Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,238Posts
    • 26,313Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - May 96/120, Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 69/140
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
Page 117
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    I just double checked the sausage roll situation. I've got a detailed spreadsheet of everything I buy/spend.

It shows I've bought a 6-pack on 13 occasions and recently bought a 10-pack of snack sizes (which I'll count as a 6-pack).

So, 14 6-packs. That's 84.

There have been 31+28+31+12 days so far this year = 102 days.

I eat 2 each time, so on 42 occasions in 102 days I have eaten sausage rolls. 102 days gives "2 eating opportunities per day", so 204 opportunities to call that a meal. 42 occasions from 204 opportunities = 1 in 5 meals have been 2 sausage rolls

It's really not that bad .... as they are "meals" and not "additional food/snacks in addition to meals". If I called it sausagemeat slice it'd not sound so bad. It'd be bad if I'd just eaten those as a mid morning snack every week day.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Love the precision PN, if you count breakfast as a meal opportunity it reduces the sausage roll eating frequency even further
    Caronc a bottle of wine is 3 large glasses , so I count in large glasses !!! Sounds better
    Originally posted by wort
    Old habits wort, I used to work in a pub so always count them as a standard glass

It's tipping it down here and the bottom of my garden has flooded, I'll need to splash my way to the bin later...
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    I didn't realise my previous post had submitted!
    My Dad arrived unexpectedly, rather damp around the edges despite his wet weather gear. He was heading Morrison's to get fish for his dinner and thought he'd pop by, I suspect he was wanting a look at my "hamster" face
    Said face is really quite sore and swollen this morning but thankfully doesn't seem to have spread. The anti viral tablets though are making me feel very dehydrated so have been drinking water and weak tea like it's going out of fashion.
    I'm not CFO tonight as my son is coming up, I'm making us cajun spiced salmon with baby roasted spuds and either pepper stew or salad. Lunch will be the last 2 mini pork pies with salad. I might make some more soup to have with it if I CBA.
    Last edited by caronc; 13-04-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 16,411 Posts
    • 45,435 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You don't like fruit teas or herbal teas then caron?

Can sympathise re the herbal teas - definitely not a fan of them myself...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm not a huge fan of them tbh MTSTM don't mind the odd lemon & ginger one if I have a dicky tum but that's about it.
    I like chai tea though so getting through a load of that today

CBAness has definitely taken over so no soup made, I think there is a tub in the freezer so will check and have that if there is.
    Did give the bathroom a scrub though so not a completely wasted morning.
    This afternoon I think bed, book and some more painkillers is the plan, otherwise I'm likely to be snoozing by the time my son arrives
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,951 Thanks
    kittie
    you have been driving yourself too hard caronc, you sound run down. These things don`t take hold unless you are poorly. Time for you to have some time off for yourself, no work, no cooking, sitting with feet up and let the body heal

I love herb teas but I only make my own, dried herbs and pouches. Thyme is a good one to take to zap infections
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Apr 18, 2:30 PM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 10,517 Thanks
    Farway
    'afternoon all

Not much to report, dull day but at least the mizzle has gone

Nil breakfast

Absolutely bu66er all inspiration in L's this morning, even the YS shelf was empty, except for flavoured yoghurts which are of no use to me

back for lunch, used up the last of the defrosted crumpets, followed whoever it was on here example and had them toasted with melted cheese on top. I can recommend this CFO quickie, ticks all boxes

Dinner, I'm thinking along lines of the LO salmon flaked into an omelette, nice and easy

I think I'm going to have to sow a few more beans, one lot, 2009 seed, have rotted, not unexpected. I've plenty of others available so not a problem. With warmer weather due next week I'll soon start hardening of some things, like the dahlias
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Post-Xmas I randomly bought a couple of dinky Xmas puds that were reduced. They're really tiny ones, if I were a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to sell those as it's a smaller portion than a 1900 Workhouse Xmas Pud portion! It's probably a heaped tablespoon in size. Wrapping says 100g.

Just nuked one. Not a fan of Xmas pud, but I'm a fan of "I'll give that a go as it's so cheap" followed by "I'll nuke that as it's instant food".

CBA to make a dab of custard with it ... so just ate it with a teaspoon from the factory pot.

Earlier today, lunch was cheesy chips and beans
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    you have been driving yourself too hard caronc, you sound run down. These things don`t take hold unless you are poorly. Time for you to have some time off for yourself, no work, no cooking, sitting with feet up and let the body heal

I love herb teas but I only make my own, dried herbs and pouches. Thyme is a good one to take to zap infections
    Originally posted by kittie
    My batteries are certainly a bit flat at the moment but hopefully the better weather forecast for next week will be the tonic needed
    'afternoon all

With warmer weather due next week I'll soon start hardening of some things, like the dahlias
    Originally posted by Farway
    You're garden is so much further ahead than mine, I'm jealous.

I headed to bed this afternoon and had a decent snooze for a couple of hours. My face is now much less swollen so looks as though the meds have kicked in.

Apart from chopping some peppers & onions dinner tonight will more or less take care of itself. My son will text when he's about an hour away so I can work out when we'll eat.
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    I've been stood up
    My son is just off the phone, he's still at work and not sure when he'll get finished so is going to wait and come home tomorrow morning. I'm glad he's doing this as I hate him driving in the dark when he's shattered especially when the weather isn't great. Tonight's salmon etc. will now be tomorrow's dinner.
    I'm not sure what I'll have now, something quick from the freezer I think
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • meg72
    • By meg72 13th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    Post-Xmas I randomly bought a couple of dinky Xmas puds that were reduced. They're really tiny ones, if I were a manufacturer I'd be embarrassed to sell those as it's a smaller portion than a 1900 Workhouse Xmas Pud portion! It's probably a heaped tablespoon in size. Wrapping says 100g.

Just nuked one. Not a fan of Xmas pud, but I'm a fan of "I'll give that a go as it's so cheap" followed by "I'll nuke that as it's instant food".

CBA to make a dab of custard with it ... so just ate it with a teaspoon from the factory pot.

Earlier today, lunch was cheesy chips and beans
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Love the descript ion but think the poor folk in the workhouse would have been grateful for a just a taste I had a look at this, oh my, makes me ashamed to think how often I have a scrabble through the overloaded freezer and cant find anything I really fancy or can be bothered to cook

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/poorlaw/dietwh.html
    Slimming World at target
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Love the descript ion but think the poor folk in the workhouse would have been grateful for a just a taste I had a look at this, oh my, makes me ashamed to think how often I have a scrabble through the overloaded freezer and cant find anything I really fancy or can be bothered to cook

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/poorlaw/dietwh.html
    Originally posted by meg72
    I think there's a lot of over-emotional bull put round about workhouses.... it will depend on the individuals running it and the general location and area. Where my lot lived/died the workhouse seemed quite a "good place" to find yourself. And many had special Christmas dinners and treats. Most seemed to have meat and plum pudding.

Many people in the Workhouse were funded by relatives. e.g. if your mum was in there and you were, say, a lad of 18+ and working, they'd expect you to pay for your mum's keep. So, in the main, a lot of people were self-funded, and a lot of Workhouse managers were good people.

A random entry plucked purely at random, for Derby in 1905 says "The inmates of the Workhouse had their usual dinner on Christmas Day, comprising beef, pork, rabbits, plum pudding, and most of them beer tea and they had plum cake. The smokers were given pipes, tobacco and oranges. The women had tea....."

Or, similarly, Newcastle in 1862
    "The inmates of the Alnwick Union Workhouse were regaled with roast beef and plum pudding, New Years day, at the expense of a few of the guardians and tradesmen of Alnwick, through the exertions of Mr Young, the master"
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-04-2018 at 7:17 PM.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 13th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    gt568
    Just smashed a sh1tload of chciken wings. Delicious.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 13th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 45,826 Thanks
    meg72
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;74158169]I think there's a lot of over-emotional bull put round about workhouses.... it will depend on the individuals running it and the general location and area. Where my lot lived/died the workhouse seemed quite a "good place" to find yourself. And many had special Christmas dinners and treats. Most seemed to have meat and plum pudding.

Many people in the Workhouse were funded by relatives. e.g. if your mum was in there and you were, say, a lad of 18+ and working, they'd expect you to pay for your mum's keep. So, in the main, a lot of people were self-funded, and a lot of Workhouse managers were good people.

A random entry plucked purely at random, for Derby in 1905 says "The inmates of the Workhouse had their usual dinner on Christmas Day, comprising beef, pork, rabbits, plum pudding, and most of them beer tea and they had plum cake. The smokers were given pipes, tobacco and oranges. The women had tea....."

Or, similarly, Newcastle in 1862
    "The inmates of the Alnwick Union Workhouse were regaled with roast beef and plum pudding, New Years day, at the expense of a few of the guardians and tradesmen of Alnwick, through the exertions of Mr Young, the master"[/QUOTE

As you say depends on area, my lot lived and died in the inner city of Birmingham, the workhouse was not a good place to be. It was to be dreaded, if you had any relatives or friends that could fund you they would not have let you go in, bless if it had been a good place to be they would have been clamouring to get in themselves.
    Slimming World at target
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,313 Thanks
    caronc
    A "postcode lottery" on services seems to be far from a new thing...

Dinner ended up being a quick spinach & ricotta stuffed pasta from the freezer with kale, garlic, peas and mozzarella
    GC YTD 2018- 998/1230
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew

As you say depends on area, my lot lived and died in the inner city of Birmingham, the workhouse was not a good place to be. It was to be dreaded, if you had any relatives or friends that could fund you they would not have let you go in, bless if it had been a good place to be they would have been clamouring to get in themselves.
    Originally posted by meg72
    The idea was that if you had nothing, no home, no work, you went there and worked for your keep while trying to get a job on the outside. Once you had a job on the outside you kept paying rent/keep at the workhouse until you were back on your feet and could move out into a room somewhere. For those with families that usually meant the bloke going out to work each day until he could take his whole family out.

My gt-gt-granny didn't like this idea .... she liked the idea of dumping all the kids on the doorstep and doing a runner .... trouble was, she wasn't that smart at getting away and she was in jail twice for it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I did a quick shop run. Got some bread rolls, baked beans, bar of chocolate (well it IS the weekend!) and some sausage rolls. They aren't the sausage rolls from the correct shop, but I was in their competitor's shop and I thought "they're right there .... so grab them or go to the extra effort of additionally going to the other shop and praying they have some in stock this time" ... so I got the competitor's ones instead, which weren't as good last time ... but they were there and the "proper shop" has failed to have any stock the last 2x I've looked, so I seized the moment.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,603 Thanks
    Brambling
    Due to a sleepless night (no reason just couldn't sleep) I was glad to see the end of the day it was a struggle at times to keep my eyes open

I was tired and feeling very cold when I got home, and my sit with a cup of tea as I though about dinner turned into a hour and half nap the cat woke me sitting on the remote. I was sitting in dark with the tv blaring and a dead arm and leg at least I'm no longer cold I don't usually nap so I'm feeling a little out of sorts hopefully It won't affect my sleep tonight

So lunch was a cheese salad roll and dinner a bowl of cereal I wasn't really hungry but didn't want to wake up hungry in the night.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 14th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,327 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi

I've been eating really well the last week so pleased about that.

Today was Spicy potato wedges from the freezer - surprisingly nice along with 2 burgers.

Currently on a cupboard and freezer use up when my weekend visitors leave me on Sunday. Think I have a least a weeks worth of use ups.

Need to go on the teabag hunt tomorrow as can't seem to find any decent ones at a reasonable price at the moment due to my strict budget but I do drink a lot of tea each week.

Thanks to PN I now have the sausage roll urge

Also just wanted to say thank you to all on the thread, I have been eating better and on budget thanks to helpful hints and seeing what others are eating plus I really love the anything goes style

Hope your weekend is good

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Apr 18, 4:32 AM
    • 63,790 Posts
    • 373,566 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Thanks to PN I now have the sausage roll urge
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    You're welcome

Also just wanted to say thank you to all on the thread, I have been eating better and on budget thanks to helpful hints and seeing what others are eating plus I really love the anything goes style
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Increasingly these days there are an increasing number of "bullies" and "holier than thou" types over-eager to butt in and point out that one's eating everything wrong, doing it wrong, they're so ideal and perfect themselves. Lots of odd and faddy diets .... but at the end of the day it's us, alone, who have to actually get something onto that plate with the pennies in the purse and motivation in our heads.

I say: eating anything is a step up from anorexia, so any food is a "win" and one shouldn't be food-bullied by faceless people who we don't care about

For me ... I struggle with food on every level and even my bizarre scoffings are better than they used to be as I am making more effort in the last 2-3 years.

If anybody disagrees with my food choices and really cares, then why don't they buy the food, turn up and cook it for me every meal, every day

A fridge with sausage rolls in it is a happy fridge
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,951 Thanks
    kittie
    oh good, I just remembered that I have a chunk of sausagemeat and some puff pastry in the freezer, yay, sausage rolls tomorrow

Heck I was tired and that made me cold yesterday afternoon, I went to bed for a nap and to warm up, it worked but I still started a heavy dreamy sleep in the chair at 9, I had taken my one-off cbd oil at 6 and it obviously relaxed my brain, so it stopped being busy. I was in my night things so went to bed and woke at 7, minus the hip ache that had been keeping me wakeful at night.

I need to be outside today, get more fresh air, will be taking a sharpener and some oil to the allotment, I will make sure my tools and push mower are tip top. Nothing else to do up there, did it all yesterday but it is nice up there, quiet and plenty of birds

Food will be fine, had porridge, later berries/stewed apple /nuts and yoghurt. Will boil a couple of eggs for more protein soon. Lunch has to be stir fry veg, I pack a good assortment in and soften with sherry and soy sauce, Has to be fish with it and probably sardines. I have blackcurrant pie and chocolate. Small tin of baked beans on toast for last meal
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin