Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 12th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Problem Tenant in Northern Ireland
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    Problem Tenant in Northern Ireland 12th Jan 18 at 8:26 PM
    Hi All,
    This is being posted on behalf of my Granddad and I am not sure what to advise him.

He is retired and rented his house out for a number of years to a man on benefits, the first few years there were no issues, however last year and so far this year rent has fallen behind by over three months. The continual excuse seems to have been that their benefits have been frozen but it would be corrected soon. Recently my grandfather has contacted the benefit's office who have confirmed that benefits have never been frozen at any point and there should never have been any shortfall. Granddad was told he can get the payments sent to his own account instead as it appears the tenant has been stockpiling his housing benefits and they are due to leave within the next few weeks.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will the housing department allow the rent to be paid into his account? They have advised on the phone that they will but he is worried about tenant interference.

2. How much of the missing rent can he expect to get and will the benefit's office be asking questions as to why rent was not being paid and instead stockpiled?

3. With the tenant due to move (obviously my Granddad wants this) and the money potentially being diverted into his account, will this scupper their leaving?

Any help would be good as I know very little of the Northern Ireland benefit's system.
Page 1
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 13th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    Yes He can ask for The money To be paid Direct to his Account I would do It sooner rather than later ,How do you know the tenant is about to leave ? I would think that unless your Grandfather goes to the small claims he has Little chance of seeing the Arrears.
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/spottylegs
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 15th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 15th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 15th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    I had a similar situation recently .Both tenants lost their jobs .I told them in week one they needed to claim HB .Week 6 he finally filled in a HB form .NIHE are going to pay me from week 8 but may backdate for another 4 weeks .Female tenant moved to Belgium. I told the male tenant I wanted him out by last Friday ,he agreed .Friday afternoon I had the locks changed .I am still waiting to hear from NIHE how much HB I will get .Then I can claim their deposit .At present I am owed 10 week rent .On the plus side i have a new tenant lined up .If rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord if you ask them.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • getzls
    • By getzls 16th Jan 18, 1:47 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    getzls
    • 16th Jan 18, 1:47 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 1:47 AM
    Test post. Sorry.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 16th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    I had a similar situation recently .Both tenants lost their jobs .I told them in week one they needed to claim HB .Week 6 he finally filled in a HB form .NIHE are going to pay me from week 8 but may backdate for another 4 weeks .Female tenant moved to Belgium. I told the male tenant I wanted him out by last Friday ,he agreed .Friday afternoon I had the locks changed .I am still waiting to hear from NIHE how much HB I will get .Then I can claim their deposit .At present I am owed 10 week rent .On the plus side i have a new tenant lined up .If rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord if you ask them.
    Originally posted by Old Git

Thanks, I'm a bit annoyed that this has happened to my Granddad and is almost being backed by the state. He spoke to the Benefit office yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked when he first raised concerns in March 2017 and several times after this why something wasn't done. The Benefit's office advised he may have been speaking to someone at the head office rather than regionally who failed to pass on the message. The head office also didn't make any notes, they have said that they may offer a goodwill gesture in this circumstance but this will follow an investigation.
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 16th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 16th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Thanks, I'm a bit annoyed that this has happened to my Granddad and is almost being backed by the state. He spoke to the Benefit office yesterday for the umpteenth time and asked when he first raised concerns in March 2017 and several times after this why something wasn't done. The Benefit's office advised he may have been speaking to someone at the head office rather than regionally who failed to pass on the message. The head office also didn't make any notes, they have said that they may offer a goodwill gesture in this circumstance but this will follow an investigation.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    you can start eviction procedure at 2 months in arrears .No way should he have let this on on since March 2017 . You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.
    Last edited by Old Git; 16-01-2018 at 5:52 PM.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 16th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 16th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.
    Good luck with that!

Me! Bad experirences wih Benefit renters

Never again

Last edited by ballyblack; 16-01-2018 at 7:07 PM.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 17th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 2,713 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 17th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 17th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    Is that really how the benefit system works?

I'm not surprised that a governmental body may have made errors but their apparent lack of interest in correcting thins for your relative is shocking.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 17th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 17th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    You can go to the small claims court to recover rent but you need their address if they move before then.
    What happens if they’ve no money?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 17th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    The individual seems to have left, taken their keys with them and left the house in an absolute mess - Granddad is currently trying to gain access -such a terrible situation.
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 17th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    Old Git
    What happens if they’ve no money?
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    you can agree a payment plan .
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 17th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    Old Git
    The individual seems to have left, taken their keys with them and left the house in an absolute mess - Granddad is currently trying to gain access -such a terrible situation.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    sounds like your granddad didnt have keys ? Did they have a deposit
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 17th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 4,297 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    Old Git
    Is that really how the benefit system works?

I'm not surprised that a governmental body may have made errors but their apparent lack of interest in correcting thins for your relative is shocking.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    The benefit system works as it should .The problem is not the system its the tenants. If the rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord direct ,but only if the landlord asks .

I have one tenant receiving HB ,at my request the HB is paid to her .I know her family situation .She received HB on a wednesday ,Income support Thursday ,Child benefit Friday .Wednesday money she uses to buy electric ,groceries ect .I get paid Friday.I get a text from the bank as soon as its paid .This happens every two weeks. The money has never been late .
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 17th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    you can agree a payment plan .
    Fifty pence a week for the next 27 years? He’s got no money.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 18th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    sounds like your granddad didnt have keys ? Did they have a deposit

Deposit yes but it looks like at some point the locks were changed.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 19th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 2,713 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Cotta
    The benefit system works as it should .The problem is not the system its the tenants. If the rent is 6 weeks in arrears NIHE will pay the landlord direct ,but only if the landlord asks .

I have one tenant receiving HB ,at my request the HB is paid to her .I know her family situation .She received HB on a wednesday ,Income support Thursday ,Child benefit Friday .Wednesday money she uses to buy electric ,groceries ect .I get paid Friday.I get a text from the bank as soon as its paid .This happens every two weeks. The money has never been late .

It doesn't seem right that six weeks of arrears have to be accumulated before anything can be done. That means that the landlord is six weeks out of pocket before he even sneezes.
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 19th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    duggan1
    It doesn't seem right that six weeks of arrears have to be accumulated before anything can be done. That means that the landlord is six weeks out of pocket before he even sneezes.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    It isn't really the states job to manage the relationship between a private landlord and a private tenant though if we are being fair. If a tenant isn't keeping up with the rent there are legal procedures for recovering the property.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 22nd Jan 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,713 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Cotta
    It isn't really the states job to manage the relationship between a private landlord and a private tenant though if we are being fair. If a tenant isn't keeping up with the rent there are legal procedures for recovering the property.
    Originally posted by duggan1

They aren't effective though, if someone falls behind they are taken to the small claim's court where they are bound to pay back £5 per week and after two weeks stop paying.
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 22nd Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    duggan1
    Those are risks of doing business though. I'm not sure what the alternative is aside from forcing housing benefit to go straight to the landlord.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 22nd Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Those are risks of doing business though. I'm not sure what the alternative is aside from forcing housing benefit to go straight to the landlord.
    Originally posted by duggan1
    Publicly owned housing? It worked all right for many years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

381Posts Today

4,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin