Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,243Posts
    • 24,560Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthgirl's Final Battle
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    Earthgirl's Final Battle 13th Jan 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have 11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved 28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments 50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find 11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
    Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
    Save 1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
    Make an extra 400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
    Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
    Lots of activities with family
    one to one time with kids and oh
    be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
    plan travel and holidays
    make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
    seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
    simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about 250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about 20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off 147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off 10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k Travel savings 18,378
Page 28
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 1st Nov 18, 7:01 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Its going ok Thanks beanie!

I'm so annoyed as I have loast my watch. It wasn't a smart watch or anything, but it was a bottom of the range ecodrive one, that doesn't ever need batteries. It had a little crack on the screen and would have hardly been worth anything to anyone else, but I loved it.

I think I might have lost it at the pool on Saturday, but no one has handed it it. I think I'll go to the pool and ask to look myself today, and I'll double check bags and car etc but it's not looking good.

To replace directly it'll cost about 200 (bought for 50), so I won't be replacing it, and it's not worth claiming on onsurance .

Nevermind, its only a 'thing' and doesn't really matter.

I'm a bit behind on everything this week - more problems with DS1 and 2 at school, but the headteacher is on the case and I am confident it will be dealt with. I also had a few more very sleepless nights with back pain but physio has strapped up my back which seems to have helped yesterday and last night.

Great cheap halloween here - I spent 6 on a costume for DS1 in the end and it should last him a few years. In the charity shop I also found a smart tailored coat that will smarten me up a bit, and the money goes to charity (8) - win win!

So really not a lot of good news, but you make your own good news, so I am off to put lots of effort into making today a positive day where things move forward.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 01-11-2018 at 7:03 AM.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Nov 18, 2:59 PM
    • 58,653 Posts
    • 243,033 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you find your watch.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 2nd Nov 18, 7:48 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I didn't find my watch, and it's unlikely to be returned to me. Nevermind. I will get a cheap one for Christmas.

Today I will catch up on admin at work, do the weekly shop and organise the weekend for no spends.

I did a greta workout last night, but I'm not getting to the beach on the weekdays in winter. I should get there on Saturday and Sunday.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Nov 18, 12:22 PM
    • 30,161 Posts
    • 175,057 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hope you get to the beach over the weekend, that sounds so amazing.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 3rd Nov 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Drizzly day today so I've given the beach a miss its due to be lovely the next few days so I'll make sure I get down then.

I have been asking the PEdept at a school I'm in a lot about the possiblity of using their gym (and possibly showers) and it turns out they already have free classes for staff that I could attend No gym membership needed and it should help me in winter so I'll try to fit it in. I've only got a few pounds to lose now, but I want a good cardio and strength workout at least 3 times a week.

I've been up and at the surveys today I think they bring in more extra cash than the other work I was doing, and scheduling it for half an hour a day really works for me.

I've been offered a flexibility with my job to work in the childrens units in return for hours off. I can accumulate these to be a day or two and this gives me flexiblity when booking trips away which can save me a lot of money. For example when considering this we looked at holidays returning on a Monday rather than a Sunday, and the saving was about 1000.

Housework is all up to date, so my focus is having fun with this weekend (sometimes I think I give myself so much to do that I/we don't get to have as much fun as I'd like!)

So today we are going to a community event (free) ds1 has a party, and I'm taking ds2 to an aquarium (free tickets).

Need to:

Wrap 3 presents (one for tomorrow) all from store
    make picnic for ds2 and 1
    Get ds1 party ready

Tomorrow
    run on beach - starting couch to 5k eek!
    Shop and scan
    batch cook - humous, pasta sauce x 2, chicken for lunches, soup for date lunch.
    Football run and party run

Have decided to do a lunch date with oh on a Monday, especially after a busy weekend, so I bought some part baked rolls and I'll make soup and a mug cake!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 03-11-2018 at 9:49 AM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 3rd Nov 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8,032 Posts
    • 61,199 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Good news about those gym classes.

And the work flexibility.

And the freebies for today.
    NST December in the TARDIS #1; NSD /15; Ex /21 ; craft (261); remove (669)
    2018 Pay off: 4558; 2
    018 sell 98.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage 18,634 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 6th Nov 18, 7:54 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Things going well at work - looks promising that this job wont change much and I love it so it's worth a lot to me.

Went to a cheap fireworks show and bonfire last night, it was amazing and only cost 5.

I've done some surveys this morning and then was helped by ds2. Going to have to rejig 'again' as he is up most mornings and I can't work on OH's business. Either that or OH will have to get up and look after him!!But soon he won't want cuddles and I'll miss them...

I took ds2 to an aquarium on Saturday and it was a lovely day out. He was just a joy to be with and was so interested in everything. We had a lovely weekend and it was mostly free.

2 mystery shops completed yesterday, and some surveys. I'm finding the surveys are earning me more than I expected and I'll keep on going.

So this week I'd like to do a massive overhaul and catch up on admin at work, do some banking and check money is in the best paying accounts, have a look at our travel plans again to make sure we are planning on travelling at the best times.

I have a day out on Saturday to Glasgow with relatives, and I'd like to plan in a swimming trip and a museum/gallery trip with the kids too, so I need to organise that.

We had saved and budgeted for a trip away at new year time, but as an experiment we have left it to later to book. It seems like we would still have to spend a lot of money (3k) to get somewhere warm (and even then it's not guranteed and there might be bad days) and it wouldn't have a lot of charachter to it, just going to a resort somewhere, maybe Eygpt or Tenerife. It would be nice to relax together and for the kids to do sport/swim etc and have meals 'out', but I'm so undecided - what if we spend all that money and it's to cold to do that? I think I need to do a little more research.

Also - I'm going to get asked to do lunch club at Christmas soon and need to say yes - ie not go on holiday and put extra cash into the pot - or no and then risk not getting a cheap holiday and staying at home when I could have been earning the extra cash.

Sorry for waffling - bit of a brain dump!!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 06-11-2018 at 8:01 AM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 7th Nov 18, 7:44 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    So I have decided that its best not to go away at new year unless oh really wants to - and I don't think he does. When I get asked to do lunch club, I'll double check with him then. I'd rather not spend so much on a holiday when I could put that towards a better holiday - for example 5k would get us a south africa trip with safari.

So I have entered into the world of swagbucks, and I'm doing as amny surveys as I can to keep the pounds building up. I haven't yet completed my work overhaul and admin catch up - will get into that today.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Nov 18, 9:37 AM
    • 30,161 Posts
    • 175,057 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Earthie, honestly, I think thats the right decision, not to go away over NY - the airport trauma looks horrendous, and prices are really over-inflated.

SB - keep checking on the thread on here, its so valuable. And if you see and "instant" survey on your home page, do it right then - I don't think anyone ever gets rejected for them, and they're very fast. But the thread will tell you so many ways to get easy points. That said, the next mse thing I want to do is join Prolific Academic.

Anyway, have a good day, I'm sure you're as busy as usual
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 8th Nov 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks Karma, your post gave me so much peace about not going away. I am not here to holiday at all costs, rather we have a goal to travel and experience things with the money we have saved from working extra. I still need to plan this a little better, but this year has shown me that late deals to the sort of places we want to go don't really exist and planning about 11 months ahead gives the cheapest results and most choice.

Still not managing to get SB to work in my favour it seems to take me a long time, but I'll get there.

I was looking at extra jobs yesterday (actually for OH not me) there really isn't anything for him, but loads for me (service and retail). But I'm just not going to give my weekends and evenings up with the kids, there will be time for that when they are teenagers or older. It's reAlly hard to find things that OH would like. We have enquired about fostering as we have always thought we'd do this later down the line, but with oh at home it makes sense to look at it now.

Still not got ahead with my work admin despite an afternoon on it yesterday. I hate taking it home so I'm going to have to come up with a better way of working.

TO DO:
    doctors appointment
    surveys
    housework catch up
    exercise
    organise saturdays glasgow trip
    Banking
    Organise travel plans roughly
    clear work back log and reorganise admin systems
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Nov 18, 10:26 AM
    • 30,161 Posts
    • 175,057 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm glad it helped, earthie

SB - for someone with your earning ability and so time poor, I'm not sure it makes sense to go for it, honestly.

OH jobs: as a short term thing, listening to kids read, something like that? Service and retail for him? Or are you looking for a permanent something straight away? Not a good time of year for much to be on the market, as I'm sure you know in reality, sorry.
    Retired August 2016
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 8,032 Posts
    • 61,199 Thanks
    apple muncher
    a neighbour delivers parcels. says there'll bemany more in the build up to cmas. She picks up about 3 miles away, delivers on a nearby part of our estate, gets sent a suggestd delivery route to take, and fits it round 3 kids. Worth looking at that sort of thing? Obv, only temp.

Mortgage 18,634 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 9th Nov 18, 5:20 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I'll look into parcel delivery. Any sort of driving would do. OH doesnt want to work with the public. It doesnt really leave much tbh!

We are getting no income from his business at all, but he seems happy and is still plugging away at it. Maybe it'll recover - I don't think so I actually think at some point he will decide on a new project. It suits me that he is self-employed as he is here for the kids when I am at work.
    I have started handing over some of my things for him to do - he now does all of the football training runs which means I have every evening free.

I work best in the morning though, so my evenings are mostly spent with the other child and relaxing. I've started to exercise then too.

Work is stressful at the moment, not stuff I can discuss here I guess just that I have to change my entire working week next week and I see no possible way of getting everything done that I need to do.

Seeing the opportunity there - my boss is very grateful and has told me I can have 'whatever I want' in return so I'll ask for a few more hours back. I'm also working in the childrens units next week and I'll just do it all in one evening.

PREVIOUS TO DO:
    doctors appointment done
    surveys done
    housework catch up done
    exercise done

organise saturdays glasgow trip - done but left at work sigh
    Banking done
    Organise travel plans roughly done

clear work back log and reorganise admin systems - No where near and no chance next week either

So most things done and worked on OHs business too.

TO DO:
    Oragnise saturdays trip finally
    clear work backlog
    reorganise admin systems
    exercise plan
    sort washing
    type up travel plan
    surveys, surveys, surveys!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 09-11-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Nov 18, 9:27 AM
    • 2,022 Posts
    • 11,624 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad to hear your DH is taking on some of your chores - I'm sure it's not the case, but we only get one side and at times it sounded like you were doing everything!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Needhelpsaving
    • By Needhelpsaving 10th Nov 18, 9:58 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 3,185 Thanks
    Needhelpsaving
    Morning EG,

I'm inclined to agree with Karma on the SB thing.

Over the last year or so they seem to have made it harder to earn SB to exchange for gift cards. I still use it, but I don't spend ages on it, I will try a few surveys, the easy swago games (when they're out), swag codes and the daily polls.

I tend to get the main bulk of my SB these days from their chrome extension which gives you points for shopping. I tend to go through quidco and then the SB banner pops up when you arrive at the site you are shopping on, you click activate and it will track your spend to exchange for points (so in effect I get money from quidco and SB most of the time) - Sometimes the site I am using only has an offer on SB or quidco.

I only tend to get about 5-10 a month from SB. It's worth using for the few here and there, but I wouldn't spend ages on there.

HTH x
    Target 1b (revised) - Emergency Fund Currently 10,000/10,000

Target 2b (revised) - Pay Mortgage Down to 55,000 by 31/12/18 Was 71,006.49 (01/01/18) Now 58,667.91 (06/10)
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Nov 18, 7:40 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Glad to hear your DH is taking on some of your chores - I'm sure it's not the case, but we only get one side and at times it sounded like you were doing everything!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    I was doing everthing, it was really hard for a while there, but I wanted it to be his idea to take some of the jobs off me Now we have a bit of a better balance.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Nov 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Morning EG,

I'm inclined to agree with Karma on the SB thing.

Over the last year or so they seem to have made it harder to earn SB to exchange for gift cards. I still use it, but I don't spend ages on it, I will try a few surveys, the easy swago games (when they're out), swag codes and the daily polls.

I tend to get the main bulk of my SB these days from their chrome extension which gives you points for shopping. I tend to go through quidco and then the SB banner pops up when you arrive at the site you are shopping on, you click activate and it will track your spend to exchange for points (so in effect I get money from quidco and SB most of the time) - Sometimes the site I am using only has an offer on SB or quidco.

I only tend to get about 5-10 a month from SB. It's worth using for the few here and there, but I wouldn't spend ages on there.

HTH x
    Originally posted by Needhelpsaving
    Thanks I might just do this then, I find the site infuriating. I think I will do my searches with the swag search bar, and the quidco crome extension should pop up and I can get the quidco points too! Great idea
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Nov 18, 7:58 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Not a good day yesterday in relation to my goals. All due to decisions I made and to quite an extent OH too. Wasn't a cheap day although we did get to see family which is a goal, and we had expensive options wherever we looked yesterday.
    Particular pain points were not being able to park where I wanted at the time I wanted as I'd left it too late to decide and then book. Waiting for OH to come home instead of just going out myself with the kids and then him not really wanting to go out, and me being quite lazy and agreeing. I'd previously promised the kids a burger as I thought we'd be out all day and didn't want 2 picnics but we weren't so I ended up buying them one for no reason really. We didn't really warn the kids about buying drinks at the party we were at - I sould have thought about this and brought something with us. All I wanted was a cup of juice for the kids but I ended up buying a much more expensive round sigh. I also had a burger and then really fattening food at the party as I'd just kind of given up by then.

Better planning and focus needed.

So today isn't going to be a lazy day. Both boys to football, beach run for me, washing away, and a general tidy up and plan for the week, shop and scan and surveys. This afternoon I'll play with the kids and then cook Sunday roast and food for the week. Healthy food and hydration - back to those goals - and I must improve the weekend planning instead of planning all my holidays
    Last edited by earthgirl; 11-11-2018 at 8:07 AM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Nov 18, 1:37 PM
    • 8,032 Posts
    • 61,199 Thanks
    apple muncher
    1 'bad' day doesn't mean that it will all unravel - you have routines, systems and communication all on your side.

Hope today feels much better for you x

• earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Nov 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 24,560 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks apple, yes feel much better today. Although eating could be better (birthday cake, I'm looking at you!) I have achieved loads, and the kids have had a good day too.

Went to the cemetery and tidied up fil s grave, which was nice and life affirming.

Mostly organised for the week few bits to do. Apple you are right, back to my routines and systems, they never let me go too far off track!!
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

745Posts Today

5,095Users online

Martin's Twitter