Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,632Posts
    • 23,688Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200
    GC YTD - 391/590
Page 114
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 9,569 Thanks
    Farway
    Back to another dull day

Last night's posh pig chop was superb, I enjoyed every bit of it, and if I were a chop bone nibbler I would have done so

I thought afterwards the posh chop cost less than the posh pasty I recently had. Both over 3 BTW, but I know what my choice will be if there is a next time, and it oinks

Nil breakfast

Into L's, looking for an idea for dinner, found none, did spot twin pack YS salmon, hot smoked, not had that before.
    Searched & found a St Dehlia recipe, but calls for things I don't have, like vermouth & leeks. Plenty of time to think of something, a few days left in date. Always the Nuclear option

Lunch back to cheese salady sarnie

Dinner, I think it will be a nukable lamb shank that has been lurking forever in my fridge, and is very close to BBE day. I'll probably go full on pleb and have it with frozen chips
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 73,841 Thanks
    kittie
    money, chlorine is added to drinking water to kill off pathogens, it is added routinely and sometimes at higher concentarations, we have all smelt that chlorine in tap water

I quickly found this, might help explain the connection

https://www.amymyersmd.com/2016/08/swimming-pools-sabotaging-thyroid/

I routinely use an undersink filter which takes all these out but leaves the essential calcium
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 5,317 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Farway, I'm sure you could substitute shallots/spring onions/a small amount of onion for the leeks, and a bit of dry sherry for the vermouth.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 23,688 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Today has been as though winter has returned so apart from a trip to the bin I've not been out!
    Lurking bag of parsnips were turned into a pot of soup so some of that was had for lunch along with a roll with one of the remaining patties sliced and tomato.
    Apart from making soup and putting away the grocery order I've had a very peaceful day, as usual the stormy weather has upset my balance so I was content to snuggle up with my book this afternoon.

Just need to decide on veg to have with the lasagne and dinner is sorted out.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 7:14 AM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 73,841 Thanks
    kittie
    I have not much idea for today, just had simple spelt toast and pb for breakfast and have berries and apple out of the freezer. The celery/cashew soup is nice but I don`t want any more bread, it will do fine for starters

I want fish today and simple veg and I want to go to the allotment but it has poured all night
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Apr 18, 7:41 AM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 9,569 Thanks
    Farway
    Up early, thinking about "things" so decided to get up & get on with them

Pot of tea, porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt for breakfast.
    I'm now starting for real on my HM yoghurt using Greek starter from Sainsbob's, I still find it hard to believe it is HM, so thick & creamy without fiddling about

Raining when I got up, but sun now out as rain belt moves Oop North, which from my location includes everywhere upwards from M25

However I have to stay in because I'm due a parcel which needs a signature. It is coming via Royal Mail, and according to tracking was in Southampton at 0430 this morning, so def delivery today

Farway, I'm sure you could substitute shallots/spring onions/a small amount of onion for the leeks, and a bit of dry sherry for the vermouth.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Thanks, shallots I've got, but booze is in the biscuits & cake category. None in the house or it gets swallowed / eaten.

I'm going to have another recipe search around later because the salmon is scheduled for tonight's dinner. It could finish up wrapped in foil & baked with butter, with salad, and if I can find a suitable one in my bag of spud, baked spud

Time for a cup of coffee, back later
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 9,569 Thanks
    Farway
    Up early, thinking about "things" so decided to get up & get on with them

Pot of tea, porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt for breakfast.
    I'm now starting for real on my HM yoghurt using Greek starter from Sainsbob's, I still find it hard to believe it is HM, so thick & creamy without fiddling about

Raining when I got up, but sun now out as rain belt moves Oop North, which from my location includes everywhere upwards from M25

However I have to stay in because I'm due a parcel which needs a signature. It is coming via Royal Mail, and according to tracking was in Southampton at 0430 this morning, so def delivery today

Originally posted by bouicca21
    Thanks, shallots I've got, but booze is in the biscuits & cake category. None in the house or it gets swallowed / eaten.

I'm going to have another recipe search around later because the salmon is scheduled for tonight's dinner. It could finish up wrapped in foil & baked with butter, with salad, and if I can find a suitable one in my bag of spud, baked spud

Time for a cup of coffee, back later
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 73,841 Thanks
    kittie
    I`ve decided that I need to get using more store cupboard stuff, so sardines it is but these are large and luscious in a tin, half today and half for breakfast tomorrow, I kid you not. Added to rice/quinoa/amaranth pasta, olives, small tomatoes, frozen peas and I think I will add finely chopped mushrooms when pasta is done. If I don`t make an effort to use, then they will go ood

Its grim out, I just put brassica, lettuce, beetroot seedlings out to get some rain, I think it will be gentle rain for a bit. Local radio on, otherwise it is silence, I like local radio, 80s music today and local cheery chat
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 23,688 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Still dull here but not as cold and miserable as yesterday.
    I'm back to the Drs late morning for review so will just potter indoors until then. If it's dry later I hope to get a wee bit more done outdoors.
    Lunch will be some of the soup I made yesterday with a mini pork pie and salad. For tonight I've defrosted a portion of spiced chicken & lentils which I'll have with mushrooms & red pepper and a greek pitta.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 5,317 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Farway, as long as you butter the foil well, it will work without liquid.

But let this be a lesson to you. It is compulsory for CFOs to have a bottle of cheapish dry sherry (actually I go in for manzanilla) in the fridge for cooking and/or offering to the not quite teetotal at Christmas. Plus slurping oneself whilst puzzling over a recipe written in American.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 15,395 Posts
    • 42,880 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Grins at the thought of interpreting a recipe written in American.

I translate through these days instantly - but the one thing I've not quite got up to speed on is which of my set of cup measures is American and which is British and have a tendency to use my favourite set (bought in Aldi - so presumably British measurements). I don't suppose it matters unduly - as it will be the proportions that are the main thing.

Oven temperature - well, as far as I can see, everything but everything gets cooked at 180C basically in an electric fan oven.

I prefer cooking with cup and spoon measurements actually - as I think it's less hassle. But I'll chop and change with the recipe and use whichever set of measurements it comes in.
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 62,188 Posts
    • 363,974 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I use recipes as "ideas for what I fancy", look at the photo, think about what I've got and then toss what I've got into something I was reminded of.

Recipes always contain 73 ingredients I don't have, so they're just reminders/ideas of food.

Today for lunch I'll be having a parsnip bubble/squeak, baked beans and a poached egg. Because I made the B/S about a month ago and not touched it yet, so I thought I'd toss it onto a plate with beans and an egg as that's easy and I've got eggs.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 23,688 Thanks
    caronc
    My stand by for cooking is a bottle cheap vermouth, keeps forever in the fridge and so handy where a recipe calls for wine or sherry to be added.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 62,188 Posts
    • 363,974 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I don't have alcohol in the house, I don't drink it so if I do ever have anything here it'll sit around for 4-5 years. I think I bought a 2 bottle of "bucks fizz" NYE 2016 on a strange whim "in case I fancied opening a bottle" .... it's still in the cupboard.

I don't like the taste of wine; I have had a few glasses of fizzy stuff thrust at me "to try" occasionally, but I'd not buy alcohol when anything fizzy would do and could be bought cheaper than wine.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,813 Posts
    • 12,402 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The forum is being very clunky and slow for me today!

I had a GF roll with PB and a cup of tea. I also had a smoothie - almond milk, banana and cocoa powder.

I have the leftover soup for later and might make veg burger, mash, cauliflower and peas for dinner.

I will probably have some more fruit and a yoghurt too.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 22/60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 23,688 Thanks
    caronc
    It was clunky for me earlier too, but seems a bit better now!

Just back from the Drs and all is as it should be so thankfully no more med tweaks for the time being.
    Boy is it cold out though and very windy, I don't think I'll venturing into the garden today unless it gets nicer/warmer later. It's definitely "soup" weather so I'm glad I have some just needing warmed up.
    GC YTD - 391/590
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 15,395 Posts
    • 42,880 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've been having particularly bad Forum problems today.

Though I've now called in a Mr Computer to look at my computer anyway - as it's being frustratingly slow anyway and has still got the problem of not being able to add any "pins" to Pinterest myself (ie can only copy other peoples that I fancy).
    Fastest way to get a headache = try and make someone that thinks for themselves conform to local "group think"
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Apr 18, 2:28 PM
    • 6,097 Posts
    • 9,569 Thanks
    Farway
    Ah, clunky forum, I had the same earlier, which explains what I now see is my double posting. Good job there isn't sherry in the house or that would be blamed

My package arrived, very good service by Royal Mail, posted PM Monday, here by 10 this morning.
    Sign of age, the postie was very young and cheery blonde. Seems it's not just coppers who get younger as you get older

Lunch was the cheese salady sarnie

Found a right size spud to bake, so I can pop my buttered tin foil wrapped salmon fillet in the same oven, different timings of course
    With some salad, all very health grub
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 11th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 29,561 Thanks
    pineapple
    Sign of age, the postie was very young and cheery blonde. Seems it's not just coppers who get younger as you get older
    Originally posted by Farway
    My posties all seem to be portly middle aged blokes apart from one likeable cheeky Geordie chappy (I think it might be Dec moonlighting). One of the former is particularly annoying as he will make a comment about the sender - if there is an address or stamp on the envelope. If that isn't creepy enough he must have seen my full name on an envelope and has started calling me by my Christian name
    Anyhow it's thin cut rump steak, mushrooms, watercress and fresh spaghetti for dinner. I was going to finish with an almond Magnum ice cream (cut price at the Coop) but I ate it. Actually, I ate the last two
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 11th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Brambling
    No work today my sister doesn't work school holidays so we decided to grab a day together. Made the most of the sunshine and drove down to the coast for cooked breakfast and then a 13 km walk along the sea front followed by tea and cake.

Currently reclining with my feet telling me that's it's been a while since I've walked that far, on a positive note I didn't need my inhaler but my fair and sensitive skin may have caught the sun as I explained to my sis when she lectured me after all this bad weather the last thing on my mind was sun lotion.

I took a pork chop out for tea but currently thinking more nap time then tea time so it will probably stay in fridge until tomorrow and if I get hungry later I'll rummage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter