Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitkat1909
    • By kitkat1909 11th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kitkat1909
    Washing Machine Drama
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    Washing Machine Drama 11th Jan 18 at 10:00 PM
    Hi all,

We bought a new washing machine when we moved in to our house in April 2017. It's a Russell Hobbs machine, which we purchased through Argos for approx. 200.

On 29th December, we put on a load of washing. We heard a strange noise, like a really loud banging, coming from the utility room and when we went through, the machine had moved from it's original position by approx. 5 to 6 inches. We paused the cycle, pushed the machine back, then restarted it. We were then looking underneath it to see if it had maybe become unbalanced, when we noticed that there was blue sparks coming from underneath, and a strange smell. In the time it took us to stand up, the sparks were coming right out from the front casing. We turned it off immediately, and powered it off at the wall. I honestly dread to think what could have happened if we'd not gone through or if we'd not been home.

The next day, we phoned Argos customer service, who said that they wouldn't provide a replacement machine or a refund until someone had been out to look at it. We heard back from their engineer later that day to say it would be 3rd January before they could come. We don't live anywhere near family, and don't have anywhere locally that we could do our washing. We went back to Argos to say that we'd really only be happy with a replacement, or a refund, because we didn't think the machine was safe. They insisted that they wouldn't do anything until someone had been out and didn't offer any solution for our washing over the next week.

We decided to order a new machine from Curry's, because regardless of whether the machine was fixable or not, I wouldn't have felt comfortable using it ever again, or using a replacement of the same model. I was also worried that if the engineer did come out and say it wasn't fixable, that we'd be yet another week waiting on a replacement coming. Meanwhile the washing pile was mounting up.

The engineer came to look at the machine on 3rd, on the same day that our new machine was also delivered. The engineer said that there was a brush which had become sticky due to a build up of carbon, and that this was what caused the sparks from the motor. He replaced the relevant parts. He told us that this shouldn't have happened on an 8 month old machine, and wouldn't comment on whether it might happen again.

All we want is for Argos to take the old machine away and give us our money back, but they're refusing to do this. My husband put a complaint in to them via Resolver.co.uk, and asked for a refund, and they offered us 20 as full and final compensation.

Am I being unreasonable by asking for a full refund? I don't think they're being fair by expecting us to continue using that machine. I would not trust it at all. Russell Hobbs won't comment as they're saying that we need to deal with Argos since the purchase was less than 1 year ago.

The reason I'm even more confused about their approach is that 3 years ago, Argos delivered and installed a washing machine in our flat, and they didn't tighten it properly, causing a small leak which we didn't notice until our hardwood flooring popped up and warped out of place. There was nothing wrong with the machine, but they insisted on replace it, free of charge, and compensated us to have all new flooring put down, absolutely no questions asked. I'm really disappointed by their response this time around.

What does everyone think? Do we have any rights? I'm not sure whether to go to trading standards, or our MP, or if to just give up

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kat
Page 1
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 9,930 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:12 PM
    Argos actually went beyond what they were obliged to do. As the machine was over 6 months old they could have asked you to prove that it was inherently faulty, but they sent an engineer out at their own expense to investigate. He found it was faulty and repaired it - because the seller gets to choose whether to repair,replace or refund, not the customer. You now have two working washing machines - choose which one you want to sell and advertise on eBay, gumtree or give it away.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 11th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    Hi all,

We bought a new washing machine when we moved in to our house in April 2017. It's a Russell Hobbs machine, which we purchased through Argos for approx. 200.

On 29th December, we put on a load of washing. We heard a strange noise, like a really loud banging, coming from the utility room and when we went through, the machine had moved from it's original position by approx. 5 to 6 inches. We paused the cycle, pushed the machine back, then restarted it. We were then looking underneath it to see if it had maybe become unbalanced, when we noticed that there was blue sparks coming from underneath, and a strange smell. In the time it took us to stand up, the sparks were coming right out from the front casing. We turned it off immediately, and powered it off at the wall. I honestly dread to think what could have happened if we'd not gone through or if we'd not been home.

The next day, we phoned Argos customer service, who said that they wouldn't provide a replacement machine or a refund until someone had been out to look at it. We heard back from their engineer later that day to say it would be 3rd January before they could come. We don't live anywhere near family, and don't have anywhere locally that we could do our washing. We went back to Argos to say that we'd really only be happy with a replacement, or a refund, because we didn't think the machine was safe. They insisted that they wouldn't do anything until someone had been out and didn't offer any solution for our washing over the next week.

We decided to order a new machine from Curry's, because regardless of whether the machine was fixable or not, I wouldn't have felt comfortable using it ever again, or using a replacement of the same model. I was also worried that if the engineer did come out and say it wasn't fixable, that we'd be yet another week waiting on a replacement coming. Meanwhile the washing pile was mounting up.

The engineer came to look at the machine on 3rd, on the same day that our new machine was also delivered. The engineer said that there was a brush which had become sticky due to a build up of carbon, and that this was what caused the sparks from the motor. He replaced the relevant parts. He told us that this shouldn't have happened on an 8 month old machine, and wouldn't comment on whether it might happen again.

All we want is for Argos to take the old machine away and give us our money back, but they're refusing to do this. My husband put a complaint in to them via Resolver.co.uk, and asked for a refund, and they offered us 20 as full and final compensation.

Am I being unreasonable by asking for a full refund? I don't think they're being fair by expecting us to continue using that machine. I would not trust it at all. Russell Hobbs won't comment as they're saying that we need to deal with Argos since the purchase was less than 1 year ago.

The reason I'm even more confused about their approach is that 3 years ago, Argos delivered and installed a washing machine in our flat, and they didn't tighten it properly, causing a small leak which we didn't notice until our hardwood flooring popped up and warped out of place. There was nothing wrong with the machine, but they insisted on replace it, free of charge, and compensated us to have all new flooring put down, absolutely no questions asked. I'm really disappointed by their response this time around.

What does everyone think? Do we have any rights? I'm not sure whether to go to trading standards, or our MP, or if to just give up

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kat
    Originally posted by kitkat1909
    So, 5 days after reporting a faulty machine, Argos had arranged a full repair.

Sounds like pretty good customer service!!
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 11th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    If the product is not satisfactory you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The trader can choose which of these though and will generally choose the most cost effective one (for them) which will often be repair.

You can't go direct to Trading Standards . Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline take calls on their behalf and will refer cases to TS for review.

If there is a safety concern TS may take an interest so you can certainly report it but TS won't get you a refund because you've already had an appropriate remedy.

CACH 03454040506
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 10:15 PM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 8,245 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I didn't read your post, it was too long. I did (I think) work out that you've had and used a machine for more than 6 months. In which case it is down to you to prove the fault was inherent. You won't be getting a refund just because you bought elsewhere because you wouldnt' feel "comfortable" using it again.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 11th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    You've got a working washing machine and 20. You're not due anything further. Even if the machine was still faulty you wouldn't be entitled to a full refund after 8 months of use.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    Yea, to mirror others...

As it was over 6 months it was technically on you to prove that it was a fault and not user damage. Fair play for Argos to send out an engineer and repair it for you!

If items are faulty then the retailer (Argos) need to pick one of the following remedies, you can't pick it though:

- Repair
    - Replacement
    - (Partial) refund

So yep, Argos have done everything (and more!) that they needed to do. AND you've got a 20 goodwill gesture, for seemingly no reason other than you've bought another washing machine and now have two!

You'd need to either:

1. Pay someone to remove the old washing machine and/or maybe sell it for scrap?

2. Get onto Currys and cancel your contract with them (if you are still within the timeframe and haven't accepted the item), returning the new washing machine and obtaining a full refund (minus the shipping costs if Currys don't pick it up).

PS, when I was a kid (and even just a few years ago on the odd occasion) we sometimes used the bath to wash clothes. Perfectly valid method to wash them, plus at a push you could ask neighbours to do a load for you with essential clothes (just give them a few quid, or buy them a bottle of wine etc). Many solutions to this problem, so I don't buy into what you say.
    Last edited by stuartJo1989; 11-01-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 11th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 10,028 Posts
    • 11,299 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:07 PM
    So, 5 days after reporting a faulty machine, Argos had arranged a full repair.

Sounds like pretty good customer service!!
    Originally posted by keithdc

It's even better when you consider that the fault was reported on a Saturday and between then and when the repair had been carried out 5 days later there had been a sunday and a public holiday.
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 13,172 Posts
    • 8,724 Thanks
    photome
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    sometimes consumers want it all!

great service from Argos and still the customer isnt happy

they fixed your machine in a very short time given the time of year.

what would you expect your MP to say
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I honestly dread to think what could have happened if we'd not gone through or if we'd not been home.

You shouldn't leave a washing machine or tumble dryer running when you are away from the home

Am I being unreasonable by asking for a full refund?

Yes

I'm not sure whether to go to trading standards, or our MP, or if to just give up.

TS would just refer you to CAB. If you're lucky, your MP would write to Argos, but would probably just get a reply explaining how they have acted in accordance with consumer legislation, so you have only one choice remaining....
    Originally posted by kitkat1909
    As others have said Argos have done the right thing
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 41,920 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    macman
    A Russell Hobbs branded washing machine will probably be a Vestel special: RH don't manufacture anything themselves anymore. For 200, a year f life or 250 cycles would be about as much as you can expect-I'm amazed they even had spare motor brushes for them.
    Even if Argos would take it back, you've had 8 months use from it, so you'd only get the current value, which is precisely zero.
    Next time, buy something from JL-that way you at least get a 2 year warranty.
    To get a reasonably long-lasting w/m you really need to spend about 400 upwards, anything less is a false economy.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

957Posts Today

8,149Users online

Martin's Twitter