Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jan 18, 4:53 AM
    • 1,443Posts
    • 15,378Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Friday 12th January 2018
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:53 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 12th January 2018 12th Jan 18 at 4:53 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 6,479 Posts
    • 41,208 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon everyone.

Late posting from me, DM and I have spent the morning going through her boxes and boxes of jewellery. She has some lovely pieces, some inherited / sentimental pieces and loads of costume stuff too. I really enjoyed doing it with her; I remember her wearing some when I was a child and other pieces which I didn!!!8217;t know the history of which came from her grandmother.

We!!!8217;ve now got three piles out of her hoard - keepers, charity shoppers and some to get an expert opinion about. The nearest auction house is the one owned and run by Anita from Antiques Roadshow etc.

After years of asking DM eventually allowed me to throw about the length of my hair which she had kept after I had it cut off in 1979. I was shocked to see how auburn brown it was, I!!!8217;m now very greying.

Now she!!!8217;s !!!8216;resting!!!8217; by her laptop playing FreeCell!

Get better vibes all round and happy rest of Friday to everyone.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 71,098 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all,

Bahh ive had a threat of a cold now since last weekend. My nose starts running, my throat goes sore and then it disappears again. How strange....

On the plus side, ive discovered the usefulness of the turbo brush that goes on my vacuum. Ive used it before on the stairs but the beater foot on my vacuum is a bit rattly so until Grump can have a look at it ive been using the turbo brush attachment...its brill. A bit harder work yes but oh so worth it!

Bleach washed the side of the house, steamed the floors, chicken is in the oven (havent had chicken since Christmas day) and had a bath. Thats me done till tea time.... Off to watch a bit more Big Bang Theory. i'm up to season 6.

Prodigal asked me yesterday if i had coloured my hair cause it was blue. Funny he said that cause i thought the same a few days ago but i couldnt understand how it could be as i'd have only used shampoo and conditioner.... Noticed today that the shampoo has a blue transparent tint to it. My hair must be porous and grabbed the colour of the shampoo.

ScarlettR So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Hester Sorry to hear of your fall. Your supposed to be in retirement but your working harder than ever!

csarina2 You worry me. Do you have any outside help with your OH? Do you manage to get out by yourself at times? So much stress on your shoulders.

Karcher Still thinking of you.

Nmlc Sorry to hear your Mum is not good.

Dumpling any news from the hospital?

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 12th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 8,535 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Morning everyone

Mrs Salad Dodger - the recipe for the Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom pie is as follows -

Boneless and Skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces, saute them in a large pan (I use my wok), add bacon lardons saute until nearly cooked, then add chopped mushrooms and I cheat and use a jar of white wine cooking sauce or a can of condensed chicken soup (add some milk or water to thin it down but not too much) - just cook this for a few minutes so the sauce is bubbling then transfer to a pie dish and I use a sheet of ready made puff pastry for the pie top and bake in the oven until the pastry is risen and golden - normally at 30 minutes at 200c. Absolutely lovely it is - I make a large one that should really feed 5-6 people but the menfolk here generally have a second helping so it doesn't last long.

I just experimented with different ingredients until I found what worked for us - that's why there's no set amounts.

Hope this helps.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Originally posted by nmlc
    Thanks for that, nmlc. I always use frozen puff pastry. However never thought about a can of condensed chicken soup. I have to say what is wrong with ‘cheating’ so as I am about to go shopping I will add this to my list.

My DH will be impressed if I can manage without a precise recipe!

Thanks again & I will try to remember to post about the result!

MrsSD
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 12,452 Posts
    • 40,120 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nelski Pity we didn't live closer, I could have taken your Mum on while you are incapacitated, I'm a dab hand at it now . Happy that you may not have to wait too long for your op .
    [
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Grief no I like you too much for that nanny I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy....now talking about my brother...
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Nelski . Thanks for that, now I wish I had a brother..................perhaps not
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 12th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Is anyone else having problems posting? Every time I try to like a post on this page it keeps telling me that I don't have permission to access this page. Then kicks me out of the thread.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Yes, that's just happened to me Holly, but I got back into the thread ok.

Thanks for the condolences on the loss of my friend, that's the second close friend in a month.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 71,098 Thanks
    Judi
    Think i am going to have to change my shampoo. My hair is definately blue. Google says grey hair (which mine is, is porous).

No problem posting here, just dont have a lot to say..... thats a first.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 41,212 Thanks
    Floss
    Is anyone else having problems posting? Every time I try to like a post on this page it keeps telling me that I don't have permission to access this page. Then kicks me out of the thread.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Yes, me too...no idea why. I've tried on both my phone and my pc.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 15,965 Posts
    • 135,487 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good evening chums,
    sadly our 'Fighting Frank' passed away at 5.30 this evening with his wife of 62 years holding one hand and his daughter Fran holding the other.

He is now out of pain and the family will rally round to support Margaret.

A lovely chap who adored his wife, his daughter Fran and son Ashley (my son-in-law) and their grandchildren.

He wasn't rich or famous, but he worked hard all of his life to give his family the best he could. We all have many happy memories of him ,especially at Christmas when all the family got together, and he adored all of his own, and my grandchildren

My youngest Grandson Mikey adored him, as my late OH sadly had passed away before he was born so his adopted 'Granddad Frank' taught him to play cards, and would pull his leg as he did with all the children.
    A thoroughly decent man who lived a good life and is now thankfully out of pain

remember our Frank if you have a deity whom you believe in as I will tonight and I will also pray for his smashing wife Margaret who is the one in pain tonight

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes

love to everyone

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 12,452 Posts
    • 40,120 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good evening chums,
    sadly our 'Fighting Frank' passed away at 5.30 this evening with his wife of 62 years holding one hand and his daughter Fran holding the other.

A lovely chap who adored his wife, his daughter Fran and son Ashley (my son-in-law) and their grandchildren.

He wasn't rich or famous, but he worked hard all of his life to give his family the best he could. We all have many happy memories of him ,especially at Christmas when all the family got together, and he adored all of his own, and my grandchildren

My youngest Grandson Mikey adored him, as my late OH sadly had passed away before he was born so his adopted 'Granddad Frank' taught him to play cards, and would pull his leg as he did with all the children.

remember our Frank if you have a deity whom you believe in as I will tonight and I will also pray for his smashing wife Margaret who is the one in pain tonight

love to everyone

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Sorry for your loss Jackie I know it was expected but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. Take care and your job with Margaret starts now ....I know she will be glad to have you at this difficult time xxx
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 49,927 Thanks
    monnagran
    JackieO, I wont bother praying for Frank as I am perfectly sure that he is whooping it up with the angels already. But I will pray very hard for Margaret, hers will be a hard road to travel now. And the rest of this lovely family too, they will miss him so much.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 15,378 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Good evening chums,

love to everyone

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Sorry for your loss Jackie. Even though it was expected it doesn't take away the pain for those left behind. I know that you will be doing what you can for Margaret and the other members of your family, but take care of yourself as well xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 12th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 2,832 Posts
    • 30,485 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I am both sorry to hear of your family's loss Jackie and relieved that Frank is no longer in pain. Love and hugs to you and yours xxx
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 12th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Sorry to hear of the whole families loss will say a prayer for you all especially Margaret x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 16,239 Posts
    • 71,098 Thanks
    Judi
    So sad and relieved to hear of Franks passing.

He's at peace now.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,139 Posts
    • 26,366 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to hear of Franks passing, my thoughts are with his loved ones x
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 27,877 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Condolences on Frank's passing. The family, especially Margaret, are in my thoughts. He is at peace now xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 46,735 Thanks
    camelot1001
    So sorry JackieO.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 6,479 Posts
    • 41,208 Thanks
    Gers
    Condolences from me too JackieO.

Keep strong.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    JackieO I am sorry to read about Frank's passing. My thoughts are with Margaret and your family. I offer my love and support to all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin