Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tyler2406
    • By Tyler2406 12th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tyler2406
    Car insirance for hire purchase
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    Car insirance for hire purchase 12th Jan 18 at 6:11 PM
    Hi brand new to the site
    I'm really desperately looming for advice on behalf of my sister, she took out a car on hire purchase, she was having loads of issues with it to start off with but finally it's been running great. However a year on and someone drove into the side of her car. There were several witnesses and the old guy admitted he was at fault. Insirance paid for a courtesy car while hers is being assessed, however tonight she's received email stating her car is written off. She still owes thousands for the car and the insurance cover is no where near the amount she owes
    So basically wondering where she stands... She's had an accident that wasn't her fault, the old bloke is sitting pretty with his insurance payout and my sister is left without a car and massively in debt, she didn't take GAP insurance, she has 8 years no claims I guess she didn't think she'd need it, esp as it's a people carrier too so not likely to be stolen
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 18,776 Posts
    • 12,901 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    As long as she is getting a fair value for the car then not a lot she can do I am afraid. This is where gap insurance would have helped out.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • ConMan
    • By ConMan 13th Jan 18, 7:29 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    ConMan
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:29 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:29 AM
    As molerat said, your insurer/third party is only responsible for the market value of your vehicle. Unfortunately, the financial agreement that your sister pays has nothing to do with anyone else.

GAP insurance is what was required here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin