Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 6:55 AM
    • 2,731Posts
    • 28,500Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthgirl's Final Battle
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:55 AM
    Earthgirl's Final Battle 13th Jan 18 at 6:55 AM
    Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have 11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved 28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments 50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find 11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
    Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
    Save 1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
    Make an extra 400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
    Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
    Lots of activities with family
    one to one time with kids and oh
    be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
    plan travel and holidays
    make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
    seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
    simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about 250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about 20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off 147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off 10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
Page 46
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 5th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Still chuckling about the assembly. It's bad enough watching your own children, but other peoples children singing and talking about mini beasts? OH is amazing for not shuffling out again!

EXHAUSTED today. Looked after my friends two babies so she could do things, she ended up being away for 4 hours it was an appointment she couldn't leave, so I had to use up my lunch and work late. Then cooked and took ds2 to football with a couple of friends. I'm totally exhauseted now, work is so easy in comparison to babies!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Still rushing, rushing, rushing!

I feel like I have got some really big things on my to do list that are just so big I can't see ever crossing them off! I have been teaching an extra hour per day, plus planning for this and writing reports. I love it but it's more time consuming than I am used to. What would make it less time consuming would be to get more work like it when these clients finish at the end of the week, and reuse my prep work.

I am quite disappointed that none of the cheap or free normal activities that I send my children to are on this year, or they are on when we are away. I - or rather, they - will have to be inventive this summer!

Big to do's:

-Finish French holiday planning - maps etc, things to do in 3rd destination
    - Plan for students so it's easy when they are here
    - tidy office (dumping ground) to teach in
    - make 10 youtube videos ahead
    - clean house
    - get organised for summer hols (in 3 weeks!) - puzzle sheets for kids, book 1 activity each, bucket list.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 10-06-2019 at 8:30 PM.

Progress not Perfection
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 11th Jun 19, 8:54 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 14,169 Thanks
    themadvix
    Earthie, might I suggest that you lessen the load a bit? Perhaps cut the YT videos down? You're not in debt, not even with a mortgage and if you're rushing around so much it must be causing you stress, which seems daft when you don't need to be. I'm sure the boys would appreciate having a less stressed/rushed mum who is around more, rather than an extra couple of days holiday in the future.

Absolutely agree that it would be good if you got more of the teaching work if it means you can reuse prep and resources - I love a Brownie meeting where I can do that!

When/where are you off to in France?

Take care of yourself!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthie, might I suggest that you lessen the load a bit? Perhaps cut the YT videos down? You're not in debt, not even with a mortgage and if you're rushing around so much it must be causing you stress, which seems daft when you don't need to be. I'm sure the boys would appreciate having a less stressed/rushed mum who is around more, rather than an extra couple of days holiday in the future.

Absolutely agree that it would be good if you got more of the teaching work if it means you can reuse prep and resources - I love a Brownie meeting where I can do that!

When/where are you off to in France?

Take care of yourself!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Yes totally agree with you. It seems very silly to put time that I don't have into youtube when it isn't making me money yet. If I get to a busy point in my life like this it should be the first thing to be reduced.

Thanks themadvix - sometimes takes another perspective!

Also been told that I will have another online student which is great. Unfortunately I will have to do one of the lessons when I'm in France, but I can do it at my dad's house so that should be fine. (29th June for 1 week).

I've cleaned the kitchen -45 mins - If I can get the rest of the cleaning done today, I can tidy the office whilst I look after my friends little girl tomorrow morning.

Progress not Perfection
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 11th Jun 19, 1:55 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 14,169 Thanks
    themadvix
    Well done on the cleaning! and good luck with the rest of it. Good news about the student, even if it annoyingly does overlap with your holiday (but I think that's a more reasonable pay-off/balance).

Glad you took what I said in the right way - sometimes its hard to know whether to say anything or not.

We'll be back from France by then, otherwise I'd have been wanting to know more!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Jun 19, 4:39 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Argh so so close with a few things, but can't quite cross off:

Big to do's:

-Finish French holiday planning - maps etc, things to do in 3rd destination
    - make 10 5 youtube videos ahead
    - clean house
    - get organised for summer hols (in 3 weeks!) - puzzle sheets for kids, book 1 activity each, bucket list. ALMOST

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jun 19, 4:50 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Big to do's:

-Finish French holiday planning - maps etc, things to do in 3rd destination Done - found some great things
    - make 5 youtube videos ahead
    - clean house Done
    - get organised for summer hols (in 3 weeks!) - puzzle sheets for kids, book 1 activity each, bucket list. Done

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jun 19, 5:04 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Argh total overwhelm alert!

I've cleaned the house and sorted the kids summer holidays, I've planned our France holiday which is totally the right thing to do about a month in advance as I could reserve tickets to the thing I wanted to go to. I wouldn't be able to do thisif I left it much longer.

I totally messed up today and I didn't look at my diary and missed an appointment. I feel so mad at myself - I was so busy and forgot that I had actually scheduled myself to be in 3 places at once - I only made 2. Even writing it sounds ridiculous I'm just trying to do too much. Also, someone in a meeting was horrible to me, twice. I'm actually ok with this as it was very stupid on her part.

So I've apologised to all concerned, owned up to my boss so I can't get into further 'trouble'. I just have to accept that I messed up and make amends tomorrow. I have to not think about the stupid comments made in the meeting.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 13-06-2019 at 5:12 PM.

Progress not Perfection
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    • 67,099 Posts
    • 303,880 Thanks
    beanielou
    No, please dont think about the comments in the meeting.
    Very unproffessional.

Slow down though woman!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 72,039 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I always 'fess up when I've messed up. Firstly, I then know I've done the right thing; secondly the person I've messed up with gets the apology that they should have without me having to be prompted; thirdly, it clears the air. I'm sure it does lots more good things too!

Step back from life, missus, and b r e a t h e.
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jun 19, 10:01 PM
    • 32,430 Posts
    • 191,725 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Agreed! Please take care of yourself a bit, earthie, you don't have to grind at life like this
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 14,169 Thanks
    themadvix
    What the others said!! Take care of yourself, or you'll burn out and be unable to do even half of what you do now.
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thank you!

I have taken it easy today. I totally made up for missing an appointment yesterday and I am determined to get happy and healthy over the weekend so that on Monday I can make more inroads into my work and get ahead instead of catching up!

The ridiculous comments made in the meeting - I discussed with a colleague who agrees that it's not just me - a miracle would not be enough to describe the outcome the woman was wanting from me. She was dissapointed that I could not perform or encourage this miracle to happen. Her problem not mine. In the past she has sat in meetings where I have been repeatedly highly praised in front of her and I think she didn't like this or my realistic approach.

I have also sorted out more for the students coming - just a little bit more to print off but it's all organised.

Ds1 is off school today with a sore tummy. So a quiet weekend ahead for us. Hopefully we won't all get it!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 14-06-2019 at 2:25 PM.

Progress not Perfection
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Jun 19, 6:26 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 72,039 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Well done you.

Catching up is so much more tiring than keeping on top of work, isn't it?! And getting ahead is truly liberating!
    NST October mudman #2; NSD 10/15; Ex 10/21; remove bagfuls 2(40)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 19, 6:31 PM
    • 67,099 Posts
    • 303,880 Thanks
    beanielou
    As I am probably old enough to be your mumm (!!) please do slow down a bit. I get where you are coming from but you do need to slow down otherwise your body will slow down for you.
    Take in the spirit it is meant
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 17 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 15th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    As I am probably old enough to be your mumm (!!) please do slow down a bit. I get where you are coming from but you do need to slow down otherwise your body will slow down for you.
    Take in the spirit it is meant
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I was just thinking this the other day!! About my body one day just giving up - not about you being old enough to be my mum - this is not true!

I was thinking that I pushed myself to the point of exhaustion this week so that I wasn't thinking straight and let someone bother me. I'm normally tougher than that and was just pushing myself to the edge of my capabilities.

So a very relaxing day today.OH wanted a takeaway but I cooked a nice meal instead. DS1 seems much better still not 100%, but happy enough.

We walked on the beach, played in the hay shed and in the garden. DS1 (aged 8) went to the school fayre on his own and was brilliant. Met me at the meeting point on time and with a present for his little bro. I Didn't want to infect anyone with ds2's virus if it was one.

A rabbit got under my poly and into my strawberry patch. Not a massive amount of damage and I've sealed up again.

Hoping the weather will be better tomorrow. Hoping to plant more lettuce and mint - rabbits ate my herbs for the first time this year. Also cooking a fathers day sunday lunch. Presents and cafrds made by kids, and one present is a voucher for a stay in a vineyard when we are in France, with winetasting in the cave and meal of winegrowers - a set menu of whatever the chambre d'hote want to serve us. Great experience in the Loire valley I hope.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 15-06-2019 at 7:03 PM.

Progress not Perfection
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jun 19, 9:45 AM
    • 32,430 Posts
    • 191,725 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds a lovely day, earthie. And as for your body slowing down for you, if you don't take care - thats exactly what my CFS was, I reckon

Anyway, not long till France now! The Loire Valley is gorgeous, really exceptional. And that vineyard experience sounds brilliant as well
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 16th Jun 19, 5:07 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Another echoing in to slow down..... I really relate to wanting to get so much done but your body *will* start taking action for you ....

Sounds a very relaxing day ! You do sooooo much ... Don't forget to give yourself a break to relax and reacharge every now and then xx
    MF planning for the simple life
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Jun 19, 6:28 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thank you for supportive comments! I have been taking it easy. And things have just been made a bit simpler for me by my third online student being cancelled. A bit annoying as I was hoping to reuse my prep, but I already had students staying and lunch club to do, so at the same time having an online student would be hard - would also havehad to do it on holiday as well. So that's cancelled but I hope I'll get more in the future.

I have 2 x 30 mins next week - so 20 in for that, and my usual tutee on Thursday so 25 in for that.

I've batch cooked a massive lasgana and sheps pie, some mash for sausage and mash, and a spag bol. So I only need to make - fish pie, cottage pie and chilli. To give myself an easier few weeks, everything else can be bought or prepped on the day and put in the slow cooker. Most things served with salad and baby potatoes from the garden. Tinned fruit/fruit crumble/eton mess type desserts.

1.Lasagna - prepped
    2.spag bol - prepped
    3.chilli - to prep
    4. Haggis - OH
    5. quiche - to buy
    6.marinade for chicken that can be thrown in oven - no prep
    7. Roast Chicken - no prep
    8. Roast Pork - no prep
    9. Shepards pie - prepped
    10. fish pie - to prep
    11. Cottage pie - to prep
    12, 13, 14. Pizza, salad etc or BBQ - to buy
    15. Fish and chips - have to do this! - to buy
    16. beef stew - no prep
    17.Pasta bake - no prep
    18. Sausage and mash (you can freeze mash!) - prepped
    18. Curry - no prep
    20. scotch pie - to buy
    21. mac n cheese - no prep
    Last edited by earthgirl; 18-06-2019 at 6:33 AM.

Progress not Perfection
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th Jun 19, 6:41 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 28,500 Thanks
    earthgirl
    For DS1s birthday we have bough Joseph tickets for its tour, coming to Glasgow in sept. He will love this! Amazing seats - the best available in terms of viewing - for under 50 each. As it's their first show I wanted them to see from great seats (and so much cheaper than London).

I am sure that I want to take them to quite a lot of classic theatre shows, DS1 particularly loves musicals. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE LION KING - CAN ANYONE HELP?

Lion King is coming to Edinburgh, over winter - so at a time we look for activities to do. It would be unbudgeted for though - and if I took them to pretty good seats it would be 90 per ticket! For poorer seats it would be about 75, and I do think while they are young good seats are important to ensure they enjoy. Neither of them love the Lion King but I've heard its amazing. Not sure what to do - It would be 270 for me and the 2 boys - ouch!!

They will be 9 and 7.

Progress not Perfection
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

2,201Users online

Martin's Twitter