Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 11th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 207Posts
    • 224Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    What would you do...?
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    What would you do...? 11th Jan 18 at 10:52 PM
    Hi all, looking for some views from the experts and experienced persons on here please.

Imagine you a single person that has to move house in the next few months. You are unafflicted with job/partner/children. You have a cash pot of approx 130k. You fancy a complete change and are thinking of moving to a whole new area. Possibly a Derbyshire or Leicestershire market town type place.

How much do you spend on a house? As prices are cheapish now, do you spend the majority of your money on, say, a period semi, while they're within reach, and just keep a little in reserve? Or get a cheaper character mid-terrace and keep a bunch of money at your disposal cos you never know what's around the corner (new boiler or burst pipe or your jalopy finally gives up etc)? What kind of figure is a sensible reserve, and what kind of things have you all experienced going wrong out of the blue?

Thanks for any replies
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 6,515 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    surely rather depends on whether you are a young single person likely to get a decent job in these out of the way places or someone who is trading quality of life improvements for a modest to low wage with limited prospect of building a pot for the future so what they have now is what they will always have.

and yes I do know someone who at 28 moved from London to the Peak District, loves every minute of his home life near Matlock, but "had" to take a job in Manchester for economic reasons, and now spends just as long commuting as he did when down here in the smoke.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 11th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    I'm looking at access/uni courses so I'll be able to get a decent job in a few years. Any job will do while I get myself going
    Having to commute long distances cos that's where the job is not appealing, modest and no commute is more me.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 6,359 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    I'm looking at access/uni courses so I'll be able to get a decent job in a few years. Any job will do while I get myself going
    Having to commute long distances cos that's where the job is not appealing, modest and no commute is more me.
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes
    Wherever it is it needs to be close to one of the top 30 or so universities. They are the ones that offer degrees that lead to better jobs than you can get without a degree.
    https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

If you go to most of the others all you will get is a debt and not a good job because they don't offer degrees that employers want. Not all university degrees lead to a better job than you can get without a degree. Most of them don't make any difference.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 11th Jan 18, 11:39 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:39 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:39 PM
    Great site, thanks for the link Cakeguts.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 11th Jan 18, 11:45 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:45 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:45 PM
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11771384/The-best-paid-jobs-you-can-get-without-a-degree-Tube-driver-perhaps.html

2 minutes interesting reading
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Jan 18, 1:50 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:50 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:50 AM
    Imagine you a single person.

Get a cheaper character mid-terrace and keep a bunch of money at your disposal cos you never know what's around the corner (new boiler or burst pipe or your jalopy finally gives up etc)? What kind of figure is a sensible reserve, and what kind of things have you all experienced going wrong out of the blue?
    Originally posted by YoungBlueEyes

No need to imagine I am.

This, it's just bricks and mortar, means nothing to me, had the kitchen completey done as it was outdated and I'm like yeah ok it's still just a kitchen what a waste a money! Saving for New York now.

I had a leaking flat roof, needed a new roof.

Car written off, so had to get a new one, the payout didn't cover what I wanted.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 12-01-2018 at 1:56 AM.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 12th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    I!!!8217;m avoiding flat roofs, and end terraces.
    I!!!8217;m of a similar mindset - not at all materialistic, not a lover of !!!8216;stuff!!!8217;, a house is a house is a house. It!!!8217;s more of a !!!8216;most finanicially sensible!!!8217; question.
    Good luck with New York
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 12th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 17,219 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    I would rent in the new area first. Firstly to see if I liked it and secondly to find out what type of property I would like to live in. I did that when I moved to a new area and rented the type of property I thought I would like to buy, turned out I was glad only to be stuck in it for 12 months.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 37,310 Posts
    • 157,171 Thanks
    silvercar
    Possibly a Derbyshire or Leicestershire market town type place.

How much do you spend on a house? As prices are cheapish now, .....
    Buying in an area you don't know, where prices are cheapish! Sounds a recipe for disaster. Prices are cheap for a reason. Rent first.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,515Users online

Martin's Twitter