Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ms Brush
    • By Ms Brush 12th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 105Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Ms Brush
    Confused and got in a stressed mess
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    Confused and got in a stressed mess 12th Jan 18 at 11:59 AM
    Hi all

I got a PCN from MET Parking Services at Starbucks at Stansted in August. I initially followed the advice on the forum, and got as far as a refused appeal in early September and then I was ill with work related stress for a while, so this was left totally on the back burner. I didn't think I had been issued with a POPLA number, but it seems I was but missed it in my stressed out state.

Anyway, I am better now, and just come back from a 3 week holiday only to find that MET have now instructed Debt Recovery Plus who sent one letter while I was away, which I don't seem to have and I have received a "notice of intended court action" letter this morning. The charge has increased from originally 60, then to 100, and now 160.

Obviously I don't want to pay this, but equally I cant have them taking me to court!

I have tried following the threads, but I am so confused by the ackronyms and various threads I don't know where to start. Do I instruct a solicitor, or just pay up??

Thank you
Page 1
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 12th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 4,591 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    All over this forum it tells you that debt recovery companies are scammers and liars, don't contact them they can't do anything, come back only if you get real court papers.
    Hint these won't come from the idiots at DRP!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 12th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 18,019 Posts
    • 28,539 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    Lots of questions!

Firstly, don!!!8217;t get any further stressed because:

1. Debt Recovery Plus are debt collectors and can do nothing against you. All they can do is send you letters, they cannot send the boys round, they cannot clamp your car nor can they come and lift your TV. They most certainly cannot take you to court. Read up about debt crawlers in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4.

2. !!!8216;Notice of Intended Court Action!!!8217;. Anyone who doesn!!!8217;t pay DRP gets one of these. It is a meaningless template. The only way DRP earn any money is if they can get you to pay them. They work on a no win, no fee basis. The only organisation who can take you to court is MET. But if DRP pass your file back to MET to deal with, they have failed - and they get no money.

3. Will MET take you to court?

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/MET_Parking_Services.html

Well, you!!!8217;d be their first ever case. In all reality, it!!!8217;s most unlikely that they!!!8217;d pick you to cut their teeth on.

Do I instruct a solicitor, or just pay up??
    Neither. Firstly a sol will cost you more than MET are trying to gouge from you. No one here would advise you pay this.

I know this is easy to say, but you!!!8217;ve nothing to get stressed about - and we are always here if you have further worries. And should, in the vanishingly unlikely event of court papers coming your way, come back and we!!!8217;ll help you with those. Try to sleep easy.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 12-01-2018 at 3:46 PM.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Ms Brush
    • By Ms Brush 12th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Ms Brush
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    Thank you for both your answers, that is reassuring.

So, will read up on the link you suggested, and ignore DRP. That makes life a bit simpler...

Will be in touch again, as these look as though this is an ongoing saga!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 9,502 Posts
    • 9,271 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    Obviously I don't want to pay this, but equally I cant have them taking me to court!

Why not, a County Court claim is very small beer, It is simply a way of deciding who owes whom what. No wigs, no gowns , and no scaffold.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • bergkamp
    • By bergkamp 12th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    bergkamp
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    Thank you for both your answers, that is reassuring.

So, will read up on the link you suggested, and ignore DRP. That makes life a bit simpler...

Will be in touch again, as these look as though this is an ongoing saga!
    Originally posted by Ms Brush
    Ignore the Zenith letter that comes next as well...

https://bmpa.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203589972-Debt-Recovery-Plus-Ltd-also-t-as-Parking-Collection-Services-Zenith-Collections?mobile_site=true
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter