Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • DJMitchell
    • By DJMitchell 12th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Accident payment
    • #1
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    Accident payment 12th Jan 18 at 12:40 PM

    Im hoping someone can point us in the right direction.

    My wife was involved in what appeared at the time to be a minor road accident almost a year ago.

    The accident wasnt her fault, the other party drove into the back of her at a junction. The force threw my wife against the roof, dislocated her wrist, caused a concussion and a back injury.

    The back injury required a number of physio sessions (all arranged and sorted by the other parties insurance company). She was also prescribed seriously strong painkillers which in turn caused a long term kidney issue!

    She has suffered psychological issues, is unable to drive any distance any more, suffers from anxiety and has been diagnosed by the insurance companies psychologist as suffering from PTSD.

    Additionally, she was unable to continue her business as it involved a lot of bending down, crawling around floors etc. She received an agreed payout for loss of earnings which was fair enough based on the earnings lost upto the date of the payout. She now has a different business which is nowhere near as profitable as her old one and we are finding it hard to make ends meet.

    Today the insurance company have made an offer of 5k which although would be very much needed seems low for what she has (and still is) suffering.

    She doesnt want to seem ungrateful or as some compensation grabber but 5k seems low to us for the pain and long term problems it has caused.

    Does anyone have any experience of this? does it sound about right?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 35,814 Posts
    • 20,062 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    Assuming you have a solicitor dealing with this - take their advice. They know all the facts.

    If you don't have your own solicitor then get one!
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 9,467 Posts
    • 4,710 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:52 PM

    ... 5k seems low to us for the pain and long term problems it has caused.

    Does anyone have any experience of this? does it sound about right?
    Originally posted by DJMitchell
    In my experience, without a very good legal team you will struggle to get the settlement you deserve.
    Last edited by missile; 12-01-2018 at 4:18 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Jlo31
    • By Jlo31 12th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    If your wife is struggling with ongoing health issues I would not be to quick to settle.

    Get a good personal injury solicitor and get their advice.

    Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,146Posts Today

5,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

  • Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

  • It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

  • Follow Martin