Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,690Posts
    • 4,682Thanks
    jazabelle
    3 Month Old Laptop Broken
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    3 Month Old Laptop Broken 11th Jan 18 at 10:37 PM
    Three months ago I purchased a laptop from Argos.

A few days ago I had the laptop on a desk, and went to tilt the screen towards me slightly. This was in a normal gentle manner. There was a huge crack, and it cracked across the area the power cable goes in and along the seam there to where it connects to the screen. It stopped the lid from being able to close and was obviously left very vulnerable to the whole screen coming off, plus as it was worrying being so close to the power cable.

I contacted Argos to inform them of this, and to ask how I got it fixed under warranty. They then informed me it would likely be not covered as they would class it as damaged.

I was using the laptop as it was intended - I wasn't swinging it around by the screen or doing anything incorrectly. I pointed out that surely they must agree a laptop should last longer than three months, and there was clearly a fault on the connection point of the screen to the base. His response was that 'plastic could not be faulty.'

At the moment they have taken it in to review it and to decide if it's covered or not.

I just wanted to ask what I could do if they say it isn't please?

I've taken a video to show what it looked like after the crack. The yellow is the original tape that came with it which I quite liked so didn't remove!

http://sendvid.com/1395zjij
    Last edited by jazabelle; 11-01-2018 at 11:49 PM.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    If you are claiming under warranty, you need to adhere to the T&C of the warranty.

Your consumer rights are separate to any warranty and may have better leverage.

Either way, the fact you are disabled and housebound has no bearing on the outcome, why include it?
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    jazabelle
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    I was explaining to people on this forum that my laptop means a lot to me and why, that's all.
    "There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful as expectation of something better tomorrow." - Orison Swett Marden
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:56 PM
    I was explaining to people on this forum that my laptop means a lot to me and why, that's all.
    Originally posted by jazabelle
    It isn't relevant, to anyone. It seems you want it to have some leverage...

I just wanted to ask what I could do if they say it isn't. I saved up a long time to get this laptop and I'm disabled and housebound so it is literally my world a lot of the time, and it didn't even cross my mind they'd even quibble it as a laptop shouldn't crack after three months!
    As I said, your warranty depends entirely on the warranty T&C.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    Either way, the fact you are disabled and housebound has no bearing on the outcome, why include it?
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    It may well have a bearing on the outcome. In fact, it's my opinion that it should have a bearing.

The Consumer rights act states that any repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
    The fact that the OP is housebound and may possibly rely on their computer far more than someone who is able bodied and who can get out and about with no problem could mean that if the repair/replacement drags on for too long, this could impact their daily life far more than it might do if the computer was mine or yours.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:06 PM
    It may well have a bearing on the outcome. In fact, it's my opinion that it should have a bearing.

The Consumer rights act states that any repair or replacement must be carried out within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
    The fact that the OP is housebound and may possibly rely on their computer far more than someone who is able bodied and who can get out and about with no problem could mean that if the repair/replacement drags on for too long, this could impact their daily life far more than it might do if the computer was mine or yours.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Did you not read the op? No, you didn't.

The op is claiming under warranty.

Quite where you read these stories is beyond me. The op only had a problem "a few days ago". Where does your "drags on for too long" come in?

Read. Think, then post.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 11-01-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 11th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:13 PM
    Did you not read the op? No, you didn't.

The op is claiming under warranty.

Quite where you read these stories is beyond me. The op only had a problem "a few days ago". Where does your "drags on for too long" come in?

Read. Think, then post.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I think that you should also "Read, think then post"
    If you read my post a bit better, you will see I stated that if the repair drags on too long" and by pointing out their personal circumstances to Argos, they may be able to ensure that this doesn't happen.
    • bris
    • By bris 11th Jan 18, 11:20 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:20 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:20 PM
    If you read my post a bit better, you will see I stated that if the repair drags on too long" and by pointing out their personal circumstances to Argos, they may be able to ensure that this doesn't happen.
    The OP is going for sympathy, its has no bearing on the facts. The facts are the laptop has physical damage, it's not covered under warranty or consumer rights. If being disabled can prove it's not physical damage then good luck to the op to prove it.
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 11th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    jazabelle
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    I was not 'going for sympathy' I was purely expressing my frustration I was now without a laptop when it means a lot to me, and I'm pretty stuck without it for lots of different reasons. It was really just a throwaway line explaining that, I don't know why you've had to be so nasty about it in response.

Surely items should be fit for purpose and using it in a normal manner shouldn't cause it to break? If you bought a new car and on opening the door to get in the door broke off, then surely there must be an issue with it when it's a brand new car? I wasn't doing anything with the laptop I shouldn't.
    • frankennsteiny
    • By frankennsteiny 11th Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    frankennsteiny
    Have a look at this mse post here explaining your rights when buying it may help you.
    ***.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Sorry can't post the full link being new but change the *** to www

Also I find complaining to companies through twitter can help lots as most companies hate negative posts.
    • jazabelle
    • By jazabelle 11th Jan 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 4,682 Thanks
    jazabelle
    Thank you, I will read that and give that a go.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    As I said. The OP is claiming under her warranty rights, not the CRA.

There is nothing relevant in the warranty claim and a disability unless that warranty includes it.
    • London50
    • By London50 12th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    London50
    See if you could claim on home insurance for the damage then {if covered} get a replacement
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 12th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 1,313 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    Looks like the hinge has came lose from its fixture and caused damage to the casing.

Happens occasionally and is easy to tell if damage is caused by failure or mishap by a competent technician.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 12th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Remember that you have two choices:
    1. Claim under the warranty. The warranty gives you whateverit says it does. If you don't like the warranty terms, then that's tough.
    2. Claim under the Consumer Rights Act. Since it's over 30 days, and under 6 months old, they need to prove you broke it. If they can't, then they should give you a refund, repair or replacement.
    If you bought it on a credit card, then the Consumer Credit Act applies as well. If Argos refuses to do anything, then the credit card provider is jointly liable, and you can claim off them instead. In the first instance, call the bank and discuss it with them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 41,920 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    macman
    If you 'need' a laptop while it is under repair, then you need to buy one with an on-site warranty, not an RTB (return to base) one. This generally means buying a machine from a business supplier, not from Argos. They will then attempt to repair it at your home, if possible.
    Otherwise you can expect the repair to take at least a week. If you deal direct with the manufacturer it will be quicker, because all Argos will do is forward it to them. You will be liable for the transport cost if it's RTB.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

304Posts Today

3,706Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin