Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,207Posts
    • 26,192Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 69/140
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Page 118
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 63,573 Posts
    • 372,313 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I sliced up the bread rolls I bought yesterday and stuck them in the freezer (they are dated today).... breakfast was half a bread roll topped with 2 scrambled eggs and 1/3 tin of beans, splash of HP and a coffee.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Apr 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had a toasted roll with marmite and a cup of tea.

I'm going to make a pizza later as I have a GF base and some Quorn smoky bacon strips and some vegan mozzarella. Yummy!
    2018: Simplify your life
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 26,192 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Glad you got your sausage roll stash replenished PN, I really must buy or make some as all the sausage roll talk is making me want one. I might see if my son when he arrives fancies popping to Greggs.

Not much to report here, my face is a lot less swollen but still very sore and I'm feeling grotty from all the meds. I don't think I'll be doing much today, though if it stays dry I might get a potter outside later.

We are having the salmon planned for last night tonight so an easy meal to put together.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 6,390 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    Farway
    'Morning all. Misty start but sun's out now. But I'm stuck in, waiting on the postie with I hope my packet. It would be a nice day to be out & about

Happy morning, scales are going down at last, upset tums have silver linings

Breakfast was overnight soaked porridge, bit of planning ahead there, with sliced banana, HM thick yoghurt & honey

Lunch, likely to be cheese salady sarnie

A fridge with sausage rolls in it is a happy fridge
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    As is a belly

Thanks for Victorian link, new site to me, I'll browse later. My rellies workhouse experience was from opposite ends. One lot inside, the other was the Chaplain. Different workhouses and Counties BTW

The sunshine is calling me to get out & pot on the last of the tomatoes this afternoon, these ones are wall basket ones, saved my own seed in 2013 and still viable, some you win etc
    • Elona
    • By Elona 14th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    Elona
    I had porridge for breakfast and need to go visit a dd in hospital this afternoon so actifried a pork chop and had it with some veg chilli beans. Need to go catch a bus soon so hung washing outside, loaded dishwasher and have more washing whirring in the machine.

Tonight will probably be a ready meal from the freezer unless inspiration strikes or I do a quck shop while I am out. Low fat sausages are defrosting in the fridge in case dd and sil pop in tomorrow for a late breakfast.

Pastures

I am firmly convinced that even if a planned menu was positively angelic someone , somewhere would stick their beak in and find fault. I agree with your philosophy that unless they plan to do the buying, prep and cooking for you then it is none of their business.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 63,573 Posts
    • 372,313 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Pastures

I am firmly convinced that even if a planned menu was positively angelic someone , somewhere would stick their beak in and find fault. I agree with your philosophy that unless they plan to do the buying, prep and cooking for you then it is none of their business.
    Originally posted by Elona
    It's endless.
    Eat eggs; no don't.
    Stay away from lard; no it's fine.
    Palm oil.
    Eat fish; no it's got plastic in it.
    Go veggie; no, go vegan.
    Food miles, local produce.
    Fly in exotic ingredients for a recipe online/on the telly. Aren't you killing rain forests?

Endless.... so many drums people are banging

I must be doing something right because 1] I'm still alive 2] I weigh about 8 stone.

I mowed the grass, first cut of the year. I wasn't overly bothered about the finer detail, I just concentrated on "look at that mess, get about 90% of the worst of it done.... you can do the rest the next time you have a go". I hate doing it. Took the clippings down the tip (65/year here for a bin and I only go 4-5x a year).

Two hot sausage rolls for lunch
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 12,739 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The pizza was lovely. Now I'm sitting in the garden in the sun with a book.

I did walk to the shop as I fancied making roasted cauliflower and they didn't have any. I couldn't be bothered to walk up to another shop so I just went back home.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 63,573 Posts
    • 372,313 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The pizza was lovely. Now I'm sitting in the garden in the sun with a book.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    It's not that good here. Sun's out, but it's a bit nippy. My indoor thermometer's showing 60C. As a rule, my garden's a bit too breezy to sit in.... and I don't read. Everything I need/want is indoors here... coffee, table to put it on, PC, telly, phone, comfy sofa/cushions. I can't see myself getting a chair out and sitting out there.... as there's nothing to do I also might get pooped on by seagulls.... the patio's dotted with it!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 6,390 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    Farway
    Lovely day, I could sit in garden but don't. So nice & sunny the greenfly have arrived on my dahlias

Toms potted on, I think if the weather holds next week I'll have to follow PN example & attack the grass, once I've scooped the cat poo off

I did walk to the shop as I fancied making roasted cauliflower and they didn't have any. I couldn't be bothered to walk up to another shop so I just went back home.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Sounds like my style of shopping, plenty of CBA, if not on the shelf I'll not bother

Dinner
    Could be Healthy oily mackerel, with new spuds & salad
    Will be, tin of sausages & beans on toast

My package arrived too late for me to bother going out, I'll make the effort tomorrow if not pouring
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,943 Thanks
    kittie
    well I have been a lucky booger with the weather today, the work on the allotment was done in not too hot temperature, assembling a stucture for my few beans and oiling and sharpening all my tools, then sweeping my shed and don`t it all look tidy!!

Had my tasty stir fry, blackcurrant tart and chocolate, put my, was dirty now washed, gardening clothes out to dry. Put beans to soak for planting and prepared root trainers for 5 beans, 2 more than I need. Sown mini cucs, 2 courgettes and two squash. Then by golly it was hot, so garden zero gravity chair lifted out the shed for the summer season. Sun screen on face, GnT in hand and a very nice relax. Put the solar bird bath out, good job I was tidy when I put it away, knew exactly where it was. That was it, now watch the summer next week be a short one

I have got to have make those sausage rolls tomorrow, mouth is watering for them. I`ll just have stir fry veg for starters, got to keep on with the veg, more coming next week. I have excess of carrots, will have to make carrot juice and watch me turn orange

Yes I agree with the posts above, we all eat what we can as best we can and within means and most of us have better things to do than stand and cook, we have enough to do just living on a solo level
    Last edited by kittie; 14-04-2018 at 4:18 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 26,192 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone,

Completely agree that food choices seem to be a very complex area these days. Personally I'm fed up with all the preaching from so-called "experts" flogging their latest manta/book/supplements and as with most things in life happy to do what suits me....

Early promise of sunshine didn't last though it's perk up a bit again now. However, I have slept loads today so wouldn't have got any gardening done anyway. Thankfully the sleeping seems to have banished a good bit of the grottiness just need to refind my oomph and my balance now.

My son didn't get here until an hour or so ago as stopped en route to visit his Dad so no sausage roll for lunch. I had pate & tomato on toast instead. The lovely lad has already built my garden trolley, blast hosed my bird feeders and has now popped to Wilkinsons with a list. He's also volunteered to cook tonight which will be lovely.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    Brambling
    Lovely sunny day here. Morning spent in hairdressers and a nice walk this afternoon only 8km today although I think we both regret the decision to walk across the fields, just a little muddy jeans in wash and walking shoes left on doorstep to dry, it was nice to be walking in a tee shirt lets hope it last. Although the advantage of rain is I can avoid mowing the lawn, unfortunately now they are in their 20s and working either of my nephews will mow it for 5

YS smoked salmon made into a sandwich for lunch and it will be venison steak with salad for dinner I may make a chimichurri sauce for the steak just debating whether I want to cook some new potatoes to go with it.

I'm a strong believer in live and let live with diet choices I eat what makes me feel good, I know I benefit from eating healthier and too much bread / wheat upsets me (I still eat it and then complain about it!) I also have no will power so I'm easily led astray with 'naughties'. I ignore the articles which tell me what's bad to eat and just read the ones which tell me a glass of red wine is good for my heart so is dark chocolate
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    Absolutely gorgeous sunny day here today. Got a lot done in the garden Beans, tomatoes,peppers,chillis all sown Living Salad fro Asda separated and potted up and sprinkled a few raddish seeds in between. Strawberry runners potted up, rhubarb and raspberries given a feed.

Also, having decided I need to get back on Slimming World Plan, have shopped and meal planned for next two weeks. So day 1 was

B Banana, berries and yoghurt.
    L Mushroom omelette with grilled tomato.
    D Mixed grill of sausage,bacon,tomato,mushrooms and toast
    S Cheese and ryevita, grapes and satsuma.
    Slimming World at target
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 6,390 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    Farway
    'Morning folks

Fed up trying to get back to sleep, so I got up at 6. Bit dull out there but shop mooching will be done today, I need milk and "summat" for dinner

Because up early, made some yoghurt, now stewing maturing in it's heater thingy

Pot of tea, with overnight soaked bowl of porridge, plus sliced banana, honey & Greekish yoghurt

YS smoked salmon made into a sandwich for lunch and it will be venison steak with salad for dinner I may make a chimichurri sauce for the steak just debating whether I want to cook some new potatoes to go with it.
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Living well there, shows the variety of CFO, my dinner was tin of sausage & beans on toast.
    Both options are OK IMO and reflect CFO, you choose what & when to eat
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,943 Thanks
    kittie
    yay, sausage rolls will be made today, yummy. Preceded by a bowl of (dutiful) stir fried veg. Porridge and hemp seeds first thing and a slice of my toast with half a tin of those very nice costco sardines.

Berries and apple are defrosting to have with cacao nibs and yoghurt. I feel like going out to buy ice cream and sweets, arghh that blasted sweet tooth of mine. I will do my utmost to resist, anyway it is a round trip too far and then I would feel guilty at scoffing anyway

So the least I can do is sharpen some more tools, then listen to the archers
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 15th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    Brambling
    '
    Living well there, shows the variety of CFO, my dinner was tin of sausage & beans on toast.
    Both options are OK IMO and reflect CFO, you choose what & when to eat
    Originally posted by Farway
    Because I'm worth it it made up for the cba bowl of cereal for Friday's dinner

I will say the YS smoked salmon was Hestons lapsang Souchong smoked from Waitrose and I realised why they had so much at half price not my cup of tea! So I will turn the rest into pate with some cream cheese and loads of black pepper for lunch. Chicken salad for dinner. A friend was coming for lunch today and requested salad and now can't make it so I'm working my way though the salad.
    • wort
    • By wort 15th Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 10,317 Thanks
    wort
    Yesterday was up way too early for a Saturday off work , read my watch wrong! Dd2 picked up dgson at 9.30 so I went into front garden and cleared weeds from the path.
    I had the last of the hm leek and potato soup for lunch, then went to dd2 s whilst they were out to look at her back garden.
    She doesn't know what's flowers and what's weeds, unfortunately it looks like couch grass in her beds (it's rented property) and I only had hand tools with me, I think it will need digging over to get it all out so I cleared a bit then did the patio, the sun had come out and I didn't have a t shirt on! I had a long sleeve thermal top on!!
    I nipped from there to see sil as she lives in same street, and got back in time to have tea before the grand national.
    FINALLY had fish fingers chips and beans! well worth the wait.
    Jam and cream scone and cup of tea in the conservatory lovely and warm in there, was just starting to doze when luckily my sister turned up.
    I had good sleep for once, and today is dry but not sunny, as yet anyway.
    Dgson will be back later, so I'm having gf poppy seed bread with ham salad for lunch and roast chicken for dinner, I've got carrots and cauli and swede , but feel like something else, so not decided yet.
    I've got some rubeckia seeds to go in , and sis brought me a cutting of anemone, to go in today too.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 26,192 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Lots of lovely sounding food in CFO land being made/eaten this weekend. Venison and fishfingers are both things I'm very fond of but not had for ages, I've both in the freezer so no excuse not to really.

Ages ago I sous vided then froze a couple of duck breasts so they popped in the fridge last night for dinner tonight. I'm not sure what we are having with them yet though I think my son is planning to pop to the Chinese supermarket if he goes to Glasgow so possibly that might inspire us.

Seems as though all the CFO gardeners are much further ahead with their growing than me. I really do need to get cracking on with this but weather and health seem to be conspiring against me so far! I must get some more seeds started they are definitely not going to produce anything while still in the packet.

I'm going to need some more milk if I want to put off my next grocery delivery until later this week. I don't think I actually "need" anything else but I think I'll be asking my son to get some sausages rolls as I've still got a notion for these
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,943 Thanks
    kittie
    one of those mornings and my food kept on calling to me, so I have eaten lunch early, really it was those sausage rolls that were calling. I made 4 and ate two, when one would have done, yikes. I also ate lots of stir fried veg and now feel satisfied, something which porridge just does not do. I am cooling the other 2 and they will be in the fridge very soon, for tomorrow

I used some carrots and swede and did mashed carrot and swede, with butter and nutmeg. They only take 4 minutes in the pressure cooker and I will divide into enamel dishes for tonight and for the fridge and freezer. All I will do is pop an egg in a dip and then bake, all I will need for my last meal and I like egg with carrot and swede

Thats it for food for today, just the berry/apple/yoghurt bowl left. Got to find something to do as it is dull out and threatens rain, got enough knitted items to last a lifetime, so no knitting. Nothing on tv but I have a stack of dvds from years ago, used to get the newpaper just for the dvds, no boxes and all in slots in files. Maybe watch `how green was my valley` or `roots` or tenko or gone with the wind or something else like middlemarch
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 26,192 Thanks
    caronc
    I have joined the "sausage roll" club

That's dinner tomorrow sorted!

Milk supplies also are topped up and a rack of pork ribs bought for future meals
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

6,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin