Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • _pete_
    • By _pete_ 12th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    • 131Posts
    • 36Thanks
    _pete_
    Selling Fund 'Mid Year'. Do I lose Dividends?
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:43 AM
    Selling Fund 'Mid Year'. Do I lose Dividends? 12th Jan 18 at 10:43 AM
    I'm assuming that if I sell a fund a month or so before its dividend date I will not receive any dividend (not even pro-rata).

Is this correct?

Should I therefore take into account the dividend date of a fund before selling it?

And ditto when buying funds?
Page 1
    • TheTracker
    • By TheTracker 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    TheTracker
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    I'm assuming that if I sell a fund a month or so before its dividend date I will not receive any dividend (not even pro-rata).

Is this correct?

Should I therefore take into account the dividend date of a fund before selling it?

And ditto when buying funds?
    Originally posted by _pete_
    In theory, the current price of the fund incorporates this circumstance.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 12th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:38 AM
    If you don't own the fund/share on the ex-dividend date you don't get the dividend, however the price will reflect the dividends/cash accrued to date so you should benefit from the increased value on sale (a sort of pro-rata). It's a similar situation when you buy but reversed. It may suit you from a tax point of view to receive dividends rather than a capital gain but only to a small degree
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,739Users online

Martin's Twitter