. They are often rectangular triangles. I love scones and they are nice with grated cheese added, or with jam and cream or just butter

I am already thinking about food tomorrow, I know I have to have swede and carrot mash with an egg in the middle at some stage but I have two sausage rolls to brighten my morning towards lunchtime or maybe all in the same oven, sausage rolls and the carrot mash, yes, makes more sense. I will have the egg poached with purple sprouting brocolli and roasted parsnips.

Doorbell just rang, I am not expecting anyone so won`t be answering. It is always to do a favour or to buy a ticket and I am tired of doing favours
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Brambling
    I have a confession to make i don't really like sausage rolls unless they're homemade and then I'm really fussy do I need to leave now

You're more organised than me Caronc and very tasty it looks to. I've done a quick check of veg drawer and freezer just need to pull something together or it will be too many cba days. Salmon and ....... for dinner tomorrow night just need to put my thinking cap on. I probably should have done the planning before the shopping I'm trying not to buy meat or fish this week just use what's already in the house.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 16,894 Posts
    • 42,645 Thanks
    elsien
    That takes extra talent! How on earth did you manage that?
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I was somewhat taken aback myself. Today I have learned that when you accidentally leave a baking tray under a hot grill, the silicon handles burst into flames. It doesn't smell of burning so only becomes obvious when bits of ash start floating around in the air before settling gently into your cuppa. Or frittata. Or both.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 15th Apr 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Evening all.

Elsien - sorry to hear about the fire

Well courtesy of work I am in a hotel for a few nights this week so I will be eating as much as possible

May even take an early peak at the menu I must remember to leave room for puddings

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 18, 6:22 AM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... a baking tray under a hot grill, the silicon handles ....
    Many TV chefs use frying pans on the hob, which they then put in the oven - and I always think "they never point out that you can't do that with ALL pans". As they're using expensive equipment they completely forget that some people are using £1-5 pans and dishes etc from supermarkets, markets and £land ... that you can't do that with.

I bet many a plastic pan handle's been melted by people following such a recipe.

Silicone also doesn't often point out "oven/yes, grill/no" - and where it does state it, it'll usually point out it's good for 200-230°C... but in tiny writing on the packaging only.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 16-04-2018 at 7:14 AM.
    • wort
    • By wort 16th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 10,328 Thanks
    wort
    Oo didn't know that about silicon, quite scary if you're not on hand to see the ash then!!
    The roast chicken dinner was with peppercorn sauce, there was enough of everything to have as a ready meal on Tuesday when I've been working.
    Afters was pear and kiwi with baobab and vanilla yogurt.
    Today dgson is coming back after school, so we are having gf tempura chicken pieces, possibly with chips and sweet chilli dipping sauce.
    I ate the last scone yesterday so now I've got spare cream left again!! I will lift a gf blueberry muffin out.

So that's Monday and Tues sorted. Weds will probably be salmon, Thursday pizza, and Friday with the hopeful heatwave jacket potato with egg and salad and tinned salmon.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 18, 12:05 PM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just had a late breakfast/early lunch of half a bread roll, toasted, topped with some beans and cheese
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,945 Thanks
    kittie
    ooh elsien you were lucky and haven`t we all learnt. I cannot use the grill with the oven door open, fortunately I don`t have silicone anything but its a scary scenario. Just shows how a short circuit in fridge electrics can overheat the plastic back and cause a fire, so many things to be careful of

Lovely mouth satisfying lunch soon, 2 hm sausage rolls, swede and carrot mash, baked tomatoes and purple sprouting. Well needed after trying to get my own money out of the bank and having a cycle ride to get it out my system
    • meg72
    • By meg72 16th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    I poached two eggs for brekkie this morning but got an unexpected visitor before I cold eat them, so two very unappetising looking cold poached egg which I didn't fancy so popped them in the fridge.

Come lunchtime I went to the fridge for my boiled ham salad, two forlorn looking poached eggs needed rescuing so chopped them up and covered in mayonnaise. Very pleased with result, wont bother fiddling with peeling hard boiled eggs again as this was so much easier and tasted just the same.
    Slimming World at target
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,493 Thanks
    Farway
    Just reading through, seems couple of mishaps in CFO land, at least all turned out without harm

Bit dull earlier today, but at least rain has stopped

Pot of tea with overnight soaked porridge, I'm getting to like the overnight soaking method, with HM yoghurt, honey & sliced banana

Into mooch mode around town, greengrocer had some lovely cauli's for 70p, bought one "on spec" with images of brown & bubbling cauli cheese for dinner.

Lunch was the last of the YS pork pie & piccalilli, scoffed in sun warmed 70F conservatory. Wren is still busy nest making

Warmed up outside, plants, including the runners, are out hardening off & getting used to the fresh air

Just laundry to sort out, with the forecast I may postpone wash until Wednesday and get it out on the line in the sunshine

Dinner, could be cauli cheese, or could be freezer rummage
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 18, 3:45 PM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I fancy popping out for sausage rolls ... if I'm going to be entirely honest.

• Willow92
    • By Willow92 16th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 13,093 Thanks
    Willow92
    I'd quite like a sausage roll myself too...
    Savings £5,848 £/7,000
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 10,493 Thanks
    Farway
    Dinner was cauli cheese as forecast, and it turned out as hoped for, all brown & bubbling. A successful kitchen operation, and not a burnt pan, smoke or flames in sight

I just had it on it's own because it looked, and was, very filling, with plenty left for another meal

I have a confession to make i don't really like sausage rolls unless they're homemade and then I'm really fussy do I need to leave now
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I fit into the same category, I try shop ones, they're OK but not really my taste, too peppery mostly.

And can I add a heresy? I prefer veggie ones made with sosmix? http://sosmix.com/
    Not that I make them, but my veggie rellies do and they are far better IMO than shop meatish ones
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 63,605 Posts
    • 372,466 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You all know I went .... scoffed two
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,730Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin