Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jomc
    • By jomc 12th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 3Thanks
    jomc
    Help with tax return for foreign property rental
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:49 PM
    Help with tax return for foreign property rental 12th Jan 18 at 12:49 PM
    Hi
    My husband and I own a property in Ireland which we started renting out in 2017. I have been advised that as this is classed as income, we need to pay tax here in the UK. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help with before I have to seek help from a financial advisor/tax advisor. Thanks in advance:

I am a stay at home mum but my husband is in full time employment earning 25-30K. The helpline for self assessment advised we need to each fill out a tax return form (neither of us have experience with submitting a tax return so apologies if these questions sound daft).

Do we split the income we earn on the house in half and each fill out our form for 50%? I would imagine that I will end up not paying anything as it would be classed below the personal allowance? (we make the equivalent of 12k a year in rent before tax etc)

When I fill out my tax return in Ireland I am able to first deduct the amount of mortgage interest paid, house insurance and repairs etc. When I am doing the UK tax return can I do the same?

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 12th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    Who owns the property under Irish law? Where are you and your husband domiciled (or deemed domiciled)?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,594Posts Today

8,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin