Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hjf12345
    • By hjf12345 12th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    hjf12345
    What car to buy my mum?
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    What car to buy my mum? 12th Jan 18 at 9:30 PM
    My mum (aged 73) has been driving a 2.0 litre Ford Focus for the past 10 years. It keeps breaking down and costing her lots of money to fix.

I’m going to buy her a replacement and have a budget of £6k. She’s adamant she doesn’t want a ‘granny car’, such as a VW Up, so I’m considering a supermini - e.g. Ford Fiesta or Skoda Fabia. A used car with relatively low mileage.

Ideally it would be economical to run, to fix and to tax. She does a fair amount of motorway driving as well as around town. It has to be an automatic, and I’m slightly nervous about her having anything more punchy than a 1.4l engine. She’s not as confident behind the wheel as she used to be.

I don’t know much about cars and was hoping someone could give me some good advice on what to go for?

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • hjf12345
    • By hjf12345 13th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    hjf12345
    Thanks for the advice everyone. If I can persuade her that the Honda Jazz isn!!!8217;t a granny car then that seems like a popular choice.

I!!!8217;ve always thought Ford cars were relatively cheap to repair because of their popularity, and therefore their familiarity with mechanics and the availability of spare parts. Is this true also of the Japanese cars now? E.g. Honda and Toyota.
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 13th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    Japanese cars score high on reliability, but can be expensive to repair. Parts can be far more expensive than for European cars.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 14th Jan 18, 2:08 AM
    • 26,409 Posts
    • 319,916 Thanks
    davemorton
    Another vote for the Jazz here, does my mother well, on to her second one.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 14th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    littlerock
    I have a Skodia Fabia. Very happy with it.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 14th Jan 18, 10:34 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    Another vote for a Fabia, nice cars, well equipped and cheap to run.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 14th Jan 18, 11:35 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    NO ! get the VW Up ! it s brill, its no granny car.My company leased 9000 of them on meter reading duties and we really give small cars a hard life.
    its cheaper cousin the Skoda Citigo is just as good
    she will love this car. Its has the best gearbox in the world, does 60 mpg with a light foot.everything feels spot on with this car AND it cruises easily at 80 mph despite its 3 cylinder engine and feels very unstressed at tha speed.
    It is easily the nicest small car I ve used and I had 3 years with the Citigo,small car of the year in 2015 and up at the top in reliability in What Car mag.
    Last edited by House Martin; 14-01-2018 at 11:38 PM.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Chances are her Focus keeps breaking down because she just uses it to do very short journeys around town. Anything you get will end up being exactly the same.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Did you even read the OP at all?
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 15th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I have a Volkswagen Up! I never realised they were 'Granny cars' I'm in my thirties but most of the people I see driving them are young guys. It was surprisingly expensive to insure which has led me to believe they are popular with 'boy racer' types.

Mine has better visibility than any car I've driven before, especially for reversing, so in that sense it might suit an older person. It's not in any way sluggish either.

Or what about a Corsa OP? I loved my old corsa. It lasted 14 years with very little spent on repairs. Dirt cheap to insure too.
    • hjf12345
    • By hjf12345 15th Jan 18, 3:59 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    hjf12345
    Hmmm, you!!!8217;ve all given me too much choice! really appreciate everyone!!!8217;s help. I think I!!!8217;ve whittled down to the Yaris, Jazz, Fabia or Up (take it back what I said about a granny car!)

She does quite a lot of motorway driving so the issue with a 1.0 litre engine - like the Up - is being able to handle faster speeds. I!!!8217;ll go read some more reviews... thanks again
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 15th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 3,838 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/special-fiat-supa-saver-offers

If buying a Fiat stick to what they excel at and that is small cars. The Fiat 1.2 Pop would suit her just fine. (She may not agree though).

They have a solid non interference engine that can take a lot of abuse.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 15th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I have a potential relative who worked in the Up! factory near Zwickau in Germany (somewhat upgraded since the Trabant days!). He wouldn't touch them. He used to watch them glue them together.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    If she's lacking a bit of confidence on the motorway, the last thing she needs is an underpowered car!!

I can't think of anything worse - not having enough oomph to get out of trouble, stuck with the lorries in lane 1.

Get the woman a decent sized car with a decent amount of power. Then she may well find her confidence returning. She's only 73.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 20,345 Posts
    • 16,121 Thanks
    agrinnall
    A car that I don't think has been mentioned but might be a candidate is the Suzuki Swift, my sister is on her 3rd and really likes them, I don't believe she's ever had a problem with any of them.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 15th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,946 Posts
    • 4,354 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I have a potential relative who worked in the Up! factory near Zwickau in Germany (somewhat upgraded since the Trabant days!). He wouldn't touch them. He used to watch them glue them together.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Most cars are glued together (as are aeroplanes). I personally have used 5 different types of adhesive in the assembly of some quite high end cars.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,620 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I have a Volkswagen Up! I never realised they were 'Granny cars' I'm in my thirties but most of the people I see driving them are young guys. It was surprisingly expensive to insure which has led me to believe they are popular with 'boy racer' types.

Mine has better visibility than any car I've driven before, especially for reversing, so in that sense it might suit an older person. It's not in any way sluggish either.

Or what about a Corsa OP? I loved my old corsa. It lasted 14 years with very little spent on repairs. Dirt cheap to insure too.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    My OH has a Corsa and although it's got a smaller engine than my Clio it pics up faster - in fact I find my Clio heavy to drive if I've been driving his Corsa.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 10,687 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Toyota yaris 1.3 auto. Cracking town car.
    Originally posted by Jorell00
    I disagree, Mrs AJ has one and the gearshift is dire.
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 15th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    The auto boxes on all small Japanese cars are appalling.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 15th Jan 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    My OH has a Corsa and although it's got a smaller engine than my Clio it pics up faster - in fact I find my Clio heavy to drive if I've been driving his Corsa.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Depends which Corsa Corsa C is nippy and light. Corsa D is fatter and heavier, and is a lumbering dim witted sloth, at least with the 1.2 engine 1.4 would be better I think .I own a Corsa D .Its a 2007 and has just passed its 7 th MOT on the trot with no fails so I m happy on that score
    I drove the Skoda Citigo for 3 years as a company fleet car and found it absolutely a dream compared to the Corsa D and the VW Up is the same car with better paint and interior and probably better resale value
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 15th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    If she likes the Focus get her a newer focus. Simple
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

294Posts Today

3,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin