Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,763Posts
    • 28,724Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthgirl's Final Battle
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    Earthgirl's Final Battle 13th Jan 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have 11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved 28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments 50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find 11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
    Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
    Save 1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
    Make an extra 400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
    Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
    Lots of activities with family
    one to one time with kids and oh
    be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
    plan travel and holidays
    make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
    seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
    simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about 250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about 20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off 147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off 10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
Page 56
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 10th Jan 20, 2:52 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,467 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Wow! Can I ask what veggie meals you have in your repertoire? I'm intrigued by the thought of doing a big batch cook in such a short time.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jan 20, 3:12 PM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,659 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good price for gymnastics I think
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 10th Jan 20, 3:44 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 13,296 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    I totally agree with KC, KK & BL - fantastic list of developments, 30 meals in an hour and 13 a month for gymnastics is very reasonable.

You never know what they are good at until they try it.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's
    MF March 2030 Yes that does say 2030 Mortgage Free 21.12.18
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
    Now selling everything that's not nailed down - I Will Declutter !!!

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Jan 20, 7:31 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Here is a link to the batch lady. She does 10 meals in one hour, times by 4, but I only do 3 as there is normally always something going on for one child and ds2 is so fussy.

https://thebatchlady.com/recipes/10-meals-in-1-hour-chicken/

I'm not a very accomplished cook and the kids like simple things so these aren't going to be that groundbreaking!!

For the veggie meals I do 5 meals for 3 people and double:

Tortilla pizzas - just make the sauce and freeze in 2 freezer bags. Defrost on the day and put on tortillas, add olives.

Vegetarian fahita pasta - Same sauce as above plus fahita seasoning and onions, peppers. On day cook pasta stir in sauce and add grated cheese at the end.

2 batches of vegetarian coconut curry in slow cooker

2 crustless spinach quiches, cooked and frozen.

Baked broccoli penne - brocolli cheese sauce and pasta in an oven dish. Defrost and cook for 30-40 mins.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 11-01-2020 at 7:35 AM.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 11th Jan 20, 1:25 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,467 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Those all sound yummy, thank you!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Jan 20, 6:54 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I'm sorry they are not very exciting, but being so simple they are totally prepable in 1 hour and we have a pasta and another veg meal per week, one or two chicken and one or two fish depending on the week.

Yesterday didn't go as planned, ds2 had a bad fall, thought there might be a fracture, but there wasn't. NHS amazing as usual

So a bit behind on my to do list but hey ho. Still got my 30 minutes exercise in, begrudgingly at first - just a walking dvd after back from hospital - but soon got into it, forwent the takeaway OH was needling at, and felt much, much better!

Progress not Perfection
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Jan 20, 8:53 AM
    • 9,778 Posts
    • 75,054 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope ds2 gets better quickly. I agree - the nhs are fab!
    NST Jan Questor #1; NSD 6/15; Ex 9/21; remove items 72; 0 bagfuls (51)

Mortgage 3,000 ish (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad DS2 is okay. Great news about the business too! It sounds like you're really on top of everything at the moment!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jan 20, 12:00 PM
    • 3,561 Posts
    • 22,975 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks for posting the link: I'm going to have a look.

My DD did gymnastics and it paid off in so many ways for her. For a start it gave her confidence - she has dyslexia (which wasn't diagnosed at that point) so didn't feel she was good at anything, but it turned out she was very good at gymnastics, and it later lead to other sports which she now uses as part of her job. She also met her partner through it!

Of course I know that's not a reason for starting a sport but I think it would have been a good investment regardless.

I hope your other DS feels better soon. Fall can be scary.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by 4,100.58/3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by 3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Jan 20, 7:58 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 28,724 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks for the replies!
    DS2 doing much better, had to take a couple of days off football so it must have been bad!

Just a quicj update as I'm teaching in about ten minutes.

Health
    Still doing 30 mins per day and it's life changing. I am normally walking most days on the beautiful beaches here, something I used to not do as often as I liked - because I didn't put myself first for just 30 minutes.

Much better eating and some improvement on hydration so they are both on my hitlist this week.

Wealth
    Getting so many enquiries for tutoring. I think I am full now really. I am working well on OHs business.
    DS1 has started gymnastics and seems to enjoy it so thats 13 per month up.
    I have set up a budget which I think is doable and trackable with the tiniest amount of effort!
    I am discovering from the last few days of having this budget that the other category is the one I need to watch - in the last few days I have bought ds2 a game, (he asked for one too old for him so I bought him a more appropriate one, but should have made his save up instead of just buying). I'm going to tighten up in this area.

Groceries, cleaning etc I've put up to 400 per month so that I can use much less plastic and buy healthy food. The children are eating much, much more! DS1 eats as much as OH - He is very lithe though!

I have put a budget in there for doing things just OH and myself - cinema, meals out date nights in etc for the first time ever. I've budgeted 80 per month for this and I'm pleased I made it a priority.

Found cheaper but still good ( I hope) vitamins

Environment
    Great system going now of buying in bulk, saving any non recycable bags, going to the beach and removing non recyclable plastics from the beach, filling up the bags if I have to send to landfill I'd rather pull a lot of it out of the ocean!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 18-01-2020 at 8:01 AM.

Progress not Perfection
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jan 20, 9:40 AM
    • 68,439 Posts
    • 312,659 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you have a catagory for you & OH
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,551Users online

Martin's Twitter