PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Freeholder Demandind Ground Rent Arrears

Hello everyone, thanks for checking out my post.

I’ve been reading a lot about ground rent arrears but I can’t find anything regarding when a new freeholding company takes over in this manner.

Basically, we bought a house in 2014 as a leasehold and the company with the freehold fell apart shortly after so we have never paid ground rent.

Recently, another company has bought the freehold and sent a letter stating that they understand there is ground rent arrears which they will shortly issue a demand for.

It seems clear from the letter we received that they want to be paid ground rent from when we moved in, but they’ve only owned the freehold for a matter of months.

Can they do this?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't see why not.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes of course they can.

You owe the ground rent.

The new company has taken on the assets, debts, rights and obligations of the old company.

As soon as you receive a valid demand for payment you should pay (or face penalties).
  • Thanks, I thought that would be the case but wanted to check to be sure.

Just to be clear though; they haven’t bought the old company - they’ve just bought the freehold.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    and with the freehold come the rights to claim any funds owed.
  • Ok, that’s great. Thanks very much for your time and the information! Have a good weekend :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure