Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 12th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 102Thanks
    Korkyb
    Daughter just passed test - No claims question.
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    Daughter just passed test - No claims question. 12th Jan 18 at 7:38 PM
    Hi all

My 18 year old daughter just passed her test today (Hurray).

Now have to get her insured for her wee car (Boo).

She has held learner insurance for the last 11 & a bit months which now automatically ends due to her no longer being a learner.

I don't suppose the fact that she has been insured for that length of time counts as no claims in any way? (i.e. you cant claim for 11 1/2 month no claims allowance...).

Guess I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 35,923 Posts
    • 20,196 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    Yes the answer is as you feared, no NCD for any policy that didn't last a full policy year
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 12th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Korkyb
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    Ah well.

I should have thought of this when booking the date of her test.

She will have to repay me with many, many pick ups from the pub :-)

Cheers!
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 15th Feb 18, 2:26 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Korkyb
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:26 AM
    • 15th Feb 18, 2:26 AM
    Thought I'd update the above in case it helps anyone in a similar situation.

I phoned to inform the Learner Insurance company that my daughter had passed her test & that I had taken out a new policy (with another company) to cover her as a new driver.

They said they would just let the old policy expire as opposed to cancelling it immediately.

Once it expired they sent an email confirming the policy had ended and also included proof of 1 years no claims.

Chancing my luck I contacted the new insurer (policy had been running for about 4 weeks at this point) & explained that my daughter had just been sent the proof of 1 year no claims.

They asked for me to forward this to them and to my surprise they added the 1 year no claims onto her policy & reduced the premium slightly.

Happy days..
    Last edited by Korkyb; 15-02-2018 at 2:34 AM. Reason: ....
    • CareyBrown
    • By CareyBrown 16th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CareyBrown
    • 16th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 16th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    Hey, that is really great, and thank you for sharing it.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 16th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 588 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 16th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    Well the original policy didn't need to end when she passed the test; you just needed to inform the insurer she had passed her test and pay any extra premium for the remainder of the policy; at least that's what usually happens.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 35,923 Posts
    • 20,196 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 9:00 PM
    Well the original policy didn't need to end when she passed the test; you just needed to inform the insurer she had passed her test and pay any extra premium for the remainder of the policy; at least that's what usually happens.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Not really

If you have a learner policy then the name gives it away! They don't cover "novice" newly qualified full licence holders

And many mainstream motor insurers happy to cover you whilst on a provisional learner licence won't entertain covering a brand new full licence holder
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 27th Feb 18, 5:52 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Korkyb
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:52 AM
    • 27th Feb 18, 5:52 AM
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond

As Quentin said the terms of the original "learner insurance" were that as soon as the learner passes their test the insurance becomes null and void.

https://www.fluxdirect.co.uk/products/learner-driver/

"Cover automatically stops when the policyholder passes their driving test"

Last edited by Korkyb; 27-02-2018 at 5:53 AM. Reason: ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

688Posts Today

6,190Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin