Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,840Posts
    • 29,358Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.

Page 116
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    wort
    Been a bit down and tearful lately, the grief tends to ebb and flow. I've eaten though the butternut squash curry was delicious, I'm still working through the scones and cream.
    I've got salmon for tea today probably with chips now after PN s post! I'll pop a bit of veg on the side. Maybe add some tartare sauce.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 17,408 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Same back at you wort - take care of yourself ((( ))).
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 11,696 Thanks
    Farway
    Tum easing now, so had a bowl of fake weetabix for lunch

Dinner decided. It will be one of the YS mini pizzas I bought a bit back, for just such an occasion

And just in case I fancy a bit of comfort eating later, last 3 crumpets out of freezer & defrosting

Despite being dull and cold out, spot of mini gardening and pruned the plum tree. It's only a titchy one so not as arduous as it may sound. No sign of blossom on it again this year. I was hoping but it is only a young tree, 2016.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,358 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

MTSTM, wort <<hugs>>, some days just seem to be much harder than others to cope with

Farway, glad your tum is easing

The sunshine was short lived and while I was eating my lunch it clouded over and got really cold & windy. It's stayed that way ever since so no gardening got done, I'd like to say I got on with other productive things instead but it would be a lie with my book & a snooze passing the afternoon. Thankfully the swelling on my nose & face hasn't got any worse so I'm hoping to avoid the scabby pumpkin look when I get up tomorrow.

• kittie
    • By kittie 12th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    doh, I have been standing on my feet for hours, doesn`t half lead to backache, this standing still. My bread/cake drawer is almost empty and so is my bread bin. For last meal I had toastless celery/cashew soup, so I put some spelt pasta in, was fine. I have been busy using stuff and making blackcurrant pies and a big date and oat slice and a loaf. At least I won`t have to stand on my feet like that for a few weeks. Just as well as I feel that allotment time is upon me, ie would rather be out than in
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 65,292 Posts
    • 383,179 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've gone with spuds, beans and cheese again .... it'll be ready to serve in about 8 minutes. It seemed easiest/most filling.

I really fancy sausage rolls, but am "holding off" for as long as possible. I've had over 70 this year already.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,358 Thanks
    caronc
    Sounds like a productive though kittie despite the back ache

That's a lot of sausage rolls PN mind you I've probably had 70 glasses of red since 01/01

• By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 17,408 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You've been counting caron?
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,358 Thanks
    caronc
    You've been counting caron?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Not exactly but on reckoning a bottle a week (6 glasses) average (some more/some much less) and we are 15/16 weeks into the year! Ouch actually that's nearer 100

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Apr 18, 9:38 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening, sorry some of you are having a bad day today hopefully things will improve for you all tomorrow

Caronc looking at that list it's just as well you don't have to pay for prescriptions, I think they are nearly 9 for each item here but thanks to my thyroid I have a medical exemption just as well as my last prescription had 4 items on. I wouldn't get on my soap box about it now as I haven't had a drink but it is one thing that does make me

Usual work day today busy as we are short staffed and it doesn't look like it will get better for a while at least when you're busy the day goes quicker

Lunch was vegetable chilli I split a portion in two for a couple of lunches but I'm not sure if I fancy it tomorrow I'll see what I feel like in the morning. Dinner was pork chop, mustard mash and veg.

And I'm counting nothing my loyalty cards do that for me ...... mmmm it may explain why my Waitrose card last year sent me vouchers off gin
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,358 Thanks
    caronc

And I'm counting nothing my loyalty cards do that for me ...... mmmm it may explain why my Waitrose card last year sent me vouchers off gin
    Originally posted by Brambling
    I'm saying nothing about the "you might have forgotten" prompt on my online shop

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 12th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Brambling
    I'm saying nothing about the "you might have forgotten" prompt on my online shop
    Originally posted by caronc
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Apr 18, 5:36 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    I hope `whatever` has left your head overnight money, try and stay in the present

I have got up this morning with no idea what to eat today, except breakfast porridge and I am liking it nice and creamy with soaked jumbo oats and FC milk and a grain of salt. I will have to delve into my veg drawers and work around what is in there. The only greens are from my allotment, purple sprouting. I suppose I could do a stir fry, that way I get to incorporate the garlic as well as some of the remaining shallots carrots and fennel. So I will have to de-frost a small bit of stir fry turkey. Oh yes, good, I have some blackcurrant pie with very thin crust, will be nice with yoghurt (but tangy). That leaves me free for the allotment today, no slaving over the stove and no cycling as the lanes are disgustingly filthy
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Apr 18, 9:06 AM
    • 65,292 Posts
    • 383,179 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just double checked the sausage roll situation. I've got a detailed spreadsheet of everything I buy/spend.

It shows I've bought a 6-pack on 13 occasions and recently bought a 10-pack of snack sizes (which I'll count as a 6-pack).

So, 14 6-packs. That's 84.

There have been 31+28+31+12 days so far this year = 102 days.

I eat 2 each time, so on 42 occasions in 102 days I have eaten sausage rolls. 102 days gives "2 eating opportunities per day", so 204 opportunities to call that a meal. 42 occasions from 204 opportunities = 1 in 5 meals have been 2 sausage rolls

It's really not that bad .... as they are "meals" and not "additional food/snacks in addition to meals". If I called it sausagemeat slice it'd not sound so bad. It'd be bad if I'd just eaten those as a mid morning snack every week day.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-04-2018 at 9:08 AM.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    wort
    A miserable wet grey morning here, first rain for a while though. I've work today so I'm taking hm leek and potato soup and gf seeded bead with ham on, that I got YS yesterday bread not ham.
    I will take a yogurt though with only a 15 min break today it may be a rush.
    Kittie my back is the same when I stand a long time, that's why it's so bad at work even a 4 hour shift , with no break means 5 hours if I include the walk there and back, don't mention the full days!, I hope yours is feeling better today.
    I've lifted out chicken jalfrezi for tea. I will call for the little fella on the way home.
    I'm hoping my headache will lift before I go to work, how do you wake up with a headache?
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    wort
    Caronc a bottle of wine is 3 large glasses , so I count in large glasses !!! Sounds better
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 913 Posts
    • 11,092 Thanks
    wort
    I've just chopped the cheap mushrooms for the freezer as I'm not going to be using them this weekend.
    Thinking fish fingers chips and beans tomorrow!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 17,408 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I hope `whatever` has left your head overnight money, try and stay in the present
    Originally posted by kittie
    I try Kittie - as my philosophy boils down to "Plan things out for your life as well as you are able to (and yep...I plan to that extent many years ahead basically) and then try and Live the Day. Annoying that one's feelings aren't always "logical" and throw you out of doing what you'd planned on for that day. Did do a quickie/free Tarot card reading before this and up comes The Hermit/The Emperor/The Lovers in that order. What bit of interpretation came with it said "power struggle" for The Emperor and I guess this could be interpreted that way. Waiting to see what "The Lovers" at the end comes to.....other than the basic "follow your heart" thing on the reading....hmmm..(on that note - better go and check that scratch card with Big Prize I bought just-in-case).....LOL.

Anyways - done what I can re the person concerned. Figured out exactly what's been happening - and "There will be Words....." when I come across A Certain Person (aka troublemaker) next time I see them - as I've realised she's "in there - boots in the game - behind the scenes" (I may be slow on the uptake sometimes - but I get there and figure things out somewhere along the line). But I guess many of us come across people like it at intervals....

But - for now - must take a trip up Tesco and see what inspiration (or otherwise) dawns on me.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-04-2018 at 9:50 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 78,973 Thanks
    kittie
    Back is good today thanks wort. Moving is good, standing still is bad. I have been moving and pricked some cabbages out, my seedling stand is bare this year but I am being picky, only sowing what I need

I just had an all sorts, blackcurrant pie, not heavy crust, stewed apple, almonds and yoghurt. I am waiting for my coffee beans to arrive, then will savour a lovely black organic flavoursome coffee, unless it doesn`t arrive this morning. I only drink one a day and it has to be by 12

Now what? It is too cold and dank for the allotment but I need to go pick. I am going to cycle , its not far and there is a hill, will wait until the dark fades to bit brighter. I am going to read today, nothing else to do really and I am not cleaning apart from the usual kitchen stuff
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,358 Thanks
    caronc
    I just double checked the sausage roll situation. I've got a detailed spreadsheet of everything I buy/spend.

It shows I've bought a 6-pack on 13 occasions and recently bought a 10-pack of snack sizes (which I'll count as a 6-pack).

So, 14 6-packs. That's 84.

There have been 31+28+31+12 days so far this year = 102 days.

I eat 2 each time, so on 42 occasions in 102 days I have eaten sausage rolls. 102 days gives "2 eating opportunities per day", so 204 opportunities to call that a meal. 42 occasions from 204 opportunities = 1 in 5 meals have been 2 sausage rolls

It's really not that bad .... as they are "meals" and not "additional food/snacks in addition to meals". If I called it sausagemeat slice it'd not sound so bad. It'd be bad if I'd just eaten those as a mid morning snack every week day.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Love the precision PN, if you count breakfast as a meal opportunity it reduces the sausage roll eating frequency even further
    Caronc a bottle of wine is 3 large glasses , so I count in large glasses !!! Sounds better
    Originally posted by wort
    Old habits wort, I used to work in a pub so always count them as a standard glass

It's tipping it down here and the bottom of my garden has flooded, I'll need to splash my way to the bin later...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,894Posts Today

8,510Users online

Martin's Twitter