Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • photek1000
    • By photek1000 12th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 9Thanks
    photek1000
    Exchanged item better than original
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    Exchanged item better than original 12th Jan 18 at 9:35 AM
    An odd question this one, just to see if I'll have any issues in the future.

I bought my Son an XBox One S 500GB for Christmas from a major retailer and it lasted 2 weeks before going faulty and I returned it via the retailer for an exchange.

They had none in stock, not unusual even the original took three weeks to materialise, so one was requested from the warehouse, 3 - 4 days delivery estimate.

After the full fours days I finally get a call to say it is ready for collection and I collected last night.

The item I was presented with and left the store with was an XBox One S 1TB, so an upgrade.

I have no issue with this as I have had much waiting for the original and the replacement but where do I stand if they think they have made a mistake and want to swap it again or further down the line still if this one goes faulty as the receipt shows the original spec?
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11,097 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    I'd very much doubt they'll do anything. If you're that worried then contact the retailer.
    • photek1000
    • By photek1000 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    photek1000
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    I'm not worried, just more want an understanding of how consumer law works in this scenario, it's not one I can find much information on.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    It depends, if they know they have given you the higher model and did so willingly then there should be some paper trail alluding to the fact, and you would be covered should anything go wrong with it. If however it was a mistake and the paper trail all shows the 500gb model and they just accidentally picked up the wrong box then should anything ever go wrong you have no proof of purchase and they have up to six years to claim either the better mid l back or the price difference between the two.

As you know there is potentially a mistake the sensible thing to do would be to contact them to clarify and possibly rectify the situation. Best case they either know you have the 1tb version or will allow you to keep it at no extra cost. Worst case they may offer to exchange it again for the correct one. They may also offer you to pay the difference (or less than the full difference for their mistake) and let you keep the 1tb version.
    • photek1000
    • By photek1000 12th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    photek1000
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    Thanks Fosterdog, something to mull over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin