Refund for faulty item

I purchased a coat worth over £100 on credit card from a high street retailer. Before I paid for the coat I pointed out there is a defect. As it's a manufacturing defect which appears to affect all the coats of that particular style the retailer offered to repair it free of charge. I also checked the coat on retailers website as well as in store and the defect is clearly visible in the pictures.

I asked the retailer if I am entitled to a refund if the repair is of poor quality and has not corrected the original defect. They said that's not possible.

I just wanted to confirm if I am entitled to a refund under these circumstances or not.

Comments

• Are you saying they said they might not be able to fix it to the right standard and you still purchased it?
  • Pat26
    Pat26 Posts: 41
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I purchased it but haven't gone ahead with the repair.

If it isn't repaired then I can get a refund. If the repair goes ahead the retailer says I cannot get a refund even if the repair is of poor quality.

They did say they will carry out multiple repairs if required. But no refunds if repair goes ahead.

It's probably not worth the hassle to chase this but all the same I'd like to know what my rights are as a customer, if any, in this situation.
  • Did you buy instore?
  • Did you buy instore?
    The OP stated that they bought it in a high street store and that before paying, they pointed out the defect so I think it's safe to assume that this was the case.
  • Pat26
    Forumite
    Yes I did buy in store.

It's manufacturing fault that affected all the coats of that design. So my options were:
    - not buy the coat
    - or take up the stores offer to get it repaired free of charge but lose entitlement for refund even if the repair work is of poor quality
  • Pat26
    Forumite
    any advice anyone?

Or is that my options are just these?
    Pat26 wrote: »
    - not buy the coat
    - or take up the stores offer to get it repaired free of charge but lose entitlement for refund even if the repair work is of poor quality
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,432
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    any advice anyone?

Take it back for a refund.

Do you really want the hassle that anything else may bring?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    Goods to be of satisfactory quality
    (1)Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the quality of the goods is satisfactory.

(4)The term mentioned in subsection (1) does not cover anything which makes the quality of the goods unsatisfactory—

(a)which is specifically drawn to the consumer’s attention before the contract is made,
    (b)where the consumer examines the goods before the contract is made, which that examination ought to reveal, or
    (c)in the case of a contract to supply goods by sample, which would have been apparent on a reasonable examination of the sample.

And from the CRA's explanatory notes:
    64.Subsection (4) provides that if the consumer is made aware of a particular defect before making the contract then that defect will not be grounds for finding the goods to be unsatisfactory. If the consumer examined the goods before making the contract then a defect which should have been revealed by the examination will not be grounds for finding the goods to be unsatisfactory. If the goods were supplied by sample (even if the consumer did not actually examine the sample) then a defect which should have been revealed by a reasonable examination of the sample will not be grounds for finding the goods to be unsatisfactory.

Sorry OP but it doesn't look like you do have the right to refund - regardless or whether it is repaired or not.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pat26
    Forumite
    I have already agreed with the manager that I will seek a refund if the repair DOES NOT go ahead. It's written on my receipt. So I as KeithP said it's not worth the hassle and refund it is...

In my opinion these items should not be even on the shop floor because of the fault is obvious. So essentially the retailer has been selling faulty good to customers without declaring they are faulty. Looks like I'm the only customer who's found the defect!

In any case thanks for the info on Consumer Rights Act, best to keep in mind in a retail minefield these days.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have already agreed with the manager that I will seek a refund if the repair DOES NOT go ahead. It's written on my receipt. So I as KeithP said it's not worth the hassle and refund it is...

In my opinion these items should not be even on the shop floor because of the fault is obvious. So essentially the retailer has been selling faulty good to customers without declaring they are faulty. Looks like I'm the only customer who's found the defect!

In any case thanks for the info on Consumer Rights Act, best to keep in mind in a retail minefield these days.

If you believe that why did you consider buying it then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure