Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Enigmaman
    • By Enigmaman 12th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 175Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Enigmaman
    is there any chance of Building Society windfalls ever again?
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    is there any chance of Building Society windfalls ever again? 12th Jan 18 at 9:58 AM
    I expect this question has been asked before, but I have been keeping two BS accounts open in the sole hope of obtaining a windfall.

I have done very well out of various institutions' demutualisations and takeovers in the past, but is there any chance of either the Leeds or the Nationwide ever going that way, and even if they did, as the rules stand is there any chance of getting something out of them?
Page 2
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 12th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    18cc
    Greedy account holders aka carpetbaggers.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 12th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,400 Posts
    • 1,826 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Originally posted by 18cc
    This.

Months later moaning about the service, availability of branches and lack of decent new and retained products after pocketing the bribe no doubt!
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 12th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    IanManc
    There was another Leeds (permanent) building society - commonly known as the Leeds - which was taken over by the Halifax in 1995. All their branches were rebranded as Halifax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_Permanent_Building_Society

Leeds Building Society was known as Leeds and Holbeck pre 2005 - they borrowed the name.

But Leeds and Holbeck and Leeds were the same - just as the Saffron Walden Herts and Essex became Saffron. Shorter names - more memorable.
    Originally posted by Rich2808
    Yes, I know that there was a Leeds Permanent Building Society - I was a customer - but the previous poster wasn't talking about it - he was talking about the lack of a windfall when the Leeds and Holbeck became the Leeds - so nothing to do with Leeds permanent merging with the Halifax Building Society and then later becoming a bank.

The whole point of my post was the Leeds and Holbeck and Leeds were the same!

• talexuser
    • By talexuser 12th Jan 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    talexuser
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Yep, it was all my fault. The directors had nothing to do with it.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 12,148 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    But when we greedy account holders were offered 1500 plus.......what would you do
    In the plain light of day what was offered would take a very long time to make in interest so in my case it was a no brainer....take the cash or shares and move on to the next one.
    I just wish at the time i had more money to open more accounts as i missed a few which had high account balance limits but got most of the juicy windfalls
    Originally posted by gardner1
    Well, I was an account holder at the time and voted against demutualisation. When it was obvious what was happening I decided not to open accounts with other mutuals under threat because I thought that the whole thing was immoral...

Fairly soon after the whole fiasco I was stranded abroad because my then bank, Abbey National, messed up on paying a credit card bill. That was when I began to pay the price for what had happened to this sector... over the last couple of weeks I have wasted hours on the phone trying to resolve minor issues with banks, and feel that I am continuing to pay the price for your holidays. I suggest that what the average customer has lost in terms of quality of banking services is vastly greater than minor cash handouts that a few carpet-baggers managed to trouser. Obviously the directors and senior managers were the ones who gained the most.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 12th Jan 18, 11:03 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 3,751 Thanks
    gardner1
    Well, I was an account holder at the time and voted against demutualisation. When it was obvious what was happening I decided not to open accounts with other mutuals under threat because I thought that the whole thing was immoral...

Fairly soon after the whole fiasco I was stranded abroad because my then bank, Abbey National, messed up on paying a credit card bill. That was when I began to pay the price for what had happened to this sector... over the last couple of weeks I have wasted hours on the phone trying to resolve minor issues with banks, and feel that I am continuing to pay the price for your holidays. I suggest that what the average customer has lost in terms of quality of banking services is vastly greater than minor cash handouts that a few carpet-baggers managed to trouser. Obviously the directors and senior managers were the ones who gained the most.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    I think most people would expect a hell of a lot of customer service to make up for 1000-1500......and if you think the directors of said societies wouldn't have p155ed the reserves up the wall your deluded
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,937Users online

Martin's Twitter