Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • dobicdk
    • By dobicdk 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Accidental Damage Cover?
    • #1
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    Accidental Damage Cover? 12th Jan 18 at 1:06 PM
    I bought two sets of wines glasses last week from House of Fraser. When I got home I put them to one side in their box. This week I was giving one of them as a present and opened the boxes. A glass in one box was broken. Am I able to take one box back to exchange either as a goodwill of the shop or as I paid with my credit card? I think the glasses were fine when I bought them and it happened on the journey home. Thanks.
Page 1
    • Norfolk_Jim
    • By Norfolk_Jim 12th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:09 PM
    I don't think any shop will feel obliged to do anything about you accidentally breaking your purchase. Did your credit card come with accidental damage insurance? I had one that had that once but I've not seen one in a long time. Were they like really expensive - maybe household cover would cover but unlikely for a fragile portable item
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    Certain AMEX cards come with such cover.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,678 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    Amex cards come with such cover but for "eligible purchases" as part of its buyer protection. Which eligible purchases are covered depends on the insurance T & Cs which will have been received with the card. Not much use if you didn't buy with an Amex card.

    My household contents insurance cover includes accidental damage for fixed glass in furniture and fittings and windows. Glassware is not specifically included but is not specifically excluded either. I suppose the operative word is "fixed". But no harm in checking your insurance policy if you have it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

  • Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling

  • Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

  • Follow Martin