Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,410Posts
    • 27,018Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £105/£140, Sep £152/£160
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
Page 112
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    Brambling
    5 left over eggs go out of date tomorrow so I guess I may eat them or boil them. Will make some batter with a couple I think.
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    They should last a while longer in the fridge just do the float test before you eat them

Quiet weekend for me, my sister and nephew popped round last night, he's trying to help with persuading the cat that not all men are bad.

Spent 30 mins with my elderly neighbour this morning going over the new bin collection details with him, I'm still not convince he understands the changes. He's too independent to let me or any other neighbour put his bins out so I'll just have to keep an eye out to make sure he's getting it right.

Just off to make the hairy bikers sausage and bean casserole, even halved this is enough for a coupled of lunches and to freeze some. Plan dinner tonight is hake with salsa verde, new potatoes and veg. Lunch was pate on toast.

I would like to say Ive been productive today but that would be lying it's 4.30pm and I've spent the day pottering I would have liked to have done some gardening but it's been too wet and I cba to do housework
    • geminilady
    • By geminilady 8th Apr 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    geminilady
    Lurker popping in to say to moneyonmymindsam that the eggs should keep much longer than the sell by date so no rush to use them up --------crossposted with Brambling lol people waste lots of food that is perfectly good to eat
    Last edited by geminilady; 08-04-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    Glad to hear you're tum had settled a bit Farway
    Hope the second curry pouch sorted out your curry PN
    As other's have said moneyonmymindsam no rush to use your eggs up
    Wort, a productive spell in the kitchen by the sounds of it
    Brambling some days are just made for pottering

After dulling over early afternoon the weather perked up and was actually quite warm late afternoon. After being quite busy earlier I was enjoying a nice sit on the deck with my book when my sister popped by for a catch up so we both enjoyed a sit in the sun.

Lunch ended up being a BLT without the L as I had dished it up when I realised I hadn't washed/chopped any lettuce. Ramen for tonight is good to go so wont take long to put together shortly
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Lurker popping in to say to moneyonmymindsam that the eggs should keep much longer than the sell by date so no rush to use them up --------crossposted with Brambling lol people waste lots of food that is perfectly good to eat
    Originally posted by geminilady
    Thank you lovely thread people so very kind as always, you are quite possibly the nicest people all grouped together on one friendly thread

Well the egg dilema ....they have been in the Fridge then my guests left them out and I didn't see them for approx 48hrs - anyway i've floated them and all are good at the moment. So I put back in the fridge and will cook the life out of them just in case.

I'm sure they will be gone in a few days and I will live to tell the tale I think I have "scaremongered" myself googling and it came up with likely you will die - american eggs or something

I am getting very good at zero waste so i would be loathed to throw them out. A good sniff test at the time of using will help

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Apr 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    As long as they don't float they will be safe. I find eggs are fine 2-3 weeks after their use by, could be longer but I've never had any left after this. In the past the only time I've come across a dodgy egg it was actually in date according to the box! You will know if an egg is off believe me.....
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Apr 18, 6:52 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    2 houses to view today, an hour away and I have found stuff about both areas on the net, not good stuff but I am going because I have appointments. One cottage tomorrow, local and then I sit back and wait for RM alerts to drop into my lap, I will just be getting on with life, not being stuck

Food needs to be `normal` as much as possible, I have my sleep pattern back and value it, the food helps. Jumbo porridge first, soaked all night in whole milk in the fridge, was gorgeous. Lunch at a local cafe, near new house 1 this morning, hopefully a salad of sorts. Fish and vegetables when I get home but I have eggs and mushrooms on standby

See, no excitement, I am looking forward to the run out but that is all. I will go an hour earlier than needed because I tend to explore the local area, listen to road noise etc
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 7:02 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    The curry was edible, just not scrummy. More portions were immediately boxed up in the fridge. When I do a SC item I serve my portion and immediately spoon the rest into containers and pop it in the fridge (which is almost empty all the time so no worries about raising the fridge temperature) ... and then I fill the SC with hot water so it's "in soak".

I had the curry with rice. Probably have a bit with chips for lunch today.

It's raining. Nothing for breakfast as I've no bread/rolls and no eggs ... and I don't fancy honey nut cornflakes. Have to see what ends up happening as all "plans for food" are always just ideas until the mood's actually taken me and I've chosen something.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Hope you enjoy your trip out kittie even if the houses aren't what you are looking for
    Glad your curry ended up ok PN

Something, I know not what, woke me before 5am this morning. I had that real sense of being startled awake and no way was I getting back to sleep! I read for a bit but decided to just get up and on with my day. I'm not sure what my plans are I'll see what the weather does.

Last night's ramen was really good so happy to have LOs for lunch. I'm making turkey/pork mince patties tonight stuffed with french cheese. Unhelpfully my freezer list only says "French cheese" so I'm not sure what type it is...... I'll make root veg mash to go with it, use some of last year's runner & broad beans as green veg and finish of the peppercorn sauce I made on Saturday so hopefully it will be tasty.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 16,613 Posts
    • 45,873 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    2 houses to view today, an hour away and I have found stuff about both areas on the net, not good stuff but I am going because I have appointments. One cottage tomorrow, local and then I sit back and wait for RM alerts to drop into my lap, I will just be getting on with life, not being stuck.

See, no excitement, I am looking forward to the run out but that is all. I will go an hour earlier than needed because I tend to explore the local area, listen to road noise etc
    Originally posted by kittie
    Kittie - it does feel like life is in a "holding pattern" so to say when one is between one Major Thing and another and it's very frustrating (in a variety of ways). I know what that feels like - that "neither fish nor fowl" sort of feeling. Worse if one is wondering how long the situation is going to go on for.

I knew (pretty much to the day) how long it was going to last when I was in that situation (ie betwixt and between Starter House and Current House). I knew when I was going to find the house I was going to buy and had calculated out how long it would take to sell Starter House (and was only 2 days out as I recall on that). But it was still an "in limbo" situation.

As I found it awkward enough being "in limbo" knowing pretty much to the day how long it would be for me - then I can imagine you're finding it much harder (as you can't predict - even to the month).

So - yep...best in your situation to wake up at the beginning of each day and think "Is there anything that can be done today towards resolving this?" If there is = do it. If there isn't = then just get on with Life As It Currently Is.

Food-wise - looks decent weather out there. Think I might go for a walk to a local place and possibly treat myself to lunch out whilst there. Have come to the conclusion that, though the weather here is worse than I'm used to - it seems to be better overall than much of the country - so trying to look on the positive side of "Better than most of the country" - rather than "Worse than I'm used to" and add bits of colour into my house and into my clothes against the "greyness".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-04-2018 at 8:23 AM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Had a bit of a surreal hour .... I decided to go to 4ldi when the doors opened at 8am. All perfectly normal. It was to be simple, I had a very short list.

Went, parked. Just approaching the door and thought "I've forgotten my money" .... so had to stop at the cash machine inside the door, asked for £10 but it said I could only have £20 as that's all it had, so I chose £20. Went round, through the till and she gave me my change of £5 plus shrapnel ... and I said "I couldn't have spent that much" - she'd given me change for £10 (good job I'm on the ball with what I've spent!).

Got outside and thought "you should've got eggs", but I wasn't going back in for them.

Then down to £land as it's almost adjacent - they don't open until 9am. grrr.

OK .... would like eggs and fancy sausage rolls, so down to L1dl. All a bit odd there, there appears to have been a "shoot out", by the looks of it a BB gun attack on the doors that just caused damage, so the front's all taped off. Inside they had none of the right sausage rolls! And they've had a re-organisation/update, so then it took me ages to find eggs. Then I went back to sausage rolls and chose a different pack type (snack sized, not full sized).

Home now though ... sausage rolls on the go .... it's raining and due to the unusual start to my day my head's reeling and confused.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 10,767 Thanks
    Farway
    Oh dear PN, what an odd start to the day. Hope you settle back to normality mode soon

Yesterday food was just the scone with strawberry jam in the afternoon out with grandchildren. Dinner was another 2 egg omelette, with a nightcap of hot Lemsip

I did pop into the attached farm shop, bought a lovely looking free range, organic, spent it's life on the Sussex Downs looking over Brighton, pork chop. Plus a lump of Harlech & horseradish cheese, never had it, but recommended by a friend. All because I'm worth it

OH, and I sampled a fried meal worm while there. Actually it falls into the "Don't knock it until you've tried it" category. It was like any fried snack, say hoola hoops. I'll not be rushing to buy any but at least I now have bragging rights

Wet day, but supposed to be easing, hope so, we are of to RHS Wisley, Easter Bunny hunting. I'm assured by the grandchildren they can find chocolate bunnies in come rain or shine

Breakfast was porridge, sliced banana, honey & HM yoghurt

Lunch ??? whatever is looking tasty at Wisley

Dinner, the pork chop is a good candidate

Nightcap, Lemsip
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ooh, something's kicking off. Police just went hammering past my house with full sirens on. It's a dead end. Tempted to go out and be nosey but it's raining and you rarely find out what's what. Never heard any sirens in my road before. Sirens mean "now", not "at some time overnight ... we've just noticed". Probably a balaclava loon in the bush with a weapon to have sirens on.

How exciting *checks doors are locked*.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,489 Posts
    • 10,767 Thanks
    Farway
    PN, your day is getting odder hourly, let us know if wee need to watch the local news later
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....spent it's life on the Sussex Downs looking over Brighton, pork chop. ...
    Originally posted by Farway
    It's a sad world when a slaughtered animal, just a pork chop, has a better lifestyle than the majority of us

It's like social media photos .... pets with grander lifestyles and posher houses than most .... as their owner shows how their dog's fur is blown by the wind on the deck of their boat ..... before showing them eating at some posh noshery ....
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PN, your day is getting odder hourly, let us know if wee need to watch the local news later
    If anything were to ever "kick off" I'd be live updating events
    I'm like that.... nosey and "super excited" at seeing what's going on, but out of danger as I've absolutely NO backbone at all, so am an utter coward... so I'd always be "safe".
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 16,613 Posts
    • 45,873 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It's a sad world when a slaughtered animal, just a pork chop, has a better lifestyle than the majority of us

It's like social media photos .... pets with grander lifestyles and posher houses than most .... as their owner shows how their dog's fur is blown by the wind on the deck of their boat ..... before showing them eating at some posh noshery ....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yep...it's envy-making to see that sort of thing. But I had my chances (way back when) of "All That and a lot more" and chose not to take it. So - I tell myself that and variations on "For all we know - the hubbie in the couple has got a 'younger version of wife' somewhere or other on the scene and, if she knew, then she might prefer to swop him for a poorer, but more faithful, husband instead".
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 16,613 Posts
    • 45,873 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If anything were to ever "kick off" I'd be live updating events
    I'm like that.... nosey and "super excited" at seeing what's going on, but out of danger as I've absolutely NO backbone at all, so am an utter coward... so I'd always be "safe".
    Fingers crossed it calms down now. But better a spectator than a participant if not.

Personally - I just keep my fingers crossed that my distinct tendency to have "just decided to start walking in a very different direction just before Trouble Kicks Off" is still in full working order.

"Bomb officer - right where I normally walk? Well, on that day I decided (for no very good reason) to walk the other way instead before it all happened" is more the way I operate thankfully. I'd probably have been one of those passengers that cancelled their trip on the Titanic just before it sailed - and then read the newspapers afterwards.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Apr 18, 11:59 AM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 12,870 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just had the last of the red pesto with rice and veggies. I keep craving rice now I'm off gluten. Mmm.

The roast potatoes I made yesterday were so nice. Asda Extra Special Buttery Marabel potatoes.

ooh, something's kicking off. Police just went hammering past my house with full sirens on. It's a dead end. Tempted to go out and be nosey but it's raining and you rarely find out what's what. Never heard any sirens in my road before. Sirens mean "now", not "at some time overnight ... we've just noticed". Probably a balaclava loon in the bush with a weapon to have sirens on.
    I hear sirens multiple times a day where I live, I heard them about 8 am this morning, thinking about it.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Yesterday's curry was made sans onions as I didn't have any. As 4ldi have them on special this week one of the items on my list was a bag of onions, so I just chopped/cooked one and have added it into a portion of the curry. I'm also tossing some frozen peas in, for colour.

Decided to cook rice again with the curry for lunch because I've got lots of rice and fewer chips .... so I figured I'd use rice again.

EDIT: Oh that's much better. There's still a lurking coconut milk flavour I think, but the curry sitting overnight + the added onion has knocked a lot of that out. It's quite nice now
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 27,018 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday's curry was made sans onions as I didn't have any. As 4ldi have them on special this week one of the items on my list was a bag of onions, so I just chopped/cooked one and have added it into a portion of the curry. I'm also tossing some frozen peas in, for colour.

Decided to cook rice again with the curry for lunch because I've got lots of rice and fewer chips .... so I figured I'd use rice again.

EDIT: Oh that's much better. There's still a lurking coconut milk flavour I think, but the curry sitting overnight + the added onion has knocked a lot of that out. It's quite nice now
    Glad you got the curry as you like it in the end PN
    I did pop into the attached farm shop, bought a lovely looking free range, organic, spent it's life on the Sussex Downs looking over Brighton, pork chop. Plus a lump of Harlech & horseradish cheese, never had it, but recommended by a friend. All because I'm worth it
    Oh your purchases sound lovely.

LO ramen has been scoffed so time for feet up and a snooze I think. It's dull & wet just now so unless the weather perks up I don't think any gardening will be done. I had a mad fit earlier and rearranged some of my kitchen, I think it's an improvement but I wonder how long it will be before I stop going to something's orginal place to get it.
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,539Users online

Martin's Twitter