Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 12th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 7,378Posts
    • 64,993Thanks
    mimi1234
    Address Not Known
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    Address Not Known 12th Jan 18 at 6:27 PM
    Hi all,

Sold an item. Sent it signed for 2nd class. Item came back to me 3 weeks later saying "address not known".

The buyer has messaged asking where it is and if I can send another one or give a refund. If I send out again (not to the incorrect address), do I pay for the additional postage?

Thanks all x x x
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    Did you check the address before it was sent? Was it valid?

In essence, if the buyer doesn't have their item (hence the checks on addresses) then the seller is liable to give a full refund (you lose the postage).
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 12th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,378 Posts
    • 64,993 Thanks
    mimi1234
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    Did you check the address before it was sent? Was it valid?

In essence, if the buyer doesn't have their item (hence the checks on addresses) then the seller is liable to give a full refund (you lose the postage).
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I did check the address. It was valid. It's a huge solicitors firm in London.

This is the second time this has happened. I sent some chocolates to a friend of mine. They never arrived nor were they returned to me. I queried it and was told by RM that the address doesn't exist.

I don't mind losing the postage if a refund is given. That's fine.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 12th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Dox
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    If this is a major firm of solicitors and you sent it to their current address (even the big firms - e.g. CMS - move from time to time), ask Royal Mail why the address is 'unknown'. Could be the buyer failed to update their details.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 13th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    Before doing anything else, why not ask the buyer to confirm the address - if Royal Mail returned it needlessly, contact your local office and complain.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    Where did you check the address? As said above, have you asked why it was marked as "not known"?
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 14th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 7,378 Posts
    • 64,993 Thanks
    mimi1234
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    I checked it on Google but also on the Royal Mail address finder site.

I've not done anything since. I will phone Royal Mail tomorrrow.

I got another one returned to me yesterday too. It was a top I sold. On this one it said "not collected". I assume that means they tried to deliver it, left a card and then returned it to me when it was not picked up. The buyer has asked for it to be sent again. Do I just go ahead and post it out again and I am liable for the postage?

Thanks to the folks that have replied.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 14th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Dox
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    I got another one returned to me yesterday too. It was a top I sold. On this one it said "not collected". I assume that means they tried to deliver it, left a card and then returned it to me when it was not picked up. The buyer has asked for it to be sent again. Do I just go ahead and post it out again and I am liable for the postage?
    Originally posted by mimi1234
    I'd send the buyer a message explaining what you've said above, confirming you are willing to resend at your own expense (and I'm afraid that is what ebay expects - but at least get some credit for doing so!) but asking them to confirm they will definitely be available to take delivery or collect.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    I checked it on Google but also on the Royal Mail address finder site.
    The RM address finder is the one to go by if you are sending with RM. If the address is valid on there then you need to take it up with RM.

Legally you have to deliver the item to the buyer but there can be a number of reasons why the buyer didn't get the parcel - they may not have been carded - either way, in situations like this it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to take a photo of the parcel returns notice (inc their address) and message them. Explain you are willing to resend if they want to pay the postage again, or that you will cancel the sale if they'd rather. See what they say.
    • mimi1234
    • By mimi1234 14th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 7,378 Posts
    • 64,993 Thanks
    mimi1234
    Thanks DOX and THEONLYWAYISUP. I have sent them a photo of the package which clearly has the "did not collect" starred.

I shall see what they say and thanks again for your help.

x x x
    • Dox
    • By Dox 14th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Dox
    Legally you have to deliver the item to the buyer but there can be a number of reasons why the buyer didn't get the parcel - they may not have been carded - either way, in situations like this it wouldn't be unreasonable for you to take a photo of the parcel returns notice (inc their address) and message them. Explain you are willing to resend if they want to pay the postage again, or that you will cancel the sale if they'd rather. See what they say.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Sure fire way to get negative feedback - as you say, it's up to the seller to deliver. You can't insist they pay postage again and cancelling the sale is pretty pointless if they then re-order...
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Jan 18, 7:18 AM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,250 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Sure fire way to get negative feedback - as you say, it's up to the seller to deliver. You can't insist they pay postage again and cancelling the sale is pretty pointless if they then re-order...
    Originally posted by Dox
    It isn't a sure fire way to get a negative. I've done it on my private account and never had an adverse comment. Perhaps it's the way you are with your customers if you are getting adverse feedback in that situation.

You can not insist on the buyer paying again and in fact have twice I have said it is up to the seller to get the package to the buyer or cancel the sale.

Cancellation is always an option and stating it is "pretty pointless" is an odd comment. The seller may not relist; the seller can (and should) block a buyer where the address has been an issue; thus the buyer cannot re-order.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 33,550 Posts
    • 28,508 Thanks
    custardy
    On the address,did you have a dept. floor etc?
    Wondering if it hit reception and nobody knew who the person was.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,450Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin