Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 6,541Posts
    • 2,739Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Plusnet- 30 charge for disconnection of broadband
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    Plusnet- 30 charge for disconnection of broadband 12th Jan 18 at 10:45 AM
    My sister is currently with Plusnet for Phone & Broadband. Her 12 month contract will end on 30 January next. She has decided that at that point that she will cease her landline and broadband in order to go fully mobile.

Apparently, Plusnet charge a cessation fe of 30 for disconnecting broadband from an exchange line where that exchange line is being ceased, as opposed to being transferred to a new provider.

This is just to warn people of this charge, and details of it can be found here:

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/
    Last edited by Steve_xx; 12-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    Not just plusnet - this is the norm for ceasing irrespective of how much notice you give
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    Not just plusnet - this is the norm for ceasing irrespective of how much notice you give
    Originally posted by Quentin
    It's the first time I've come across this charge. Though I have to say, my sister is the first person I know who has decided to terminate her landline to go fully mobile. Currently she uses 3 on a PAYG basis, ie 3p per minute for calls and 2p for texts etc.

The real probelm here is landline providers charging their connection fees of around 20p per call, plus the per minute charge for the call. It's a no-brainer that one is going to make a one minute call from a 3 mobile costing 3p, rather than using a landline to make where the charge for the first minute to another landline is going to cost around 35p.

I can't imagine why landline providers have effectively signed their own death warrant. I also can't understand why OFCOM haven't interfered with 'connection fees'.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    I can't imagine why landline providers have effectively signed their own death warrant. I also can't understand why OFCOM haven't interfered with 'connection fees'.
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Because anyone who plans to use the landline probably pays the 5 a month extra for unlimited calls I would think.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    Because anyone who plans to use the landline probably pays the 5 a month extra for unlimited calls I would think.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I can see some advantage of retaining a landline and paying 5 extra month for unlimited calls, ie if thre is more than one person at the property it may be advantageous. But if you're a singleperson, not so, I'd say.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,185 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    K
    It's the first time I've come across this charge. Though I have to say, my sister is the first person I know who has decided to terminate her landline to go fully mobile. Currently she uses 3 on a PAYG basis, ie 3p per minute for calls and 2p for texts etc.
    The cease charge is for cancellation of the broadband not the landline.

All set out in the BB ts and cs
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    It's a charge levied by Openreach on all ISPs that use their infrastructure. Some ISPs absorb the cost themselves but others pass it on to the end user
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    K

The cease charge is for cancellation of the broadband not the landline.

All set out in the BB ts and cs
    Yes I know what it's for. But, there was never a charge for ceasing an exchange line, and therefore, I don't understand why there ought to be one for ceasing broadband service from an exchange line.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    I can see some advantage of retaining a landline and paying 5 extra month for unlimited calls, ie if thre is more than one person at the property it may be advantageous. But if you're a singleperson, not so, I'd say.
    Some people live in areas where even a voice connection on mobile is not always available. EE say my home has 4G inside (I live in a "village" of about 3000 people). Most days it does, just. Other days it can't even manage a phone call. The advantage to me in retaining a landline, apart from in having a decent choice of ISP, is having a phone service that actually works all of the time.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Some people live in areas where even a voice connection on mobile is not always available. EE say my home has 4G inside (I live in a "village" of about 3000 people). Most days it does, just. Other days it can't even manage a phone call. The advantage to me in retaining a landline, apart from in having a decent choice of ISP, is having a phone service that actually works all of the time.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    I take your point and I accept that for you, that landline provision is essential, at least at the moment.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 7,524 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Until someone posts to say otherwise, I have good reason to believe that it is only Plusnet that now pass on the Broadband Cessation Charge.

I ceased a line/broadband with Origin B, wasnt charged a penny let alone 30.00

BT themselves have scrapped the charge

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Until someone posts to say otherwise, I have good reason to believe that it is only Plusnet that now pass on the Broadband Cessation Charge.

I ceased a line/broadband with Origin B, wasnt charged a penny let alone 30.00

BT themselves have scrapped the charge

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    That's interesting regarding BT scrapping this onerous charge. PlusNet cite the charge as emanating from BT themselves; though of course really they mean Openreach. Nevertheless it's a good point to note that BT have scrapped it.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 12th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 7,524 Posts
    • 9,640 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Plusnet seemingly said it best when it said nothing at all - I am not currently a Plusnet Customer

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Broadband-Cessation-Charge/m-p/1498118#M319817
    Often what I dont say is more significant than what i do say ........
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    unforeseen
    That's interesting regarding BT scrapping this onerous charge. PlusNet cite the charge as emanating from BT themselves; though of course really they mean Openreach. Nevertheless it's a good point to note that BT have scrapped it.
    Did you miss the bit where it says that it no longer applies to BT BROADBAND?

This is not a removal of the Openreach charge to ISPs but a decision by BT to absorb the cost as other ISPs have done
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Did you miss the bit where it says that it no longer applies to BT BROADBAND?

This is not a removal of the Openreach charge to ISPs but a decision by BT to absorb the cost as other ISPs have done
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    I had not missed that fact.
    • LazyTyper
    • By LazyTyper 12th Jan 18, 7:34 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    LazyTyper
    It's a charge levied by Openreach on all ISPs that use their infrastructure. Some ISPs absorb the cost themselves but others pass it on to the end user
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    It's actually a charge BT Wholesale charge to stop the broadband supply, not Openreach.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 12th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 6,541 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    The issue with Plusnet has been resolved favourably.
    • Balal
    • By Balal 25th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Balal
    How have you managed to resolve the issue? Plusnet have informed me today that the cessation charge of 31 is payable if I leave to Virgin.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 28th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    phillw
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/support/customer-service/cessation-charges.html#whatIsIt still do, although they are a front for plusnet....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,848Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter