Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,142Posts
    • 23,796Thanks
    earthgirl
    Earthgirl's Final Battle
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    Earthgirl's Final Battle 13th Jan 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hello all,

My last diary was unceremoniously deleted by the powers that be, and although I have tried to get it back the nice people at MSE towers can't reinstate it (just doing their jobs). I think the title might have offended somebody

So as my last post was my goals for 2018 - where I laid out my plans for 2018 and hope to finally pay off this mortgage taken out in Nov 2013 - Its actually quite a good time to start a new diary.

This will be my final battle - I have 11, 687 to pay off. I am also saving for holidays and travel.

Thanks to the ed team for giving me access to a few posts - here is my last post:

We have saved 28,000 towards our mortgage in 2017. Providing we pay the endowmwnt payments 50/month each times 2 endowments for 1 year and 3 years respectively, and that the endowmets make the mid estimated pay out, we need to find 11, 687 to pay off the mortgage.

At one time I wanted to get that paid off in 2017, but I wouldn't swap the holiday for OHs 50th, which was our other big expense this year.

So goals for 2018

**Health**
    Whole family lead an active and healthy life (sleep, hyrdation, 5 a day, healthy food, acitve every day, less alchohol). I'm pretty well organised with this.

**Wealth**
    Save 1000 per month to pay off mortgage by 2019. This is the year!
    Make an extra 400 / month an allocate to holidays and travelling
    Subject to revision if OH has periods of no/low income.

**Life Well Lived**
    Lots of activities with family
    one to one time with kids and oh
    be present and mindful - less distractions when with family
    plan travel and holidays
    make more time for all of our hobbies - reading, gardening, languages, boys football.
    seeing friends and family a priority (cheaply, and for the kids too!)
    simplify life a bit more, and declutter life and home."

And for good measure here is my first post from my last diary:

My new diary is so named as the first morning we woke up in our new house after running out on our old life, we all ended up dancing around the living room playing air guitar to this tune. DH and I had a bit of a moment as reality set in!

We decided fairly quickly to move on from our old secure little life, with reasonably secure income and no mortgage, to take a chance on our dream house by the sea. With a bit of stress and 'homelessness' in the middle we now the owners of a lovely family home on the west coast of Scotland. We had savings of about 250,000 thanks to mse and this board in particular, we have spent about 20,000 on the move itself, and now have to pay off 147,500 for our new mortgage.

Only problem is we have little income as I gave up my job and dh is remodelling his business, but we have lots of positivity and determination!

I'd like to set a target of paying it all off in ten years. I'd like to pay off 10,000 in the next 12 months.

Off we go.... ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif) ![](http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif)

old diary here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3978475"
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings 3203/5k
Page 13
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    themadvix
    Just catching up EG, and sorry to hear things have been so tough. You are amazing at seeing the positives though.

Glad you had a good meal with OH. I can completely understand where he is coming from re getting a job. It's something I've had to consider before now, but I've always resisted. I know if needs must then that's the way it has to be, but I do understand how he feels. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Beavers will be great for the boys!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 27th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Unfortunately this week has been a bit of a battle too - but I'm on the home straight now!

I rushed ds2 to hospital as he had a rash that didn't blanche and all the other symtpoms. He was fine, just a virus, but I carried him as he was drowsy. iI'd had to park ages away from the hospital - anyway the upshot is I've really hurt my back again .

DS2 is on the mend, and should be well enough for a bit of football training later. I have put cubs etc on hold till I'm a bit more together.

This week I've almost kept up with my cleaning routine, and I haven't gone mad with spends, although I've been playing catch up most days and haven't brought in much extra cash. I did a tutor lesson on Tuesday so 25 in.

I have done my banking and we have overpaid/ saved 1,197 this month. 203 short of my monthly target BUT i have had some great news about summer work - I should get 4 weeks of live in students this year.

Still no news on OHs business and so I can't turn down 'easy' income like that. If OH is not working he can do all the cleaning and cooking for me that month. We are going to treat it like a staycation for 4 weeks of the summer holidays - do more things around here, and then go away the last two weeks of the holidays, probably camping/glamping.

Right, after my recent 2 weeks of dilly-dallying and major upset I'm feeling the need for renewed energy and commitment to my plans.

Have a cheap weekend planned - Party (present from store) football class 3 and swimming 5. No spending on anything else.

Tasks:

1)Restart exercise plan - go back to exercises that don't irritate my back. Yawn.
    2)Eat less.
    3) Screens off at 9pm
    4)Menu plan and eat up what we have.
    5)finish cleaning tasks for the week
    6)Redo weekly plan and stick to the routine that works.
    7)Clear green to do list in order of importance

To think about later:

- Plan Summer staycation.
    - Plan summer camping trip.
    - Plan October travel incase we go for it.
    - Plan Christmas travel incase we go for it.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    themadvix
    What a stressful time that must have been EG - glad DS2 is okay though and on the mend.

Considering you claim to have lost focus, I think 1,197 OP'd/saved this month is super progress! Good news about the students over the summer.

Hope you're having a good weekend!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 1st May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Had a lovely weekend thank you. Had a few fairly difficult couple of days and think I have cracked what to do on a bad day, completekybrefuce my expectations of myself

-eat sensibly
    - stay hydrated
    - get a good sleep

That's it, everything else can wait. It's better than totally losing the plot. This way I'll pick things up tomorrow.

So I'm quite worried about ds2, he has been mentioning things that make me thing he's going through a little phase of worrying. Lots of tears and concerns about lots of things. It's always been a problem with sports -worrying that he won't win -totally hates competitions of any kind. But now it's other things all of a sudden -the bus, school, football camp he went to last summer, he doesn't think they'll be as kind this summer... I'm not sure but I just need to keep an eye on him, so that he doesn't become a worrier.

He doesn't want to go to his football team anymore. I can't make him go, and I can't make him like it. It's too competitive for him. He's only five so I'm hoping it's just a phase. He is really good so it's a shame, and it was really quite well priced too. Now he has no activities afte school, would rather not go to school or anything really just wants to stay at home (not to watch tv or anything / that's limited) but just cause he's worried.

I've tried talking through his worries with him, tried lots of strategies but they don't work. Talked to school too and they are trying their best. Hopefully it will pass.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st May 18, 9:46 PM
    • 56,767 Posts
    • 230,850 Thanks
    beanielou
    Our children are such a worry.
    REally hope that things improve soon.
    So hard for you both
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 2nd May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,476 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Scary about DS but glad it wasn't anything serious and he's feeling better. Hope your backs okay?

As for worrying I think it must be a phase some littles go through. My youngest is a bit younger at 4 and obviously some of her worries come from her needs. BUT she does over think things.. for example she won't dress up for school because someone might laugh at her etc. I think you're doing everything you can and it will pass with reassurance x
    Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 2nd May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,553 Thanks
    Courgette
    He's so little and they go through so many changes. A few weeks from now this could have all blown over. Hang in there, you're doing amazingly
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off
    Mortgage 1: 95,000 78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): 83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): 3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 4th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks for the replies. Yes he is still so little and perhaps he'll grow out of it. He went along with us to a golf open night and had a go at a few things, that was good. Certainly not going out and buying golf clubs for him though!

Benefits of him not being at football is 15 less subs/month and about 70 miles less driving for me per week. Also frees up family time on a Friday and Sunday afternoon. On paper I should be happy he's giving up!
    Last edited by earthgirl; 04-05-2018 at 1:42 PM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 4th May 18, 1:55 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Frugal wins:
    My veg plants are alive and I am hoping to move everything on in the veg patch this weekend
    Cleaning up-to-date
    55 in from an old chain the OH found in his tool box.
    Managed to swap a water bottle lid that had broken, with the store
    Managed presents from store for 2 birthdays

I also didn!!!8217;t spend any money on a birthday on a spur of the moment thing !!!8211; I!!!8217;m glad !!!8211; I made the right choice.
    As a family we really need to come together and work hard to get rid of our mortgage debt. Things are not looking good for OHs business and we need to tighten the purse strings if possible and really focus on saving every pound we have, and getting the best value when we do need to spend.
    Opportunities:
    Finish my to do lists
    Be more efficient at work
    Get veg patch producing and saving us cash
    Have fun for free/cheap at the weekend
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 5th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    A great nsd. Football class paid for By a friends dad to pay me back for something. Free comunity event with lunch was lovely, and free event at a local country park this afternoon. No swimming -no time. Lovely bbq tonight as the weather got nice.

Did my few hours early morning tuition at full pay which is great.

Tomorrow ds1 has a football match, ds2 a party (present from store). Planning some veg patch work in the afternoon followed by tea at parents in law. Will call in to lidlll and see their wine offers whilst at party tomorrow.

One obvious saving would be to cut back wine again.

Also think a regular early morning would benefit me as well
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 7,680 Posts
    • 57,969 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I took a leaf out of your book and started getting up a little earlier in the week, and doing 10mins on headspace, still giving me plenty of time before having to wake dd. It helps that dh is up at 6 and gone by 6.30 most days, so I can get up at 6.20 and do my stretching, then settle once he's gone. I'm naturally a morning person, so it suits me.
    NST September Sunshine #4; NSD 8/21; Ex 8/21 ; craft 7 (121); remove 32 (621)
    2018 Pay off: 3437; 2
    018 sell 49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage 19,614 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 6th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Sounds good apple. I think I just need to get up at the same time every morning so I don't feel tired on the days i have to get up at 6.30.

Although ds1 cried his eyes out at the party for a couple of hours because there were games etc he said he enjoyed it. It's excruciating to watch I feel so helpless. I went to check out the wine offers and the minimum unit prices have made it impossible to buy my normal level of wine, it's gone up by 1.25 per bottle. Nanny state gone a step too far in my opinion. Hope it doesn't put the pubs etc more under pressure. I can bulk buy when visiting Mum but I don't like having lots of alcohol in the house.

I could just do with nothing else going up in price now!

Had a lovely day. Bought a few bits for a family bbq tomorrow so 58 spent on groceries to last me from Friday to Friday. Shopping day going to be a Friday now. Kids have just played all afternoon in the garden. Picnic tea outside using up odd things was great and I'm going to do this every week. Didn't go to mil for tea in the end.

Veg patch jobs half done, rhubarb and strawberries looking good. Fingers crossed!
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 29,739 Posts
    • 171,476 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Have a lovely time at the barbecue today like you, my rhubarb is looking good, I meant to pull a stick yesterday, must do that today.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 7th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Mine is no where near picking but looking healthy. Such a late start this year!

I have decided to take action with ds2 and his anxieties over taking part in things. I've broken down the things he is scared of into 4 and made a star chart. He is so petrified of taking part he wouldn't even think about doing it but I've talked him round to trying. I'm just going to start with a board game. Star for taking part, not worrying about losing, staying happy and a star for having fun too. He is saving up for football stickers and a new school bag (I'd have to get him that anyway but he doesn't know that!). Feeling much more positive about this now that he feels we believe he can do it and we have a plan - hopefully he'll be on the road to success soon poor mite. It's a phase that's lasted about 3 years but is now worse than ever. Not even thinking about sports day yet

New bbq cover bought with amazon vouchers from Shopndcsn. Ds3 needs a new ps3 controller but he'll have to save up for that.

Money saving/making:
    Switched all heaters off apart from Lodger's.

To do
    Going to make crispie cakes, pasta sauce and my lunches.
    Wash car and tidy
    Cleaning tasks for week (saves on paying a cleaner)
    Ditto gardening and gardener
    Finish planting veg in veg patch
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I've been busy doing a lot of research into travel, one of the important parts of our not to distant future I hope!

I have done a lot of research into different cites/counties/ places and temperature and weather conditions. Places to visit with children at which ages etc. I have spreadsheets with approximate budgets and preferred accommodation ready to go now!

It looks like we will go for an australia road trip Easter 2021. I'm so excited about this!

I'm not sure if we should be looking at doing some European trips before brexit?

In other news:

Wealth- have a new tutee this week do 50 in from tutoting this week.

Life well lived- when will the rain go? We have had some nice family time, a games night and a sports night.

This weekend I plan to have a cheap day out at the free tennis/swimming at a local leisure club that normally costs a lot. Sunday I'm taking my Fil to a football match.

To keep things moving in the right direction:
    -do 2nd job sat and sun
    - clear to do list
    - get back to good routines

Weekly shop was 28. Will still need a top up shop but should come in under 40 this week.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 56,767 Posts
    • 230,850 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your weekend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 13th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Thanks beanie, I hope yours was good too! Makes a difference having people willing you on.

Very cheap weekend had. 7 spent on the boys haircuts.tsther than buying bbq good I made koftas on Saturday, they are lovely and I'll be making them again!

Today - Taking Fil and kids to Football match was free as it was with season tickets going spare. Nothing spent on snacks as I packed some.

Have been through cupboards and freezer and have a list of random things to use up. I've started today and have made lunches that Include a cauliflower sweet corn and peanut salad, a Dahl with broccoli, and some rescued salad and chicken wings.

I've just decided that making salads every day, whilst it suits me because I have them ready to go each day, isn't helping me lose weight as I'm still not feeling full. I am going to try and have a concerted effort to cut out more of the bad stuff (sugar and alcohol) but have s diet that's a bit more filling. Might go some wraps /sandwich thins instead of just salad so I'm not ravenous by 3pm. I'm going to weigh myself every Monday -I have 1srone to lose- I'm 8 st 7, but 5ft.

Also big push on the exercise, gave my gym clothes and weights ready for the morning as my back is a little better.

On money news, we have decided not to go away in October, but to get s new garden fence. Still hoping to go away at Christmas 2018, summer of 2020, and Easter of 2021.

Life well lived- I'm using the time when I normally flop with tiredness after I've got kids to bed to do one more hour of "something" ( cleaning, weeding, decluttering, making myself look more presentable etc) which makes me feel like I'm not drowning in "stuff to do". It's going well.

I love living here so much. Summer makes me see it with fresh eyes. When I can I'm going to try and take my first cup of tea with my planner on the patio. Love feeling so connected to the world (doesn't happpen in winter as I want to hide away!)
    Last edited by earthgirl; 13-05-2018 at 9:49 PM.
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 17th May 18, 7:18 AM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 23,796 Thanks
    earthgirl
    So things feel like they are changing very fast, and not for the good always!

Positive things that have happened:
    - realised how much I love my job
    - glorious weather
    - doing something between 8-9 has made life much better (one night just chatted to oh, had a great time, would normally just zone out)
    - 3 exercise sessions completed
    - emailed a questionnaire for a 10 amazon voucher which I've already applied to my account
    - 10 year anniversary on mse!

Negatives/areas to improve
    - one fall out with oh which got me so mad I couldn't sleep. Need to walk away early when he is like this. He may be argumentative more due to more stress with his business.
    - oh business a shell, selling assets this week and oh resisting any talk of future income.
    - realised we can't spare the money to go on holiday this year. This smarts as I am working so hard for this (love travel and holidays). We have a lodger, I work 7 days by teaching at weekends but it will now mostly be used for monthly family expenses.
    - tiny bit aggrieved that oh gets a holiday with his pals but it's already paid for. He has been stressed out so it will be good for him and me and the kids can plod on.
    - my favourite tutee has moved, she'll be back in October, so I'm 100 month down.

I've booked a 3 night caravan holiday near inverness to see the highlands (220) as we always said we would go, at the end of the summer holidays.The beaches and dolphins up there are supposed to be great and free, and the theme park up there is good and grandparents can buy the ticket for their birthday present.

So I'm going to have to reduce my goal of paying off 1000 off the mortgage and saving 400 per month. It isn't feasible with all that is going on. Instead I need to focus on building on the positives and having as much fun and making as many happy memories as I can.

- all of us staying healthy and happy (incl MH, this transition to one wage will be tough)
    - having fun with good value and free activities - do some holiday activities here!
    - focus on what is going well - enjoy the garden, the weather, I love my job etc

I was crossing things of my to do list I've had forever, one was a life book with funeral plans etc. I am mse through and through as I could understand all the questions about the type of coffin handles etc and said, just get the cheapest one. Then when it came to food after I thought a potluck buffet would be so much easier and cheaper!

We will kick this year into touch as I'm just naturally penny pinching!!
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 17th May 18, 7:34 AM
    • 6,903 Posts
    • 43,975 Thanks
    Pooky
    Is OH looking for another job now or will he take some time out?

We've opted for direct cremation when we die, neither of us are religious and both hate the enforced timescales with burial and cremation. So our bodies will go to which ever crematorium has availability and there will be no service, no one attends and no ashes afterwards. They do that with a cardboard coffin which really appeals to my thrifty side too.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 56,767 Posts
    • 230,850 Thanks
    beanielou
    Is OH looking for another job now or will he take some time out?

We've opted for direct cremation when we die, neither of us are religious and both hate the enforced timescales with burial and cremation. So our bodies will go to which ever crematorium has availability and there will be no service, no one attends and no ashes afterwards. They do that with a cardboard coffin which really appeals to my thrifty side too.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    Blimey.
    I did not know that you could do that.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin