Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r1ghtp155ed
    • By r1ghtp155ed 12th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    r1ghtp155ed
    Faulty induction hob
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    Faulty induction hob 12th Jan 18 at 8:52 PM
    Hi ,
    !!!128513; First post and looking for some advice.
    We bought a kitchen just over 2 years ago on finance and my induction hob just gave up a couple of days after manufacturer warranty expired. So i called the kitchen company who then offered to sell us another hob !!!128514;!!!128514; We were not happy with this response so decided to contact the finance company to complain this has been ongoing for nearly three months batting emails back and forth !!!128545;. Can anyone advise on our rights here? Surely there is a time limit for complaints to be dealt with? Surely the hob has to be fit for the term of the finance agreement? Should I just buy a new one and cut my losses? Our diet has been awful over the three month and could probably have bought a new hob with the money we've spent on takeaways!!!128533;

Sorry for the long post but trying to get as much detail as poosible. Any help appreciated !!!128513;
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jan 18, 10:16 PM
    • 17,268 Posts
    • 18,371 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:16 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:16 PM
    Surely there is a time limit for complaints to be dealt with?
    Originally posted by r1ghtp155ed
    Surely it depends on whether the dialogue is ongoing and how complex the complaint is?
    Surely the hob has to be fit for the term of the finance agreement?
    Surely not. If you took finance over 20 years, it would be unreasonable to believe the product should last that long. The life of a product has no direct connection to the financing you choose.

Our diet has been awful over the three month and could probably have bought a new hob with the money we've spent on takeaways
    Surely there are alternatives to takeaways. Portable hobs, ovens, microwaves?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 7,701 Posts
    • 7,425 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:38 PM
    You have up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller.
    You may however be asked to prove that the problem is due to an inherent fault.

With that proof you can expect either a repair, refund or a replacement. Effectively the seller chooses which remedy.
    If a refund is decided upon it can be reduced to take account of the use you have had.

Another direction might be with the finance company.
    If the finance was taken out specifically for this purchase, then a claim against the finance co under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is a possibility.
    Have a read of MSE's Section 75 article for further details of that.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 7,916 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    You first post of call OP is to get an engineer out to diagnose the fault. What makes you think you'd need to buy a new one?
    • zoob
    • By zoob 13th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    zoob
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    You first post of call OP is to get an engineer out to diagnose the fault. What makes you think you'd need to buy a new one?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Yes agree with above, whatís wrong with the hob apart from not working and have you established thatís its an inherent fault from new or just broken down?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin