Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 12th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Giggidy
    SSL certificates - Let's encrypt
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    SSL certificates - Let's encrypt 12th Jan 18 at 10:00 PM
    I have a website that's in the final stages of being built by a developer using Wordpress with WooCommerce. It is an e-commerce site for my subscription box business, so will have recurring monthly payments and therefore I need to secure it. I use Vidahost cloud hosting and they charge 46.80 for a SSL certificate, or installing a third party one for 22.80. Alternatively, you can install a Lets Encrypt SSL certificate free of charge. Is Lets Encrypt as secure as the other paid for options?
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    In terms of encrypting communications it is, they all use the same algorithms. You don't get things like extended validation (you won't get that on cheap certificates from the well known brands either) or wildcards though. I've been using one to secure my IMAP server for the last couple of years without problems.

Be aware that their certificates last three months, not some multiple of years. They have a tool (certbot) that auto-renews them, if you can install extra software on your site.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 13th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    Would I need to physically renew it every 3 months, if I am not able to install the certbot?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    Yes, because the certificates only have three month duration, so you'd need to request a new one and install it. Do you value the time it would take you at more than 6/quarter?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 14th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 14th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    By coincidence
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/13/lets_encrypt_certificate_drama/
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 4,273 Posts
    • 9,626 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    I've never liked SNI. TLS works at a level above HTTP so name based virtual hosting should never be possible for secure sites.
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 14th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    • 14th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    Thanks for the info, but I have no idea what that means, can you explain it to me in laymen's terms please?
    • martinbsp
    • By martinbsp 15th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    martinbsp
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    That response in itself should indicate that you'd be better of spending a bit more and getting the certificate installed by someone on your behalf.
    • ehlo
    • By ehlo 15th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 378 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    ehlo
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 15th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    Would I need to physically renew it every 3 months, if I am not able to install the certbot?
    Originally posted by Giggidy
    Yes, because the certificates only have three month duration, so you'd need to request a new one and install it. Do you value the time it would take you at more than 6/quarter?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Giggidy, looking at Vidahosts website, it seems as though they handle the auto-renewal for you. This it what any competent company should do for Lets Encrypt .

The developer you're working with should be able to provide further details if you need them.
    • Giggidy
    • By Giggidy 15th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Giggidy
    Giggidy, looking at Vidahosts website, it seems as though they handle the auto-renewal for you. This it what any competent company should do for Lets Encrypt .

The developer you're working with should be able to provide further details if you need them.
    Originally posted by ehlo
    So far Vidahost's service has been fantastic! They helped me set Let's encrypt up on my website, the developer just has to force the https redirect I was told
    • tronator
    • By tronator 16th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    tronator
    Be aware that their certificates last three months, not some multiple of years. They have a tool (certbot) that auto-renews them, if you can install extra software on your site.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    If a company offers Let's Encrypt then they will most certainly have the certbot installed and let it renew the certificates automatically. Otherwise what would be the point of offering LE?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

8,830Users online

Martin's Twitter